Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 14:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Headlight

The Gixxer SF 250 has an all LED headlight setup. Compared to most of its similarly priced contemporaries like the R15, MT15, Xpulse, CBR250R and others that run LED headlights, the setup on the Suzuki is a clear step above. The Dominar’s powerful LED lights, will probably be more confidence inspiring than that of the Gixxer SF 250. This is based on me having seen several Dominar motorcycles in the night. I have not had the opportunity to compare them back to back.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143713-large.jpg
Side view

How do the headlights behave in the real world? The headlights have a really good spread, while the intensity could have been better. On deserted roads that are not illuminated, you can easily put your full trust in these headlights. Where you might have a tough time, is when there is traffic coming at you from the other side. Their headlights will wash out some of the illumination from your motorcycle. This is when you will wish that the output was more intense.

I have not ridden the motorcycle in the night, when it is raining. If, and when, I do so, Ill be sure to update this thread on how well the headlight performed.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143768-large.jpg
Front three-quarter view

The faired design of the Gixxer SF 250 does not leave you with any suitable mounting points for auxiliary lights. So, if you do plan to do a lot of late night / early morning riding, the naked Gixxer 250 and the VSTrom 250 will be better choices because you can easily install auxiliary lights on them. For motorcyclists in Kerala, this is a moot point. The ever vigilant MVD is always ready with their fines, so its best to stick to the stock setup.

Rating – 7 / 10

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:44.
neil.jericho is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Display

Let me preface my views on the display, by first mentioning that Suzuki’s motorcycle division has never really been renowned for its displays. Have you even seen the dash of the current GSX R1000? It is straight out of the 1990s.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-gsx-dash.png
Does this look like it belongs on a motorcycle that costs $ 16,439

The new Hayabusa and the GSX S1000 GT are the first signs that Suzuki is willing to buck the trend. That said, it is going to take quite a lot of time for class matching displays to trickle down to Suzuki’s more affordable offerings. Im not going to hold my breath ….

With that out of the way, I like the digital dash on the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250. Before you start muttering that I have lost all sense of objectivity, do read this entire post. The motorcycle does not have a fancy TFT unit. Nor is it a console that has an analog and digital combination (my preferred setup). This is a simple, old fashioned negative LCD display that does not give you a ton of information. Whatever is there on the dash of the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250, is available in an easy to grasp layout. The screen is not reflective and you can easily read it in the day time and in the night. I simply cannot wrap my head around the overcrowded and difficult to read displays on so many other mainstream motorcycles.

The dash of the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 provides all the information that you need, while abstaining from what you want. How very thoughtful of Suzuki!

This is not a busy digital dash that will confound you every time you look down at it. All that you get is
- A shift light indicator that can be set to a particular RPM
- The RPMs at the top. It goes to 12,000 RPM
- The gear indicator on the left
- The fuel gauge on the right
- The speed in the middle
- The switchable reading at the bottom, alongside the time.

Using the Select button on the left, you can toggle between the following switchable readings
- total distance
- Trip A
- Trip B
- Battery level

Press the Adjust button on the right to reset the reading for the odometer. That’s it. On the Gixxer SF 250, you cannot read love letters from your past girlfriends, emails from your angry boss, WhatsApp messages from your better half reminding you to buy vegetables, Twitter alerts, stock market updates, your heart rate or anything else.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143726-large.jpg
While starting up, it says GO

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143727-large.jpg
A clearly dirty dash that is nonetheless easy to read

In some ways, you have to admire Suzuki’s no-nonsense approach to the digital dash. They have saved money where they could. The motorcycling experience is none the worse for it. For example, all the hype around motorcycling connectivity is grossly overrated, especially in these price conscious segments.

However, Suzuki does not get a pass from me. They really missed a trick by withholding simple things like Distance to Empty, current mileage, average speed etc. This basic information would have added, what, Rs 5 to the cost of each motorcycle? Rs 10? There really was no need to cut corners here, Suzuki!

Anyways, Ive not lost any sleep over these missing features, which to be honest, most owners will expect. These are not deal breakers by any stretch of the imagination but their absence can be annoying. It is safe to say that the digital display is not a case of neighbour’s envy and owner’s pride.

Rating – 6 / 10

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:48.
neil.jericho is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Features

Today’s sub Rs 4 L motorcycles come with a plethora of features such as Bluetooth connectivity, application connectivity, turn by turn navigation, switchable ABS, TFT displays, glide through technology, power modes, traction control, adjustable suspension and what not. Suzuki’s Gixxer SF 250 gets none of them.

It only comes with Suzuki’s Easy Start System, which can seem like the most pointless motorcycling gimmick of all time. In other motorcycles, you have to pull the clutch and hold down the start button until the engine fires up. With Suzuki’s Easy Start System, you can just dab the button while pulling in the clutch. It starts up, on its own. During a test ride, you will ask yourself if you really need such a basic feature. After all, how different is it from holding down the start button for 2 to 3 seconds, on every other bike? You need to live with the motorcycle for some time, to really appreciate this technology. There is a reason why it is found on their big bikes including the GSX R1000 and the S 750.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143702-large.jpg
Notice how the Start button sticks out?

How does the Easy Start System behave in the real world? Turn the key to the ON position, pull in the clutch and while the screen is starting up, give the Start button a gentle tap. Like you are touching a sleeping baby. By the time the screen displays all the information, you are already on the move. It really does make motorcycling easy. Once you get used to it, you will wonder why every other manufacturer does not have a similar system in place.

If you and your friends are planning a bank heist, the crucial additional two seconds that it takes to your non Easy Start System equipped motorcycle to start, can be the difference between life in Monaco and life in your local jail.

Rating – 2 / 10

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:49.
neil.jericho is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Mileage

The overall mileage since day 1 stands at 36.52 kmpl. The 12 litre fuel tank gives the Gixxer SF a tank range of over 400 kms. So far, Ive tanked up the motorcycle on 9 different occasions. The lowest mileage that I got was 33.10 kmpl. On sustained high speed highway runs in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, expect to get a similar figure.

The highest mileage that I got was 38.75 kmpl. In mixed conditions (bear in mind that Kerala’s highways don’t allow you to easily cross 100 kmph) you should easily get 36 + kmpl.

Of the 5 motorcycles that I have owned so far, the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 is the most fuel efficient motorcycle, by a fair margin.

Rating – 9.5 / 10

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 00:07.
neil.jericho is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricing

As you can see, the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 does not do anything exceptionally well. It is not feature laden, either. At the same time, there is no single area where it is really lacking. What swings a rational enthusiast completely towards this motorcycle, is the immense value for money proposition offered by the Gixxer SF 250, in a market which is dominated by overpriced two wheelers.

Keeping aside the discounts, the Rs 2.35 L pricing of the faired Suzuki 250, makes the new-ish KTM RC 200 look tremendously overpriced and underprepared for a battle. For most level headed enthusiasts (???) who are stretching their budget, the 50% premium that the TVS Apache RR310 BTO commands, will make them think twice about whether those additional EMIs are worth it or not. The TVS Apache RR310 BTO is easily the better motorcycle of the two. There is no doubt about that. Is it 50% better? That is the question that only you can answer.

Heck, the Gixxer SF 250 does a fabulous job of making its young sibling, the VStrom 250, look grossly overpriced! When you consider the discounts on offer, the Gixxer SF 250 starts looking like the steal deal of the year.

Rating – 10 / 10

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:50.
neil.jericho is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Modifications

The Suzuki brochure lists the following OEM accessories
- Saddlebags (a tad narrow but good quality stuff)
- Cover Muffler Lower (engine guard?)
- DC Socket
- Seat Cover
- Tape Set Tank Pad Blue / Silver (Tank pads)
- Tape Set Knee Grip Pad (Clear tank pad to prevent knee guards from scratching the tank)
- Tape Set Protection (Clear tank pad for the side?)
- Meter visor (dark windscreen)

Suzuki's dealers have very few options off the shelf. Considering that the Gixxer and Gixxer SF 250 sell poorly, one cannot blame them. An aftermarket windscreen and saddle stays are the most common modifications for this motorcycle.

When I bought the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250, I was clear that I did not want to go down the rabbit hole of accessorizing it to the moon. Otherwise, I would have splurged on a ton of accessories and spent up the discount that Suzuki offered! So far, I have only made 3 changes to my GSX R250

- Tank pad
This is an official Suzuki accessory. Its rather thin but it does the job. The cost was a measly Rs 286. It was installed just before I took delivery of my motorcycle.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143763-large.jpg

- Aftermarket grips
Since I found the handlebars to be a touch too narrow and I use these same grips on my other motorcycles, this was a no-brainer. It was installed on day 1. Remember to cut off the excess edge of the grip on the right handlebar, so that you do not face issues with throttle stickiness. The cost was Rs 1,500. You should be able to find more affordable options.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143769-large.jpg

- Bobo mobile holder with an inbuilt fast charger
I got this off Amazon. It does its job. Here is the link to purchase it.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-p7143770-large.jpg

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:51.
neil.jericho is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Running In The GSX R250

Enjoying the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 should have been as easy as filling petrol on day 1 and ripping errr calmly riding down open roads, right? It was not as straightforward as that. I needed a few days to calibrate my riding style to the character of the motorcycle.

While everyone thinks that the Continental GT 535 is an elegant looking tortoise (some TBHPians call it a pig but that is neither here nor there…), the engine of this much reviled motorcycle offers a surprisingly high 44 NM at a low 4,000 RPM. That’s right, 44 NM of torque. This figure is almost exactly double of what the Suzuki brings to the table. I’m not taking the Street Triple 675 into consideration because it has mountains of torque everywhere in the rev range. On the Continental GT 535, I was used to doing the usual braap, shift up, braaap, shift up, braap routine. The single cylinder engine from Royal Enfield is not a high revving one, so strong torque is available on tap.

Living with the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 involved a major cultural shift. Wringing its throttle to go everywhere in a tearing hurry, is not necessarily the best approach to take with this 250cc engine. Instead, it makes sense to be a silky smooth operator. Once I got accustomed to the linear (and dare I say it, tame) power delivery of the Gixxer SF 250, I began to enjoy it a lot. Im not saying that a motorcycle with 26.5 PS and 22.2 NM is boring. Its just that the nature of this beast is very different from my other 2 motorcycles.

Once I adjusted my riding style to the strengths of the 250 cc engine and gearbox, I began to have a lot of fun with it. Thanks to the engine’s tractability, I could potter around town in gears that I could not think of employing, if I was on the other 2 motorcycles. Since it is so light and flickable, I began snaking my way through slow moving and stationary traffic, despite the wide mirrors. My other 2 motorcycles are heavier than the GSX R250 and hence, I do not often weave through traffic with them. The naked Gixxer 250 should be even more fun in our crowded city streets. Even the VStrom 250 is surprisingly nimble in the urban jungle.

I finished the 900 odd kilometers of running in, within a week. It consisted of city commuting, my 100 km test loop, some hard riding to Athirapally Falls, a Sunday morning beach ride with friends and an unplanned trip to Trivandrum.

For commuting,
- In the city, the Gixxer SF 250 and I were like best friends who were reunited after a decade. I was sliding through gaps in the traffic, that I never would have dreamt of otherwise taking. This reminded of my younger years when I enjoyed doing the same with the lightweight first gen Yamaha R15. All this is despite the w-i-d-e mirrors which felt like antlers!
- The ineffective spongy front brake was offset by the strong rear brake and engine braking.

My 100 kilometer test loop is a good mix of every riding condition, except the twisties. It highlights any weaknesses that would otherwise not be captured in a regular city test ride.
- I loved the light weight and nimbleness of the Gixxer SF 250. I’ve done the same loop countless times on my motorcycles and a few other motorcycles. On the Tiger 900s for example, I found that the weight did tire me out on these very same roads. With the 160 odd kgs of the Suzuki 250, not once did I ever feel that the ride was tiring me out. Yes, it takes a lot longer to get to where you want to go but physically and mentally, you are very unstressed.
- The vibes did make themselves felt towards the upper end of the powerband.
- The bars that indicated the fuel level, refused to go down after 100 + kilometers of riding. At first, I thought that the fuel gauge was not working! I have now adjusted my reference points for when I need to refuel. On the other 2 bikes, I usually do a tank up once I cross 200 kilometers. On this, I can technically do double of that before I have to refill!

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-1.jpg

The ride to Athirapally Falls is the proving ground for the cornering capabilities of any motorcycle. On weekends, you will find tons of motorcyclists heading there to test their skills and the abilities of their motorcycles. Due to the heavy rains, I postponed my plans to go there, early on a Saturday morning. Instead, I went in the evening.
- This was my first encounter with the rear tire that refused to lean.
- Since I was not going all out, I took it nice and easy through the twisty and winding roads. This was a pleasant change!
- Everything about the bike felt right except the spongy front brake, stubborn rear tire and hint of vibes.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-2.jpg

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-3.jpg

The Sunday morning breakfast ride with my friends, who were on their Tiger 800s, was a lot of fun. Since we were on a coastal road, the small Suzuki did not have any trouble keeping pace with the much larger Tigers.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-4.jpg
Now this is one way for a photographer to disguise the size discrepancy!

An impromptu ride to Trivandrum through the winding MC road was another intense all round test of the motorcycle. The plan was to start in the morning and ride south. I would turn around at the first sign of any rains. I did not cross 80 to 85 kmph throughout the entire ride. While I was in Trivandrum, I dropped into the friendly superbike garage, Motonerdz. I asked them to bleed the front brake. The team replaced the OEM brake fluid with KBX brake fluid (DOT 4). They also removed the organic front brake pads and scrubbed them in. With this, the brake feel improved a lot! They also cleaned and lubed the chain, tidied up the excess length of the grips, helped adjust the levers and so on. A big shout out to everyone at Motonerdz for being so accommodating, despite me dropping in at around noon.
- A few months ago, I had ridden my friends modified Interceptor 650, from Trivandrum to Cochin. That bike had 17 inch Apollo Alpha H1 tires, the master cylinder from the Duke 390, preload adjusters and an aftermarket exhaust. It was an absolute riot on the MC Road.
- Doing the same stretch on the Gixxer SF 250, made me realize that I could not carry comparable speeds, into or out of the corners. Neither could I make quick overtakes past other vehicles, without a bit of planning. However, with the improved brake feel, I was carrying higher average speeds than what I was able to manage in the morning. The 10+ hours on the motorcycle helped me dissect the strengths and weaknesses of the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-5.jpg
On the way to Trivandrum. No rains in sight.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-6.jpg
At the Motonerdz garage. No fan needed for a motorcycle that is this cool!

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-7.jpg
When you let Google Maps lead you down unknown roads

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 23:55.
Old 20th July 2022, 15:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

First Service

Other Suzuki owners were not happy with the service experience at Dealer A and Dealer B. These enthusiasts insisted that I take the motorcycle to Aluva Suzuki for all the services. I did not book an appointment beforehand. On a prior visit, the showroom folks had suggested that I reach by 09:00 AM. Since it was raining heavily, I reached around 09:10 AM. It turned out that I was the first customer to arrive for service. This was a sea change from my 7 ½ years of Royal Enfield ownership. For the Continental GT 535, even when I would reach the service centres early, there would always be a number of other owners, who had arrived even before I did. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case with Suzuki!

The service intervals are listed below

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-service-intervals.png

The first service involved
- Oil change
- Oil filter change
- No chain lube since I had got it done at Motonerdz
- No washing since the monsoon blessed roads would make the bike dirty, before I got home
- Adjust the brake and clutch levers, to get the angle just right

The motorcycle takes 1200 ml for each oil change. Suzuki uses the fully synthetic Ecstar R9000 engine oil in the 10W-40 specification.

The fully synthetic oil that is used

The dealership has a lead technician who is trained to work on the 250 cc offerings from Suzuki. There is a separate air-conditioned waiting room in the SVC, from which you can watch the work being done, or not done, on your motorcycle.

The total cost of the first service came to Rs 827, which is dirt cheap, compared to the cost of servicing my other two motorcycles! The service bill details are below.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-service-cost.png

I was out within 2 hours. Could the work have been finished in much less time? Yes, it could have. However, what was done, was done well. So, I do not have any complaints.

One concern that I have is the long term experience with service centres. Most owners crib about the problem of unavailability of spares, especially in smaller towns and cities. In this regard, Suzuki clearly lags behind its competition. How will my ownership experience pan out? That remains to be seen.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd July 2022 at 00:20.
Old 20th July 2022, 15:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Touring on the Suzuki SF 250

Now that the first service was done, I was all set to get down to properly touring on the Gixxer SF 250. I had planned to join a few Bangalore based TBHPians for a monsoon weekend ride to Chikmagalur. While they would return after the overnight stay, I planned to branch out and ride towards a couple of other popular destinations, before taking the long way home. Awful weather permitting, that is.

In the end, my shortened holiday ended up becoming Cochin – Bangalore – Chikmagalur – Mysore – Cochin. I was keen to add Ooty and / or Yercaud to the mix but the heavy rains made me reconsider these options.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-1.jpg
Overcast skies for the first part of the journey on day 1

The Cochin to Bangalore ride was a solo one. This was the first time that I was able to hold sustained high speeds on the highway. There was not much to report except for the fact that when I stopped for breaks, different people came up to me and discussed the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250. Near Thoppur, a gentleman who was riding an old Royal Enfield Taurus (that’s the only mass produced diesel motorcycle which was made in India), pulled over next to me and wanted to know about the Suzuki motorcycle. We exchanged notes on our riding experiences before saying goodbye to each other. Would you believe that he gets over 60 kmpl?

Bright blue skies after crossing Coimbatore

Later, when I stopped for a snack, another gentleman who hailed from Rajasthan, was curious to know more about my bike. He was a former mechanic and wanted to know the technical details of Suzuki’s 250 cc offering. This was not a motorcycle that he had seen before. He could not believe that a motorcycle which looked so good, only had a 250 cc engine. Could these conversations have been a coincidence? I think not. Such discussions never used to happen when I toured alone on my other motorcycles.

A sunny afternoon

Over the last 13 years, Ive ridden alone on the Cochin – Bangalore stretch on multiple occasions. Understandably, the Street Triple 675 takes the least amount of time, for me to complete the distance of 550 kms. On the Triumph, while riding through the 4 and 6 lane highways in Tamil Nadu, I am always able to comfortably hold a steady cruising speed of 120 kmph. The empty roads do allow you to ride at much higher speeds but I rarely stray from 120 kmph. The effortless mile munching ability of the middleweight motorcycle meant that I could ride for 90 minutes to 120 minutes continuously. One would think that after I reached my destination, I would feel the freshest / least tired, on the Street Triple 675. The truth is that between my R15 (first gen), Continental GT 535, Street Triple 675 and Gixxer SF 250, it was the Suzuki motorcycle that left me feeling the freshest, both mentally and physically. Let me explain.

On the Suzuki Gixxer SF250, my cruising speeds were in the 90 to 110 kmph range. My concentration levels did not need to be as elevated as what they were, when I was riding through the same roads, on the much faster Street Triple 675. In addition to this, I needed to take a break every 60 minutes because of the tiny vibrations from the single cylindered engine. The lower cruising speeds over several hours of riding, coupled with frequent breaks, meant that at the end of the day, I was fresh enough to go take a long walk after arriving in Bangalore. Who would have thunk it?

The ride from Bangalore to Chikmagalur with fellow TBHPians was a fun experience. The early morning start meant that the headlights were called into action, while I got to our meeting point at the other end of town. In a few dimly lit sections of Bangalore, I had to slow down because I could not accurately identify the neatly hidden undulations in the road. Once we were on the highway, it was smooth sailing. The assortment of motorcycles consisted of a Honda CB 500X (KarthikK), an Interceptor 650 (ebmRajesh), an Adv 250 (shakhmimran), a first gen Ninja 650 (rbp), a Meteor 350 (Sentil) and Dr Crazy Drivers former (forever?) love, the Versys 650 (high time that its new owner becomes a TBHPian!).

When will I learn to not park next to tall motorcycles?

Taking a break

The return from Chikmagalur involved only shakhmimran and me. The two of us rode together till Hassan. The others left from our homestay after they had their lunch. The solo ride from Hassan to Mysore involved some of the finest roads that I have encountered in Karnataka. Long sweeping bends, with little to no traffic, made these few hours memorable. Rain clouds kept following me all throughout but the skies really opened up after I reached Mysore.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-6.jpg
Motorcycling in the monsoon can be therapeutic

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-7.jpg
The famous Mysore Palace

The final leg of the trip from Mysore to Cochin was 50% fascinating and 50% mind numblingly boring. Google Maps led me through the Nanjangud – Chamarajanagar – Sathyamanagalam Tiger Reserve – Karumapthampatti stretch. This was the first time that I was travelling on this beautiful route. Rural Tamil Nadu has a beauty that is hard to match.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-8.jpg
Gorgeous sunflower fields in Karnataka

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-9.jpg

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-10.jpg

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-11.jpg

I had several nervous moments on the 2 lane L&T bypass section, when the strong crosswinds caught me off guard. Many of the cars were also slowing down through this largely empty stretch of highway. I was forced to substantially reduce my speeds, to get through this hazardous section. This was the first and only time, that I missed my heavier motorcycles!

This is not necessarily feedback on the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 but the Viaterra Claw that I used for my touring, always found some slack when I went over speed breakers and large undulations. At every stop, I had to take off my gloves to tighten the straps. I faced the same problem while using the Viaterra Claw on my Street Triple 675. Now, on the Chikmagalur trip, my friend on the Versys 650, had the exact same Viaterra bag and we tied down both bags at the stops, to compare how they would fare by the time we halted for our next break. During every check, we found that my bag managed to find some slack in the straps while his didnt. We were riding on the same roads with the same Viaterra Claw, while riding at the same speeds. I suspect that the raised and sloping rear seat on both the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 and the Triumph Street Triple 675, is the cause of this.

What Next?
I've got a monsoon group ride through Maharashtra, which is lined up for September. I need to work out a plan for exploring the historic parts of Tamil Nadu, that I am yet to see. And last, but not the least, my solo ride across different states...

Last edited by neil.jericho : 24th July 2022 at 00:07.
neil.jericho is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 15:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

In Summary

Over the last couple of weeks, I got to ride a friend’s KTM Adv 250 for a short duration. I was really surprised by how nice it felt on the highway. The seating position was comfortable and the large windscreen was a welcome relief from the miniscule one on my motorcycle. KTM’s 250 platform has always felt like it is their best offering for our country. At the end of the day, you cannot get around the absence of any premium-ness and the company’s pedigree when it comes to unreliability. In hindsight, if the Adv 250 was available off the shelf, would I have bought it? The simple answer is - no.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-1-large.jpg

I also got a chance to try out the Suzuki VStrom 250 with the newly available accessory of the lower seat. This simple accessory eliminated the ergonomics issues that I had with the VStrom 250. Would I have bought the VStrom 250 if Suzuki had launched the lower seat, from day 1? I just might have. It would have been really tough for me to decide between the lower seat VStrom 250 and the discounted Gixxer SF 250. In the end, I’m glad that Suzuki made the choice for me.

And that brings me to the latest addition to my garage. If this motorcycle was available in 2014, would I have bought it over the exciting Continental GT 535? Nope. Have I ever regretted my decision to buy this capable motorcycle in 2022? Not once. I knew what I wanted and the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 fits the role perfectly. It is doing its job as an effortless mile muncher, without giving me any cause to complain, on any front.

Overall, this competent quarter litre motorcycle is one of the more underrated and overlooked bikes being sold in India. It’s a no-nonsense jack of all trades. The Gixxer SF 250 is not the bike for everyone. That said, its one of the most well engineered, practical, value for money offerings in a market where this combination is a rare sight.

I hope this ownership review helps at least one forum member or reader to make an informed decision and shortlist, or maybe even strike off, the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 from his / her shopping list. Honestly, I did not expect the review to end up becoming even half as long as what it eventually turned out to be. I’ve tried to present all the relevant details in an unbiased and informative manner. My ratings are reflective of my honest feedback on each criterion. Needless to say, my views are based on the other other motorcycles that I own / have owned and motorcycles that I have ridden in the recent past. Potential buyers who are coming from a different motorcycling background, will have divergent perspectives on many aspects related to the Suzuki Gixxer SF 250. Wherever I was able to provide the neutral, 3rd party perspective of a fellow TBHPian and former CBR250 owner, I did. If I have left something out or if you have any questions on the motorcycle or ownership experience, do let me know.

I may not have frequent updates to this thread, as my usage will be touring specific and limited. I do not foresee this to be anything longer than a 12 to 18 month ownership experience. Happy riding!

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-4-large.jpg
Picture courtesy : The_Silent_Lensman

Last edited by neil.jericho : 24th July 2022 at 00:11.
neil.jericho is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 05:05   #26
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 05:59   #27
BHPian

Excellent review!, being an owner of an SF250 who's done well over 16,000 Kms, I can relate to everything you've said. Just a few points I'd like to add : I had gotten my tyres changed to Michelin Road 5 and they are really far better than the stock MRF's which come with the bike. Also, the brake fluid had been changed to DOT 5.1 from Liqui Moly and the lever feel has been better. Also, I feel Suzuki missed an opportunity by doing very little marketing when a new R15M is priced at 2l on road Hyderabad and this bike nearly costs the same!.
dheer4 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 09:50   #28
BHPian

Congrats, Neil! That’s a wonderfully exhaustive ownership review / review in general.

This bike is a rather unexpected but welcome addition in your harem, I’m sure. Got any plans of riding up to B’lore?

The bike sure is a looker. Like you said, it definitely attracts attention from the opposite sex. People have gone gaga at my 155 even when there were bigger motorcycles all around. Under 2 lakh Rupees, the faired ‘Zuki is one of the better looking ones out there!

Here’s my (slightly aesthetically modded) ‘21 Blackbird in Metallic Glass Sparkle Black -

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-f8f0c950a06b4d588579c2f350f8bfb1.jpeg

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-5fc91dcd6faf43908ca8d562c78415bf.jpeg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 13:34   #29
BHPian

Wunderbar review Neil.

As usual, it was a treat to read the whole article. Congrats on the new acquisition.

The only eyesore of the SF 250 is that exhaust. It's hideous. Those chrome tips and the way its designed, really clashes against the whole bike. Oh well, you can always swap it with an aftermarket one.

So when are you riding to Delhi on your new love?
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 15:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Amazing, smashing in-depth review again Neil! Enjoyed reading about your latest acquisition and trips you have done.

Your bike garage is more or less complete now. Triumph 675 for the thrills, Continental GT for the vibrations which keep your body loose/flexible and helps to improve on relationships with Royal Enfield mechanics (sorry, just couldn’t help that) and the Suzuki for your tours.

Wishing you a happy ownership experience to complete all your solo travel desires.

Take care and ride safe.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks