Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:18   #1
MVM
BHPian

Is a Classic Yezdi or Jawa still a viable option for daily use?

Ever since I could comprehend my surroundings I have loved cars. I am fascinated by machines in general; hence, my tastes lie in cars which rely more on mechanical aspects than electrical ones. Hence I prefer cars than use internal combustion rather than electricity. Since these are the last few decades of internal combustion I wish to enjoy them not just as an admirer but as an active participant.
I was never inclined towards bikes up until a few months back when I first noticed the bike my neighbour owned. This bike was in pristine condition but was never parked on the street. The owner rarely rode the bike except for short trips on the weekends. I had never noticed nor paid attention to this bike but one day I saw him start the bike and heard the glorious sound that followed. My father then told me that the bike was a Yezdi and that he had owned one during his college days. My fascination with the bike soon turned to obsession and I began to learn as much as I could about these bikes and the Ideal Jawa brand. Since I had to focus on my studies I decided that I would purchase a bike once my exams had ended and I had acquired my license. I used to read the articles on Team BHP regarding Yezdis and check the used bike websites for examples.
But I had to come to grips with reality. I would be purchasing a bike that was 30 years old at best. Spare parts and reliable mechanics who won't scam me would be hard to find. I tried to reason with myself and those who dissuaded me by saying things like "That bike doesn't have many parts that can go wrong" and "Oh I can buy a replacement carburetor from Pacco". After a while, I began to realize the issues that come with owning a bike like this and the idea of owning a Yezdi and riding it to college doesn't seem to be as problem-free after all. (Poor gas mileage, scarcity of spare parts, Rudimentary lighting systems, difficulty in finding unabused examples with valid registration, lack of tubeless tires, etc.)
I hence decided to ask the members of this esteemed forum for advice on whether I should pursue the idea of buying a Yezdi or getting a more modern motorcycle. If the latter is the better option please offer suggestions for a good bike with classic looks for under 1.5 lakh rupees.
Thank You very much for your time.
MVM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 12:01   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is a Classic Yezdi or Jawa still a viable option for daily use?

As someone who owns a 25-year old Jeep, I will reply with a resounding NO. Their makers designed these machines to last 10 - 12 years, not 30. The build quality even when new was pathetic (by 2022 standards), reliability even when new was patchy, spares will be hard to find, the mechanic will become your best friend and you'll be missing out on a lot of creature comforts + modern amenities.

Safety is especially important as if something breaks on a bike, your body meets the tarmac!

Keep such an old vehicle as a weekend toy, that's what my '97 Jeep is. For everything else, get a modern motorcycle.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 18:35   #3
BHPian

As an erstwhile Yezdi owner I advice you not to go for old Jawa or Yezdi if you do not know the basic stuff or cant manage the niggles yourself. Especially when you go with model having pointer ignition system, it is most certain to cause troubles, you must be lucky to find one with CDI ignition type which came in very limited models. As GTO rightly said, these machines are for the weekend. Coincidentally even my thread on two strokes was posted today. Cheers
Gypsian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 19:04   #4
BHPian

Since you're in Bangalore, the mecca of 2 strokes in the country, my answer is a resounding YES! Go ahead and fulfil your dream, parts are still available and so are mechanics. Try to find a model with a CDI if possible, and I promise you, you'll spend the best years of your life with the bike. These bikes run best when they're used daily, so your use case is perfect. Go for it while you still have the chance!
boniver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 21:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Buy a classic only if you are passionate about a classic. These are expensive hobbies insofar as:

# price to buy can vary hugely simply because its a classic machine - invariably disproportionate to its actual value.
# maintaining may frequently require money and equally importantly, time, in order to procure what is required.
# unless you are mechanically well inclined, you are at the mercy of the FNG mechanic for its upkeep unlike more modern machines which are easier to manage through authorised service networks.

Buying such a classic is out of pure passion for such a classic - its definitely not saving you any money. If you must have a classic looking machine, perhaps consider a modern day new / used Jawa or even a used Royal Enfield. Those should serve the purpose.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 12:43   #6
BHPian

I am an owner of a 32 year old bike. And honestly for bikes of these age, spares are tough. And secondly reliability will be questionable. It took me over 2 years of changing parts and sourcing them just to make the bike reliable post restoration. I was able to slowly restore my bike since I always had a reliable daily driver for whenever this bike breaks down. Owning a classic bike is tough, you should be able to take care of the bike even after the initial novelty ends, these bikes require a lot of care.

I see that you are very passionate about classics, so I would not dissuade you from buying a Jawa. But please do realize that it will be a tough journey. I'll ideally suggest you to have a modern reliable bike, and then buy a classic. I have a Platina for whenever my KB100 breaks down, the same way you could get a used commuter bike along with the Jawa.

Or if you are okay with bikes that are not an Jawa, check out an RX100 or 135. Decent spare availability, good performance and retro looks. You could get any Cast Iron Engine Enfield too, afaik such Enfield's were sold till 2008, if you just want a proper bike that is mechanical and old - school.

I would suggest you to think well, and if you think you are ready to maintain a bike that is almost 3 decades old, then surely buy one. My suggestion would be to get a well maintained Roadking, that is one bike which I absolutely love but I cannot buy as I would not be able to maintain it well due to lack of proper mechanics and spares. I don't think you will face that problem in Bangalore so you could buy one.
TorqueMonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 13:14   #7
BHPian

My 2 paise :

As a Weekend Ride : yes.
As a Daily Ride : A Big No.

Coming as this is from an owner of a '67 model Jawa. As @GTO pointed out, these bikes are designed for a different era altogether. You need to be really brave enough to take these out in peak Bangalore traffic. The gear shifts, the hardness of the clutch, the smoke are just not suitable for modern driving and I assume that you know that the Kick and gear are in the same lever. All said and done, I must admit, I do see some Brave hearts now and then who take them out on peak traffic and when they do they turn a lot of heads.

A decent Yezdi in Bangalore would be around 80-90k. Mechs and parts are difficult but manageable.

Last edited by srini1785 : 26th July 2022 at 13:23.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 19:14   #8

A 'been there, done that' scenario for me. I have a 1975 Yezdi 'B'. I have done all required work to make it mechanically perfect, including converting it to CDI. Just didn't paint it to keep the retro look.

It is an amazing bike and I enjoy it a lot. A couple of years ago, I tried to use it as primary bike for daily commute, but gave it up after a month or so. Reasons:
1. Starting troubles. This is not a rule, but generally Yezdis take some time and coaxing to start after they have been off for some time.
2. Due to old parts and non-original replacements, the reliability is low. Also, local mechanics can't work on these. So, there is a risk of getting stranded. Happened to me a couple of times, ~8-10 kms from home. I had to call the mechanic to tow the bike.
3. Smoke. These days, people are not used to vehicles, specially 2-wheelers, emitting smoke. Be ready for occasional stares/glances.
4. Fuel efficiency, lights and safety (braking etc.) are all quite poor.

Nonetheless, there are a few people from Pune Yezdi Jawa Owner's Club, who use their Yezdi/Jawa daily. But at the same time, I have seen them frequenting the mechanics for small issues.

Overall, these bike require a lot of time and patience. Once in a while, a ride with the Yezdi/Jawa club or small weekend drives is a different matter. But won't recommend it for daily use.
AmitFromPune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:46   #9
MVM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As someone who owns a 25-year old Jeep, I will reply with a resounding NO. Their makers designed these machines to last 10 - 12 years, not 30. The build quality even when new was pathetic (by 2022 standards), reliability even when new was patchy, spares will be hard to find, the mechanic will become your best friend and you'll be missing out on a lot of creature comforts + modern amenities.

Safety is especially important as if something breaks on a bike, your body meets the tarmac!

Keep such an old vehicle as a weekend toy, that's what my '97 Jeep is. For everything else, get a modern motorcycle.
Thanks for the response GTO. I understand that we must let go of some things when the times change. The right time for owning such a bike has passed. I agree with your opinion hence I will not be following the dream of buying a Yezdi because I don't think I'll have the carefree experience I wish for while owning this bike. Besides used examples are not available below 1 lakh rupees which I don't feel is financially sensible for a bike which I'll have to spend more on. The only source of spare parts are private sellers and a few shops around bangalore and the quality is questionable. And with the kind of fuel prices now a bike which give 30 kilometers at best is not a good option. Thank you for all your suggestions.
MVM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 12:47   #10
MVM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Since you're in Bangalore, the mecca of 2 strokes in the country, my answer is a resounding YES! Go ahead and fulfil your dream, parts are still available and so are mechanics. Try to find a model with a CDI if possible, and I promise you, you'll spend the best years of your life with the bike. These bikes run best when they're used daily, so your use case is perfect. Go for it while you still have the chance!
Thank you for your response Bonvier. I loved reading the stories about you and your trusted MAX 100. I feel the MAX 100/Samurai/IND SUZUKI is a better option since the bikes themselves can be bought at reasonable prices and most of the spares are easily available (apart from parts like the CDI unit as you had mentioned in your thread). As you said I'm in a better situation since I live in Bangalore but I need my bike to be more of a tool than a toy I'm afraid I will not be buying a Yezdi. I always used to think why the people buying RXs and old Enfields never considered the Yezdi. I realize now that most of the youngsters buying these bikes came along after the era of the Yezdis and hence are unaware of such bikes existing. Ideal Jawa made thousands of Yezdis and Jawas over their 35 year run but barely any are seen on the road. As GTO rightly said, these bikes weren't made to last for 30-40 years. I will mostly be buying a bike but it will have to be a more practical one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
As an erstwhile Yezdi owner I advice you not to go for old Jawa or Yezdi if you do not know the basic stuff or cant manage the niggles yourself.
Thank You for your response Gypsian. I am mechanically inclined in the sense that I like to work on cars but the only work I have done is topping off fluids, changing bulbs, replacing some interior pieces etc. Since the cars at home are both daily drivers used by my parents I'm afraid of going too far and ruining the car. I have heard from various sources about the experience of working on a Yezdi including my father, who all claim it's simple but I do not have any first-hand experience. I feel I can replace the sparkplugs and clean the carburettors but I know that I can't fix any fault with the transmission or the ignition system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Buy a classic only if you are passionate about a classic. These are expensive hobbies insofar as
Thank You for your response Axe77. I am passionate about owning a bike as such or rather I was passionate a few months ago. The mind is slowly winning over my heart and as a result that passion is fading away. And I feel I shouldn't be having expensive hobbies when I am not earning a dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
I have a Platina for whenever my KB100 breaks down, the same way you could get a used commuter bike along with the Jawa.

Or if you are okay with bikes that are not an Jawa, check out an RX100 or 135. Decent spare availability, good performance and retro looks. You could get any Cast Iron Engine Enfield too, afaik such Enfield's were sold till 2008, if you just want a proper bike that is mechanical and old - school.
Thank you for your response Torque Monster. I loved your restoration series on your KB100 and I respect the extent to which you went to in order to find spares and a whole other parts bike as well. My father after giving off the Yezdi had a KB100 RTZ up until 2004 after which he stopped riding bikes due to safety concerns, or rather was not allowed to ride by my mom and my grandma. The Enfield route is most probably the one I'll go for since the parts for the Yamahas are also becoming slightly rare now.

Thank you all for the responses on my first ever thread on Team BHP.
MVM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVM View Post
I hence decided to ask the members of this esteemed forum for advice on whether I should pursue the idea of buying a Yezdi or getting a more modern motorcycle. If the latter is the better option please offer suggestions for a good bike with classic looks for under 1.5 lakh rupees.
MVM, if you can stretch your budget by a small amount, consider buying a brand new Bullet 350. IT should cost you around Rs 1.8L.

Or else get the newest preowned BS6 / BS4 Bullet or Classic 350 that you can find. Being in Bangalore, there will be no shortage of such motorcycles in the preowned market.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:01   #12
BHPian

No modern bike can match the aura and feel of an Yezdi, well the real ones.
If you can manage to find a Roadking or a CL II (CDI) from the last batches, you are good. There's nothing pretty much to go wrong with it. If you intend to use it on a daily basis, you might want to stock up stuff like chains, brake shoes, clutch packs, spark plugs and cables. I'd say, buy a relatively modern bike for your daily use and keep the Yezdi for weekend rides.

One life. Live it.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed