Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 11:17   #1
BHPian

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R

The world of cars and the world of motorcycles somehow have a sense of disconnect from each other. Growing up, cars formed my biggest passion with motorcycles being a casual afterthought. Yet somehow, one motorcycle came into my life and changed everything so completely and so unexpectedly. It truly taught me what the phrase, "Four Wheels Move The Body, Two Wheels Move The Soul" meant. Although my love and passion for cars has still remained unwavering, a new love for motorcycling was born and haunts me to this very day.

But for some context regarding my personal history with two wheels, I learnt cycling without stabilizers at the age of 8, on a lovely little blue BSA with the constant support of my loving family. I used to go "cycling" every evening. But that was well within the safety of our home. I ventured out into the world on my own on two wheels for the first time when I got my first proper bicycle at the age of 15. A classic BSA SLR in a memorable maroon shade from the early 90s, which once belonged to my dad who used it to ride to college.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220225_161313906_hdr1.jpg

I had completely refused my parents' offer to get me a new bicycle in favour of getting dad's old cycle fixed and ready for me as it had been sitting in storage for years on end. Such was my love for all things classic and nostalgic. After all, what's better than inheriting and using something that once belonged to daddy?

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20190623_075057.jpg

That bicycle would become my partner-in-crime for the next 4 years. In the middle of those years, I had fiddled with it, taken it apart bolt by bolt and put it back together, convoyed with my friends, and enjoyed many priceless moments with it. Others also found it refreshing that here was someone cherishing something older in the sea of sleek, modernistic, carbon fibre blah blah on two wheels that start looking terrible the moment they show the slightest signs of wear and use while my cycle wore them like badges of honour and still looked the part doing so!

When it came to motorized two-wheelers, I learnt to ride on my uncle's bike. A lovely black 2014 Honda CB Shine. It was and still is a great bike. In fact, since uncle wasn't in immediate need of it as he lived away and his commute involved only a brief walking distance, I would go on to use it for the first one and a half years of college and have since, formed a lot of memories with it too.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220708_093655074_hdr1.jpg

While the CB Shine is practically everything one can technically want in a bike, it really isn't the most soulful. In fact, I really did not understand the true meaning of "soulful" until I got my Max 100. At this point, I was still primarily a car person and didn't think much of bikes. The CB Shine existed solely to satisfy my practical commuting requirements. While I used to take it out otherwise as well, there was never any real deep craving to do so. What's the danger associated with this? One ends up feeling bikes, in general, are like this and ends up missing out on a lot.

Enter the desire for something else. I've always found two strokes quite fascinating for a long while, yet had never ridden one. There was also the fact that my dad once used to be the proud owner of a beautiful Maroon/Wine Red Yamaha RX 100 that he purchased brand new in the 90s and sold later on due to the possibilities that existed in those times of two strokes getting completely banned.

As a result, I felt I had missed out on experiencing the two-stroke magic, that I hear about and read about all the time, solidifying my desire to own one. But here I was, a 19 year old college student with a bare-bones budget which only made the RX 100 with its current prices look like a fairly distant dream. No worries, I thought to myself. I just want a two-stroke. I'll look at my other options then. The only criteria was that I wanted an actual motorcycle, ruling out scooters and mopeds, though I still have a soft spot for vintage Vespas, Lambrettas, and their derivatives. In fact, that is an understatement. I love them. But for the time being, I wanted a motorcycle that I could truly call my own and ride daily, as well as do trips on.

With Yamaha ruled out completely, I automatically turned my attention to Suzukis. More precisely, the AX 100, the Max 100, and the Samurai. The others such as the Supra, Shogun and Shaolin would automatically go outside my budget and thus, get ruled out. Just for the time being

The Max 100 was one I particularly favored for I had some memories associated with one owned by my math tuition teacher's husband, back during my school days. He would fire it up when he would go out and the sound would resonate within the walls of the home. Funnily enough, my bike turned out to be the exact same spec and colour as his, with the differences only being the modifications I have done, that I'll get to, later.

Not only that, but I had always looked at the Max 100 as an untapped treasure. One seemingly used by middle-aged family men throughout the country as it is quite economical (From personal experience) and cheap to run. Not only that, but the legendary durability (Also something we'll discuss). Plus, the retro looks and charms are too much to resist at the prices they usually go for.

I didn't completely rule out the possibilities of getting a four-stroke though. Bikes like the Hero Honda CD 100 SS and the Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion did catch my attention thanks to their retro design and famously efficient engines. But the heart truly did long for the two-stroke beat, of course.

A great source of inspiration and a valuable resource would come in the form of my friend and classmate back at school, Bala, who had gotten himself right after graduating, a beautiful green Samurai that he currently uses as a blank canvas to do a number of crazy mods on. When I told him about my intentions of getting a new bike, that too, preferably a two-stroke, he was more than happy to chime in and help.

When my search started, these were the bikes I specifically zeroed upon and contacted their respective owners :

1) A 2000 TVS Max 100 R in Black.
2) A 1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 in Maroon.
3) A 1987 Ind-Suzuki AX 100 in Red.
4) A 2002 TVS Max 100 R in Forest Green.
5) A 2001 Suzuki Max 100 in Red.
6) A 1993 Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion in Maroon.

Only the 4S had its documents all in current while the rest required updating. However, I kept the 4S as the last option as I mainly wanted a two-stroke.

The KB 100; Now that was something I really would have liked to have. But the seller ended up replying to me, the exact day after I had bought my bike. Maybe it was meant to be that way. I had no regrets though. I was already in love with my bike. More on that later!

The first bike I would go on to see would be the black Max 100 R. It was a single owner from new bike and looked wonderful in the pics. So Bala and I hopped onto his Bajaj Chetak and went to see it. We were, however, terribly disappointed that it wasn't as advertised. It was a non-runner with locked-up brakes and when he tried the kick, the compression wasn't anything signifying an engine that still worked. So we left it as it is.

The second bike I would go on to see would be the one. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. The morning of Saturday, the 19th of Feb, 2022. This was the Forest Green Max 100 R. What's more, this bike is a 2002 model year. The same year of my birth. Happy times!

I still remember waiting for the owner to turn up and then, hearing her for the first time as they came into view. I already knew she wasn't in great shape, but was still, a runner with clean documents. The test ride I took after a brief chat with the owner and inspecting her, changed everything for me.
Coincidentally, that was also the first time I ever rode a two-stroke ever. I initially marveled at how light and compact it felt. Then she fired up with a roar. But I stalled her a few times. After riding the CB Shine for so long, I was unaware that she required some application of throttle to move from a standstill.

But when we finally got moving, nothing would prepare me for what happened next. Her throttle was so messed up that for most of the rotation of the grip, nothing would happen, and then at the end, everything would happen! When "everything" happened, that moment was truly special. Her roar turned into a symphonic wail. One which I still adore listening to this very day. But it's the first time that is always the special one.

I pull the clutch in and shift to second. She responds so brilliantly that it felt like we were truly connected, Then, I try to shift to third, but accidentally hit the rear of the shifter (As that's how I was used to upshifting on the CB Shine). She screamed loudly and jerked me forwards, yet still forgave me and didn't throw me over. I corrected it quickly and shifted to third. Then immediately to fourth, where I experienced a different side of her. A calm, composed, yet still wonderfully musical side.

But I was running out of runway and had to brake. I slam the right pedal (Again, like I used to, on the CB Shine). The rear wheel locks up and skids with a loud screech. But I immediately let go of the pedal and twitch it and regain control. Then pressed the pedal softly and pulled in the clutch while downshifting as I came to a halt. I turn back slowly and stall her twice again. Then I finally reach the owner again.

I guess at this point, it's blatantly obvious that it was too late. I had already fallen for her (Not literally ). I told the owner I loved her and really wanted her. He was an extremely friendly guy, just recently turned a father, who wanted to sell his bike as he wasn't using it much at all and could do with some extra money for the household.

After discussing the flaws (Yes, I still did let my mind work. A bit ), he agreed to reduce the price a bit for me. I told him I'll ring him up that night and tell him of my final decision.

That evening, I went to see another bike. This was the red 2001 Suzuki Max 100. The evening was lovely, the neighbourhood very homely. The bike was mechanically in better shape than the green one. P.S, I locked the rear brake yet again during the test ride and skid it, but again, controlled it to the shocked gasp of the owner. This bike ran better, and had a light and properly functioning throttle, but was a bit of a downer in terms of cosmetic appearance. Also, a light issue with the documents was there, leading me to eventually rule it out.

That evening, I made up my mind. The bike I saw in the morning would be mine. I rang up the owner at 8 P.M that night, just as I had said, and informed him I was coming to collect it tomorrow. He was extremely happy that the deal was coming through, while also a bit sad at the same time that he would have to say goodbye to his pride and joy. Both of which were quite obviously noticeable in him when I met him the next day.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220220_105316293_hdr1.jpg

So on Sunday morning, the 20th of Feb, 2022, I made her mine. I met up with the owner, he took me for a cup of tea at a nearby place on the bike; The return journey was the last time he would ride his bike before handing her over to me. We came back, and have a nice long chat, after which, I pay him the amount fully in cash, he hands me the keys and we shake hands. He stood and watched while I rode her up to the highway, after which, I took a right turn into the OMR Highway and disappeared with the beautiful exhaust note getting fainter and fainter.

But it wasn't the classic tale of me riding off into the sunset in pure bliss. One thing I immediately noticed is that she was screaming in top gear, but was nowhere near her top speed. No worries, I thought. She had been sitting idle for quite a long time and requires work on the engine anyways. Then when I pulled the throttle open fully, she cut out and I slowly pulled over to the side. I thought I had overstressed an engine already in bad shape. She fired right back up on the second kick, so I decided to take it easy on the throttle from then on.

The previous owner had told me to stop and refuel as she was practically running on fumes at that point. He had even told me the exact location of the pump on the highway, but in my sheer excitement, I passed by the fuel station. Only God knows what I was thinking at that time.

The result? Me dragging my new bike with an empty tank about 800 metres back to that same station. I put in enough fuel to make it back home. I didn't pre-mix oil as the oil tank was full and the previous owner told me he only uses the pump.

Then, she fired up immediately and I happily embarked upon the 15-kilometre journey to meet Bala whom I had also called, and surprised with the good news that I'd gone ahead and bought it simply because I fell for it. But that's when love would get tested and all the happiness came down crashing to pieces. She would go fine for maybe a kilometre or two, after which the engine would cut out, forcing me to pull over to the side and keep kicking to start her back up. I think this happened a grand total of more than eight times throughout the perilous journey. Moreover, she wouldn't idle in traffic and keep cutting out, making me have to constantly keep playing with the already messed up and unbearably tight throttle.

Finally, I made it to the front of the Accord Metropolitan where Bala would soon arrive at to meet me, on his Chetak, only to find me thoroughly exhausted, sitting on my bike on the main stand. After hearing what had happened, he immediately gets to work and removes the spark plug only to show me what can only be described as one caked with black soot which he then cleaned off. He told me it's a very old make and considering its condition, it was a miracle I even made it this far on it.

Oh, but that wouldn't be the last miracle. He then asks me how much oil is there pre-mixed in the tank. I reply that there is none, as it's using the oil pump. He then points out to my inexperienced (Read "Nonexperienced") eyes that the pump was not even connected!

So that everyone, is the story of me riding my new bike for 15 kilometres without oil and God knows how much the previous owner had done so, although he did tell me that he very rarely uses the bike with it sitting in storage for months on end. And even when he does use it, it's mostly for short rides around the neighbourhood. I completely believe him as that's the only way the engine could have possibly survived this long.

That was my first and last straw with the oil pump. To this day, my bike runs on pre-mix. It's just way better at least for the peace of mind. The pump and the tank are still there on the bike, but I'll be removing both after a future overhaul of the engine. There's no substitute for simplicity.

After checking the papers, Bala parks his Chetak nearby and we get on my bike with him riding it to test it and me as a pillion and we go to the nearest fuel station. There, he pre-mixes the right amount of oil in the tank and we get going again, this time, to an auto parts shop where we get a new spark plug. He shows me how to adjust and swap it over. The bike then fires with a single kick and we look at each other with a smile on our faces. We go to a nearby isolated road where we pulled over and Bala quickly tunes the carburettor. There was now, a massive change in the way the bike felt. We had a lot of fun on that road, pulling the throttle wide open and listening to the wail.

After thanking him for his timely rescue and promising to meet, later on, we bid our goodbyes and I started the brief ride back home. She still couldn't go all too fast, would cut out under sudden throttle application, and felt insecure in traffic, but was still, miles better than how she was before. Now that she actually had oil in the system, she felt way smoother and refined. Bala told me to ride it as it is till I get used to it, but I didn't feel secure with it. So since it was a Sunday that day, I decided to get it to the mechanic immediately on Monday.

After reaching home, the first thing I did was to get rid of the utterly horrible and worn out Passion Pro tank cover and give the bike a good dusting and wipe. She looked so much better now, but there were a lot of things to be done.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220220_142226207_hdr1.jpg

Here is the list of things the bike required working on:

1) She had no mirrors.
2) No battery.
3) No indicators.
4) Completely shot handlebar switchgear.
5) The headlight was wired to be on all the time, right on the coil.
6) The speedo and odo on the left side of the instrument cluster worked, but the right side was completely inactive (My bike has the twin circular TVS gauges and not the rectangular Suzuki one). The right side houses the indicator, low oil, neutral and high beam lights. The previous owner told me that they all actually do work, but they're just disconnected due to some wiring issue (Which I would go on to find out was true).
7) Also the instrument cluster casing was partially broken on the bottom right side.
8) The seat covers were old and ripped.
9) The engine & drivetrain with lacklustre performance.
10) Broken side panels that are still somehow, staying put.
11) The wheels, the visible mechanical components, the chain guard, the saree guard all looked tired and required refurbishing.
12) The tank was very clean within, but the side stickers are not in good condition and there are a few not-so-deep scratches.

All in all, it was an untidy mess. But she went and stopped in a perfectly straight line. The core of everything, being the basic foundation is important after all. The tyres were also in good condition although the rear was a Michelin Sirac while the front was a Ceat Secura . I guess that'll also have to be rectified.

But even with all these flaws, it was no big matter. She could still be ridden. So after having my lunch and getting some rest after that entire ordeal, I get back to her in the evening and take her out for a ride around the neighbourhood and also a little further around the city. That was when I discovered the joys of what I call, soulful motoring. She couldn't be driven too fast, but she was still going and genuinely seemed to be immortal. She's a real survivor. And she never missed a beat while doing so, pun totally intended. She sang wonderfully as I saw the same familiar sights of the great old city, but now, in a new light and with a very different, yet fitting background music.

The next day, I visited my agent at his driving school and auto consultancy office to get the documents in order. He was my former driving instructor too (Although daddy will always be the one who taught me the most). We had a lovely chat and after submitting the papers and other necessities, I took my bike to the mechanic in the evening. They were very professional and created a list of all the things that required doing on my bike and sent me the invoice. I told them to cut back on some specific non-essentials as I was on a very tight budget and just wanted my bike running and able to pass its upcoming Fitness Test.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220315_054945526_ll1.jpg

I received my bike about a week later. I was unbelievably excited that day after all the waiting. I picked her up at about 7:45 P.M after a very busy day at college. I was delighted at the work they had done. New mirrors, indicators, a thorough water wash, the instrument cluster fully worked (Including the neutral light), she got a new battery, rectified wiring, new handlebar switchgear, and most importantly, a serviced engine with a cleaned carburetor and silencer. She fired right up, as if happy to see me again. I had to run some errands that night immediately. She gladly accompanied me and on that beautiful night, I finally felt the intense satisfaction within that I had done the right thing getting her. Everything was finally falling into place.

The Fitness Test came a week or so after I got her fully readied up. I went to the RTO right after college after getting the Pollution Under Control Certificate from a nearby fuel station to meet up with my agent who immediately pointed out that the rusty number plates wouldn't allow the bike to pass. So we took her to a person nearby working on the roadside who hand paints and refurbishes number plates. After getting the plates refurbished, I join the line of folks waiting for their inspection. Right in front of me was a gentleman with an old Bullet 350 in black. There was also a fully restored CD 100 SS with a very unique paint scheme that reminded me of my earlier considerations of getting one. There were also a number of new vehicles in line including a brand new Honda CB350 RS with no number plates.

After the inspection, I left for home in complete satisfaction now that the important job was over. I would receive my Smart Card another week later through my agent. I was beyond elated as now, I could finally ride my bike legally on the roads of Chennai and potentially and most definitely, beyond!

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220402_081555258_hdr1.jpg

She did attract quite a bit of attention when I took her to college of course. The wonderful thing about the Max 100 is that it completely lacks the snob factor associated with the RXs and mostly attracts positive, curious attention. This is all the while looking and sounding in its own unique way that's in no way shape or form, inferior. What it lacks in performance as compared to the RX, it more than makes up for in economy, affordability and the truly special wail! The TVS badging only makes it more of a curiosity as most people are more familiar with the fact that its a Suzuki at heart. I have other patriotic reasons to prefer the TVS branded ones as well.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220402_081159866_hdr1.jpg

We had a great time, fooling around, giving my friends rides, and in general, having a good time. To this day, I've been riding her daily to college as well as for shorter trips and longer highway blasts. There are other things I've done to my bike and will do to my bike that I'll document in this thread.

For now, I hope you enjoyed reading my very first, albeit long post on Team-BHP. Having been a reader for a long time since I was a child, crazed about automobiles, I am honoured to finally become a member and make my very first post - That too, of my beloved Suzanna. Yes, that's her name. It's derived from the first three letters of "Suzuki", and since she's a TVS with the only Suzuki badging on her being a "Suzuki Max 100" etched on the rear mudguard, I thought the name suits her well.

And on a final note, this is what she looks like currently. I'll detail the mods I have done and will do, soon. Cheers and happy riding!

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220616_073147587_hdr1.jpg
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:07   #2
BHPian

Re: The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R

A story so relatable, that a BHPian actually sent me this link and asked me if I've made a second account to post from!

I too had a '15 Honda Shine in the exact same colour and my '01 Max100 too is in the same colour as yours. This is one bike that can go on and on and will never give up on you as long as you take care of it. It was lovely reading this on a Monday morning, and do get in touch with me if there's any help you need for your bike!

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img20201118133930horz.jpg

Last edited by boniver : 8th August 2022 at 09:32.
boniver is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
A story so relatable, that a BHPian actually sent me this link and asked me if I've made a second account to post from!

I too had a '15 Honda Shine in the exact same colour and my '01 Max100 too is in the same colour as yours. This is one bike that can go on and on and will never give up on you as long as you take care of it. It was lovely reading this on a Monday morning, and do get in touch with me if there's any help you need for your bike!

Attachment 2343131
It's truly amazing that you were the first person to reply to my thread. In case it already hasn't become obvious, your bike and the amazing thread you had made on it was the actual inspiration for me to get mine. Back when I was researching my options, the thread and the story behind your Max 100 was the most compelling & complete one I had ever found on the internet when it came specifically to Max 100s. That, combined with the fact that you also had a CB Shine somehow, gave me the positive, "This is the right one" sort of vibe that pulled me towards the Max 100, and now, Suzanna

In fact, all the smiles per gallon I'd enjoyed on my bike were a direct result of your efforts in compiling together that wonderful thread. That was also the same reason I wrote mine. To spread the happiness and positivity that will eventually bring all of us enthusiasts together, as well as encourage the next bright-eyed, new to this world fellow such as I myself was, and still am, to go forth, take the plunge and chase after their dreams, for at the end of the day, that's what makes life worth living.

Thank you for everything

A.
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 20:48   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on your new Max 100 Abhyjith. I hope you have a lot of fun on this bike. Like you said, the Max 100 is one bike that is not as flashy as an RX, yet is an excellent 2 - Stroke bike, its really fun to ride. Good luck, and I wish you have lots of happy miles on this bike.
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 08:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
Congratulations on your new Max 100 Abhyjith. I hope you have a lot of fun on this bike. Like you said, the Max 100 is one bike that is not as flashy as an RX, yet is an excellent 2 - Stroke bike, its really fun to ride. Good luck, and I wish you have lots of happy miles on this bike.
Thank you so much! She really is a gem
Old 31st August 2022, 15:54   #6
BHPian

While the bike has been extremely reliable for the 3000 and odd kilometres I have enjoyed to this day, the one issue that did pop up almost immediately was jerky fuelling. On an early morning sprint, maybe a week or so after originally picking her up from the mechanics, the issue started. The engine wouldn't cut out or anything, but just jerk so badly that it was hilarious to experience .

I first tried to fix this issue by tuning the carburettor. As I had little to no experience, I just learnt how to do so by watching a YouTube video on the same (God bless the internet ). After taking her out for a brief, fairly uncomfortable ride to warm her up, I pulled over and worked on the idle and air screw. Soon, she was purring like a kitten and the jerkiness was nowhere to be felt. To tell I was extremely pleased with myself would have been an understatement .

Oh, that was until a few kilometres later when the jerking started all over again. Well, that was quite a disappointment, I must say. Anyways, I took her back to the mechanic that evening. They removed the carbie, opened it, and worked on it, advising me to replace it outright if the issue persisted. And as you can probably tell, that's exactly what ended up happening. The jerking would return again.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220831_1425092911.jpg The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220831_142520056_ll1.jpg
The original box the new carburettor came in. I love preserving such little things

So under the recommendation of a store from Bala, I went and purchased a brand new UCAL VM18. On the journey back home that lovely evening, I stopped by this Antiques store as I had been wanting to go there for a while. It was a family business operating in Chennai; back then, the good old Madras, since the 1950s. The proprietor, a very friendly gentleman reminisced and told me stories of his days of racing and rallying Jawas. That's the magic of two strokes. They leave behind such an indelible impact in our hearts.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220831_142615292_ll1.jpg
The old troublemaker. But I still decided to preserve it. Will come in handy for some future projects.

Later on, I visited the mechanic to get the carb swapped. What's hilarious is that I rode with the choke fully actuated as that's the only way the bike was rideable without jerking and potentially catapulting me off of it . It didn't quite help that it's a spring-actuated choke that required me to keep it pushed by using my left thumb. Quite inconvenient.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220831_145902928_ll1.jpg
The new carburettor installed in its new home! Has been serving my bike tirelessly since. Yes, It's all dirty as I had quite a bit of fun in the rain and dirt today on some country roads (If those can even be called roads, that is )

But nevertheless, now wasn't that a good decision? The new carbie completely solved the jerkiness. And what's more? The top speed increased (It's still lacklustre and requires working on), I can now pull the throttle all the way at one shot and she scampers forwards with full josh as compared to before when the engine would actually bog down when doing the same and letting go of the throttle and pulling it in a more gradual way was the way to ride it. Like feeding a spoilt brat . But she's no brat really. She's too sweet. Now wasn't that a good investment?
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 11:59   #7
BHPian

The Simplest, Yet Most Striking Styling Mod.

Once the bike was running well, it was time to focus on looks. The Max 100 is a good looking bike, albeit a bit lackluster when it's completely stock & in factory spec. It's one of the edges the RX has over the Max. But I saw it as an advantage. I felt this made it an excellent blank canvas to exercise my creativity and make something truly special & unique to me.

So let's start with the first mod. And it cost barely ₹10. All it takes is a roll of electric tape. I used the classic black, but you can be creative here as well with the colours. Just measure the diameter of the headlamp, cut two pieces of tape of that length, and stick them in a cross. And the best part, you don't even have to do a cross. You can do any pattern you like as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual illumination. The sky's the limit.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220414_072430257_hdr.jpg

And that's the end result. To this day, my bike still has the striking café racer cross on the headlamp. This idea came from the time when I was actually thinking of converting my bike to a café racer. I have since, dropped the plan, but the cross has remained. It's a sporty & unique addition that adds so much character & substance to the otherwise discreet design.

As for the history behind the iconic cross, it originally seemed to serve a functional purpose, which was to prevent broken shards of glass from scattering all over a racetrack in case the headlamp glass shatters. Whatever the history is, we can all agree is it just looks amazing and is a fantastic way to upgrade the style of your motorcycle for such a small cost. A real win-win!
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 14:51   #8
BHPian

The Functional, Yet Aesthetically Fitting Accessory | The Side Box

A side box is one of the most important accessories for a daily use motorcycle for me. And since Suzanna is my daily driver, I wasted no time in getting her a good side box.

My time with the CB Shine made me used to having a side box and the OE side box it came with, served me excellently and had been of great help overall.

The only thing with side boxes is that it's always a hit or miss in terms of aesthetics. While the CB Shine had a perfect side box in terms of design, the last thing I wanted to do with my new bike is to ruin the aesthetics by getting the wrong box. So I researched my options.

The brand that stood out the most happened to be Studds. After all, even my helmet is from the same make. So when I looked at the options for side boxes, the Safari Box caught my eye. In terms of dimensions, it was perfect and it looked so good. Different, but so good. The Cruiser Box was also considered, but it's bulky dimensions & penchant for sticking out too much made me go for the Safari Box itself.

Next decision was the colour. All the Safari boxes come in black with the lid being of various colour choices. I initially thought of going for a white one. Something different & striking. I thought of doing a complimentary paintjob or stickering to make it work. But unfortunately (or fortunately), that colour was not in stock anywhere I asked. So that delayed the purchase for quite a while. Finally I reconsidered and ended up getting the gloss black one (At the recommendation from the proprietor of the store I got it from).

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220911_091656698_hdr.jpg

Now wasn't that was a good recommendation & decision? The black on the lid looks so good and has a flaky effect that just works so well, combined with the red triple reflectors towards the back of the box (Which also doubles as a great safety tool, particularly on unlit highways at night). The reflectors are framed in a metallic shade which gives it a retro vibe.

The box has a spring actuated hinge mechanism that holds the lid up when the box is unlocked, which is highly convenient. Also the box opens from the side, which makes the lid stop a bit short of how wide it can open as it can touch the seat. But the opening is still wide enough for loading and it has a capacity of about 8-10 litres (The website conflictingly says both).

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220828_072453842_hdr.jpg

The shape does not compromise the storage ability of the box in any way and works really well along the classic lines of the motorcycle. The only gripe I really had with it is that the plasticky nature of it doesn't always make it feel like a top class quality product.

The box came with 2 fairly well made keys for the lock, as well as an oval rubber keychain holding the Studds logo. It also comes with the metallic brackets & bolts that are required to mount the box on the bike. Its a universal system that works on almost any bike.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220628_065602839.jpg The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220628_065612680.jpg

The box is mounted with the brackets holding it on the rear sub-frame, the rear suspension mount, and the rear grab rail.

You can also notice the orange Bajaj shocks, the previous owner had installed himself. It's an upgrade from the stock Gabriel units and works a treat, although the stock setup with its chrome colour suits the bike much better in terms of aesthetics.

Overall, I'd say its worth the price. Has been a reliable, yet great looking and suiting storage system that's highly convenient and can work easily on many bikes.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220904_103429289_hdr.jpg
Old 15th September 2022, 11:21   #9
BHPian

The next upgrade I made was a cosmetic one, but one that made such a huge difference in the lines of the bike that it made the originally subtle design of the Max 100 pop out like a flower in full bloom at springtime. You would have seen it already in the previous posts.

It was the seat & the accompanying tank cover. The seat was the original seat which was completely refurbished and made to look brand spanking new and the tank cover was custom tailored with the same material and colour as the seat. Got it done at the same store where I bought the side box from.

The old and tatty seat cover was ripped off and the old foam was replaced with new foam. Then, a new seat cover was custom tailored and stitched for it.

I wanted something different and unique, so I chose a chocolate brown shade for the new seat cover. I felt that brown complements the dark forest green shade of the bike excellently and gives it a vintage vibe. Think pre-war Bentley vibes. What's more, I also got a diamond-quilt pattern on the seat with yet more foam for that, which further improved the softness and comfort of the already cushy seat. The pattern was stitched with golden thread that complements both the brown and green wonderfully.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220701_071512926_hdr.jpg

The seat to this day, remains the most complimented part of my bike, not just for the looks, but also for the exceptional level of comfort, particularly for the pillion. And the now slightly raised structure of the seat with the extra foam makes the bike look even more beautiful, especially from the rear angles.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220720_172349495_hdr.jpg

Once I got the seat done, I was sold immediately on getting the tank cover made in the same material and colour as the seat. It's a very useful addition for quick use storage and goes along with the newly done seat wonderfully. It also covers up the imperfections evident in the old tank (Although the tank still has the original fill petrol only sticker on it and is shockingly spotless inside).

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220523_163101074_hdr.jpg
The view from the window of the shop where I got the accessories from. She's waiting to get her new toys!

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220523_162401429_hdr.jpg
The old seat removed, showcasing the dusty underbones.

Overall, both the seat & the tank cover cost a bomb together, but the quality is so amazing that they both form a fantastic investment. And it brings me tremendous satisfaction that they're both handmade (Right in front of me, in fact). After all, I'm a firm believer in preserving the art of manual efforts such as these.

Art is art because it's made manually by a person and not completely a robotic machine. And we as a collective must do all that we can to preserve & carry forth the arts well into the future.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220820_093352677_hdr.jpg
Old 18th September 2022, 17:30   #10
BHPian

One fine Sunday morning, I had gone for a ride at the beach. The Sun had just risen, promising a memorable sight of the Bay of Bengal.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220528_085316950_hdr.jpg
Pic taken literally seconds before disaster

While parking my bike, I failed to extend the side stand fully, and after I had climbed out, my bike came down crashing on the left side. The left mirror got completely shattered. Thankfully, there was no other damage whatsoever.

She didn't have mirrors when I initially got her. So I got the original Max 100 mirrors installed when she was undergoing the initial service.

They're a fine set, with an almost rectangular shape. The mirror's back is black plastic and the rod that holds it on the handlebar is metallic. A fine contrast. You would have seen them in the previous posts.

But I wanted something even more retro. At the parts store, the attendant suggested Royal Enfield Bullet mirrors. They are a set of fully chrome round mirrors that give the perfect retro vibe to the motorcycle. Exactly what I had initially visioned for my bike!

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20220911_091750912_hdr.jpg
Brand new Fiem mirrors for Royal Enfield. The part number is engraved on the mirror itself.

As you can see, it has developed a few marks already. But it has been a long time since I got them installed, so that's the normal process of wear & tear. I love the way they add to the looks of the bike.

Now technically they are a direct fit on the original Max 100 yoke. The left mirror screwed right in and held itself tightly. But I had trouble installing the right mirror. The mechanic nearby did the job by rotating it counter-clockwise into the yoke.

I don't know if it's the yoke on my bike, but since I couldn't install these mirrors with zero hassles, I wouldn't completely claim they are a direct fit. It pays to find out the exact specs of the yoke and the mirror if you're planning to install these on your bike, or just do some good old fashioned wrestling it in.

Anyways, those mirrors are there on my bike to this day. Compared to the stock Max 100 mirrors, I'd say the visual representation of whatever's behind you is hilariously inferior. But the visual representation it gives of the bike as a whole is tremendously superior. Somehow, the lines of the bike work tremendously well with those shiny chrome mirrors. A truly wonderful addition.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-logopit_1663501899800.jpg
With my friend's Classic 350 having the same mirrors. What a lovely pair!
Old 19th November 2022, 14:41   #11
BHPian

Time to update the thread as it's been a while!

One of the reasons I got the matching tank cover made along with the seat was that I felt something was "missing" in terms of aesthetics. Well, it was those stickers on the tank & side panels which are a bit of a styling disaster coupled with the coffee brown seats. I knew it all along, but kept them anyways. That is, until now.

So I got to work at once. I sat down one evening with my blowdryer in hand and removed the stickers slowly. It's a straightforward job, but can take time if your stickers are particularly old and chip off. Just put the dryer on high heat, aim it at a corner, hold, then slowly peel away the stickee, heating the sticker whenever it starts becoming aggressive. And this was the result.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20221022_104403967_hdr.jpg

The plain tank vibes much better with the overall classic look I was aiming for. Had kept the side panels removed for a while as the seat's bushings had vanished into thin air and the seat caused some damage to the panels.

This is how I rode my bike for a while since. Including during my trip to Pondicherry with my friend. (Had already opened a thread for it, but will update some more details regarding that here soon. Let's now just focus on the things I have done with the aesthetics since.)

Then, I thought it was time for a change. So I went and got myself a seat rubber kit that comes in a neat little packet and worked on it. Bratty Biker's YouTube video on the same was extremely helpful, so I thought it deserved a mention!

But I thought, why not go all the way and do a little stripdown cleanup? So that's what I did. Removed the seat (A very simple system. Two bolts at the back and it slides out easily after releasing it from the slot in the chassis at the front near the tank).

Then, I removed the tank too. Again, very simple. First disconnect it by removing the fuel pipe that connects the fuel petcock on the tank to the fuel filter, then undo two bolts again at the back of the tank towards the seat, and it lifts right off. It's held in place and cushioned on two rubber clad wheels at the sides of the chassis. The same wheels are to be used to hold the wiring as well.

After the removal of the seat and the tank, this is what we were left with :

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20221115_120932887_hdr.jpg

I gave what was in essence, the "rolling chassis with the engine and accessories" a good wipe down with a cloth. Did the same for the tank as well. Decided to remove the tank cover, just to satisfy my desire for an aesthetic change. Kept it stored safely for future use (Especially when touring).

You may also notice in the pic that the side box is missing the beautiful rear reflector. Unfortunately it seems to have come off without me noticing during a ride. That's a negative point for the quality of the box admittedly. And I don't think it's possible to get a reflector alone. So I'll be using some creativity here and will make an update on that later.

Then I got back to the seat. Replaced all the rubber components with the new ones. Also the front part that holds the slot tab and the back part that holds the bracket used to bolt the seat on has rubber beneath and require two bolts to be undone each before the rubber can be replaced.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20221115_124249522.jpg

The seat before replacing the rubber. Notice the front two bushes are entirely missing. This is what causes the seat to lower and move about, cracking the ABS plastic side panels in the process. This is a common problem and can be rectified by gluing down the rubber bushings with feviquik, so they don't fall off and disappear.

The older AX 100 was lesser affected by this issue because it had metal side panels. I guess that's the "price" for cost cutting in the case of the Max 100. On the other Suzukis like the Samurai, Shogun, and Shaolin, the issue is compounded because tail panels now come into the picture. That's the reason why we find many of the still surviving examples of these bikes with broken and misaligned tail panels. It's a sad sight, as I personally feel the design is so retro 90s and looks fantastic when they're in good shape. It also applies to the Supra, with it being more of an issue because the beautiful single piece tail panel is difficult to come by and most of the time, require fabrication for replacements.

Then, comes the wiring. Remember I said the two rubber wheels that hold the tank in place also is supposed to neatly hold and arrange the wiring? Seemingly not so in the case of my bike. The wiring is an utter mess as you can probably see in the picture and it wasn't feasible for me to move them about, risking causing any issues with it, so I decided to leave it as it is for now, and deal with it when I eventually get around to do a full restoration.

So I fitted the tank back without the tank cover, connected the fuel lines, then fitted the seat back as well. It was coming to shape very well indeed.

The next step was the side panels. I had stored them away for a while, so I took them back, and did some jugaad work with making them fit back. When the side panels are in perfect shape, they simply fit on the side with just one bolt each. The same applies for the AX 100 and the Supra. The Samurai, Shogun, and the Shaolin had a different style of side panel and they used a more convenient key lock system for the panels.

On my side panels, they were cracked on multiple portions, so I sealed the cracks with glue, made a hole on the inner folding, and used a wire to basically tightly hold them in place, in addition to the bolts. To many, all this will seem unnecessary, but there's a reason for it.

I know they're cheap and easy to get new, but the old ones could still be used till I go for the full restoration as I mentioned. I plan on doing some interesting stuff with side panels in the future. They are holding on very well indeed for now and will be used till then.

Finally, I removed the café racer cross on the headlight. Got bored of it and decided now that the bike is looking more and more classic, let's enhance the theme and make it more simplistic to look at. And this was the end result of all of this :

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-img_20221115_165606739_hdr.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out so far. But my interest in making more changes still exists and there will be a radical transformation sooner or later, so stay tuned!
Old 24th November 2022, 19:21   #12
BHPian

Had recently completed a trip to Pondicherry with my friend. Was a fantastic experience. Made an entire thread on it. Do give it a read if you haven't!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...max-100-a.html (A fun 2-Stroke road-trip with a friend | Chennai to Pondicherry on my Max 100)

While returning, the bike had just ticked over 40k kilometres and was due for a service. The last service was at 35k when I bought her. So that was 5000 kilometres of ownership so far. And boy, were those such joyful times!

So I rode over to my mechanic to get her serviced. Also asked him to check the electricals as that was what failed during the trip. He completed the job over the weekend (Basic service includes a water wash, transmission oil change, carb clean, air filter clean or replacement, spark plug clean or replacement, silencer clean, chain lubrication and tightening, plus some work on the brakes).

The rear brake pedal had become soggy and sticky, requiring me to use my heel to lift it back up after every braking episode. Noticeable frustrating. Mechanic sorted that out during the service and did a fantastic job, creating a new spring system that he assured would last for a long long time. So far, that has been true. Will write about that in detail later. May be useful to some of you.

As for the electricals, he told me it was a faulty RR Unit (The Regulator Rectifier). He had already charged the battery for me and told me to replace the RR Unit as fast as possible. I thought I'll do it at a later date as I was on a very tight budget and use my bike primarily in the daytime, anyways.

Then lo and behold, something amazing happened. I was on my daily commute to college when out of nowhere, suddenly the horn started working. Then, I flicked on the light switch and found that was working too! It just seemed to have fixed itself and still works to this day. What a relief, not mentioning how hilarious this entire ordeal has turned out to be!

But that wasn’t the only surprise. After the service, all the eagerness had come back. She became way more responsive than she was before and that was very refreshing indeed. In many ways, it did remind me of how she was after the first service she got after I bought her. That’s the importance of servicing at timely intervals. Though many of these old 2 strokes have had a rough life without seeing services for long periods, they still run like a charm.

However, once we are in the know, we also know never to neglect our machines. That’s the only way to make them last a lifetime, which at the end of the day, is what some of us truly desire!
Old 30th December 2022, 19:24   #13
BHPian

Honda CB Shine Mirrors, a quirky addition. While the chrome Fiem Royal Enfield mirrors beautifully compliment the classic and understated theme I’ve been going for with my motorcycle, unfortunately, disaster struck when the RHS mirror got destroyed. What happened was that the mirror screwthreads in the yoke had gotten worn down when I initially was trying to fit the mirrors as I didn’t know at that time that the mirrors screwed in the opposite direction in the right. This caused the mirror to be flimsy and occasionally come loose. This became worse, and on that fateful day, when I was trying to overtake a Verna on a tight, but highly bumpy road, the mirror flew off the yoke and landed smack in the middle of the lane with a sickening crack. I immediately pulled over, got off, and went to fetch the mirror. But it was too late.

Somehow, right next to the place where the mirror fell off were also a couple of large public dustbins, one with a green lid for biodegradable wastes and another with a blue lid for non-biodegradable ones. It was almost as if this was meant to happen. Tragic, yet utterly hilarious, looking back. So, with no other choice, I tossed what was now, the “ex-mirror” into the bin with the blue lid and rode back home.

I already had a spare RHS yoke with me. Just didn’t have a full matching mirror set. Ironically, I bought these Royal Enfield mirrors when the original LHS Max 100 mirror got destroyed, which meant I still had the RHS one with me at home. So I now had the LHS Royal Enfield mirror and the RHS Max 100 mirror. "No!", I firmly said to myself, dismissing any perverse ideas of combining the two together . Also, I thought it was time for a change since I’ve used Royal Enfield mirrors for about 7 months now. How time flies....

Thus, I rode to my parts store and asked for an LHS Max 100 mirror. The one I wanted was a quadrilateral-shaped one with a black plastic casing and a shiny chrome stem. But the store had only the one with the black coloured stem. They told me they had to search their godown for the kind I wanted, so I told them to go forth. They did, and produced before me, the kind that is an oval-ish shape one, which I don’t personally like. They told me it’ll take a couple of days for them to source the one I want, so I told I’ll come back later and went back home.

Then, I was left wondering. I had a 200-kilometre trip planned with my friends the next day, and I can’t go without mirrors (For safety as well as legal reasons). So, I did what any sensible person would. I went to my uncle’s CB Shine parked nearby, removed the mirrors, and put them on my bike. Now, if this sounds drastic (And kinda funny), understand that my uncle rarely uses his bike as he’s away for work and I’m the one who’s actually taking care of it and riding it every now and then. In fact, that CB Shine is the bike I learned to ride on and it served me faithfully for almost a year of college life till I got Suzanna.

So, does it suit my bike whose design stems from the 80s? Well, I’ll let you be the judge of that.

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-20221228_101059.jpg

Kanchi Kamakshi

The Soulful Workhorse | My 2002 TVS Max 100 R-20221228_144054.jpg

En route to Sri Maha Bhairavar Rudhra Alayam, Chengalpattu

Somehow, I can’t help but notice how these mirrors can actually work very well for the more cowled Suzukis like the Samurai, Shogun & Shaolin. No wonder Honda uses these exact same mirrors over a wide range of their model lineup and not just the CB Shine. Of course, there’s a lot of hype and demand for original Shogun mirrors usually, but CB Shine mirrors…. Who’d have thought?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks