Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2022, 22:36   #1

Old 1990 LML Scooter not starting | What to do?

Hello, from India.
I have two recently acquired scooters - Vespa derivatives - LML NV 1990 and Bajaj Chetak 1995.
Not very knowledgeable mechanically, I have seen how to pull the side cover and clean the sparkplug with cloth on the Chetak with success.
While trying to start the LML after 3 weeks, I found it not starting with a kick, so repeated the process above but with no success, even though the sparkplug became clean.
Also i can hear the turn-indicator beep and the gas-indicator needle seems to jump with every kick both in Key-ON and OFF positions.
I did the usuals, bending the scooter towards the right side and holding for a few seconds, kicking in fuel-ON position and then after smelling gas, kicking in Fuel-OFF position, to no avail.
Mechanic lives not nearby. All I have are the tools in the toolbox- hex nut, metal rod, screwdriver. Any more suggestions please.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Old 1990 LML Scooter not starting | What to do?

There can a be lot of things which can stop a scooter from starting. Cleaning the plugs is just one of them!

I would look at the following:

1. Do you have sufficient petrol in the tank?
2. Is it reaching the carburettor? Are there any traces of rust /grime / water etc in petrol?
3. Is the carburettor clean with a working float pin?
4. When you try kick starting the scooter, is there current passed through to the spark plug?
5. Have you tried using a different spark plug?
6. Is the aur filter clean?

These are just a few possibilities.
Based on what the finding is, there can be lot of different troubleshooting done.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 23:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading your post I feel that being mechanically not knowledgeable as you say about yourself, it is not worthwhile to attempt DIY at this stage with your two wheeler. Please search for a good mechanic in the vicinity and if he agrees to come to your place it's OK. Else, you can hire a three wheeler to ferry the scooter to his workshop to get the proper jobs done.

The first job that needs to be done is to check the fuel system fully. Next the mechanicals including engine and gearbox. And then the electricals. With all the checks and repairs as need be, hopefully the two wheeler could be back on the road.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawndon View Post
Any more suggestions please.
You might want to take a close look at this thread ("My Car Won't Start" | What To Do) and troubleshoot accordingly. The LML 2-stroke engine is a simple system by itself, and there should not be too much effort required by any local 2-wheeler mechanic to get it running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks