Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2022, 15:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Have slip disc issues | Need Scooter with comfort being the top priority

Slip disc and scooter do not belong in the same sentence. Period!

Get yourself a light motorcycle with decent suspension. The Honda CB300R is a wonderful combination of compact, light and quick, with just a slight bend to reach your bars (depending on your dimensions) which is actually much better than sitting straight up on a cruiser (look up how your spine should ideally flex). Avoid heavy cruisers completely. Something like a Honda Navi ‘might’ be a bit of a middle ground but I still would always recommend big wheels and proper suspension with a light kerb weight and a posture which is not ramrod straight.

Or

Get yourself an ebike (ebicycle) and equip it with a basket or carrier for groceries.

For a local runabout the latter is probably by far the best combination of convenience, comfort and cost. And it’ll probably even help your back over time.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, the best suspension in the world are the two you walk on. Learn to use them while riding (either bicycle or motorcycle) and it’ll make all the difference.

Last edited by RT13 : 24th September 2022 at 15:54.
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 17:45   #32
BHPian

I would STONGLY discourage anyone from using 2 wheelers if they have back issues or even weak back for that matter. I speak from personal experience on this.

Frankly, it does not matter how less the running is per month - at the end of the day, you are only one pothole away from serious trouble.

My recommendation would be that you get a second hand Alto 800 for daily errands. It is a no-nonsense beater car that would be prefect for short trips. I am assuming parking is not an issue for you. Alternatively, stick to Uber and Ola - yes, it hurts to pay 100-150 for 1-2 km trips, but that pain is nothing compared to a slip-disc injury.
Old 24th September 2022, 19:38   #33
BHPian

It is very difficult to find a perfect posture, that is upright position in any two wheeler. It is not about suspension and ride comfort in two wheeler but awkward ride position (also driving posture and position in four wheeler) that would aggravate slip disc or lumbar spondylitis. Also there is no back support in two wheeler. Experts in two wheeler can comment if any such options to choose from market.
It is important to note that persons with slip disc or spondylitis problems should choose cars with proper driving position. I believe SUV's and boxy cars suits more than most sedans with low driving position.
Old 24th September 2022, 23:43   #34
BHPian

Hi,
You have a slipped disc and you should not be riding a bike or a cycle period. Whatever be the opinion I have seen the other side of this and I would not recommend you for either. It may take anywhere between 6 to 18 months before you can take the call to ride a bike. It took me 9 years before I could get back in the saddle and 2 years from then I have to give it up again to avoid surgical intervention. My opinion is avoid any form of biking and walk the distance. Reevaluate at 6month intervals and take it slow. Personally I would recommend you to wait 1 year before you decide. Good luck.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 18:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
I have impinged(prolapsed) I worked on my lower back for a couple of years before riding again.
Can you please advise what specific actions you took to work on your lower back? I am recently diagnosed with same impinged discs with radiating leg pain, but both orthopedic and neurologist didn't advise me any specific exercise or physiotherapy, except brisk walk and some limited stretches.
Old 25th September 2022, 18:59   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivision View Post
Can you please advise what specific actions you took to work on your lower back? I am recently diagnosed with same impinged discs with radiating leg pain, but both orthopedic and neurologist didn't advise me any specific exercise or physiotherapy, except brisk walk and some limited stretches.
Whole bunch of lower back strengthening exercises. Weight loss. General fitness. Not sitting for long periods at a time.

Please consult a phiyotherapist. You will be given therapy or exercise or both depending on your pain level and mobility level.

It is constant maintenance and caution to avoid pulling a muscle or straining the back. Once in 3 or 4 years I do something that virtually immobilises me. Painkillers and therapy is all I have to avoid a surgery.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 19:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Whatever scooter or motorcycle you buy will still have to be sometimes manhandled by you with your back problem. Please take this into account. None of them will weigh below 110 kg.
Old 25th September 2022, 22:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
....is akin to "Am Diabetic | Need bengali sweets with lowest calorie count"
Not quite. Lots of Bengali sweets that are commercially available at mithai shops in Kolkata are diabetic-friendly, made with artificial sweeteners.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 15:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wouldn't a motorcycle be more comfortable than a scooter due to its larger wheels, longer travel suspension & more ideal seating / riding position?
This is the same reason I moved from an Activa 110 to an RE Meteor 350. I dont have a slipped disc but I have an old tailbone injury from sports. I don't think a scooter is a comfortable choice. I would rather take an Ola.
Old 27th September 2022, 15:18   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post

I do like the Activa but I am not open to it.
Owners please give me your insights.
Please recommend if any other 2 wheeler is good too.
I would suggest you to consider spending a few hundred rupees at a mechanic who specializes in shock absorbers and get your current shock mellowed out to you liking.
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post

Get yourself an ebike (ebicycle) and equip it with a basket or carrier for groceries.

For a local runabout the latter is probably by far the best combination of convenience, comfort and cost. And it’ll probably even help your back over time.
e-bikes usually have none, or paltry suspensions. I guess the OP should also consider a TVS XL100 moped, if he's reading these replies. Points in favour:

1. Lightweight as compared to other options and easy to maneuver.
2. Step-through, so good for his father as well.
3. Larger wheels than on a scooter, so better on rough roads.
4. Better cushioning than on many scooters (this one needs corroboration).
5. One model comes with a split seat. The rider seat could be replaced with a sprung seat.

On point no. 5: my uncle used to own a Vicky Mark II "Export"* mini motorcycle (50cc putter with bad gearing). He later removed the single piece seat and replaced it with a scooter-like two seat arrangement because he found the suspension to be too hard for him. The rider's seat looked really odd, sticking out and causing us limitless cringe, but [nearly 40] years later it seems he was right.

* here's a Twitter post I found about the Vicky (sorry for the OT ramble):

https://twitter.com/theghostrider31/...245570?lang=en

Last edited by davelok : 3rd October 2022 at 20:32.
Old 4th October 2022, 12:55   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelok View Post
e-bikes usually have none, or paltry suspensions. I guess the OP should also consider a TVS XL100 moped, if he's reading these replies.
Mopeds are great and the XL100 is a truck on two wheels. But for those not from TN they tend to be viewed with some…. condescension. Sadly. Good option though.

WRT e-bikes and suspension, that’s too long an OT debate for this thread but in short I’ll say that even if it’s totally rigid (no suspension), with large wheels, decent tyres and good riding technique, they will still be far superior to any scooter for the back. And wrt suspension, even with the best suspension, with incorrect posture and a tendency to crash through potholes, one’s back will suffer terribly.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 15:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
....is akin to "Am Diabetic | Need bengali sweets with lowest calorie count"

Sorry Piyush but you cannot sit on anything between your legs anymore. Your rear has to be always on a full seat with a backrest and exercise and yoga and weight management alone will help.

From
a disc prolapse survivor...
Completely agree here and from another disc prolapse survivor
Post my recovery, I dreaded even to go in any small car due to low height and especially in pot holed roads. Until your core muscles are strengthened (via Yoga, Swimming and sufficient care of your back), it is not advisable unless your back really takes a backseat on your priorities.

Most Viewed