Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 15:37   #1

Royal Enfield: Engine oil burning problem

My 2022 royal Enfield interceptor 650 has done 8500 kms till now. I had topped up the engine oil on the 2nd free service at 5000 kms. When I casually checked the engine oil level it was well below the ideal level. So I topped it immediately. It took nearly a liter of engine oil .my bike had burnt 1 liter of engine oil for just 3500 kms of usage. Is this quantity of burning normal on interceptor/ continental GT 650? Or should I get my engine checked?
The_Stig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 19:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield: Engine oil burning problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
My 2022 royal E.......... GT 650? Or should I get my engine checked?
Assuming that you had checked the oil level on a warm engine with the motorcycle in centre stand on a level parking lot : -

Are you getting smoke out of the exhaust ?
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 00:00   #3

Yes I have checked the oil level with my motorcycle on centre stand on level surface, when the is engine is warm. I don't think I see any smoke out of the exhaust
Old 26th October 2022, 09:11   #4
BHPian

Check for oil leakage on the engine and drain bolt. When the engine and exhausts are cold, stick your finger in the exhaust and check for oily residue. If its burning through oil, there will be residue inside the exhaust pipes, like you can see on older 2 stroke bikes. Another sign of burning oil is white smoke from the exhaust while running and a burning smell. Your engine is consuming almost a litre of oil in 3500kms,which seems a bit high. Probably the valve seals or piston rings are worn out. Since its a new bike, I suggest you get it checked out at the dealership.
windrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
My 2022 royal Enfield interceptor 650 has done 8500 kms till now. I had topped up the engine oil on the 2nd free service at 5000 kms. When I casually checked the engine oil level it was well below the ideal level. So I topped it immediately. It took nearly a liter of engine oil .my bike had burnt 1 liter of engine oil for just 3500 kms of usage. Is this quantity of burning normal on interceptor/ continental GT 650? Or should I get my engine checked?
One litre of oil for 3500 kms is high. The 650 engine has a issue of drinking oil as per some posts here on the 650 thread, however not at an alarming rate.
My bike is a 22' make as well and I have run around 4700 kms, but haven't seen much of drop in level nor have I topped it up.

Hopefully, you haven't over-filled.

Last edited by tharian : 26th October 2022 at 10:59.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 12:31   #6
BHPian

I just gave my bike for 15000 km service and SA told me that there's a deficiency of 500ml of oil. I had changed the oil at 10000km to Motul 7100 4T 10W50. Is 500ml reduction in 5000 km considered normal?
Old 13th May 2023, 13:25   #7
BHPian

There could be multiple factors..
- The new engines do consume oil and it will be mentioned in owners manual too.
- It could also be, slightly lower oil filled when shipped/serviced.

I would say, observe for one thousand Kms and check once. If the oil level is dropping beyond whats mentioned in the manual, then get it checked.

Its a Twin cylinder engine, so the oil consumption, if any will be twice the singles , So, i would say, dont panic. Just get it checked. Enjoy your ride bud.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed