Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike

Sometimes when I’m tired and frustrated after work, or with life in general, I play video games for fun and distraction. Video games have helped create some of the most memorable moments in my life, and it would be a sad existence without them. A few months ago, during a particularly stressful time in my life, I started playing another game for fun and distraction. That game is called Dark Souls III. I was frustrated before I started playing this game, I was raging and crying when the first boss killed me 20 times in a row.

Most of the time when I’m tired and frustrated after work, or with life in general, I ride motorcycles for fun and distraction. Motorcycles have helped create most of the memorable moments in my life, and I can’t imagine an existence without them. About a year ago, during a particularly stressful time in my life, I bought a new motorcycle for fun and distraction. That motorcycle is called the Xpulse. I was frustrated before I started riding this motorcycle, I was raging and crying when I kept falling off of it every 20 minutes or so.

Yes, Xpulse is the Dark Souls of motorcycles.

The Dream

I ride motorcycles exclusively for entertainment, I’m lucky to not have to use them for commuting, and even luckier that I don’t ride them for a job. Part of this entertainment is being able to ride to places that a car can’t reach, and normal people wouldn’t even wanna walk to. I did that quite a lot with my Pulsar 150, and then again with my Duke 390, and then again with my Interceptor, and even with my Activa, with some hilariously catastrophic consequences. My primary motivation behind buying the Xpulse was that it will make this exploration even easier and more fun.

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-activa.jpg

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-pulsar.jpg

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-duke.jpg

The Reality

I ended up buying an Xpulse with the Rally Kit already installed, because there was no stock bike available anywhere near me, and the bike looks absolutely smashing with the Rally Kit. I have no experience riding a stock Xpulse, and that experience may be entirely different, but with my Xpulse, the trouble started right at the dealership, when I tried to majestically ride away on my new steed, only to be unable to reach down to the side-stand to kick it up, and having to request an amused mechanic to help a brother out. Things only went downhill from there as the new bike excitement quickly died away.

As I was approaching home I tried to stop and park the bike in front of the gate, only to find myself in a false neutral, the bike already leaned at an angle expecting some power, and down it went. The neighbours and my dad looked at me, their faces clearly saying “What a jackass”.

Pretty quickly after this I developed a fear of leaning the bike, which is not a good fear to have, motorcycles kinda need to lean for basically everything except going in a straight line. This fear was reinforced when each time I tried taking a slow U turn, the bike would lean a bit, I would immediately panic, and just walk away from it, like Ajay Devgun from an exploding car.

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-xpulse-3.jpg

I did not let these falls discourage me too much, still kept exploring, but I had lost confidence in my riding abilities. Trails where I’d happily take the puny Pulsar 150, I was scared of taking the Xpulse. What if I get stuck and need to make a U turn? What if I drop it and get stuck under it? These thoughts are unhelpful, and I never had them with other bikes, but once they’re there, you’re done. Motorcycles are risky business, but you never really think about the risk, until you think about the risk, and then there’s nothing but the risk.

About a year after getting the Xpulse, I bought an Interceptor. In the year I had the Xpulse, I had done about 2000 kms on it. I did about 5000 kms on the Interceptor within half that time. When I went to Spiti, I took the Interceptor. That’s like having a spaceship ready to take you to the Moon, but deciding that shooting yourself out of a cannon is a more desirable option.

This created even more doubt in my mind about the Xpulse, why would I even want to keep this thing when I don’t really enjoy riding it? Every time the weekend came along, and I had to decide where to go and what to ride, I nearly always chose the Inty. Riding the Xpulse felt like a math exam, riding the Interceptor felt like watching a movie with friends.

The Problems

Quote:
The fundamental paradox of the Xpulse is this: It is the cheapest off-road focused machine in the market, so a lot of beginners would buy it to get better at off-roading. However, it is not a great beginner bike to learn off-roading on, and to make good use of its abilities you already need to be reasonably good at off-roading.
What this translates to is a very steep learning curve, and a lot of pain and agony. This bike makes nothing easy for you, it’s taller than anything you’ve ever have ridden, so simple moves like U turns are the stuff of nightmares, even after removing the handlebar risers and dropping the bike an inch on the front suspension.

Throttle control is non-existent, the accelerator is basically an on/off switch, and it is extremely difficult to be smooth at slow speeds. 1st gear is too short, 2nd gear is too long, and the redline comes too early. Seating position is weird, handlebars are too high when you sit, and too low when you stand.

The overall build quality is cheap, each bump loudly rattles the front brake pads, the throttle side switch housing likes to rotate without reason, and the whole package creates a rather unsatisfying ownership experience. The suspension is adjustable, but as a beginner both the highest and lowest settings feel exactly the same to you, so the adjustability is entirely pointless.

Finally, and most importantly, this thing has no power, so you really have to rely on your undeveloped skills to get you out of a jam. You have to plan an uphill section in advance, maintain momentum, and really commit, because unlike other bikes just twisting the throttle won’t do you any good, especially when you can’t even put your feet down.

I’m 5 foot 7, 5 foot 8 on a heavy breakfast. With the Rally Kit, I can just about put the tip of my left foot on the ground. This is with the stock seat, if I put on the rally seat, the bike is basically a horse.

Everything I’ve said above can be disregarded if you’re willing to put in the effort to learn to ride this machine. It is a terrible bike to learn on, but if you manage to do it somehow, your fundamentals will be pretty ironclad. Which brings to me to my second set of complaints.

The Xpulse is Xtremely off-road focused, which means to really enjoy it, and learn on it, you need to take it off-road, surprise surprise. I live near Himachal, hills and rivers are literally 10 minutes away from my home, but even then it takes so much effort to find the special places where this machine is in its element. Sand is fun, but stony river beds are not, and any uphill sections that are too steep aren’t great either. Your preference may be different, but how easy would it be for you to find a jungle nearby? If you're really serious about learning, you'd want to ride this thing in a dirt-riding training facility of some kind, but I don't have one nearby, how far is one from you?

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-xpulse.jpg

If you’re thinking “Well there’s a trail just an hour or so away by road”, prepare yourself for the torture of taking this thing on the highway. The Maxxis tires sound like a truck at any speeds above 80 kph, but that doesn’t really matter since you can’t go beyond 100 anyway or the entire thing threatens to shake itself to bits like an old Royal Enfield. Overtaking anyone on the highway requires a 5 year plan, and the engine constantly sounds like it wants to commit suicide.

The tires have tubes, so a puncture is the end of the world. You can’t really ride at night because the headlight is a joke. Because of the very nature of its existence, after every ride this thing gets super filthy and must be washed, especially the chain, mine is already destroyed at less than 3000 kms. You can't really keep the Xpulse as your only bike, because the handlebars are too wide for lane-splitting, and getting on the pillion seat is an Olympic sport.

On the bright side though, you sit so high up that striking conversations with truck drivers is easy.

The Realization

A good question can be asked at this point, why don’t I just sell this devil spawn and be done with it? The answer is simple, I was, and am, too proud to admit that I can’t really ride this thing properly. I will make jokes about myself falling off the seat for sure, but deep down it hurts me to know just how much I suck off-road. I will not sell this machine, I'll keep struggling, but it is a struggle. I’m a self-proclaimed “biker”, I have even done some proper off-road training, I ran a whole website about motorcycles for crying out loud, I’m supposed to be good with 2 wheelers. What the hell has gone wrong?

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-1595848410438141.jpg

After months of frustration, I finally spoke to a friend who is really into off-roading, to get her help and opinion. I told her about the problems I was facing with the Xpulse, and she told me about things I could do to improve. There were body strengthening exercises, exercises for balance, on-bike training, foot positioning and a bunch of other ideas. That all made sense when she said it, but exercise was not something I had ever associated with riding motorcycles. I was unsure and confused, and then she said something profound.

“Maybe off-roading is not for you”.

It is kinda funny that I had never thought of this possibility. I love motorcycles, and I thought I enjoyed all kinds of riding, I MUST enjoy all kinds of riding, touring, track riding, and off-roading of course. I had failed to appreciate that there are levels within each of these activities, track riding can be around a go-kart track on an Aprilia SR150, or it can be around Mugello on an Aprilia RSV4.

"Off-roading" can mean many different things.

The Acceptance

I do like off-roading, and I am good at off-roading, but only the non-hardcore kind, the kind where you go on a trail and go “Whoa dude that’s so gnarly did you see how my rear fishtailed over that rock”, only to see a local uncle on a Splendor doing the same route with 15 kg of milk cans at the back.

Xpulse is not a toy, it is a professional tool with a very specific purpose. To make use of that tool, you have to train yourself physically and mentally, you have to gain competence in using that tool, you have to understand and respect the tool. I ride motorcycles to go “vroom” and occasionally see mountains as a side-effect, I'm entirely too comfortable being a mediocre off-roader. The Xpulse is wasted on someone like me, but sadly for it, stuck with me it is.

Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike-duke-2.jpg

Most of us can imagine that having a dog would be fun. They are cute and cuddly, they do silly stuff, and they make life a bit more interesting. You have booped a couple of dogs in your life, have seen a lot of dog memes, why not just go out and get one? Buying an Xpulse is like having this idea, and buying a trained Army sniffer dog.

You like dogs, so why not get a hardcore variety right? Right? Then you get the dog, and it needs 6 hours of exercise each day, and more mental stimulation in a day than you provide for yourself in a year. You, who wakes up at 11 after snoozing 6 alarms, is now woken up by the dog at 5 or he is going to poop on the couch, after he has ripped the said couch to bits because he has too much unspent energy.

To justify the Xpulse, to make use of the Xpulse and the wonderful abilities it has, you need to work hard, exercise and train regularly, push your limits, and find out there’s so much you don’t know about motorcycles. It is not fun, it is tiring, it is frustrating, and most of the time it hurts. It is a serious piece of kit that demands your attention and respect, and it is a beautifully rewarding experience when you finally start taming the beast and getting in control. I mean I’ve heard it is beautifully rewarding from other people, I’m too lazy to find out.

Last edited by RiderZone : 13th November 2022 at 23:43.
RiderZone is offline   (152) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 05:35   #2
BHPian

re: Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike

Sorry to hear the bike didn't work out for you. But to be fair, the thread needs to be titled:
"Xpulse Rally Edition is not a fun bike"

Since you say you're too stubborn to sell off the bike, just sell of the rally kit suspension and side stand and get the stock parts. No big loss. And once you run the maxxis tyres bald, get the usual ceat gripp XLs or whatever road biased tyres you want. Or just put them on anyway.

The stock xpulse has a much more accessible seat height. That'll make a world of difference for you. That bomb squad sniffer will suddenly start looking like your friendly neighborhood street dog. It's a fairly casual bike. You'll start having something closer to the experience you actually wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
this thing has no power, so you really have to rely on your undeveloped skills to get you out of a jam.
The no power complaint is handled by slotting in an appropriate gear and using the clutch to get you the drive you need. Accelerate in short bursts to have better control.

Quote:
Because of the very nature of its existence, after every ride this thing gets super filthy and must be washed, especially the chain, mine is already destroyed at less than 3000 kms.
Could be some sort of manufacturing issue with yours. I'm still on my second pair of chain and sprockets on my Impulse in a decade. And I clean my chain on a very lazy timeline.

Anyway, don't give up on the xpulse yet. Throw a few thousands at it to get it back to stock. You'll atleast change the title of this thread to "Xpulse is not a not-fun bike."

Last edited by drt_rdr : 14th November 2022 at 05:41.
drt_rdr is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 09:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hahaha. Brilliant man. I do miss your unfiltered writing though lol!

Do yourself a favor and switch the suspension back to stock. And the fun you will then have on that will be unparalleled.

Second, that offroad suspension kit you have is meant to not let the suspension bottom out when going really hard at over 80 kmph. Think Dakar. Or doing jumps in a dirt park.

For our kind of exploratory offroad riding, stock xpulse with the stock suspension is the beast.

I rode the xpulse with stock suspension back to back with the 390 adventure on some trails in Ladakh. Damn xpulse felt like a toy. Throttle pinned open ALL the time. Much fun.

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th November 2022 at 09:18.
Red Liner is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 09:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Agree with drt_rdr that title is misleading.
To be precise it should be "XPulse with Rally Kit is not a fun street bike"
I mentioned Rally Kit because the Maxxis tyres are gone in the Rally Edition which comes factory built now.

Most of OP's issues happen when the off road meets the road and is quite expected. A friend wanted to get the "rally edition" because "more GC is good" but on looking at a bike on the road, he immediately backed out.
I remember watching a video on the Rally kit where a 5'10" guy was using blocks placed on the road to tip toe the bike with the rally seat on, was enough to judge its usability in real life.
Although I do agree that not having a demo bike with that trim isn't helping the customers but I also understand Hero's decision to not provide it to the dealers especially when the numbers are miniscule for that model and its built on order.

From experience I can say that the XPulse(stock) is a very comfortable city bike, stock suspension is excellent to take care of our municipal obstacle courses, the engine response is flat and uninspiring, the FE is good, haven't ridden one in the night so can't comment on the headlamp but I don't expect much from it.
Spares should be cheap, the motorcycle reliable and any quality issues one faces shouldn't be much of an expense not to forget the 5 year standard warranty(at least on the 4V) is good.

I would also agree to switch it back to stock, the spares are reasonable in pricing, and let the XPulse regain some fondness from the OP
Will wait for that even more fun to read post though.

PS : the truck drivers comment was hilarious

Last edited by shancz : 14th November 2022 at 09:32. Reason: spells, ccl, ps
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:03   #5
BHPian

As others indicated, most of the issues is because the rally edition is not something you can use on your regular roads for known reasons. I bought the xpulse regular version about 2 months and having a great time with the bike. The suspension is perfectly setup for our roads and this has been my preferred option for local commute /short rides over my other bikes ,CBR250 and R3 .

The rally edition looked smashing ( the simple graphics etc ) for me. I took a test ride and found the bike to be difficult on regular roads ( very tall, taking a 3 point U turn ) and understood that it was bit too much for my kind of usage.

From your notes, I observed that the bike was purchased without a test ride and which is a big NO, especially for a bike of this type .

I would suggest you to find someone who has the stock version (you can ask the dealer to give some references who bought the stock version), ride it and feel the difference . Then you can decide to replace the suspension, & side stand to make it more usable.
Doo_Dev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

The X Pulse with rally kit and rally seat nudges 930 mm or so. That is TALL, by any measure! I am really surprised you opted for it without considering the aspect of seat height.

Like some have suggested, switch it back to stock set up at least till you get comfortable with the prospect of off-roading with a tall bike. Then if you need, you can switch back to the rally set up.

Don’t fret about seat height. I have a friend in Pune who’s just under 5’4” (my height is the same incidentally) - she rides the X Pulse like a boss with the rally set up. You need to basically crack the entire standstill routine of how you’re going to get one foot firmly on ground when you come to a halt, even if it means its your hammies (underthigh and not bum) which is ON the seat as a result. You could also practice a moving mount and dismount routine to add further skill sets.

The X Pulse is a light bike. Why struggle with complex u turns. Dismount. Put it on a side stand and pivot it around. There are plenty of hacks to get around any situation. When I’m on a narrow trail on a 250 kilo adventure bike I don’t always opt for reversing the bike back peddling with my feet. Particularly if the terrain is gravely and the slope is against me. I simply dismount and turn it by hand if I must.

Treat this as diving into the deep end and learning some new skills and just enjoy that process. Once you’ve mastered this, you would have made a HUGE step up in your riding skills and acquired some new skills in the process too in order to make the bike work for you.

Finally, if these bikes fall - so be it. They’re built to withstand that with the right protection. Don’t fret about it too much.
Axe77 is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:55   #7
BHPian

The Dark Souls analogy is more than enough for me to understand the frustration you are going through. The ‘Git Gud’ is pain personified.

The humour is a breath of fresh air. Reminded me of wittiness of English writers. Your pain is real though. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
NTab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Buddy I am 6 ft tall and I would never in my life consider getting the Xpulse with the rally kit as even I would struggle with the insane 930 seat height. I loved riding the stock Xpulse as the seat height was much more manageable and the engine just begged me to thrash her around.

Someone had the Xpulse with a rally kit and I gave up without so much as a short ride on her as I found the seat height waaaay too daunting.

As almost everyone has said get rid of the rally kit. It's simply not needed unless you are doing off roading professionally. You will never bottom out the generous 190mm suspension unless you are really ripping the bike over massive undualations so simply get rid of the Rally kit before you try anything else.
bf1983 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:02   #9
BHPian

MODS: If possible could you please update the title to: "Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike"

No reason to slander the machine for my stupidity! The reason I'd just gone with Xpulse was because for me, this is what the Xpulse is and always has been. Also I didn't think the difference would be that much from stock, since I've already lowered the bike on the front suspension considerably.

Also, funny story about switching back to stock suspension. I was so damn sure that I'll get better with the Rally Kit, and the bike looked so damn tasty with it, that I sold the stock suspension within about a month of buying the bike. Maybe that story isn't so funny now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Don’t fret about seat height. I have a friend in Pune who’s just under 5’4” (my height is the same incidentally) - she rides the X Pulse like a boss with the rally set up.
I think you're talking about the same person I mentioned in the post and linked her Insta to
RiderZone is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
MODS: If possible could you please update the title to: "Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike"

Also, funny story about switching back to stock suspension. I was so damn sure that I'll get better with the Rally Kit, and the bike looked so damn tasty with it, that I sold the stock suspension within about a month of buying the bike. Maybe that story isn't so funny now that I think about it.
Didn't you mention in your earlier post that Stock bike was not available .

Quote:
I ended up buying an Xpulse with the Rally Kit already installed, because there was no stock bike available anywhere near me, and the bike looks absolutely smashing with the Rally Kit.
In the latest post, you have mentioned about selling the stock suspension. Did you buy the stock or rally edition? Of late you get either the stock one or the rally edition . The rally kit as a separate addon is difficult to get (atleast in my place).
Doo_Dev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 12:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
In the latest post, you have mentioned about selling the stock suspension. Did you buy the stock or rally edition? Of late you get either the stock one or the rally edition . The rally kit as a separate addon is difficult to get (atleast in my place).
The bike I bought was probably a display piece, with the whole Rally Kit already installed, but I also had to buy all the stock bike parts, suspension, side-stand, brake lever etc., because the showroom refused to buy them back. I was head over heels in love with the way the Rally Kit looked, so it was an easy choice. The showroom could possibly have reverted the bike to stock, but at that time I didn't really consider that option, especially considering that this is a relatively tiny showroom, and I didn't really trust their competence in taking the bike to bits for a second time.
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Hero Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike

Quote:
May be you could be a bit more merciful to the title and add "Xpulse with Rally Kit is not a fun bike for Everyone" As there are many who are having time of their lives on Xpulse rally as well as non rally.

To Err is only human and we all do make mistakes. Yours, i guess is wrong choice of weapon more then the weapon being blunt. A good test ride of rally kitted xpulse would he given a fair idea of what to expect before the purchase. Least you could have done is gone through Xpulse thread right here on Teambhp with plenty of information on the subject including my story of purchasing a normal xpulse, and a week later fitted it with rally kit and another week later, got it removed and the following week, sold the rally kit so someone deserving. Since then, i have been happily enjoying the non-rally xpulse.

Some of the points with the bike you have raised can be addressed with mods etc, but from your post, it seems like you heart is not really with the bike to begin with. If possible release her to someone where you and the bike, both would be happier.
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 16:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I will just say you went in without doing the research, just like you did with Dark souls 3 (Name itself is good enough to not turn to it when you are in pretty stressful part of your life, and you said you play games for fun). Same way you went with a bike which was over and above the thought process you nurtured to do with it.

That said many have already echoed the sentiment, and the title is already changed. Sell the bike off, buy a KTM 390 ADV maybe, it will take you places when you want to do offroad, it will keep you happy on the highway also.

That said you capture the essence very nicely about living with a proper ADV bike, it takes in a lot of effort and hardwork to extract the all out of it, and ofcourse training as well. This article should actually be a guiding article on how to pick horses for courses.

Your writing skills though are absolutley spot on, had me hooked till the end
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 17:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason I'd just gone with Xpulse was because for me, this is what the Xpulse is and always has been.
Understandable, I do that too
In my case and within friends the RTR always means the RTR180, Duke always means the 390 Duke.
When writing a post I have to make a conscious effort to say RTR180 and not just RTR but I miss that sometimes too.

Now back to your XPulse with Rally Kit, check how much do the stock parts cost, they should be quite reasonable or try to find someone who's looking to buy your bike or someone who is looking to sell the stock parts, like you did.

Good Luck
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 18:25   #15
BHPian

And here I am on the other end - with an XPulse rally edition with the tall seat for good measure - only for commuting on the trails we call Bangalore roads!

Fun? Oh yes, most definitely. It’s like having a balcony view of the traffic - am picking gaps like I’ve never done before and completely ignoring the road conditions. Best commuter for Bangalore.

Disclaimer: I’m 6’4” - and so happy that finally there is one motorcycle which is more friendly for us vertically abnormal folks.
pavanmadhini is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks