Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2022, 10:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Classic 500 scale model costs as much as a 100cc scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
This isn't some stamped out plastic maisto toy to be had for peanuts. It is hand crafted by a few people from the design team using a mini lathe and mini cnc and a lot of milling by hand. So, before you comment on how everything in the world has to come cheap, understand the work that goes behind a project like this. They don't come out of a production line but is more in the lines of jewellery making by true artisans.
I agree, although the piece is expensive, it is at par if not cheaper than a ton of scale models sold abroad by different manufacturers. These things aren't meant to be cheap or affordable and is just made to appreciate the craftsmanship that goes behind it. People pay millions of dollars for art pieces that to me look like just paint splashed onto a canvas, but to them has some meaning. Same goes here as well.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 00:22   #17
BHPian

As some of them were saying it's too costly. All the units of all colours of the 1:3 scale model have sold out.
865interceptor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 23:43   #18
BHPian

I just saw a video of this scale model getting unboxed. Looks fantastic! This is a collectible made to what seems like very high and exacting standards. I’m unlikely to be able to afford it but I’d rather RE makes a quality product than churn out a piece of moulded plastic.

I too am surprised at the criticism and comparison of this scale model to the price of a used RE.

What’s next- an argument that a pair of high end, handmade, Goodyear welted boots should cost less than a buffalo? Maybe I should have a Buffalo in my wardrobe, you can’t really milk shoes.

Cheers
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 00:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Lets hope atleast these models arent plagued by the typical RE issues we are aware of, starting with rust.
+1

There’s nothing wrong in inventing or carving a scale model and nothing wrong in pricing it that high. A fan is a fan and if he wants it, he can have it. The only thing here is that there should not be any issues like rusting or else we will have another thread here discussing the niggles of the scale model.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 05:34   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lovely. I saw Adil Jal Darukhanawalla’s un-boxing video and truly this is superb precision engineered scale model.
I think it is a great initiative by the engineers. Like a draughtsman’s engineered scale model.
Nice to see that such passion for engineering and building things hasn’t died out yet, especially at one of our automotive manufacturers!
For all the naysayers out here with all the snarky comments on pricing, please note that serious collectors don’t mind paying for and indulging their passion.
What the lay person may consider for example, some daubs of paint on a canvas, can fetch millions in an Art Auction. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder and can be afforded by some, so who are we to sit in judgement?

As a reference take a look at this company that makes scale models of Ferrari engines.

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/10/ea...to-create/amp/

Royal Enfield too, is a cult classic, like Ferrari is.
I’ll leave it there.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th February 2023 at 05:45.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks