Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 12:29   #1

Which Sports Bike for 5-lakh rupees?

Greetings to all the fellow BHPians.

Now, I really wish I was writing this post for myself, however this will not the case for today, but someday.

A few days ago, the GM for my company approached me asking for some recommendations for sports bike.
Currently he has a 2021/22 Harrier, WagonR, and a 2018/19 Bajaj Pulsar 200 in his garage. He is looking to sell his Pulsar, which as under 3k on the odo and upgrade to a better bike. As of now, he hasn't short listed any bike yet. The following are the criteria for a bike he is looking for.
  • On-road price should not be more than 5 lakh, but can strech 1 lakh if it's worth it.
  • Needs to be sports bike. He is looking for something looks aggressive, full bodied

Based on his criteria, the bikes these I've suggested to him are-
  • BMW G310RR
  • kawasaki Ninja 300
  • Kawasaki Ninja 400

As mentioned, no bike has been shortlisted nor any test drives have been done. It would be really helpful for him if y'all can suggest what should he go for. He is open to both routes, New and Pre-owned, meeting his criteria and likes.
Also, please do suggest if you've any references as to where he can look for bikes in Delhi NCR.
Warking is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 20:01   #2
BHPian

re: Which Sports Bike for 5-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warking View Post
Greetings to all the fellow BHPians.

Now, I really wish I was writing this post for myself, however this will not the case for today, but someday.

A few days ago, the GM for my company approached me asking for some recommendations for sports bike.
Currently he has a 2021/22 Harrier, WagonR, and a 2018/19 Bajaj Pulsar 200 in his garage. He is looking to sell his Pulsar, which as under 3k on the odo and upgrade to a better bike. As of now, he hasn't short listed any bike yet. The following are the criteria for a bike he is looking for.
  • On-road price should not be more than 5 lakh, but can strech 1 lakh if it's worth it.
  • Needs to be sports bike. He is looking for something looks aggressive, full bodied

Based on his criteria, the bikes these I've suggested to him are-
  • BMW G310RR
  • kawasaki Ninja 300
  • Kawasaki Ninja 400

As mentioned, no bike has been shortlisted nor any test drives have been done. It would be really helpful for him if y'all can suggest what should he go for. He is open to both routes, New and Pre-owned, meeting his criteria and likes.
Also, please do suggest if you've any references as to where he can look for bikes in Delhi NCR.
I would recommend the TVS Apache RR310 wholeheartedly instead of the BMW. Their spares network might be unreliable and service costs will go through the roof. The Ninjas are not value for money at all, and the older models do not have ABS on them (cannot be retrofitted also).

The RR310 can be customised with the Race kit or the Dynamic kit according to their preferences.
saitvsk23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I think at this price point,New Ninja 300/400s, Pre Used Ninja 650s, the Apache RR310, KTM RC 390 would be your best bet. If he is into the retro faired style, he can get a new Continental GT650 and purchase an Aftermarket Fairing from MK Designs for it. Image Below:

Name:  844600x600.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  67.7 KB
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 21:32   #4
BHPian

Hey Warking, welcome to the forum.
For starters, the members here will need more info like
1. Intended Usage
2. Previous riding experience (including and excluding the kms done on current Pulsar)
3. Riding Preference: Solo vs With pillion

My 2 cents:
For a budget of 5-6 lakhs, a ninja 300 makes a very strong case for itself with its lovely and super reliable twin cylinder engine and really neat looks. If ridden carefully, it should not be too intimidating for the GM considering his 3k kms riding experience.
He can even look for a used Ninja 650 (ABS model), if he can be matured enough to handle the big jump in power(compared to a pulsar).

In case he wants to keep the maintenance costs low, the RR310 suggested above is also a very good option.

And then there's RC390, comparitively cheaper to own and maintain but I'm not sure about the reliability aspect of it.

Please ask him to test ride the various options before making up his mind.
pratik_terni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

If he has ridden sport bikes and wants one for the way they ride, nothing beats the RC390. It has enough grunt and such a beautifully balanced yet aggressive chassis where you get to sit on top and feel like you are orchestrating the entire ride

That said, many people buy sport bikes just for the looks in which case a Benelli 302R would be a good buy even used since it came with a 5 year unlimited kilometer warranty at some point, adjustable forks, a slick color scheme and a cool sounding engine. Even the Ninja might feel just right for him.

With bikes it is best to go out there and test ride everything absolutely no other way to decide what to buy. I remember when I first wanted to buy a bike everyone recommended a CBR250 which even I liked the look of an being a Honda it is a solid product but I just didn't like the way my body fit on it. I did not like the fit of the R15 either (V2). These are arguably good bikes but it all depends on one's frame, height and level of eagerness/riding style and preferences.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:55   #6
BHPian

Re: Which Sports Bike for 5-lakh rupees?

Quote:
Given his location and budget, Ninja650 is a very good option from the Pre-owned segment. Kawasaki will give him the snob value as it seems to be a desired factor. a less than 2 year old piece can be easily had in this budget.

Skip the BMW and buy the TVS in case he wants a new one and stays within budget. Same bike, better price.
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned and ridden both Apache RR310 and Ninja 650, Ninja 650 is a no brainer, it is a better built bike, has very less vibrations and you can tour on it all day long. Apache looks just a bit better, and has a fancy instrument cluster now, but overall it does not hold a candle to Ninja 650. Well kept pre owned Ninja Should be the way to go!
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:17   #8
BHPian

Hello Warking,

Welcome to Team bhp.

If you ask me; a pre owned Ninja 650 at a budget of 6L is definitely worth to buy. Since the budget is good; there is a need to hunt a good one in pre owned market and you can get one with very less odo. Even you can check with Kawasaki showroom for exchanged bikes if any. Same case goes with Triumph bonneville.

Sure it might take some time; but it will be a great deal and a step up ( proper large capacity bike) from single to multi cylinder group.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
Old 8th December 2022, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Ninja 650 pre-owned if strictly looking for sports faired bikes. Why not try the Continental GT650? Parallel twin, great cruiser
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 13:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Ninja 650 pre-owned if strictly looking for sports faired bikes. Why not try the Continental GT650? Parallel twin, great cruiser
Actually owning both the interceptor 650 and Ninja 650, I will anyday pick the Ninja 650 over the Interceptor 650 for all day cruising on tarred roads. Fuss free ownership, no headache of what to do if tyre gets a puncture, and no fear of being left stranded on the road somewhere!

Interceptor will trump if pillion is needed, but that does not seems to be the requirement here.

Last edited by AtheK : 8th December 2022 at 13:28.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 13:31   #11
BHPian

Only a CBR 650R could be considered in this range, but only by stretching 2-3 Lakhs.

if he seeks more madness, then Yamaha's Tenere 900 or FZ9 are well worth the 2X price he spends on it.

Well, he has to stretch his budget by ~1.5-2X times for the real fun of a super bike. Rest all in this budget are just imposters of a Super bike.

Last edited by Mustang_Boss : 8th December 2022 at 13:34.
Old 9th December 2022, 01:11   #12
BHPian

Hi Warking,

As many of the members have suggested, Ninja 650 makes a great option within the said budget.

I myself was in a similar situation as your GM. Got a pre-owned Ninja 650, and it has been keeping me enthralled.

Sharing my ownership review in case it helps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ip-review.html (Piranha: Story of my pre-loved Kawasaki Ninja 650 | Ownership Review)
harmanjeet14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 07:35   #13
BHPian

Stay away from TVS RR 310.
The bike as a whole is a fantastic beast but the ASS is pathetic.
Your bike will be treated like the regular RTR series and there are multiple horror stories of RR 310 service experience.
FalconRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 07:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_terni View Post
Hey Warking, welcome to the forum.
For starters, the members here will need more info like
1. Intended Usage
2. Previous riding experience (including and excluding the kms done on current Pulsar)
3. Riding Preference: Solo vs With pillion

My 2 cents:
For a budget of 5-6 lakhs, a ninja 300 makes a very strong case for itself with its lovely and super reliable twin cylinder engine and really neat looks. If ridden carefully, it should not be too intimidating for the GM considering his 3k kms riding experience.
He can even look for a used Ninja 650 (ABS model), if he can be matured enough to handle the big jump in power(compared to a pulsar).

In case he wants to keep the maintenance costs low, the RR310 suggested above is also a very good option.

And then there's RC390, comparitively cheaper to own and maintain but I'm not sure about the reliability aspect of it.

Please ask him to test ride the various options before making up his mind.
I went ahead and asked him the following questions.
  1. The bike will be used for occasional rides, weekend drives, and stuff.
  2. He has riding experience of upwards of 20000km.
  3. He will be riding it solo all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Shikhar View Post
Hello Warking,

Welcome to Team bhp.

If you ask me; a pre owned Ninja 650 at a budget of 6L is definitely worth to buy. Since the budget is good; there is a need to hunt a good one in pre owned market and you can get one with very less odo. Even you can check with Kawasaki showroom for exchanged bikes if any. Same case goes with Triumph bonneville.

Sure it might take some time; but it will be a great deal and a step up ( proper large capacity bike) from single to multi cylinder group.

My 2 cents.

Cheers
As of now, BMW is out of the selection, and Kawasaki is the preferred brand. He is looking towards a new bike for a more hassle-free experience and is more inclining towards Ninja 300. However, the final choice will be after the test ride, which might be done today, depending on his schedule and work in the office.
i tried looking for a pre-owned 650, and most of the 650's I could find online were high run and with a high cost Considering the selling price and the kms on the odo, it would be a no-brainer to go for a new one if the budget can be extended.
If anyone has any contact of someone who is looking to sell their 650 or deals in those bike, their contact would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRed View Post
Stay away from TVS RR 310.
The bike as a whole is a fantastic beast but the ASS is pathetic.
Your bike will be treated like the regular RTR series and there are multiple horror stories of RR 310 service experience.
TVS is out of the list the moment its name came up.
Warking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 08:03   #15
BHPian

Well, the Ninja 400 with a bit more power makes mote sense at his budget. Plus unlike the 300, it's sold outside India as well. So availability of spares/aftermarket parts if need be would be better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks