Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 19:10   #1
BHPian

Dilemma about giving my Ather 450X for service, thanks to service horror stories

We purchased Ather 450X in December 2021 and it has been a year. As I mainly use my 200NS and given that my wife barely takes the scooter out, we have only clocked some 2.5k kms till now. I have heard horror stories about Ather's service. About they take days and sometimes weeks to finish service. I also heard that one has to wait for hours to give vehicle for service if your planetary alignment is bad.

Ather says that regular service is needed. But, there are not many mechanical parts that need maintenance in an EV scooter. Do I really have to give it for service at their service center and try my luck or is it better if I just get normal service at nearby garage?

Last edited by ambandla : 7th December 2022 at 19:35.
ambandla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 19:44   #2
BHPian

re: Dilemma about giving my Ather 450X for service, thanks to service horror stories

I dont think a normal garage would be able to help. The battery especially is a complex piece. Only Ather will be able to diagnose issues what with lot of software involved and also updates. Please get a appointment and get it serviced at Ather. It will also help in case of any warranty claims you might have.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 7th December 2022 at 19:45.
PreludeSH is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 08:50   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dilemma about giving my Ather 450X for service, thanks to service horror stories

I wouldn't even let the warranty lapse on my Maruti or Toyota, and here you are thinking of risking it on a new technology from a new manufacturer. Don't do it, buddy. Just get your Ather serviced as per the schedule and preserve your warranty. Also take that extended warranty coverage, if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambandla View Post
About they take days and sometimes weeks to finish service. I also heard that one has to wait for hours to give vehicle for service if your planetary alignment is bad.
I think the long delays might only be for complex repairs or body shop work. A scheduled service with no real complaints won't take unduly long. And if there is some pain, grin and bear it as it's anyway just once a year.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 10:19   #4
BHPian

Re: Dilemma about giving my Ather 450X for service, thanks to service horror stories

Never risk your EV to be serviced in an non authorized setup. No local garage is competent or trained enough to service the EV. Apart from washing your vehicle they wont be able to do much and also this will void your warranty.
aneesh2M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 17:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you could risk 1.5+ lakhs in buying their EV then you shouldn't worry about their service
The components are expensive and other folks lack any know how to service the same.

Remember that EVs are even more of a product as a service with a software update not just carrying performance improvements but also fixing critical safety issues.

Please stick to your service schedule, get max warranty and not let it lapse even if it doesn't make sense to you. Also check with them about the status of your warranty at present.

Last edited by shancz : 8th December 2022 at 17:50. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:47   #6
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggetion. I have booked service for my 450X.

Update on Warranty extension:

The current offer of Re.1 is only for those who purchase a new Ather, is part of the scooter purchase process. They are not giving any warranty extension offer (even at 6999) and they said they will let me know when they open warranty extension for existing customers.
ambandla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Service is indeed bad. You are stuck with Ather for software updates, battery & motor issues, plastic panels and some other bespoke parts. Where you can do work outside is for Brakes, Belts, Wheel Bearings and Tyres.

Most Viewed