Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 17:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
70-75 kmph is a good speed for the 350CI engine. You get good fuel efficiency, the engine is not being stressed and won't overheat.
If you do 80 and above for long durations, there are chances or partial seizure on a bike that is run a lot.
Maybe this was the issue last time with me. Not being a tbhp member then, is my excuse . I used to accompany my friends in my std, and their avengers/thunderbirds could do 85-90 easily and keeping up with them might have stressed and caused the seizure. The manual mentioned 100 kph max speed so I used that info (though I have done 115 kmph in speedo for speed test once for a few seconds, might have been 110 kph in real).

Now that I know it better, I am more careful. Hope our second innings is much better this time !!
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 15:07   #47
BHPian

Got 3.25*19 MRF RIB+ in the front and 3.5*19 MRF Nylogrip. Corners are much better with new rubbers. With the bike's new shoes I got myself a pair of Orazo's (not used to shifting with thick boots, so will take some time to adjust). Tomorrow will do a 300 km roundtrip. Preparing for going to chikkamagalur/mangalore ride in the month end if all goes well.

Speedometer still gets stuck at 60 kph even if I am riding faster, however will do a proper test tomorrow. Maybe I will convert this thread as my "Motorcycle Diaries" now for the std 350
Old 19th March 2023, 21:45   #48
BHPian

Still oil leak from gearbox is seen. Have to get it checked by some other garage now.

Did a NH44 400 km round trip as another trial run. This time it was a bit disappointing, nevertheless I enjoyed my ride. I have to tinker with the carb setting as the bike doesn't pick up very well after 65 kmph. I have to open throttle fully to reach 80+ kph and around 85% to reach 75 kph which is not at all satisfactory in highways (all GPS readings).

Was shocked to see the GPS vs speedometer difference (around 8-10 kph difference with speedo over estimating the speed). Needs speedo replacement, as the needle stops at 60 kph sharp.

Following were the observations (all speeds are w.r.t GPS readings):
1. Pickup till 55 kph is decent. Bike wants to settle at 65 kph struggles to retain 75 kph. Needs special attention to accelerator at 80kph+ speeds.
2. Tried to maintain 71-73 kph, but needs constant inputs from accelerator to be there. In over-bridges etc speed falls down to 63-66 kph (is the carb setting lean? I have to check it out)
3. Seems inadequate for highway in the long run, mostly will use it as a city bike till I decide on the KTM 390 adv vs Interceptor 650 dilemma.
4. Good for rides till 300-350 kms as beyond that it eats away at my patience, bike should be a bit more capable than the rider otherwise the joy is lost on highway rides.

Didn't have any other niggles, for which I am glad. Will tinker with the carb, lube chains, fix the speedo, and get the gearbox oil leakage looked at. Mostly the oil to grease ratio might be off causing this leakage. If things dont improve on my next ride. I will start scouting for a tourer in my garage and this will become my city bike.

My gears:
1. Helmet LS2 ff350 - needs upgrade/replacement now (missing the new helmet smell and fit)
2. DSG Nero, Rynox advento, Rynox Storm evo 3 gloves, Orazo boots - all good/new but might need a new jacket once I get my tourer bike.
3. Bobo mobile holder - quite sturdy and good grip, had to get foam tape outside as my handlebar is a bit too thin for the accompanying rubber tape for a tight grip.

Started at 6 am sharp and ended at around 2.15 pm for a 400km to and fro run. Rode with base layer for legs and it was much better experience. Orazo boots are also decent, however since its a bit thick have to articulate the feet a bit more to shift gears. DSG nero, crmaster saddles are the old workhorses from my earlier days and going good.

So many superbikes were overtaking, there must be a few BHPians amongst them. Helmet was letting in too much noise in from the engine thump. Have to get a new helmet if I want to be able to hear bird songs.

Somewhere between bagepalli & penukonda:
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230319_074714612.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230319_074800280_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230319_082328733_hdr.jpg

Cube stop during return, as usual ordered thumsup, tea and coffee:
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230319_103753916_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230319_104046636.jpg
masterChief007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 18:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Could you tell me what was done in regards to the engine overhaul?
Is there any unusual noises coming from the engine when you start opening the throttle for higher speeds or climbing an incline?
Is the engine overheating or pinging/knocking?
Does the engine fire up easily without any misfiring or kickbacks?

My thoughts are the carb needs to be tuned if everything else is fine. If the engine has been worked, I am not sure what was done, it is better to run it in for at least 1k kms before doing higher speeds.
The problem with opening an engine on CI Bullet is that, it is hard to get the previous characteristics of the engine after it has been done.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 19:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me what was done in regards to the engine overhaul?
Is there any unusual noises coming from the engine when you start opening the throttle for higher speeds or climbing an incline?
Is the engine overheating or pinging/knocking?
Does the engine fire up easily without any misfiring or kickbacks?
Engine work:
They checked the valve seating and replaced the engine packing (gaskets etc). They were going to do the lathe work but finally didnt as it was deemed not necessary. Engine sound was quite clean after the overhaul.

Regarding the engine noise and knocking by opening throttle/incline - i will test a bit more and update the thread (didn't hear so as by this time I already wear helmet so didn't clearly observe)

Engine fires up fine however, it needs a very gentle accelerator in the beginning, there is a mild kickback if the bike doesn't start on the kick and one keeps the kickstarter down but only sometimes this is observed.

Coming few days I will test these out. From the time it was handed over it has already done 800 kms.
Old 20th March 2023, 19:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
The work is almost complete, engine sound is sweet now, only seeming issue might be the point setting as while starting I felt it was back-kicking but not sure.
Quote:
1. Pickup till 55 kph is decent. Bike wants to settle at 65 kph struggles to retain 75 kph. Needs special attention to accelerator at 80kph+ speeds.
2. Tried to maintain 71-73 kph, but needs constant inputs from accelerator to be there. In over-bridges etc speed falls down to 63-66 kph (is the carb setting lean? I have to check it out)
Chances are that the timing is set "advanced".
jeeva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 21:40   #52
BHPian

Hi @tharian and @jeeva

I did go down and took a few notes. First of all I have recorded the engine sounds, do you see any knocking/pinging? I couldn't figure out (only some tappet tik tik is there).
engine.zip

CB point gap is more than .35 and around .40. Spark plug looks on a rich setting (didnt tinker with the carb yet).

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230320_203132526.jpg

Now I opened up the points cover and brought it to TDC (using the ammeter method). Didn't use the piston tracking through the screw driver and wheel roation. At TDC the points are open (using ammeter 0 flick point). Do you see that the ignition is advanced?
Shouldn't the points be near the closed to open edge marked at the image? The spark might have already been done by now, instead of sparking at TDC.
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230320_202508367.jpg

I will use the screwdriver TDC detection once I have enough time. Throw me your inputs.

On kick starting I don't get the kickback (on a warm engine, without throttle, with slight throttle there sometimes is mild kick back). Throttle response is also good (rpm climbs are decent).
masterChief007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 09:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi @tharian and @jeeva

I did go down and took a few notes. First of all I have recorded the engine sounds, do you see any knocking/pinging? I couldn't figure out (only some tappet tik tik is there).

CB point gap is more than .35 and around .40. Spark plug looks on a rich setting (didnt tinker with the carb yet).

Now I opened up the points cover and brought it to TDC (using the ammeter method). Didn't use the piston tracking through the screw driver and wheel roation. At TDC the points are open (using ammeter 0 flick point). Do you see that the ignition is advanced?
Shouldn't the points be near the closed to open edge marked at the image? The spark might have already been done by now, instead of sparking at TDC.

I will use the screwdriver TDC detection once I have enough time. Throw me your inputs.

On kick starting I don't get the kickback (on a warm engine, without throttle, with slight throttle there sometimes is mild kick back). Throttle response is also good (rpm climbs are decent).
Engine knocking can be heard when the engine is under load, especially when the engine has run a bit. In neutral, it is hard to find that out.
The spark plug looks okay to me. Not too sooty.
I am not good at diagnosing the points setting, I messed it up once on my 500. But what I do know is that if the points setting is not perfect, when you start the engine, it will either keep missing or kicking back. It should ideally not kick back at all even after the engine is firing and you haven't left the kicker.
You may also want to check the main jet size in the carb. If I remember right, the stock size was 110.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 13:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It should ideally not kick back at all even after the engine is firing and you haven't left the kicker.
You may also want to check the main jet size in the carb. If I remember right, the stock size was 110.
The carb is new, so I don't think jetting will be an issue within 800 kms (unless tank rust is clogging things up). Will explore the point settings tonight and see if I can get those mild kick backs go away. Tomorrow morning I will take it for jogging and see the throttle response. Also will retune the carb tomorrow. Will visit JC road anyways in this week and get new speedo for the bike. On the coming weekend I will do an airport speed test run (and check the response at 70-80kph). After that will visit Santosh's garage and get an overall checkup (points and carb settings) done before my chikmangalur ride (thanks to bhpians ron & tharian for the contact) sometime next week. In case I have messed up something with my points and carb settings will get them rectified.

It looks like I am giving my weekly report in office well keeping the bullet is a job in itself !!
Old 24th March 2023, 18:58   #55
BHPian

Visited Santosh's garage, nice chap and is a sincere fellow from what I interacted. He was more concerned as who referred him and that why I am coming from so far away

Issues fixed:
1. CB point was advanced as myself and many bhpian here also suggested - fixed
2. Carb setting corrected - I had played around and messed it. He also opened up the aux screw too.
3. Changed speedo (the needle stuck issue) and the rear mirrors (got the himalayan mirrors, I will update the performance after the next ride)
4. Got the chain lubed.

Btw as a true bhpian would do, I wanted to record my 27,000 odo reading, when I reached nearby the garage, I had was still 26950 on it. So decided to ride till the airport and then be back at the garage making it rounded off properly.

I completed 1000 k after the restoration. Lets see how the ride to Kemmangundi goes next week !

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230324_111459529.jpg

Last edited by masterChief007 : 24th March 2023 at 18:59.
Old 11th April 2023, 20:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

That '84 soured my opinion of Enfield bikes so badly that even today there's nothing RE can do (or anyone here [including current owners] can demonstrate) to change my mind.

Cheers
Having ridden a '85 extensively and passionately for more than a decade, I have ditto sentiments.

It offered only one thing consistently and that was to work upon it every 20 days or so for any small or big niggle. Peers used to envy while I'd be at sea how to convince them otherwise
Fuldagap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 11:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Good for rides till 300-350 kms as beyond that it eats away at my patience, bike should be a bit more capable than the rider otherwise the joy is lost on highway rides.
One has to bear in mind that these were designed more than 70 years ago with the English roads and riding conditions of that time primarily in view.

Personally Inl was never able to bear with the 350's low power output and huge 3-4 gear ratio gap; The "Bullet mystique" and magical thump can only take it so far in the modern era. Loads of low-grade desi replacement parts and untrained jugaad technicians who often do more damage than good don't help matters one bit.

All that said: IF (and that's a big "if") the example in question and its respective components were manufactured right in the first place and/or expertly rebuilt/re-fitted, a well-tuned CI 350 can hum rather pleasingly along a multi-lane at 80kmph even with pillion, with no apparent strain. I know because I've been that pillion.

England is still full of country 2-lanes and was never known for particularly mountainous terrain, and for pleasure-plodding some may still fine them satisfying under country two-lane or town conditions, most others will feel the need for more power (and brakes).

I always asked myself why I'd want to go that slow and move/ maneuver that much mass and (indeed) not hear the birds, and for all that STILL get that low of FE in town or anywhere. Just a terrible combination of negatives.

As for positives, well, it all came back to that intoxicating thump for the religious... Somewhat understandable, but there are (/were) other good-sounding bikes, and fewer than ever are now willing to give up every other pleasure for that.

The CI500 can be wonderful, much more sprightly, but can't be reliably pushed hard on account of inadequate oiling. 535 got the better oiling but a thin cylinder wall that cast in iron seems to get hot and wear quickly (and not be re-bore-able).

Also have to bear in mind that RE only became a proper modern company within the last dozen-odd years or less.

Personally I feel the Bullet came into its finest form with the 500 Machismo, which is why I own one and hope to keep it "forever". You've got the good oiling, the power, the alloy cylinder, the extra cog they always needed. And like the Electra, no points. With all that, it still seems to have character and a bit of the old British "vibe" (even if literally), which the UCE's seemed to lose the spirit of (while literally vibing even more on account of their lighter crankshafts). AVL was a little clattery, that was always the complaint - but anyway has to be accepted as the nature of the otherwise improved beast, which can be somewhat minimized if necessary.

If I couldn't have this I'd maybe think about a modded 50th Anniversary 350ci 5-speed... Would need to get it up to 22+ hp for it to be tolerable, but they are a nice, smooth, unclattery, and great-looking ride that I believe could be very satisfying to own/ run.

I realize you are looking in other directions for touring, and that is probably wise, but still...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 12th April 2023 at 11:48.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 12:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I realize you are looking in other directions for touring, and that is probably wise, but still...

-Eric
Hi Eric, yes for touring I don't want to waste half a day wrenching at the middle of the road, but within the city (it is extremely fun, as I can manage to overtake most bikes around till 60 kmph, if i so wish by great shifting and maneuvering, as i never felt it too heavy/cumbersome to manage). When I don't have much of distance to cover (say ~300-400km) if the bike can hold 75+ without fuss I am satisfied, this i have to test again in my next ride. I know the bike has already siezed once and so all that could have been is now lost, even then for now I am keeping it. Once I change residence where there can be only 1 bike parking space maybe I will have to take a call to let this one go. This is definitely not a bike which I will risk taking to ladakh or north east. This one is a looker though, and I catch myself even now admiring it shining under the street lights or the sunlight at dawn on the highway.
Old 12th April 2023, 13:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

+1 to Eric. Been riding them RE CI's since past many years I realized the CI Bullet 350 when tuned well can hold 70-80 KMPH easily on the highways but the stock piston oil pump falls short of pumping oil for circulation. These motorcycles were built during an era when 60 KMPH was considered FAST. Occasional bursts of 80 KMPH will do no harm but pinning the throttle at that speed for long durations will affect the engine in the long run. In my experience the heavy crank STD CI 350's (G2, B1 and post 2000's) have a better top end than lighter crank STD CI. Compare this to my Tbird500 which stays calm and composed at 90 KMPH all day long. As Eric rightly mentioned, the AVL 500 is the best of both worlds, in terms of old school charm and modern reliability. Back in the day, loved touring on my AVL 350 5 speed Tbird.

When I am on the highway with my CI 350's I try and stay at around 70 KMPH as rightly mentioned by tharian. Them heavy crank CI's tend to muffle the vibes at those speeds much better than my light crank CI and CI's in general run well during winters (maybe because it was built for the cooler climate of Britain, LOL). It is just simple physics. I twist the throttle beyond 70 KMPH only if I have to overtake heavy vehicles, them CI's climb up to 90KMPH effortlessly but as soon as the overtaking is done I am back to 70'ish KMPH. I have touched higher speeds during those occasional bursts but won't mention them here

Last edited by navin_v8 : 12th April 2023 at 13:37.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 18:34   #60
BHPian

Had a great day of riding of around 526 km (I had planned to do 600 km but google short routed me and so failed on that regards ). Path taken was BLR-Horseley hills-Tirupati/Chandragiri-Chittoor-BLR.

Bike performed much better than last time, as many here suggested that the timing was indeed advanced. I got 70+ kph without much issues (yes it takes a bit of time to hit 70+ speeds, but it can hold if I want it to). It even held 80-85 kmph (GPS speeds) for some time in the tirupati-chittoor stretch. I am in the process of collating and editing the photos, will add the travelogue here itself (I don't think it will be fair to post a day ride as a seperate travelogue), but my format will be of a travelogue

Thanks to ronnie & tharian for suggesting Santosh's garage for fine tuning, that did the trick. My original restoration was done by AOM and they have done a wonderful job (though needed a bit of fixing of the point setting later by santosh), but quite satisfied by zoheb and his team. There aren't many issues left which I used to see pre-restoration. Specially battery issues are all gone after the alternator coil changes. And this after around 1700 kms post the restoration (touch wood and metal !!).

So till I have real estate, the bike will be with me for now. Have to get into the FC renewal business now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks