Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa 6G with Smart Key launched at Rs. 80,537

Honda 2 Wheelers has launched a new variant of the Activa 6G, which comes equipped with the Honda Smart Key. It is priced at Rs. 80,537 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Honda Activa 6G with Smart Key launched at Rs. 80,537-hondaactiva6grightfrontthreequarter0.jpg

The Activa Smart Key offers the convenience of keyless operation. It enables the rider to lock or unlock the handlebar, access the under-seat storage or open the fuel lid without the need for a physical key.

Just like in a car equipped with keyless entry, the rider is only required to carry the key in his / her pocket. The Smart Key can also be used to locate the scooter in a parking lot and comes with an anti-theft function.

The Activa 6G Smart Key is powered by the same 109.51cc, single-cylinder engine as the standard version. It is equipped with a 'silent start system' and 'side stand with engine inhibitor'.

The 2023 Activa carries forward the same suspension and brake setup. It gets telescopic fork suspension at the front with a 3-step adjustable rear shock absorber and a combined braking system.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd January 2023 at 14:38.
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa 6G with Smart Key launched at Rs. 80,537

Sigh, all this noise for just a key?
And here I was hoping for maybe a surprise in the form of Hybrid tech(H-Smart) from Honda.
JShah is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 17:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShah View Post
And here I was hoping for maybe a surprise in the form of Hybrid tech(H-Smart) from Honda.
They also have some kind of an OBD II diagnostics unit which gives real time emission status with alarm/indication for servicing - to comply with some new standards which will be kicking in 2023 : I read this online on some news site earlier today.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2023 at 21:53. Reason: Typos
null is online now   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2023, 20:13   #4
BHPian

Huge miss i feel from Honda side. Just check the videos on the key fob. Needlessly complicated and of no practical use in my opinion. The simple key is easier to use,won't drain battery or need battery change in this case. Its not like other bike/car key fobs where one goes near the scooter and it automatically becomes unlocked and we just have to push start.
Senotrius is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 21:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

I enquired with local Honda dealer and he mentioend couple of things - New model will have OBD2 port to comply with new BS6 norm. Other thing which was somewhat baffling for me - it won't have kick start option. So in case of battery drain (keyfob or the main battery) it'd be a lot of inconvenience to get help. He said that some bikes are without kick start but they can be started by pushing /engaging gears but Activa won't be able to have this option. This was a bummer and I'm re thinking whether to buy this model or stick to tried and tested models.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 23rd January 2023 at 21:37.
Aviator_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 21:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no doubt that the addition of gizmos will attract our newer generation to the new Activa. However, the opening of the fuel lid using the keyless technology is feature that adds to practicality. While topping up the fuel tank, the rider does not have to struggle with his key to get the lid opened.

The front twin telescopic forks are also very desirable to augment the front wheel's road traction. In fact, the first ever scooter to offer this feature was the Royal Enfield Fantabulus, way back in 1962, but this scooter flopped.

And though the price as stated is 80 K plus, the on road price is exceeding Rs 1 L in most locations with the GST, one time road tax and the multiple year insurance premiums in total adding lots of money to be paid by the buyer.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd January 2023 at 21:34.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 01:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
And though the price as stated is 80 K plus, the on road price is exceeding Rs 1 L in most locations with the GST, one time road tax and the multiple year insurance premiums in total adding lots of money to be paid by the buyer.
Hello sir, typically the OTR can be calculated by adding 15% of exshowroom price. So for Rs 80,537 the OTR should be Rs 92617, max 93000 that's all. Besides it's for the 125 cc scooter segment that crosses 1L mark. For all 110 cc scooters its below 1L
aargee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 02:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hello sir, typically the OTR can be calculated by adding 15% of exshowroom price. So for Rs 80,537 the OTR should be Rs 92617, max 93000 that's all. Besides it's for the 125 cc scooter segment that crosses 1L mark. For all 110 cc scooters its below 1L
Honda SA mentioned that OTR will touch 1 Lac in Karnataka which will be 4-5k more than the existing model.

Also attaching the latest brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E-Brochure_Activa_H-Smart.pdf (899.8 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 24th January 2023 at 02:38.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 03:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why mess with a mechanical formula that work flawlessly? The ICE engine mated to the CVT works just fine. Throwing in complicated (For a scooter) Hybrid tech will inflate the price so high that nobody will buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Huge miss i feel from Honda side.
Battery drain should be the least of your worries. A lithium battery isn't going to drain overnight. Besides; they all have fail safe mechanisms wherein if the battery is weak, you can always place the key fob close to a specific location on the scooter and get going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
This was a bummer and I'm re thinking whether to buy this model or stick to tried and tested models.
Kick starts have been disappearing on scooters and motorcycles for quite some time. Besides; there isn't a more "tried and tested" scooter than a Honda Activa.

The presence of an immobilizer alone is a huge win as these are one of the most stolen scooters on the market.

The highlight maybe just a key fob. However; the practicality on offer is so good that you'd not want to bother with sticking in a key anymore. Buyers are going to love this.
The silent start system is superb. The engine just turns over. No screeching starter noise.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th January 2023 at 03:08.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 03:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Kick starts have been disappearing on scooters and motorcycles for quite some time. Besides; there isn't a more "tried and tested" scooter than a Honda Activa.

The presence of an immobilizer alone is a huge win as these are one of the most stolen scooters on the market.
Not doubting the reliability but still low battery scenario is a concern. It is not uncommon to see people kick starting an activa (few years older) because self start cannot take the load. For gearless scooter, it's not possible to roll and start unlike a geared bike. If I'm not wrong, TVS Jupiter had to bring back kick start in one of their models due to public demand and feedback.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 03:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Not doubting the reliability but still low battery scenario is a concern.
Like I said, batteries do not just die. There are plenty of tell tale signs that you can action a battery charge or a change. Your scooter is anyway going to go in for routine service or maintenance. That is when they tell you of a failing or weak battery.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 05:58   #12

I have been using a 2010 Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSI - it did not have kick start.
Recently in the last year, there were couple of incidents with rapid battery drain, but they were "rider mistakes" (e.g. kids leaving turn indicators on)

The point is - I never felt the lack of kick start lever in my avenger.
I am currently looking for an Activa and will definitely consider this model.
Old 24th January 2023, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is the new unit with remote
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 12:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I was watching a podcast by Shumi (MotorInc) where he rightly said that the Activa is no longer a product for Honda to change. It belongs to the public. It is just so succesful as it is that Honda will not risk changing it, even if change is for the better.

Other better products from competitors as well as Honda are unable to dethrone the Activa.
anshumandun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 17:34   #15
BHPian

@Honda, maybe try rectifying the eye surgery-inducing LED headlamp issue first?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks