Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 19:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!

IINM, one of the victims is a BHPian (soumobakshi). If that’s indeed him, would like to hear more after he recovers from the injury. Hope he’s doing well.

Ola must do everything they can do prevent further incidents like these. Can recall similar instances from Mahindra when a specific batch of their alloys on the XUV500 began breaking when the car drove over potholes. Bad metallurgy of the part is a suspect.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 19:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ola Electric official statement on the recent incident.

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-20230125_195238.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 21:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Now this is irritating- first response from the company is complete denial and accusing the victim - the lady who is in the hospital!

How much of speed can all these scooters carry? If so many scooters are suffering from high speed impacts- wasn't the scooter designed to safely do the speeds it can?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 21:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Recently there are couple of incidents of Ola's front suspension breaking
https://twitter.com/SamkitP21/status...34354437545985
Seems like the company lawyers are doing their job in the background while putting the blame on the rider upfront. The scooter owner Samkit has deleted the tweet and I'm guessing that would have been a mandatory requirement for Ola's support to them.
ninjatalli is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 22:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2410271
This is bullshit, what they are saying is their scooter wasn't build for these kinds of speeds and impacts, and blame the rider.

Lets say even there are defects on these 150000 vehicles OLA sold, if we follow the Six Sigma formula this is way above the 3.4 defects per million units. Hence we can assume all OLA scooters may break if they are hit by such impact.

If this happened in US then OLA would have already been hit by multiple class action lawsuits, instead they are just threatening their customers.
Black_Star is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 22:22   #21
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

https://m.timesofindia.com/auto/news...w/97269753.cms

I have been appalled by the quality of Ola E Scooter, but now this going out of hand. Suspension breaking while riding the bike is scarry and life threatening to the rider and the other commuters on road.

I think it's time for Ola to stop their production completely and go back to R & D, work on quality and do rigorous testing then re launch the product. Not sure how the Export units to Europe will fare.

Their statement on this incident is laughable.

On a daily basis thousands of Two wheelers face front impact,Just today, I myself witnessed two separate incidents involving bikes,no suspension broke.

This is not an isolated incident, just go through the conversation in the watsapp group (I'm part of it).
Attached Thumbnails
OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20230125_222455.jpg  

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img20230125wa0009.jpg  

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20230125_223413.jpg  

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20230125_224253.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2023 at 04:48. Reason: Typo
tiagoatrix is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 22:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who has watched Ola's troubling moves for a long time, it saddens me that I am not surprised to read these updates. I wish Samkit Parmar's wife a speedy recovery.

Will Ola care to explain what "necessary support" they have extended to the family of Samkit Parmar? To me, it reads like lawyer speak for we threatened him with lawsuits if he didnt remove the original tweet and sign a non-disclosure agreement that prohibits him, and his family, from discussing this in public.

I continue to strongly advise potential buyers to not rush into a purchase of an Ola product, as it may not be as well engineered and tested, as say the Ather or TVS electric scooters.

In the coming days, be prepared for Ola's marketing division to attempt to divert attention from the topic, through gimmicky press releases.

If only Ola's research and development division, worked as hard as their public relations division, their scooters, and by extension, their 150,000 customers, would be a lot safer, than what they actually are
neil.jericho is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 23:19   #23
BHPian

Not only did Samkit delete his old tweet, he added a new tweet thanking Ola for their support and helping his wife. A complete U-Turn from his original post!
Attached Thumbnails
OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-screenshot_2023012523155932_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg  

Last edited by kesh4munni : 25th January 2023 at 23:23. Reason: Reworded the sentence
kesh4munni is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 23:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
A complete U-Turn from his original post!
Just Ola doing Ola things

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-reatens-sue-customer-who-twee.png

Last edited by Black_Star : 25th January 2023 at 23:30.
Black_Star is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 23:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Recently there are couple of incidents of Ola's front suspension breaking.

https://twitter.com/soumobakshi/stat...79151259459587
Attachment 2409774

Quote:
Looks like both scooters are from different batch, date of manufacturing ~4 months apart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
IINM, If that’s indeed him, would like to hear more after he recovers from the injury. Hope he’s doing well.
Unfortunately its me the impacted user.

Well, I was one of the very few who believed in Bhavesh's Pitch and trusted the Product even before it was launched. Did the booking on the first day and completed all formalities once the windows opened up gradually till the final payment. Everything was completed on the very first day. I was excited to own this product and lead the eV revolution. Little did I know what's in store for me a few months later

I met with this accident on 10th of November while i was ferrying my daughter back from school and was almost near my Home in Bangalore. I normally avoid main roads to avoid traffic and i was riding through a road which you can call as by lanes, not much of traffic and normally used by localities only. But then its a proper Tar road with of course few pot holes here and there (Well its Bangalore!)
I was at about 35kmph speed (This was validated by Ola Telemetry Team) and suddenly I felt a bit of Off Balance and then the front wheel buckled in and I lost complete control of the scooter. Due to the sudden nature of the incident, my upper body hit the handlebar area and my daughter crashed onto me from behind. As a ritual i ensure to wear a proper Helmet while riding a 2 wheeler and it proved its mettle even though both of us were thrown on the road. Luckily for my daughter, my back acted as a collision damper and she was by god's grace without any impact other than the mental trauma. I felt like something heavy crashed on my chest and took a few seconds to start breathing normally, but the blunt force trauma was just too much to recover from. I sat on the road and dialed my wife asking her to come with the car and pick us up, without divulging any further details.

Called the Ola Customer Care and explained the situation and got the vehicle scheduled for a pickup from the accident spot. Even though there were few hiccups created by Ola CC Team, once i reached out to the Ola Bangalore Group, the news reached the Ola Service Head and Sr. Management. I would give it to Ola on the way they responded to the situation thereafter and ensuring that the vehicle was fixed and delivered back to me the very next day (Actually within 24 hours of the incident taking place). The Service Manager made a courtesy visit along with the vehicle. Full Marks to the team who handled the post accident phase till delivering the vehicle back to me.

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20221110_173125.jpg

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20221110_173839.jpg

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20221110_173851.jpg

My ask to the Ola Team was to find out what caused the incident and what were they going to do about it in order to ensure that there are no such incidents in future. I decided to give them the time for doing a proper research and get back. I was out of Bangalore for a month so the vehicle remained parked without any usage.

Back to January 2023, tried reaching out to the Ola Service Manager to enquire about their findings (If Any); but then I found out that he has left Ola for good and even after almost 2 months I didn't hear anything from Team Ola and that's when the other incident involving the lady came into light. I decided to come into Social Media in order to bring this issue into light and hopefully some concrete and corrective measures leading to a possible product recall for all 1L plus Ola S1 users.

See the area marked in Green, well that was an addition later from the original design which came with the scooter to me in Jan'22

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-whatsapp-image-20230125-10.40.18-pm.jpeg

Now, I am told that the extra beefed up joint support is the new design for the front fork (Pointed by Green Arrow)

OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-whatsapp-image-20230125-4.11.45-pm.jpeg

Looking at the evolution of the Front Fork, if there were no issues why did they change the design and when they did the change, why are they not going in for a mass recall to rectify the issue for all of us who trusted in the product ?

Last edited by soumobakshi : 26th January 2023 at 00:12.
soumobakshi is offline   (144) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 23:55   #26
BHPian

(Reposting)

I have been appalled by the quality of Ola E Scooter, but now this going out of hand. Suspension breaking while riding the bike is scarry and life threatening to the rider and the other commuters on road.

I think it's time for Ola to stop their production completely and go back to R & D, work on quality and do rigorous testing then re launch the product. Not sure how the Export units to Europe will fare.

Their statement on this incident is laughable.

On a daily basis thousands of Two wheelers face front impact,Just today, I myself witnessed two separate incidents involving bikes,no suspension broke.

This is not an isolated incident, just go through the conversation in the watsapp group (I'm part of it).
Attached Thumbnails
OLA S1: Front Suspension breakage issue!-img_20230125_224253.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2023 at 04:47. Reason: Typo
tiagoatrix is offline   (12) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th January 2023, 00:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2410271
It's an absolutely neutral statement - just a few harmless, pointless lines thrown together.

Was a high impact collision - not high speed. So high impact could be due to anything. She got hit by something, maybe a coconut from a tree which has got nothing to do with Ola. Anyone who doesn't know the whole story will simply think so high of Ola for helping her family going out of the way! That's PR for you.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 26th January 2023 at 00:04.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 00:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I continue to strongly advise potential buyers to not rush into a purchase of an Ola product, as it may not be as well engineered and tested, as say the Ather or TVS electric scooters
So, can we deduce that Ather/iQube designed in India are much reliable than Amsterdam designed app scooter
aargee is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 01:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Anything designed and engineered in India is better than anything else in the world.
Let's not get into the cost cutting etc. Basic engineering is absolutely way above world standards in India. And why not? Aren't indian engineers the most sought after around the world? Our rigorous courses and intense competition makes us what we are today.

Of course I can see the dilution in today's generations but we still have the vast edge over the rest.

Ctrl C, Ctrl V isn't the answer to every problem.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 26th January 2023 at 01:39.
navpreet318 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 08:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is what happens when a software engineer runs an automobile company and decides to skimp on testing and QC so that he can ship the product faster with the assumption that improvements can be brought in through subsequent sprints. That's applicable only for non critical apps and features in both automobiles and software.

Looking at the never ending issues and information available, you've got think twice before you buy an Ola scooter. A big fool would be the venture capitalists who think that Ola under the leadership of Bhavish is a good place to invest - he's incapable of accepting criticism for his products and instead blames and threatens their customers. Even rotten Skoda dealers can pass off as saints in front of these guys.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2023 at 18:42. Reason: Toned down
Turbohead is offline   (26) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks