Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2023, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review

Prelude:
I had already switched to an electric 2W back in 2021 (Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later) but after some bittersweet experiences had decided to switch to a different brand. I have been following Tork Motors since 2018, and the prebooking for this bike had started way back in 2016. They had actively started promoting the Kratos R from the last year, but since there were no actual deliveries I had never considered the Kratos as an option. They had delivered around 20 bikes in a mega-delivery event in July and I prebooked the bike on 28th July 2022 after confirmation that the next lot will be delivered in 3-4 months.

Booking Experience:
They have a portal dedicated for the booking process, the flow was straightforward and hassle free. While pre-booking there was no option to select the normal variant(discontinued now) or to select any color other than white. I got a call from their team on 12th September and they mentioned that if I pay the entire amount then I will get the bike by Diwali. I did ask them for color options before making the payment as I did not want a gloss white color, finalized the magic black(matte) color and completed the payment on the same day and sent the required documents. Got a call from them after a month to confirm and pay for the comprehensive policy, they mentioned that the bike was ready for delivery and if I want I could pick it up from Pune next week itself, since their HQ is 145kms from my home and the bike's true range is around 120kms I asked for the home delivery.

Delivery Experience:
The bike was delivered to me on 23rd October and it was undoubtedly one of the worst delivery experience I've ever had. The bike was home delivered in a tempo without any ramp, the delivery guys removed the protective packaging and unloaded the bike and upon inspection found that 2 of the indicators were broken and one was slightly cracked and the bike was not even clean. They said that it was the same for all other deliveries, there was a small sheet in it which had 4 phone numbers printed on it, tried calling on all of them but all of them were switched off. The factors that led to the bad experience were a combination of :
  • Damaged indicators.
  • All phone numbers switched off.
  • Not a single piece of documentation apart from the phone number sheet.
  • No quick start/charger installation videos.
  • No helmet provided.

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-front_right.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-rear_right.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-rear_left.jpg

Aftermath:
I tried calling the provided numbers again after Diwali holidays and they did answer the call and asked me to send the photos of damaged indicators over whatsapp. They assured me that the damaged indicators will be replaced FOC in the next service and that they will provide the necessary documentation in their app itself(They added it 1-2 weeks later). I used some super-glue as a temporary fix for the indicators, which were replaced FOC in the first service camp as promised. After the initial hiccup their team has been proactive, I received multiple calls for feedback regarding the bike and suggestions for accessories.

Pricing:
Ex-Showroom : ₹‎2,07,499
FAME II : (-)₹‎60,000
MH State Subsidy : (-)₹‎10,000
RSA & Other Charges : ₹‎4,750
Insurance : ₹‎10,707

Last edited by Venky03 : 14th February 2023 at 21:54.
Venky03 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 14:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review

Tork Kratos R

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221025_175247.jpg

Pros :

• Sharp and modern looks with good road presence
  • Perfectly tuned suspension setup for city rides
  • Indigenous tried and tested powertrain
  • Usable front storage space with a 2.4A USB charging port
  • Linear acceleration with excellent throttle response
  • True range of 120KMs on Eco
  • Stable and grounded at high speeds (90-100 kms/h)
  • Fairly accurate DTE predictions

Cons :

• High beam is non-existent
  • Minor niggles here and there
  • Seat starts to feel uncomfortable after 30-40mins of continuous riding
  • No fast charging yet
  • No ABS
  • No portable charger yet
  • Low ground clearance (165mm)
  • Multiple advertised software features still not available

Exteriors :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221025_175023.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221025_175034.jpg

NOTE : The 2023 refresh has some additional cosmetic changes and charge port location changed.

The design is sharp and geometric and is a head turner for sure, and the color which I opted for is Magic Black. It's a matte finish which looks dark blue when you throw enough light on it from an angle. There are multiple minor panel gaps here and there as seen in photos and the whole body is fibre. Front(90/80-17) and rear(120/80-17) tyres are MRF Nylogrip Zapper FY1 with Advik disc CBS, no ABS for now but the bite is decent. The indicators are very fragile and break even on the slightest unintentional nudge, they've promised new indicators with the flexible design by march end. Mirrors are okay, could've been better. The controls in front right include: mode change & kill switch and the controls in front left include: indicators, headlight & horn(adequately loud).

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230205_162603.jpg

Some comparison shots with Yamaha FZs v3:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1675926968514.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1676182856854.jpg

Powertrain & Ride Quality :

The Kratos R is powered by a 9kW actively cooled axial flux motor pushing out 38nm of torque from the get go(0-40 km/h in 3.5 secs) with a top speed of 105 km/h. There are 3 modes to choose from :
  • Eco : Max Speed - 50 km/h and True Range - 120 kms
  • City : Max Speed - 70 km/h and True Range - 100 kms
  • Sports : Max Speed - 105 km/h and True Range - 70 kms
The throttle response and acceleration curves are different for all of them, personally I've been using the sports mode for most of the time and I easily get a range of around 70 kms in sports mode and after that the bike will force you to use the eco mode when the battery SOC falls below 20%. It gets upside down telescopic suspension in the front and a mono shock absorber at rear which is tuned for city riding conditions and provides excellent ride quality. I did scrape the bottom once on a sharp speed breaker when riding with a pillion. It also has a reverse mode which is very handy in tight spots. The installed battery capacity is 4kWhr(not sure about the usable capacity) and takes around 7.5hrs to fully charge from 0-100 on the provided 750W home charger.

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-screenshot_20230112203326808_com.torkmotors.app.jpg

Slow charge port :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1675925757781.jpg

The bike is connected to internet via 4G and there are no charges for the initial year, after that they'll start charging ₹250 per month to use the connected features. It has a limited warranty of 3 years or 40,000 kms. For now the features available on the app include :
  • HUD mode with live sensor data displayed on smartphone
  • Alerts when battery is 100% charged or when the battery SOC falls below 20%
  • Live GPS tracking
  • Theft/Tow alerts
  • Geofencing

Personally I did not encounter any serious issues due to heating, I did notice a small dip in performance when I was with a pillion in sports mode for extended periods. We'll have to wait for summers for the true test, while the motor is actively cooled, the battery still relies on passive cooling via it's aluminum enclosure. The acceleration curve is tuned in a way that the peak power is delivered only after 40 km/h. There's no signs of regen for now, it is unclear whether it will be coming with a software update, also there's no fast charging on this bike for now but there's a placeholder port. There are talks that they will fit it for around ₹‎3-4k once available which sounds quite disappointing as it was included in the features list, I think they should offer it FOC as it is an integral part of the vehicle. Having said that the build of wall mounted charger is solid, and the cable length is adequate :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230209_164937.jpg

Due to unavailability of fast charging network/portable charger I've not been able to plan any long rides. The ODO stands at 534kms and the most distance that I've covered is 75kms in a single day with 19% charge left when I reached home. Overnight charging is supported as the charger automatically cuts off once battery reaches 100% and there's no trickle charging. There's also a secondary12V battery used for powering the headlights, brake lights, horn and indicators. The internal cable management is impressive as well :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230119_132011.jpg

Pitcrew :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230119_124223.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230119_115628.jpg

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230119_125204.jpg

Their service team is called the Pitcrew, it also consists of a mobile garage which houses all the necessary tools and can even charge the bike in case of emergencies. There have been 2 service camps till now, one on 17th November 2022 which comprised of initial checkup and software updates. Second one was on 19th January 2023 which comprised of BMS update and chain cleaning+lubrication. The experience has been good overall, their team is friendly and have the proper technical knowledge regarding the product. Both the services were FOC, I paid ₹98 for the accessories in second service.(₹50 for front mudflap + ₹48 for front indicator cover)

Issues :

Battery Drain (Fixed) - The battery was draining around 8-10% overnight, which was way too much for just sending data to their servers. This resulted in multiple wasted charge cycles since I use the bike mostly on weekends. They mentioned that the compander remained active even when the bike was idle which was causing the drain, this was fixed after the update in second service. Now the drain is around 2-4% overnight which is much better.

High Beam - For a bike that is capable of doing 100+ speeds the high beam is a crucial part for night rides. The low beam is excellent and gives good close range visibility without blinding others, but the high beam needs some serious improvements.

Display remains on even when key is removed - One of the minor issues:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221029_155611.jpg

Saree guard was making contact with the frame (Fixed) - I noticed this metal on metal sound whenever I was with a pillion, upon close inspection found this :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221219_140321.jpg

The saree guard was bent a bit in transit which caused this issue, was fixed in the second service.

My Verdict :

Tork Kratos R is a fun to ride city bike which packs some serious punch but as with all electric vehicles they'll need to back it up with a robust charging infrastructure in coming years. It has been an absolute joyride after the initial delivery hiccup, the team is easily reachable and is eager to fix the issues and have delivered on their promises till now. They've got most of the basics right and I hope that they iron out the issues and scale up well.

As always, wear proper safety gear and Live To Ride.

Last edited by Venky03 : 14th February 2023 at 23:44.
Venky03 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 21:34   #3
BHPian

Accessories and more :

TPMS :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230205_162554.jpg

Before purchasing this I asked the service rep if Tork had any plans to release a TPMS add-on, he replied that they plan to release a portable tyre inflator and had no idea about TPMS, so I purchased this from eBay. Took around a week to arrive and the setup was hassle-free, not sure if the solar panel actually works, time will tell.

Amazonbasics Cover :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221025_175508.jpg

Bought this from amazon, does not fit the mirrors properly but covers the bike well and protects it from dust and bird droppings.

TW Ceramic+Graphene Inside Job :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20221027_174631.jpg

This is the only plastic+matte surface cleaner and protector that I could find, so far this has been working well. Cleans the surface without leaving any streaks or residue.

Miwings Mobile Holder :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1675925757640.jpg

Purchased this from amazon, can rotate 360° and is completely made up of aluminium.

Last edited by Venky03 : 14th February 2023 at 23:25.
Venky03 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 06:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you may permit me to ask few questions:

What is the purpose of having such a wide spread tank when the power train is right below? Does it act as additional storage, while I'm thinking of extending the power on the battery instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post

Cons :

• No ABS
If there's no ABS, then why did Tork provide dual channel feed to the front disc caliper kit?

Last edited by aargee : 15th February 2023 at 10:49.
aargee is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 12:49   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Does it act as additional storage, while I'm thinking of extending the power on the battery instead!
Yes, it does act as an additional storage:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1676444456561.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If there's no ABS, then why did Tork provide dual channel feed to the front disc caliper kit?
I think it might have something to do with CBS? Quote from Advik:
Quote:
The uniqueness of the combination brake system is that it applies load to the brake pads of both the front and rear brakes simultaneously.
Venky03 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 12:38   #7
BHPian

Just saw the new teaser on their channel, the fast charging port looks very similar to that on Ola S1 Pro scooters.

Name:  tm1.png
Views: 1431
Size:  167.6 KB
(Credits : Tork Motors Youtube)

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-tm2.png
(Credits : EV Gyan Youtube)

Ola S1 Pro Port :

Name:  s1.png
Views: 1437
Size:  596.9 KB
(Credits : AutoX)

If there is a collaboration I think it will be a step in the right direction, hoping for the best.
Venky03 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 14:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-torq.png
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 21:00   #9
BHPian

I've been using the bike mostly for weekend rides, on 4th March while riding towards Navi-Mumbai the motor cut-off mid-ride and the bike was not responding to accelerator inputs. It was not switching to any of the Eco, City or Sports mode and there was no warning before the cut-off; fortunately I was on the left-most lane so it was a tad easier to handle the whole situation. Initially I thought it might be stand sensor or the cut-off button causing the issues, it was peak afternoon on a very hot day so I physically inspected the battery(it was cool to touch) and motor(very warm), called the Tork Motors toll-free and explained the issue to them, they took a while to call-back, meanwhile I tried turning on the bike again and it was able to switch to the ride modes so I started the ride back home after waiting for 30-40mins. I encountered the same issue 2 or 3 times but reached home safely, called them up again to inquire if it was a software issue or a hardware issue, since it was almost late evening and the bike was safely parked I did not push for RSA.
Called them back on Monday to inquire about the same and they mentioned that I'll need to RSA the bike to Pune service center, called the RSA toll-free and arranged for a pickup. They came to pick the bike around 3-4hrs later:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-1679235099957.jpg

They mentioned that it was a temperature sensor issue and that it has been replaced, the bike was delivered back to my home after around 5-6 days. While the issue was rectified in 3 days the unavailability of RSA from their side caused further delays. The entire process : Pickup > Replacement of the sensor > Delivery was FOC and handled professionally but the turn-around-time can definitely be improved.
Venky03 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 11:34   #10
BHPian

1000KMs Update

ODO reached 1000kms yesterday, wanted to share a few updates:

The breakdown -

Had a ride planned on 23rd but the bike refused to start and displayed AUX battery error light:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230523_112253.jpg

Did not have any time to troubleshoot the issue, so decided to take the iQube instead. After coming back from the ride on 3rd June the bike was completely dead, even plugging in the charger did not trigger any response. Called the Tork guys and they promptly arrived within an hour or so to check the bike and concluded that the ECU had conked off and needed to be replaced and suggested to call RSA.

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230603_123955.jpg

The bike was fixed FOC at the Thane service center within 2 days. Have seen several users face similar issues with the ECU and temperature sensor which I faced earlier.

About the fast-charge fiasco:

The bike came in two versions at launch: Kratos and Kratos R. The main difference between them was the Kratos R's fast-charging capability. All of us had purchased the R variant as Tork eventually discontinued the Kratos. The initial batch did not have fast charge ports as Tork had not finalized the port connector, but they assured us that it'll be fixed later. A few weeks ago, they said it would cost ₹5000 to fix the fast-charging port, causing community outrage. They later lowered the fee to ₹942.

Headlight Issue:

After repeated complaints about the poor headlight throw they've assured us that they're working on a fix. Given our unpredictable roads, I'm constrained to maintain speeds of 30-40 km/h in low-light conditions. The bike's biggest issue is its headlight, which poses a problem for me as I usually ride during early mornings or late evenings.

The good:

The bike's standout feature is undoubtedly its powertrain. Once you start riding, it has the ability to make you forget all other issues. You may encounter people who label the Kratos as prone to overheating, a misconception that arose from initial media rides. However, this problem is absent in the final production units. As promised, the axial-flux motor proves to be highly efficient. Even with a pillion, there's minimal range reduction:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-img_20230826_002552_840.jpg

New accessories:

Mandatory LTR sticker:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-pxl_20230827_02473181001.jpg

The winglets complement the bike's design seamlessly:

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-pxl_20230827_03064085401.jpeg

Closing thoughts:

FAME-II reduction will definitely dent the Kratos R sales as it now costs ₹1.9L ex-showroom with subsidy. Even though there are issues, which was expected; the brand is providing proper support which matters the most. If you're considering purchasing the Kratos R, I recommend waiting a bit. Let them address the headlight issue, sort out the reliability issues and expand their fast charging network first before making your decision.
Venky03 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 12:12   #11
BHPian

1 Year Service Update :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-pxl_20230918_111138204.jpg

I had already cleaned and lubed the chain so told them to inspect and skip it if not required.

Service included : Basic oiling and inspection, software update & gear oil change.

Total Service charge : ₹99 (40ML Gear Oil)

For others it is : ₹347 (40ML Gear Oil + Chain Cleaner + Ceramic Chain Lube)

The servicing took around 2hrs since there were other bikes in the queue.
Old 11th November 2023, 20:27   #12
BHPian

Legal Notice Sent To Tork Motors

The Fast Charge Blunder :

The bike was delivered to us with a temporary charging port as they had not yet finalized the connector design and we were assured that it will be fixed in due course. At the two service camps they informed us that the fast charge port will be installed by late March/early April. Then they posted this update on 15th May 2023 :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-trk1.png

Later they posted this update on 21st June 2023 :

Name:  trk2.png
Views: 335
Size:  182.2 KB

After waiting for almost 10 months, I lodged a complaint on the INGRAM portal about the fast charge port and headlight issue, and after 2 months this was the reply from Tork :

Tork Kratos R | Initial Ownership Review-trk.png

Quote:
Kratos R Bike is fast charging enabled bike. The Company provided this feature/function keeping in mind the development of fast chargers/fast charging stations at PAN India level by the Company/various market players in near future. The Customer can do fast charging with the existing Vehicle Inlet (“Charging Port) provided there is availability of fast charger. The fast chargers were not developed earlier. Now, the Company has developed fast chargers the market price of which is approx. Rs. 2.50 lacs. The Company has installed the same at few locations and the Company is planning to expand the fast charger network PAN India. Further, Kratos R bike was expensive because of other features too As per Annexure I. The additional features and technology were as under: Further, considering Government of India Standards (“BIS”) for the standardization of regular and fast chargers for Light EVs in India, the Company is now providing Standard Charging Port along with modified Charger (having charging gun/adapter) which enables the Customer to do regular charging with the modified charger, and also to do fast charging at the points where fast charging facility is available. The Company morally felt to offer the same benefits to its early customers and hence decided to provide standardized charging Connector and Charging Port voluntarily without any liability/mandate, that too free of cost. Migrating to standardized connector required software and hardware changes (including replacement of Telematics and ECU Device) on early Kratos R model. To make these changes, the components availability is a challenge, but the Company is ensuring that it is going at a steady pace. Further, the market price of the Standardized Connector and Charing Port, Software and Hardware changes is approx. Rs. 23,000/- to Rs. 25,000/-. You would appreciate that the Company is providing all these things to its valued customers for FREE OF COST. It was/is at the option of the Customer to get the above changes done on its Vehicle. The Dealer is contacting all the early Customers as per Vehicle sales sequence and is informing about the above-mentioned option. For the Customers who wish to get the said changes done in their Vehicles, Labour Cost of only Rs. 800/- + Taxes is being charged by the Dealer as Service Charges, as the procedure being critical and labour intensive. The Company is already bearing the huge material cost voluntarily as mentioned earlier. The Company is of the opinion that the said labour charges charged by the Dealer is justifiable. As mentioned above, Company is enabling its existing customer to take benefit of fast charging at public location by providing updated Charing Port. The said adapter is provided to connect with new Charging Port installed on Vehicle with the existing home charger. After the charging is done, the adapter/gun etc. can be kept in the Vehicle Utility Box or at Home or any such safe/secured place. Logically, anything that is kept at unsecured/unsafe place may be more likely subject to theft. Further, with respect to the Customers issue regarding headlight beam throw, it is submitted that the Company has passed the tests as required by Certifying Authorities. The Certifying Authorities have their own rules, guidelines and procedures. Unless the OEM passes the Certification, it cannot sell its Vehicle in the market. The Company is committed to adhere to such rules, guidelines and procedures to provide its esteemed customers the best Product which the Company can. Still, the Company takes the suggestion/comments of the Customer in positive way and will try to work on it.
In their response, they've framed it as a gesture of goodwill to provide us with the fast charge port. However, we had already paid the full amount upfront for the Kratos R variant, explicitly advertised with fast charging as a feature.

Around 20 users, including me, sent a legal notice to Tork due to unresolved issues. With no response within the 15-day period, we're now taking the legal route against the brand. The bike is exceptional, surpassing competitors like Revolt and Oben, but the top level decision makers are a let down.

The Portable Charger Blunder :

Initially, all customers from the first batch received a wall mount charger with the old connector design. However, new customers are now provided with a portable charger. When we inquired about exchanging our old wall mount charger for the new portable one, they denied the option. The new 750W portable charger, priced at INR 19,999 is incompatible with the old port, leaving early buyers without any viable options for fast and portable charging.

We simply requested a clear timeline for the installation of the charging port and a one-year extension of the warranty, given that we've been using the bike without the advertised features for the past year. Can't fathom what's going on with Tork, but this attitude from the brand is uncalled for.
Old 15th November 2023, 14:24   #13
BHPian

Re: Legal Notice Sent To Tork Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Can't fathom what's going on with Tork, but this attitude from the brand is uncalled for.
Tork Motors is a headless chicken. Apart from expansion, they, as a business, have no other agenda. A "humble" CEO who handed over keys to their first batch of buyers, now doesn't even care to reply to genuine problems. And once in a blue moon, if he does care to reply, it has to be extremely rude.
Even though the Kratos R has never left me stranded in the middle of the road, the list of small but major issues is definitely a big let down. Especially when the bike costs more than 2L, excluding subsidy. Even a bike costing 1L has better fit and finish with better quality components used.
The turn indicators and brake pads cost more than that of the Duke 390/dominar 400.
It is important to note that the early customers starting from June 2022 to December 2022 were the ones who highlighted major issues to Tork motors which actually made the bike usable. These thugs have conveniently forgotten, now that they have reached many other cities.
See you in court, Tork Motors.
shrey220 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks