Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 16:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Shotgun looks beefy in new spy pics

Having launched the Super Meteor 650, Royal Enfield is looking to expand its 650cc lineup further with a new roadster model, dubbed 'Shotgun 650'.

Royal Enfield Shotgun looks beefy in new spy pics-royalenfieldshotgun650spied1280x640.jpg

New spy images of the Shotgun 650 have now surfaced online, which reveal what appears to be a production-ready test mule of the upcoming bike. It features a circular LED headlamp, a teardrop-shaped fuel tank and mid-mounted footpegs offering a sporty riding position.

The test bike is also equipped with an upside-down fork suspension at the front with conventional dual shock absorbers at the rear. It has dual exhausts and rides on alloy wheels shod with fairly beefy rubber.

The Shotgun 650 is expected to be powered by the same 648cc, parallel twin engine as the Super Meteor 650. This unit puts out 47 BHP and 52.3 Nm and is paired with a 6-speed gearbox.

Source: Gaadiwaadi

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Shotgun looks beefy in new spy pics

Looks like its almost production ready. Hopefully they will launch it soon. Almost all the shortcomings of Int 650 would be rectified by SG650
Turbosailor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:29   #3

The ergonomics on this look perfect, very similar to the classic 350. I was hoping they'd launch it with the meteor last year. The wait is killing me.
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:17   #4

The ergonomics of the super meteor with its legs streched out riding position was not appealing to me.
The shotgun has a more conventional/sporty riding posture. Hopefully, will be able to ride on the pegs over bad roads and keep the bad back from getting worse ��
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk View Post
Hopefully, will be able to ride on the pegs over bad roads and keep the bad back from getting worse ��
You may need to wait for the Scrambler version of the 650 then. It was seen testing on our roads recently. Maybe they will name it Hunter 650 or Scram 650. That would be ideal with slightly more GC and 2x1 exhaust.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:52   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Seems like RE is on fire with their new launches, and every vehicle is also proving to be a good hit. This one has a fresh look, similar to the Hunter which is on steroids.
raptor_diwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Shotgun comes as the fourth launch with their now proven 650 cc engine, after the Interceptor, Continental GT and Super Meteor. RE's new launches usually click and create their own niche for bike aficionados. They are not launching a Bullet 200 cc, 250 cc or 300 cc like many other bike makers who encash on a model name's popularity but dilute its brand equity. RE is sticking to its core business domain of 350 cc and 650 cc powerplants. Eicher is doing very well though with its limited power plant range availability. Their core business is now proven and is going places with new, recent launches featuring varied bodylines, apart from the existing and popular range of its bikes.

Their Classic 350 features at #12 in the best sellers chart, selling 26,134 units last month. It has been their bread and butter since ages. The Hunter 350 is their second best seller selling about 16,000 odd units per month. RE has consistently sold nearly 50,000 to 73,000 units every month during January 2022-January 2023. They have a 5.72 % share of the two wheeler market and are the fifth largest two wheeler manufacturer in India just above Suzuki.

I was pleasantly surprised when a friend from Australia said RE has a showroom in Melbourne and that his son has bought an new Interceptor 650 recently. They are very glad with its performance.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd March 2023 at 16:36.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 16:44   #8

I asked a question a couple of months ago If I should sell my RC 390 and Royal Enfield Bullet for a new touring motorbike and many suggested INT 650 for my budget. Now, I've Super Meteor and Shotgun to consider. I liked Shotgun better for some reason. I mean, it reminds me of my Bullet with KTM RC 390 power. Hopefully, it'll be as powerful or more powerful than INT 650 and as comfortable as my Bullet. Then, it's gonna be great.
Old 2nd March 2023, 17:28   #9
BANNED

This is the combo that works best for Bangalore roads. upright posture puts less stress on the back.

Hopefully the suspension is tuned for a complaint ride.

the Silencers are tucked in and the upswing is lesser than the Interceptor . should make it good for pillion comfort.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 18:12   #10
BHPian

If this can combine the Super Meteor’s finish and fork with the weight, handling and clearance of the twins, it would be a great all-rounder.
Old 2nd March 2023, 23:43   #11
BHPian

Both these motorcycles are beefy, the same state of tune does not really suit a 241 kg vs 213 kg motorcycle. Atleast 5 more hp and 60 NM of torque should have been given
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 17:26   #12
BHPian

I see the rider slightly arching towards front. Not an upright ride posture like classic 350.

An increased GC, upright ride posture and tucked in silencers to navigate our traffic (not a city bike though) will be an interesting combination.

Any idea when it'll be launched. If it has been kaunched with Meteor 650 it would have been too good.
Old 4th March 2023, 11:40   #13
BHPian

The photos look very similar to earlier spy shots. The shotgun 650 or whatever this bike’s going to be called, has been in testing nearly as long as the super meteor.
The fact it wasn’t launched along with the super meteor might be a marketing and sales decision, I feel. Internal competition is what they didn’t want in my opinion. Hoping they release this shotgun this year.
RE also has plans of releasing the Himalayan 450, and I believe that bike will be the at centre of their focus.
kaushalswarup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:58   #14

Dear BHpian's;

I booked a Supermeteor650 Astral Black in Feb 2023 and expected to be i my garage by 5th June 2023. I have moved to 4 wheeler since last 15 years for my office/local commute.

I succumbed to buy SM650 for 2 reasons (Cruiser Love & refinement in J series engines) and also to cover miles on highway tarmac, enjoy weekend rides and face wind blasts, but am bit skeptical now; considering reviews on YT wherein users have complained "longer rides take toll on lower back". My long weekend rides would be limited to max 400 kms.

I weigh around 90Kgs and stand 177 cm's tall.

Understanding the application, Does it make sense to own a bike with comfortable riding triangle as in SM650 or try and move the booking to Shotgun 650, which has more aggressive stance in comparison.

Thanks.
Ford@XL6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 23:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford@XL6 View Post
I succumbed to buy SM650 for 2 reasons (Cruiser Love & refinement in J series engines) and also to cover miles on highway tarmac, enjoy weekend rides and face wind blasts, but am bit skeptical now; considering reviews on YT wherein users have complained "longer rides take toll on lower back". My long weekend rides would be limited to max 400 kms.

I weigh around 90Kgs and stand 177 cm's tall.

Understanding the application, Does it make sense to own a bike with comfortable riding triangle as in SM650 or try and move the booking to Shotgun 650, which has more aggressive stance in comparison.

Thanks.

First off, congratulations on the booking.

Regarding the back pain as mentioned by users, most bikes take a while to used to. Especially with cruisers, and the SM650 specifically, that has a very unique rider-triangle, in the market in and around its price range.
The touring seat has been claimed to be much more comfier over longer distances.
Regular breaks, a strong core, and being relatively flexible and fit should help a lot in managing any discomfort.

I’ve ridden the SM650 on highways, albeit for a short stint, but it’s the best tuned variant of the 650 engine. The combination of the engine, the gearing, the suspension, chassis, and seating position, give a very involved experience that’s unique and enjoyable, atleast in my opinion.

Given the spy shots of the SG650, I highly doubt you can call that an aggressive stance, even in comparison. It’s similar to the classic in seating position.

The SG650 may see a release by RM/EICMA this year, or may come in early next year.
I assume the focus of RE this year is on the new Himalayan 450.

If you can wait, do so. But if you want a bike to enjoy now, I don’t think you can go wrong with the SM650
kaushalswarup is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed