Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:18   #16

Re: Looking for a bigger, companion motorcycle to my Honda Hornet 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReventonLover View Post
1. If you are up for it, why don't you give the Super Meteor a try. Yes, it tips the scale at 241 kgs (or thereabouts), but you get used to it. I have had a similar experience of graduating from a Splendor (friend's bike used for learning) to the Classic 500. You won't have problems related to stability. You can have a TD and decide.
I honestly don't like the cruiser aesthetic all that much but I've only heard good things about this bike. I might even get a test ride after a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReventonLover View Post
2. The more out of the box option: search for a pre-owned Classic 500 in the market. The engine figures of 27HP and 41 Nm of torque may not elicit oohs and aahs, but let me assure you, it pulls like a freight train. I am en extremely hefty person and have ferried two more regular sized people (overenthusiastic first time buyer ) and have been comfortable in achieving speeds up to 110 kmph (the engine does start to sweat and you can feel that it is disgruntled). It is best ridden between 80 to 100 kmph (depending on how the previous owner has maintained the machine).

I did take a TD of both 390ADV and Xpulse200 at an event and the low end torque of the 390 disappointed me. Both me and my colleague (a seasoned veteran of long distance riding) stalled the vehicle a couple of times. Disclaimer: we were at an offroading event, so I wasn't able to test the highway manners.

Would love to hear your feedback as one of my BILs has a similar situation as yours, expect the power requirements.
I do like the power and torque figures that you mentioned in your answer and I can compromise on 3PS of power for that good a torque number. I think the Classic 500 is a very good suggestion. Thanks for that. But out of curiosity, why a pre-owned Classic 500 and not a new one?
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:55   #17

Hi.
Best options for you.

1. G310GS
2. KTM 390 ADV

G310GS own this myself.

This is not a normal upgrade. 310gs is an amazing machine.
Your bum will love you for this investment.
You can easily munch many miles without any halts comfortably cruising at around 110kmph.

The service cost
I don't understand how people find this expensive. It is way lesser than many bikes when you get the service interval into consideration.
310 GS requires service once every 10000km or 1 year.
Average service cost is around Rs 8000/10000. Compare that to the service cost of bikes that need service every 3000/5000 km with service costs reaching 4000 to 5000 in each service.

People really need to work on their math.

Parts are expensive. No doubt about that.

Pros
Comfort (love it)
Suspension
Gear ratio
10000km service interval
Pillion comfort
Luggage options
28-33 kmpl
Road presence and looks. Dot forget the BMW logo.

Cons
Heats up
11 litre fuel tank
Expensive spares
Service network

KTM 390 ADV
Seat height on this is not a bother. The seat is leaner and feet would touch the ground almost like a G310GS would feel (GS has a very broad seat)

Performance, unmatched in this segment. Almost similar to interceptor 650 twin cylinder.

Pros
Performance
Display (but disturbing during rides)
Service network
Inexpensive parts

Cons
Looks like cockroach (subjective)
Gear set up is irritating. Constant shifts in traffic.
Heats up
Low end torque is horrible.

Before concluding, I would like put a disclaimer that interceptor 650 has an amazing engine but equally horrible body and ergonomics.
Footpegs restrict you from moving bike.
Turning radius is like a truck
Bike wobbles after 100 dangerously
Seating position puts a lot of weight on wrists and palms

If you don't want to do Ladakh, Spiti, nepal or similarl rides and you ride mostly on highways, dominar is also a good option.

I am loving my experience with GS and it is a total head turner.
Not a day passes without someone asking me about the bike.
SAIF_BE EM WEE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:13   #18

Why risk your health with a faster bike just a comfortable long distance cruiser. Most of the off-road places where we use to go have become tarmac friendly hence ADV or no ADV will hardly make difference.

If price is a challenge
1. Just pick Suzuki storm 250
2. Yezdi Scrambler

If you can extend your budget
1. Meteor 650 , i rode the bike and its amazing.
2. Look for second hand Street rod or Bonville
3. Triumph 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
Please help me out here, Team BHPians.

To the mods, because I'm asking for motorcycle advice and have hence put them under the motorcycles section. In case this thread belongs to some other topic/forum, please merge it with that.

Best Regards,
Starkiller

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd March 2023 at 09:33. Reason: Trimming quoted post; inconveniences small screen users.
Mandeep0172 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 00:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
Thanks for that. But out of curiosity, why a pre-owned Classic 500 and not a new one?
They have discontinued the 500cc platform when transitioning to BS6.
ReventonLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 09:15   #20
BHPian

Tourer you want then stay away from single cylinder bikes. KTM, Dom, BMW 310/Apache.
If you can handle the weight of the RE 650 Interceptor, it would be a very good mile muncher. Not the best considering the weight and old school chassis, but still a better ride than the high vibes singles.
Now you did mention your issue with the shoulder, I'm not sure how it will hold you back.
How old are you? Fitness at any age is much needed, so get into a workout regime would be my advise.
Akkiben is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since you already have experience riding, i suggest you look in the pre-owned space

The bonnie is agrest long distance tourer.
There area few Versys 650 available in your budget - again great long distance touring

If new bikes is what you want, it's between the Dominar and the KTM 390.
I would stay away from RE.
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 01:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post
Now you did mention your issue with the shoulder, I'm not sure how it will hold you back.
How old are you? Fitness at any age is much needed, so get into a workout regime would be my advise.
I'm 31. I injured myself during the 2019 leg of Devil's Circuit. And even though the shoulder did heal up, the fact that I was/am into parkour and lifting kind of exacerbated the issue and now I am left with an unstable shoulder which might need a surgery to become stable. I am into fitness but even then, I have to be extra careful about the damaged shoulder. Hopefully, I'll be able to tour and ride and also continue lifting and parkour after I get the surgery done. 😄
Old 24th March 2023, 11:11   #23

Hey Starkiller!
I would like to start by saying that spec sheet figures don't always convey a full picture of a motorcycle. Always test-ride your options before deciding. This is what led me to my SF250 over RC390.

Now with that out of the way, I would highly recommend you take this opportunity to upgrade to a multi-cylinder bike. Going the pre-owned route will give you better options and I will recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 650 or the Versys 650. Both of them are proven motorcycles with solid touring credentials but the maintenance might be on the higher side. The next bet will be the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 which is again another great motorcycle, but for me, the lack of tubeless tyres and awkward front foot pegs was a deal breaker.

Regarding the clip-on handle, it will only become an issue when you consider the overall riding dynamics of the motorcycle. My SF250 too has clipons, but when considering the overall position, I tend to lean only very slightly and it doesn't put any sort of pressure on my hands/shoulders.
ITZ_Zeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:18   #24
BHPian

Buy a 160 kmph bike to cruise at 100 kmph is Shumi’s maxim, in the video linked to by @shancz above.

That means getting a bike with the 390 or 650 twin engines. I did see another video with Shumi saying he’s toured plenty with the Duke 390, and in some ways prefers it to the 390 ADV, so maybe that is the bike for you out of the current choices. The Interceptor is heavy and has an uncomfortable seat, but as @akkiben said above, it has the best highway engine.

If you wait for the Himalayan 450 you will get the occasional off road capability you want, but weight and top-heaviness might still be a problem.

Do try and rent a few bikes for a day or two of long rides each to assess comfort in the saddle and how you get along. I did that recently with a few bikes and it was a good experience. Maybe throw in a Scram and see how you feel about a lower-powered bike, since it has the ergos and comfort for the highway.

Last edited by Vikram9193 : 27th March 2023 at 11:18. Reason: Had to remove a discarded draft version from earlier
Vikram9193 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 22:24   #25
BHPian

Take a look at used Triumph Bonnie's. Many out there. They are rock solid at triple digit speeds, well sorted chassis and strong engines. I've had some glorious road trips on them. The issues with them are high parts/service cost and fuel consumption.
car love is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 23:09   #26

Try out Suzuki V-Strom SX 250. At different times in my life, I have owned Harley (Superlow), REs (DS and Interceptor), and finally settled for a bike that is reliable, lightweight (only 167kgs ), has a super smooth engine, easy to maintain from Suzuki. Before going for this one I tried KTM ADV 250 and 390 and felt the seat is far more comfortable on long rides and is also suitable for light offroading. Also, on my last solo trip, I got a mileage of 37kmpl.
vstromy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 12:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

I'd say wait for the Shotgun 650 to make your decision.
Gordon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 21:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I'd say wait for the Shotgun 650 to make your decision.
Yeah, the Shotgun/Classic 650 will remedy all the shortcomings of the Int650, and will really be a sales magnet. That's the one I too am waiting for.
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks