Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2023, 02:35   #1

Looking for a bigger, companion motorcycle to my Honda Hornet 2.0

Hello Team BHPians,

This is my first proper post on this forum. I've been riding for the past year. Got my first bike at the age of 30, the Honda Hornet 2.0, and have mainly done city rides and some small rides to Lonavala and Lavasa and the likes, covering approximately 15000 kms in a little over a year. I might write a long review some other time in case anyone is interested in that bike.

The reason I'm writing today is to get suggestions from the experienced folks here about what bike I should buy next. My Hornet 2.0 had a head gasket problem - the gasket was blown and oil was leaking from the engine head. I've got it replaced but there is still some misting due to the engine having been disassembled to put the gasket in. As much as I want to tour on my beloved Hornet, I really can't because I honestly don't want to end up with a blown gasket in the middle of nowhere. Not only will it dampen my mood and keep me worried till I get somewhere safe, it will also not be good for my little Hornet and will hurt him in the process of getting me somewhere safe. I recently had a crash (got distracted) that left me with a broken headlamp (fairings, bracket, and all) and a broken front fender. Got that replaced with a grey one instead of the red one I had.

These are my requirements for the new bike that I want:

A bike that is capable of doing long distances safely without any kind of issues cropping up due to lack of refinement or due to excess heat being developed.

Something that will give me a fuel economy of at least 25-30kmpl on an average.

Something with a very neutral committed riding position. My right shoulder is very unstable and gets dislocated often. So, no clip-ons. I don't mind slightly rear seat foot pegs.

I do love high revving motors but being in India, especially Maharashtra, more torque always helps so something that has a good torque and is fast as well. I honestly don't want a crotch-rocket, so something that makes about 50PS of power and 60Nm of torque is more than enough for me and will keep me very happy for a very long time. Lower numbers will also do but the power and torque figures must be over 30PS and 30Nm.

A stable, semi-heavy (160-180kgs) machine that is capable of holding 100-125kmph on the highway without being affected by wind wobbles. I hit 126kmph on my bike but the wind wobbles really scared me especially because the Hornet 2.0 has a kerb weight of just 142kgs. And being a 5'7" guy who is just 65-67kgs heavy doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either when hitting the highways.

Something that doesn't have a super steep learning curve. Coming from a bike that makes just 17.02PS and 16.1Nm, any bike will have a learning curve for me but an easier bike which also meets the above requirements will definitely help.

A price of 4-4.5L INR, on-road will be amazing. Even if I can afford a more expensive bike, I don't want to spend more than this amount. Also, I'll be opting for EMIs, so if any of you has any advice to give on that front, please feel free to comment.

A bike from a brand that has a good after sales service and service network will definitely go a long way. I've experienced a bit of lack of support from HMSI and I don't want to experience that ever again.

Not a necessity and more of a luxury, but still, good looks with help me win brownie points from my girlfriend.

Below are some of the (current and future) bikes that I have considered:

RE Interceptor 650.
Duke 390 (the ADV 390 is too tall for me).
Upcoming Himalayan 450 LC (or any of its derivatives).
Upcoming Hero XPulse 400.
BMW G310GS.
Upcoming Apache RTR 310.

The Ninja 400 and Ninja 300 are a bit out of budget and have clips-ons but I can compromise on those two areas a bit provided they are friendly enough and meet the above requirements.

Please help me out here, Team BHPians.

To the mods, because I'm asking for motorcycle advice and have hence put them under the motorcycles section. In case this thread belongs to some other topic/forum, please merge it with that.

Best Regards,
Starkiller
Starkiller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 10:04   #2

Re: Looking for a bigger, companion motorcycle to my Honda Hornet 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
Something with a very neutral committed riding position. My right shoulder is very unstable and gets dislocated often. So, no clip-ons. I don't mind slightly rear seat foot pegs.
Correcting the requirement about the riding position. I want something with a very neutral and not committed riding position.
Old 9th March 2023, 12:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

You need something with liquid cooling.
Ignoring the "upcoming" as the realistic timeline is more into 2024 than 2023 and this is just a guess. Even if they launch by Diwali the deliveries won't start before Feb-March 2024.

My suggestions:
- Dominar 400 : sort of what you want
- 310 GS : better suspension but BMW service charges
- 390 Duke : Do test but not sure if it's the ideal choice for a tourer

Didn't mention the Interceptor as I felt the front get surprisingly light at triple digits and on open highways with head/cross wind there was a concerning wobble.
Then there's the tube type tyres and lack of liquid cooling.
It's a good bike, just not suited for some of your requirements.

Good Luck.

Last edited by shancz : 9th March 2023 at 12:53. Reason: add Interceptor info
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 14:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RE Interceptor 650.
BMW G310GS.
Upcoming Apache RTR 310.
Get the BMW G310GS, a proper upgrade but not too much. Fits your requirements, within your budget and brownie points with your girl friend as well

Take a test ride and see if it floats your boat, if it does, don’t look further. I would forget the upcoming part, it’s always in the air.

Do let us know what you eventually buy, all the best.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 20:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled across this video and IMO its worth your time before you start your test rides.
Might just change your perspective

Credits to Providers :
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 23:39   #6
BHPian

@Starkiller, I’m a fellow 5’7” tall 62 kilos decently built guy riding the KTM 390 ADV for over 9 months. Not once has height been an issue. One foot down is all you need and slight awareness in case of a sloping surface.

I had the same inhibitions as yourself but one test ride cured it all for me. So do try it and then rule it out if you really have to. Touring capability of this bike still makes me wake up each weekend to ride it out.

The stance is very neutral, very easy on the back.
FE is 25 in city, don’t expect better and 30ish on the highway. Super fun engine and fits in your budget. The safety tech +Quickshifter is a boon and not just gimmicks.

Good luck with your hunt, always an exciting time.
Malliketh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Below are some of the (current and future) bikes that I have considered:

RE Interceptor 650.
Upcoming Himalayan 450 LC (or any of its derivatives)
BMW G310GS.
Upcoming Apache RTR 310
Is there any reason for which you are not considering Dominar 400?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th March 2023 at 19:06. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
NB_4763 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 12:22   #8
BHPian

Hey there, 60ps under 4.5 lahks is tough ask. I don’t think there is anything new you can acquire for that price range. IMO if you are looking for highway cruising the RE twins and KTM390 (adv & duke) can be really good options.

I recently acquired the ktm 390 adv and have documented the buying experience here (Twin brothers twinning with their 2 KTM 390 Adventure bikes).

Also if you can wait, try and wait for Himalayan 450 liquid cooled and the xpulse 400. Don’t go by any numbers, if highway cruising is you main objective then 390 can easily hold 110-120 cruising speeds without any problems. I am sure the new Himalayan and xpulse too are being worked on to make this happen. In fact on one my recent rides, an experienced rider with the BS4 Himalayan cruised at 110 all day long without breaking a sweat.

Best to spend a few bucks and get rentals of the shortlisted bikes and do a small highway run to clear your doubts and hone in on what exactly you are looking for. I hope you find what you are looking for.
SedanGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Some thoughts after 1 year of ownership of BMW G310 R, as a weekend only bike:
- Mine only did 1,000 Km in the year, and it held up good, barring some rectifiable issues(coolant leak, throttle recall).
- Service cost is high but the quality is on par with their big bikes and it is done once a year or at 10K intervals.
- Ride and comfort is smooth, not a hooligan but a cruiser.
- it is approachable at a seat height of 785mm and just weighs 164Kg(wet) plus got rider aides - slipper clutch, dual ABS, low rpm assist, ride by wire.
- BMW does frequently organizes group rides and tours.
If you want the pre-owned route, get the CB500X.

I would suggest test ride and choose the one that makes you feel special enough for you to crave weekends.

Last edited by Blackwing : 12th March 2023 at 13:22.
Blackwing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 14:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_4763 View Post
Is there any reason for which you are not considering Dominar 400?
I'm not particularly sure about how good the fit and finish will be on a Bajaj motorcycle. And I'm also a bit skeptical about the engine refinement, especially because I am currently ride a Honda. Also, the Dominar is rather heavy compared to its Austrian cousins. While I've heard good things about that bike, the looks are a deal breaker for me (even though the tail looks very muscular and hunky). These are the reasons why I don't want to opt for the Dominar. I did think of the CB 300F, but the power and torque figures aren't upto the mark, especially when you compare it to the other 300, the CB300R. And I'm not sure if I've mentioned it in the original post, but the CB300R and the Hornet 2.0 have a very similar problem - they're very light and don't inspire a lot of confidence on the highways. And the problem will be magnified on the 300R because it has double the figures of the Hornet 2.0 while being only 4kgs heavier.
Old 12th March 2023, 23:53   #11
BHPian

Given your requirements, getting 50PS under 4.5L is hard. But if you are open to search for used, you can search for a Kawasaki Versys 650.

The BMW G310GS is a very good bike, with dual ABS, comfortable suspension, ride-by-wire etc. My friend has the naked version (G310R) and is happy with the bike, only concern being the high service costs.

Do test ride the Dominar 400. It matches your requirements, but is heavy and you don't like the looks.

The Ninja 300 is not a supersport, but a sport tourer as per Kawasaki. Also it costs same as the 390 adventure. Ninja has a 17 litre fuel tank, if you are considering long tours. You can test ride, and see if you can do some modification for the handlebars.

Personally I would suggest go ahead with the G310GS or G310R.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 13:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLearner View Post
The BMW G310GS is a very good bike, with dual ABS, comfortable suspension, ride-by-wire etc. My friend has the naked version (G310R) and is happy with the bike, only concern being the high service costs.
Is the rear ABS switchable for the G310R and G310GS? In case I ever take them off-roading, or even on rough roads, a switchable rear ABS will really help. The Hornet 2.0 doesn't have a rear ABS and that has indeed saved me on a couple of occasions.

Quote:
The Ninja 300 is not a supersport, but a sport tourer as per Kawasaki. Also it costs same as the 390 adventure. Ninja has a 17 litre fuel tank, if you are considering long tours. You can test ride, and see if you can do some modification for the handlebars.
How committed is the riding position? I know that the Ninja 300 has clip-ons, but are the clip-ons similar to the ones on the Apache RTR 200 4V, or can the OEM clip-ons be switched with regular handlebars or faux clip-ons?
Old 14th March 2023, 00:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Is the rear ABS switchable for the G310R and G310GS? In case I ever take them off-roading, or even on rough roads, a switchable rear ABS will really help. The Hornet 2.0 doesn't have a rear ABS and that has indeed saved me on a couple of occasions.

How committed is the riding position? I know that the Ninja 300 has clip-ons, but are the clip-ons similar to the ones on the Apache RTR 200 4V, or can the OEM clip-ons be switched with regular handlebars or faux clip-ons?
The pre-facelift version of the G310GS had switchable ABS, for offroading, which now will only be available via pre-owned route. Now it does not, neither does the G310R have switchable ABS.

In the somewhat premium range which you are looking, switchable ABS is probably only available in the KTMs.

About the position of the ninja 300, sorry but please take it for a test ride/ rent. I suggested it based on reviews from this forum and friends.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 11:36   #14

Quote:
The pre-facelift version of the G310GS had switchable ABS, for offroading, which now will only be available via pre-owned route. Now it does not, neither does the G310R have switchable ABS.

In the somewhat premium range which you are looking, switchable ABS is probably only available in the KTMs.
A lot of people are really happy with the 390s from KTM. Really might take a test ride in a few days.
Old 22nd March 2023, 21:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I do love high revving motors but being in India, especially Maharashtra, more torque always helps so something that has a good torque and is fast as well. I honestly don't want a crotch-rocket, so something that makes about 50PS of power and 60Nm of torque is more than enough for me and will keep me very happy for a very long time. Lower numbers will also do but the power and torque figures must be over 30PS and 30Nm.

A stable, semi-heavy (160-180kgs) machine that is capable of holding 100-125kmph on the highway without being affected by wind wobbles. I hit 126kmph on my bike but the wind wobbles really scared me especially because the Hornet 2.0 has a kerb weight of just 142kgs. And being a 5'7" guy who is just 65-67kgs heavy doesn't inspire a lot of confidence either when hitting the highways:

RE Interceptor 650.
BMW G310GS.
Upcoming Apache RTR 310.
Since others have already covered the other models, here are my two cents on two more out of the box options that you might consider buying:

1. If you are up for it, why don't you give the Super Meteor a try. Yes, it tips the scale at 241 kgs (or thereabouts), but you get used to it. I have had a similar experience of graduating from a Splendor (friend's bike used for learning) to the Classic 500. You won't have problems related to stability. You can have a TD and decide.

2. The more out of the box option: search for a pre-owned Classic 500 in the market. The engine figures of 27HP and 41 Nm of torque may not elicit oohs and aahs, but let me assure you, it pulls like a freight train. I am en extremely hefty person and have ferried two more regular sized people (overenthusiastic first time buyer ) and have been comfortable in achieving speeds up to 110 kmph (the engine does start to sweat and you can feel that it is disgruntled). It is best ridden between 80 to 100 kmph (depending on how the previous owner has maintained the machine).

I did take a TD of both 390ADV and Xpulse200 at an event and the low end torque of the 390 disappointed me. Both me and my colleague (a seasoned veteran of long distance riding) stalled the vehicle a couple of times. Disclaimer: we were at an offroading event, so I wasn't able to test the highway manners.

Would love to hear your feedback as one of my BILs has a similar situation as yours, expect the power requirements.
ReventonLover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed