Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 16:55   #16
BHPian

re: My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle

Congrats on the bike and interesting to note some interesting parallels here . I am also the proud owner of a 92 model Supra Power-up and incidentally i am also about to get a Hero Honda Street .

Off-topic to the thread but i am also on the lookout for the meter console and the key set for the street. Any sources for the same ?
Roshith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:47   #17
BHPian

Such a comprehensive collection of historical data! Read through every single word. I'm the proud owner of a heavily modded and barely original example of the AX's more humble sibling. The amount of literature one can find online on that one is so minute that I've never cared for originality, but instead used it as a blank canvas to exercise my creativity.

However, I have always wanted to own and maintain one like this and did actually come close to going for a red AX 100 (87', if I remember correctly) during my own search. There really is something insanely satisfying about studying in detail, the story behind a machine and maintaining it to that exact same specs and standards. After all, these motorcycles are an important part of our nation's history in mobility.

There's also a similar blue AX around my locality. The colour is truly a delight. Few bikes manage to pull off that vibrant shade of blue as well as the AX 100 does.

Thank you for the wonderful thread. Do continue updating us on it. The intoxicating wail on throttle is just so special and unique to this little machine.

A.
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 19:04   #18
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Congratulations on the bike, v12! The bike looks lovely and it was interesting to go through so much information about the first Suzukis to have been officially sold in this country
Thank you boniver!! I am a fan of your Max100 since that motorcycle is very much similar to the AX100. My cousin owns one from new and its immaculately maintained just like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Thank you for this thread. Brings back a lot of fond memories.
It was the early 90's when our neighbour whom we used to fondly call "racing uncle" bought a brand new blue Ind-Suzuki AX 100 or was it the Supra??. He had a fully modded RX100 too and used to do crazy stunts with it. Once I remember him taking me and a friend for a joy ride to Ooty. About 60kms uphill through the Kalhatti ghats in about an hour! All I could hear was the sweet buzz of the engine and that crazy pull (almost a whiplash) whenever he used to shift through the gears. We had an Yezdi CLII at that time. The AX 100 suddenly felt like a beast when compared to the Yezdi.
Wow, I am just waiting to finish restoring the bike and start riding it regularly. The bike does require a bit of tuning - but even in this state, I love the sound of the AX100 over the RX100. It has a very distinct sound which is muted and sharp at the same time. Please do share pics of the AX/Supra or the CLII if you have them - would love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennant1970 View Post
A blue Ind-Suzuki AX 100R was the first bike I bought (1987 moder, second hand) in 1994 after I got my first "proper job". I kept it for a couple of years, modified, repainted and re-stickered it. Thanks for the memories. I still remember the hi-pitched scream at higher RPMs...
Thank you Pennant, glad this post got back those fond memories. Do you still have the AX100? Can you post some details and pics if you have any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad Rider View Post
Thank you for the thread. Brings back the memories. My father had a Blue coloured MAX 100R, in which i learned motorcycling.
Thanks Glad Rider, Good to see so many AX100 owners her. You wont believe, but all of the AX100's I have seen as a kid were always red. Mine was the first blue one I have come across. Do you have photos of your fathers Max100R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
I have nice memories of the IndSuzuki AX100. The Bank branch I was posted had one.

The AX 100 when launched was the slick bike that everyone was yearning for. The shining shocks were drool worthy.

It was, in my opinion, slightly larger than the RX100 with the KB100 being the longest. The engine was very creamy and used to give good mileage which was its USP at that mileage crazy time, until the CD100 was launched. No fancy maintenance required. Just fill petrol, add oil and keep munching KM after KM. But due to its short wheelbase and soft suspension its ride used to be bouncy above 60~70kmph.

I hope you get the parts for restoration and await eagerly to have a look at the pictures of the fully restored bike.

Amazing history for this bike. Just like Honda is milking the CD100 engine, TVS also milked this engine to the max until the 2 strokes became unviable due to emission norms.
Thank you Pugram. Now that you mention it, I did find the rear shocks very bouncy - but I thought probably it needs to be fixed. As far as what I have been told, these are hydraulic shocks (like the front forks) and not the spring type. In terms of size, isnt the AX100 shorter in length than the RX100? Atleast when I kept them side by side - it looked and felt short.

In comparison to the CD100, I believe the CD100 was launched a year or 2 before the AX100. The AX100's USP was its 2-stroke engine and its high fuel average. The AX100 sales started dwindling when bikes like the RX100 and KB100 were launched - mainly because they were slightly more powerful than the AX.

Would love to hear stories on such models from Hero Honda, Yamaha and Kawasakai too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
Congrats on the bike and interesting to note some interesting parallels here . I am also the proud owner of a 92 model Supra Power-up and incidentally i am also about to get a Hero Honda Street .

Off-topic to the thread but i am also on the lookout for the meter console and the key set for the street. Any sources for the same ?
Hello Roshith, Thank you - and you cannot put up a post like this without a photo of the Supra - please do post, would love to see it.

Spares for the HH Street are next to impossible, especially body parts. The only option is to get a completely functioning Street with original parts. You could try Safexbikes.com - they have parts like the indicator and tail light lens'. Switchgear can be sourced from the Kinetic Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhyjith K.A View Post
Such a comprehensive collection of historical data! Read through every single word. I'm the proud owner of a heavily modded and barely original example of the AX's more humble sibling. The amount of literature one can find online on that one is so minute that I've never cared for originality, but instead used it as a blank canvas to exercise my creativity.

However, I have always wanted to own and maintain one like this and did actually come close to going for a red AX 100 (87', if I remember correctly) during my own search. There really is something insanely satisfying about studying in detail, the story behind a machine and maintaining it to that exact same specs and standards. After all, these motorcycles are an important part of our nation's history in mobility.

There's also a similar blue AX around my locality. The colour is truly a delight. Few bikes manage to pull off that vibrant shade of blue as well as the AX 100 does.

Thank you for the wonderful thread. Do continue updating us on it. The intoxicating wail on throttle is just so special and unique to this little machine.

A.
Thank you Abhyjith, glad you liked the thread. Which is the model that you own? Would you have pics of the bike before and after modifying?

You are right, the internet holds so much of useful and important information - its mind blowing. The website that I have provided above (suzukicycles.org) has so much of information on all of the Suzuki motorcycles that it could put the official website to shame.

I would love to see the AX100 from your locality, if you could try and get some detailed pics of it.
Old 21st March 2023, 19:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Thank you Pennant, glad this post got back those fond memories. Do you still have the AX100? Can you post some details and pics if you have any?
As I said, I had it for 2 years (maybe a bit more). I enjoyed having the bike, did some "young man things" on it, made some memories, sold it on. I do have a picture of it - but don't ask me where!
Pennant1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 19:58   #20
BHPian

Right after reading this thread I went to my garage (it’s a little far away from my house), pulled out my bike and went on a short spin. To be honest, since the KTM arrived, I’ve only been riding it (1600 kms in 1.5 months, only on weekends) and the 2 stroke has been lying unused barring one ride in two weeks types. Brought the bike home today and will probably ride it around a bit before parking it in the garage again until after the rains subside.

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-08cb2a74e174405990308d05a3caef82.jpeg
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
In comparison to the CD100, I believe the CD100 was launched a year or 2 before the AX100.
I remember the timeline as AX 100 being launched first followed by CD100 , Yamaha and then KB100.

I checked Wikipedia and AX100 was launched in 1984 followed by Hero Honda in 1985, a small gap though.

As a young boy then, the shiny shocks and it's action were drool worthy like none you had seen before.

My first bike was a second hand KB100 RTZ. A very good handling bike with one of the best speedo console on a bike till date. That wide handle bar was very comfortable and so were the switches. RE guys used to swap to these handlebars for comfort and those switches. One of the rare bike where the carb was concealed on one side of the engine casing.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:40   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Right after reading this thread I went to my garage (it’s a little far away from my house), pulled out my bike and went on a short spin. To be honest, since the KTM arrived, I’ve only been riding it (1600 kms in 1.5 months, only on weekends) and the 2 stroke has been lying unused barring one ride in two weeks types. Brought the bike home today and will probably ride it around a bit before parking it in the garage again until after the rains subside.

Attachment 2431663
I am happy my thread prompted you to take your bike out. Its the same with me - since I got the Xpulse, the RX100 took a back seat. But then I made up my mind to use it atleast twice a week to work to keep it running. Keeping it unused can take a lot of toll on the bike and will negate all the hard work put into restoring it. Love your AX100R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
I remember the timeline as AX 100 being launched first followed by CD100 , Yamaha and then KB100.

I checked Wikipedia and AX100 was launched in 1984 followed by Hero Honda in 1985, a small gap though.

As a young boy then, the shiny shocks and it's action were drool worthy like none you had seen before.

My first bike was a second hand KB100 RTZ. A very good handling bike with one of the best speedo console on a bike till date. That wide handle bar was very comfortable and so were the switches. RE guys used to swap to these handlebars for comfort and those switches. One of the rare bike where the carb was concealed on one side of the engine casing.
From what I recollect reading is that the CD100 was the first 100cc motorcycle to be launched in India. The AX100 was the first 100cc 2 stroke to be launched, which was then followed by the RX100 and then the KB100.

Quote:
I can relate to this since one of my friends had one in college. Its on my list af bikes to acquire next
Old 21st March 2023, 21:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I am happy my thread prompted you to take your bike out. Its the same with me - since I got the Xpulse, the RX100 took a back seat. But then I made up my mind to use it atleast twice a week to work to keep it running. Keeping it unused can take a lot of toll on the bike and will negate all the hard work put into restoring it. Love your AX100R
Thanks v12, the bike is a MAX100 though. Found a set of NOS tank and panels in Delhi so fitted those without altering anything, hence the confusion. My bikes lie unused because I don't have a commute as such (WFH), and my riding buddies ride more powerful bikes so I take out the KTM with them on the weekends.

However, I recently brainwashed a BHPian friend to get an RX100. Once that gets restored in the coming month, we'll be taking our bikes out for a spin at least once a week
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:26   #24
BHPian

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230101wa0103.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230101wa0091.jpg

Thank you :-) As you had asked for, please find some pictures of my 91 model Supra . She is a cool bike and still manages to keep up with most others on the road
Roshith is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:04   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, your Supra looks beautiful and straight out of the factory. The blue shade - is it the same shade on the Ind Suzuki AX100? Can you please help me with the shade?
Old 23rd March 2023, 23:12   #26
BHPian

Congrats on the bike v12! You are owning a piece of Indian Motoring History, and reading about the history of the bike really shows how much the biking scene has evolved in India. I wish you a great ownership and lots of fun miles on this bike
TorqueMonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 01:36   #27
BHPian

Congratulations V12 and welcome to the Suzuki Club. I just finished restoring my 1985 Ind Suzuki AX100. I was planing to write a super detailed thread on history of 2 stroke Suzukis in India but you have done excellent research and written it very well. Do let me know if you need any help in restoring it and please let me know if come across some me good parts. I’m too hunting some parts for my FireBlade.
I’m not a fan of round headlamp on the AX100 and current setup on FireBlade is of CD100.
I’m also looking for front crash guard and Saree Guard. My bike had these two original items but they got misplaced during a lengthy and mentally draining restoration process that lasted for 4 years.

This bike turns more heads than a super bike. Everyday I get stopped a couple of times and people lot of their memories and wish they could retain the Suzuki.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-756159ada4784c4e8a7922faf5155750.jpeg  

Last edited by knightfurry : 25th March 2023 at 01:46.
knightfurry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 11:07   #28
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
Congrats on the bike v12! You are owning a piece of Indian Motoring History, and reading about the history of the bike really shows how much the biking scene has evolved in India. I wish you a great ownership and lots of fun miles on this bike
Thank you for those kind words TorqueMonster. Those are the exact words I used to explain to my non-biker friends about the AX100. "I did not buy a motorcycle, I bought a piece of Indian Motorcycle History ". Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
Congratulations V12 and welcome to the Suzuki Club. I just finished restoring my 1985 Ind Suzuki AX100. I was planing to write a super detailed thread on history of 2 stroke Suzukis in India but you have done excellent research and written it very well. Do let me know if you need any help in restoring it and please let me know if come across some me good parts. I’m too hunting some parts for my FireBlade.
I’m not a fan of round headlamp on the AX100 and current setup on FireBlade is of CD100.
I’m also looking for front crash guard and Saree Guard. My bike had these two original items but they got misplaced during a lengthy and mentally draining restoration process that lasted for 4 years.

This bike turns more heads than a super bike. Everyday I get stopped a couple of times and people lot of their memories and wish they could retain the Suzuki.

Cheers.
Hello Knightfurry, you have a lovely AX100 and amazing work done on it. I agree with you parts availability is always a problem for such old motorcycles. I wish manufacturers could provide support in making parts (especially body parts) for models which are still in production in some other countries. I agree it would be an expensive affair, but if the customer is willing to pay then it's no big deal. I am really thankful to OEM manufacturers like Uno Minda and Swiss, who still have stock available for most of the older motorcycles - and glad that they are still selling at MRP.

I will be updating this thread with any information I can on contacts for parts availability and any other information that could be useful. I have ordered some parts and am waiting for them to be delivered before I can post any reviews.

What I or any of us would need help on is :
1. What bike does the AX100 share it's parts with?
AFAIK, the Max100 for most of the parts. It does share a lot of parts with the Suzuki Samurai too (indicator lens, front mudguard, chain cover, crash guard, saree guard).
2. The color codes / shades for the red and blue models - or any other color the AX100 2lwas available in.
Old 26th March 2023, 02:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Knightfurry, you have a lovely AX100 and amazing work done on it. I agree with you parts availability is always a problem for such old motorcycles. I wish manufacturers could provide support in making parts (especially body parts) for models which are still in production in some other countries. I agree it would be an expensive affair, but if the customer is willing to pay then it's no big deal. I am really thankful to OEM manufacturers like Uno Minda and Swiss, who still have stock available for most of the older motorcycles - and glad that they are still selling at MRP.
I agree and two strokes are still sold in many parts of the world. I even toiled with the idea of importing a Suzuki two stroke from South America since it was getting difficult to source parts.

Quote:

1. What bike does the AX100 share its parts with?
AFAIK, the Max100 for most of the parts. It does share a lot of parts with the Suzuki Samurai too (indicator lens, front mudguard, chain cover, crash guard, saree guard).
2. The color codes / shades for the red and blue models - or any other color the AX100 2lwas available in.
Max100 and AX100 are of totally different breed and there are differences in the engines of Suzuki / Ind Suzuki and TVS Suzuki. While the max 100 does share a lot of parts with with latter TVS Suzuki AX100, the Jap Suzukis are totally different.

Pic 1 is the block piston of Max 100 / TVS Suzuki AX 100

Pic 2 is block piston of Suzuki/ Ind Suzuki. Although the dimensions are same the manifold is different.

Even the wiring harness is a bit different but that can be solved.

Carborator outlet of AX100 is smaller and MAX 100 is bigger. The oil pump is also different. So be careful when you order parts.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-2fa00f6cdc314db3bee14a1043fbf60b.jpeg  

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-3b06806219764d6493b56342f774e09e.jpeg  

Old 26th March 2023, 10:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
Attachment 2432281

Attachment 2432282

Thank you :-) As you had asked for, please find some pictures of my 91 model Supra . She is a cool bike and still manages to keep up with most others on the road
Wow! She is a real beauty
Square indicators was the main differentiator visually between AX100 & Supra. After this the sportier two strokes from Suzuki got square indicators E.g. Shaolin & Shogun while the daily commutes got round indicators E.g. Samurai & MAX 100.

Most Viewed