Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2023, 14:01   #31
BHPian

re: My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Wow, I am just waiting to finish restoring the bike and start riding it regularly. The bike does require a bit of tuning - but even in this state, I love the sound of the AX100 over the RX100. It has a very distinct sound which is muted and sharp at the same time. Please do share pics of the AX/Supra or the CLII if you have them - would love to see them.
It's such a refreshing exhaust note. Bassy at low RPMs and high pitched wail at higher revs. Such a characterful engine it is.

Quote:
Thank you Pugram. Now that you mention it, I did find the rear shocks very bouncy - but I thought probably it needs to be fixed. As far as what I have been told, these are hydraulic shocks (like the front forks) and not the spring type. In terms of size, isnt the AX100 shorter in length than the RX100? Atleast when I kept them side by side - it looked and felt short.
AX series is slightly longer and bigger as a whole in comparison to the RX series. But the differences are really minute. As for rear shocks, best to stick to stock to maintain originality. But for those owners who want an upgrade, the Bajaj Platina/CT 100 ones are a fantastic choice. The black and orange ones. I've got those on my Max 100 and can vouch for how good they are.

Quote:
In comparison to the CD100, I believe the CD100 was launched a year or 2 before the AX100. The AX100's USP was its 2-stroke engine and its high fuel average. The AX100 sales started dwindling when bikes like the RX100 and KB100 were launched - mainly because they were slightly more powerful than the AX.
AX was the OG (84'). CD came in 85'. Literally the success of almost all small capacity commuter bikes in India since can be attributed to the AX laying the groundwork for the demand. That's why it's so special.

Quote:
Thank you Abhyjith, glad you liked the thread. Which is the model that you own? Would you have pics of the bike before and after modifying?

You are right, the internet holds so much of useful and important information - its mind blowing. The website that I have provided above (suzukicycles.org) has so much of information on all of the Suzuki motorcycles that it could put the official website to shame.

I would love to see the AX100 from your locality, if you could try and get some detailed pics of it.
Mine's an 02' Max 100 R. The TVS one with the twin round dials and TVS badging on the engine side covers.

Here's what she looked like immediately after purchase and a minor mechanical restoration :

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img_20220402_081313282_hdr.jpg

And here's what she looks like now :

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img_20230319_081022712_hdr.jpg

She's still a work in progress. Lots more to do. Mechanically all good. Mostly cosmetic and structural stuff to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
Attachment 2432281

Attachment 2432282

Thank you :-) As you had asked for, please find some pictures of my 91 model Supra . She is a cool bike and still manages to keep up with most others on the road
Absolutely gorgeous! Since the specs on paper are exactly the same as the RX 100, with just a tiny bit of extra torque on offer, I'd love to know what the actual top speed of this one is. And also the mileage. Cherish her forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
Congratulations V12 and welcome to the Suzuki Club. I just finished restoring my 1985 Ind Suzuki AX100. I was planing to write a super detailed thread on history of 2 stroke Suzukis in India but you have done excellent research and written it very well. Do let me know if you need any help in restoring it and please let me know if come across some me good parts. I知 too hunting some parts for my FireBlade.
I知 not a fan of round headlamp on the AX100 and current setup on FireBlade is of CD100.
I知 also looking for front crash guard and Saree Guard. My bike had these two original items but they got misplaced during a lengthy and mentally draining restoration process that lasted for 4 years.

This bike turns more heads than a super bike. Everyday I get stopped a couple of times and people lot of their memories and wish they could retain the Suzuki.

Cheers.
Looks great. Do please carry forth with your thread! The more literature we have, the more easy it is to preserve our treasured possessions!

Quote:
Hello Knightfurry, you have a lovely AX100 and amazing work done on it. I agree with you parts availability is always a problem for such old motorcycles. I wish manufacturers could provide support in making parts (especially body parts) for models which are still in production in some other countries. I agree it would be an expensive affair, but if the customer is willing to pay then it's no big deal. I am really thankful to OEM manufacturers like Uno Minda and Swiss, who still have stock available for most of the older motorcycles - and glad that they are still selling at MRP.

I will be updating this thread with any information I can on contacts for parts availability and any other information that could be useful. I have ordered some parts and am waiting for them to be delivered before I can post any reviews.

What I or any of us would need help on is :
1. What bike does the AX100 share it's parts with?
AFAIK, the Max100 for most of the parts. It does share a lot of parts with the Suzuki Samurai too (indicator lens, front mudguard, chain cover, crash guard, saree guard).
2. The color codes / shades for the red and blue models - or any other color the AX100 2lwas available in.
AX, Max & Samurai are some of the easier to restore bikes out there. Especially the latter two. Yes, you can use Max 100 parts on the AX, but the originality would be compromised. It's better to patiently hunt for original AX spares in your case. As for parts itself, many parts are still being produced brand new by the same companies you mentioned.

AX does share the chain cover and Saree guard with the Samurai. Front mudguard of the Max 100 can be used (The chrome one). As for the crash guard, the AX originally had a beautiful diamond shaped one. Didn't think that same crash guard came with the Max and Samurai.

Apart from those, AXs had shiny metallic switchgear (Max 100 has black painted metal ones) and also a neat little key lock for the throttle. Also the AX had metallic side panels whereas Max 100 has ABS plastic ones. Both are of the same shape and dimensions and can be interchanged.

But Suzuki two strokes are notorious for breaking plastic side panels (In the case of Max 100) and also the tail panels (In the case of Supra, Samurai, Shaolin & Shogun). Reason is the rubber bushings under the seat break and fall off, destabilising the seat, causing it to move around, breaking the plastic parts. So get yourself a neat little seat rubber kit (Cost me ₹70) and use Feviquik to make sure they stay in place. Shouldn't be a problem with the AX's metal panels, but you want your seat to stay properly at the end of the day.

Quote:
I agree and two strokes are still sold in many parts of the world. I even toiled with the idea of importing a Suzuki two stroke from South America since it was getting difficult to source parts.
Was on the Suzuki Argentina website and was quite surprised to see the AX being listed as sold brand new.

Quote:
Max100 and AX100 are of totally different breed and there are differences in the engines of Suzuki / Ind Suzuki and TVS Suzuki. While the max 100 does share a lot of parts with with latter TVS Suzuki AX100, the Jap Suzukis are totally different.

Pic 1 is the block piston of Max 100 / TVS Suzuki AX 100

Pic 2 is block piston of Suzuki/ Ind Suzuki. Although the dimensions are same the manifold is different.

Even the wiring harness is a bit different but that can be solved.

Carborator outlet of AX100 is smaller and MAX 100 is bigger. The oil pump is also different. So be careful when you order parts.
Apart from the bore, the intake manifold and the carburettor, almost all the other engine parts are identical as far as I'm aware. Maybe the exception is the "Made in Japan" embossing present on the AX, but not on the Max. Interesting to note that the oil pump is different.

Quote:
Wow! She is a real beauty
Square indicators was the main differentiator visually between AX100 & Supra. After this the sportier two strokes from Suzuki got square indicators E.g. Shaolin & Shogun while the daily commutes got round indicators E.g. Samurai & MAX 100.
Samurai got the round indicators with black rear casing while Max 100 got oval indicators with shiny plastichrome casing at the rear.

Last edited by Abhyjith K.A : 26th March 2023 at 14:20. Reason: Wrong quoting
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 02:02   #32
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Knightfurry and Abhyjith, thank you for all that information and insights on the AX100 / Samurai parts. It will definitely help me (and obviously others) while ordering engine parts.

Regarding Suzuki Argentina, yes they still manufacture and sell the Suzuki AX100 in it's 2 Stroke avatar. Probably because the emission norms are not as strict as other nations. Anyone going to Argentina can get a good lot of brand new original Suzuki parts or maybe Suzuki India should do that to support those who are trying to restore them.

I am now ordering some local parts like mudguard and indicators so I can use them during the monsoon and don't have to risk the original parts from getting damaged or rusted. Although i would love to start off restoring the bike as soon as possible, I may have to push the restoration post monsoon. Till then will source as much parts as possible.

Latest Update
I recently got to know that Transfer of Ownership had commenced online at the Mumbai RTO. Not sure if it was a 100% online process (without visiting the RTO) or a partial process where you had to visit to submit documents. So decided to try it out myself. Took me a while to understand and go to the whole process, but it was as smooth as butter. The whole process costs just 400 bucks only - whereas an agent would charge you upto 2500. I updated all the details on the Vahan website (Form 29/30) using the Seller and Buyer options and printed and submitted them to the RTO physically (along with uploading them on the portal). And lo and behold, the AX100 got transferred to my name today.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 02:06   #33
BHPian

Latest update:
The front shocks and bearings have given away. It has spent 20 days at my mechanics garage and still not able to source the springs. I知 also not happy with the switch gear quality. Fed up with low quality spares I have contacted various dealers in Argentina. Most of them aren稚 keen / interested in exporting parts to India. In the mean time I致e also written to Haojue, China asking for spares since they are the actual manufacturers of the switch the spares. I知 going to put it one last effort to gather parts from Mumbai (Kurla). Please let me know if anyone has any contacts for good quality spares.
Old 16th April 2023, 09:27   #34
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Knightfurry, i understand your pain. The quality of spares available today (first copy and so on) are of pathetic quality. I tried eBay Argentina and searched for a lot of Argentina websites, but none deliver the parts even to USA. Ali Express does have a lot of parts, you can get them delivered to India via some other country where they deliver. I had written to Suzuki India about making the AX100 parts available here - but have received no response yet.

All the best with searching in Kurla, but do check for authenticity of the parts cos they too can be local parts.

Question - Can the springs / bearings from the Samurai or the Max100 not work on the AX100?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 01:10   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

On a recent trip to Udupi, i got a chance to pick up 1 Swiss Indicator and 2 Uno Minda indicators for the AX100. To my good luck, the shop also had a stock of Swiss Indicator lens and i managed to pick up a set of 2 as a backup. I am still on the lookout for a set of the original metal indicators, but I am sure those are going to be difficult and expensive to source.

Anyways to my luck, as we exited the shop, an immaculate red Ind Suzuki AX100 passed us and before we could see it clearly, it was gone. The next day I came back to inquire about it at the parts shop and he directed me to the owners shop. Went searching for it and there it was - an immaculate Ind Suzuki and original in a lot of ways. It's a December 1984 single owner motorcycle and was recently restored by the owner. Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230415181829.jpg  

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230415182550.jpg  

v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 00:28   #36
BHPian

It’s been almost a month I’m searching for springs and still haven’t got them. We got hold of an old shock repairing guy and we are going to try to repair the existing springs.

If he can’t repair then we are going to try of MAX100. Will keep you posted. As for bearings they are common.

Quote:

Question - Can the springs / bearings from the Samurai or the Max100 not work on the AX100?
Quote:
On a recent trip to Udupi, i got a chance to pick up 1 Swiss Indicator and 2 Uno Minda indicators for the AX100. To my good luck, the shop also had a stock of Swiss Indicator lens and i managed to pick up a set of 2 as a backup.
Can you please share contact details with of the shop? I want to get some spares from him and will he ship it Pune?

Last edited by knightfurry : 23rd May 2023 at 00:34.
Old 23rd May 2023, 23:31   #37
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It痴 been almost a month I知 searching for springs and still haven稚 got them. We got hold of an old shock repairing guy and we are going to try to repair the existing springs.

If he can稚 repair then we are going to try of MAX100. Will keep you posted. As for bearings they are common.

Can you please share contact details with of the shop? I want to get some spares from him and will he ship it Pune?
Hello Knightfurry,

I'll need to check for the details of the shop - that was the last set of indicators he had with him. No other parts are available with him or with anyone in the vicinity. Safexbikes.com would be the best option or you could list down the spares you are looking for and I could try and help you with some links or leads.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 20:26   #38
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

With the monsoons due to arrive soon, I have postponed the AX100 restoration towards the end of the year. Until then I plan to collect parts that need replacement. So far have managed to source the following :

- TVS Suzuki turn indicators (the plastic ones) - to be used on a daily basis since I dont want to damage the original ones.
- SWISS Indicator lens
- Original Suzuki AX100 indicator Lens (managed to get from the US)
- Original Suzuki AX100 Headlights (from the US)
- Original Suzuki AX100 side panels (plastic ones, red color - to be repainted)

The following parts need to be repaired.
  • Speedometer - Lights come on, but the speedo doesnt work.
  • Front/ Rear suspension - I dont know if its normal, but the bike feels very very low to me as if the suspension is sagging at both ends. Need to check them. Does any one know if the AX100 rear suspension is a spring or a hydraulic one?
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
With the monsoons due to arrive soon, I have postponed the AX100 restoration towards the end of the year. Until then I plan to collect parts that need replacement. So far have managed to source the following :

- TVS Suzuki turn indicators (the plastic ones) - to be used on a daily basis since I dont want to damage the original ones.
- SWISS Indicator lens
- Original Suzuki AX100 indicator Lens (managed to get from the US)
- Original Suzuki AX100 Headlights (from the US)
- Original Suzuki AX100 side panels (plastic ones, red color - to be repainted)

The following parts need to be repaired.
  • Speedometer - Lights come on, but the speedo doesnt work.
  • Front/ Rear suspension - I dont know if its normal, but the bike feels very very low to me as if the suspension is sagging at both ends. Need to check them. Does any one know if the AX100 rear suspension is a spring or a hydraulic one?
Not sure of international models, but Indian AXs all came with metallic side panels. It's possible to get plastic ones of the Max 100 for very cheap and brand new aftermarket, but it may be worth it to search for older metallic ones and then get them painted. The seat bushings are pretty unreliable on these and don't do well with the plastic side panels. Mine are still somehow holding together though.

Speedo mechanism is same as Max 100 & Samurai and any meter service person can work on it. But you have to find a person who does it (I found it surprisingly tricky).

Suspension height does feel a bit lower than an RX to me (I'm talking only about feel). But not too much. You sit "on" the Suzuki and the bike disappears under you, whereas you sit more "in" an RX and the bike feels a bit more substantial in size. But this is while riding. Park the two next to each other and the Suzuki somehow feels larger.

Try finding a Max 100 (Should be easy) with someone you know and sit on it and compare the heights to know for sure (Both are identical in dimensions)

Sometimes, the seat may be the reason why you feel it's too low. The padding might have gone with age or it must have been refurbished with a lower height as a goal.

http://oldraremotorcycles.blogspot.c..._4888.html?m=0

Here's someone who has scanned the entire manual of an AX 100 R and has a lot of manuals of other motorcycles too.

Mind you, the AX 100 R is not the same as the standard AX in some ways. (Block, Reed Valve, Manifold, Carburettor, has TVS-Suzuki badging rather than Ind-Suzuki ones, etc)

According to the manual, the rear suspension is "Swinging Arm, Hydraulic Shock Absorber with Coaxial Springs".

Hope it helps.

A.
Abhyjith K.A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:52   #40
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you very much for your response Abhyjith.

Yes, the Indian AX100's came with the metal side panels. Mine, however was changed to the plastic ones. I have managed to source the original AX100 panels (plastic ones), but am still on the lookout for the metal ones.
For the speedometer, yes, its the same as Max and Samurai - but since its the original speedometer - dont want someone to mess it up. Have a find someone who is confident enough to fix it and also honest enough to tell me if he is not able to.
For the height - you are right, it could well be the seat. The padding is completely gone - I will need to either change the seat or get new padding onto it.
The suspension too, looks like it is sagging - but it may be because of the springs or the hydraulics, I am not sure.

One more question Abhyjith - would you know the color code for the blue AX100. The Polestar Blue is the closest match to the AX100 Blue.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-xoom.png  

Old 23rd June 2023, 19:40   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much for your response Abhyjith.

Yes, the Indian AX100's came with the metal side panels. Mine, however was changed to the plastic ones. I have managed to source the original AX100 panels (plastic ones), but am still on the lookout for the metal ones.
For the speedometer, yes, its the same as Max and Samurai - but since its the original speedometer - dont want someone to mess it up. Have a find someone who is confident enough to fix it and also honest enough to tell me if he is not able to.
For the height - you are right, it could well be the seat. The padding is completely gone - I will need to either change the seat or get new padding onto it.
The suspension too, looks like it is sagging - but it may be because of the springs or the hydraulics, I am not sure.

One more question Abhyjith - would you know the color code for the blue AX100. The Polestar Blue is the closest match to the AX100 Blue.
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-screenshot_202306231915453.png

Unfortunately this extract from the website linked below is all I could find online so far for the colour.

https://suzukimotosgdl.com/refacciones/R_ax100.pdf

I think this may even be referring to another blue (The darker ultramarine type used on the AX still being sold brand new in countries like Argentina for example, but I'm not sure. It may be so).

Your best bet is to get your tank polished and then scanned to get the exact colour which can then be prepared. It's professional work, but will be well worth it for the sake of originality.

Not too sure on the polestar blue too tbh. The type of light blue our Indian AXs came with is highly characteristic of a more classic era. I can't for the life of me think of an example of anything modern with that same colour.

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-images-18.jpeg

(Picture sourced from Google)

I think the newest Wagon R blue may come a bit close, but it's just not the same. Scanning is best. Professional paint shops can help. The extra cost may well be worth it.

The older gentlemen who work on speedos will usually have a lot experience with these things. So it doesn't matter much. They've been working on speedos for a lot of their life after all. Just the old aesthetics of the dial is what's important to preserve. The mechanism itself can be serviced pretty easily by these chaps once they're found.

Front suspension may be a bit trickier, but rear suspension is same as Max 100. Gabriel units. Can be sourced new too online I guess.

I had a crash on my Max 100 on the highway once and the front forks were bent badly, but my mechanic had no trouble whatsoever getting them back to fresh. Parts are easy to find. But AX front forks are different. But a rebuild can be done if the mechanic in question can find spares like seals and stuff.

Hope your motorcycle shines like it was always meant to.

A.

Last edited by Abhyjith K.A : 23rd June 2023 at 19:41.
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:50   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhyjith K.A View Post
Front suspension may be a bit trickier, but rear suspension is same as Max 100. Gabriel units. Can be sourced new too online I guess.

I had a crash on my Max 100 on the highway once and the front forks were bent badly, but my mechanic had no trouble whatsoever getting them back to fresh. Parts are easy to find. But AX front forks are different. But a rebuild can be done if the mechanic in question can find spares like seals and stuff.

Hope your motorcycle shines like it was always meant to.

A.
Small correction here. Rear suspension is different as well. Small confusion. I guess that complicates things a bit more. If you find trouble finding the spares, I'd suggest replacing the suspension with Max 100 ones and ride the bike as it is till you manage to repair the suspension or replace them with original parts. Other than that, I hope somebody more knowledgeable on this will contribute.

A.
Old 24th June 2023, 07:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea about Mumbai, but you can probably ask Nikhil (beemerbug_06) about a competent meter shop. Since he works on so many cars he might have an idea/know someone who would know who to go to. In case you're travelling to Bangalore any time soon, I can recommend Khan Meter Service on Tilak Nagar Main Road, have used his services to bring my Max100's meter to life, and can vouch for the good work done since it's been running well since then (been 2 years now).

As for the seat: get the seat changed or a completely new foam on the existing seat base. Don't try to fix the existing foam by adding new foam on the top and sides, it doesn't work no matter how much the mechanic tries to convince you. I've done that thrice now, and it has absolutely zero effect other than looking nice
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 11:13   #44
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Abhyjith, you are a star!! Although i am not able to figure out the color from that table. This is the 1985 Suzuki paint code i got from my brother and i think the Iceland Blue Metallic seems like the right color. But as you said, it would be best to do a color matching than go with this code.
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230623wa0009.jpg

The problem with matching the tank is that I feel that the tank was repainted with a different shade. The fork covers I believe have not been painted. So i am confused which is the original shade. I tried searching for old advertisements , but almost all of them show a red Ind Suzuki AX100.
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230506173044.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230305134429.jpg

The rear suspension, yes, it's a hydraulic kind of a suspension and needs to be checked properly. The reason why I don't want to change it is because the bike will lose its originality. There are a few parts which distinguish the Ind Suzuki AX100 from other bikes and even from the later AX100 - and I wouldn't want to do that. But if there is no other option, then there is no option.

Thanks Boniver for the contact, i will connect with Nikhil. I have found one person who said he can fix the speedo - he owns a AX100 too in his hometown. So let's see, hoping for the best. The seat will definitely be either new (very low chance of getting a new one) or will be completely repadded.

Here are some photos of the bike in its current condition.

This is a plastic side cover - although the original one is a metal one.
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230225112426.jpg

Aluminium switch gear
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092125.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092110.jpg

The Speedometer calibrated in mph
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092104.jpg

All Japanese parts
My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092050.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092044.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092028.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214092001.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230214091951.jpg

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-img20230213233206.jpg
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 09:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Just saw this on a WhatsApp group and was reminded of you. You can talk to him and give it a shot.

PS: I have no commercial interest whatsoever

My 1984 Ind Suzuki AX100 restoration and everything about this motorcycle-screenshot_20230625092727__01.jpg

Quote:
The problem with matching the tank is that I feel that the tank was repainted with a different shade. The fork covers I believe have not been painted. So i am confused which is the original shade. I tried searching for old advertisements , but almost all of them show a red Ind Suzuki AX100.
The side panels and the tank are of a different shade right? I think the side panels are of the original colour. I might be having pictures of blue AX100s, if I find some I'll post them here later.

Quote:
The seat will definitely be either new (very low chance of getting a new one) or will be completely repadded.
New seats/foams do come up for sale now and then. Even back home in WB, when I wanted to get a supra style seat made with a samurai foam, I placed an order at a local shop and he messed up the order and got a max100 seat for me (brand new). So these are still available, albeit non OEM of course. If I see any new leads I'll let you know.

Last edited by boniver : 25th June 2023 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks