Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 12:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
...First, the major issue... HORRIBLE RIDE QUALITY
This is very disheartening to read and I do feel sorry how this episode has turned out for you.

I had taken a test ride of the SX 250 and wasn't happy at all with the ride quality. I essentially took it for about all of 15 minutes and came back dissatisfied. It could be that my other vehicles have spoilt me, who knows.

Regardless, may I recommend, list out the options in front of you, some of them could include -
- Sell at whatever best price you can to a buyer who is genuinely happy with it.
- Change mechanical parts, mainly the rear suspension I'm guessing, with your own money and genuinely enjoy the motorcycle. @Sebring's comment on AOM upgrading to the Himalayan's suspension sounds like something to seriously look into. Might just be the game changer for you.

I am not too mechanically (or electrically for that matter) inclined, so I don't have any good suggestion except a philosophical one - be positive and move forward
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 17:20   #17
BANNED

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
This is very disheartening to read and I do feel sorry how this episode has turned out for you.

I had taken a test ride of the SX 250 and wasn't happy at all with the ride quality. I essentially took it for about all of 15 minutes and came back dissatisfied. It could be that my other vehicles have spoilt me, who knows.

Regardless, may I recommend, list out the options in front of you, some of them could include -
- Sell at whatever best price you can to a buyer who is genuinely happy with it.
- Change mechanical parts, mainly the rear suspension I'm guessing, with your own money and genuinely enjoy the motorcycle. @Sebring's comment on AOM upgrading to the Himalayan's suspension sounds like something to seriously look into. Might just be the game changer for you.
It is just that the expectations have to be right. The bike is not DR250, it is VStrom SX 250, a brand known for being an allround-tourer than an off-roader. But many including moto journos got this wrong and were expecting an all out offroader.

I ride my VStrom 15-20 kms everyday in bangalore. The comfort and ride quality are outstanding, for both rider and pillion.

It is so comfortable that we stopped using our car, Ritz and are using the VStrom almost 90% of the time. This was not the case with my previous bikes, Gixxer and Pulsar.

If you want to thrash your motorcycle over potholes at high speeds, without even standing up on foot pegs, this is not the motorcycle for you. This is an ADV Tourer and not an enduro.

If you can ride at a decent speed or stand up on the footpegs on pot hole ridden roads then this bike can work wonders for you as it is a more complete motorcycle for the money with excellent performance, comfort, touring readiness, tractability and decent soft roading capabilities which 95% of people will be doing. And I am plenty happy with mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-img_20230321_174525.jpg  

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 21st March 2023 at 17:46.
tarmacnaut is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
1) the preload to minimum try that
2) Reduce tyre pressure may be 2 psi
3) check the chain tension lube it with gear oil as I have found that in Vstrom if chain is loose it makes a lot of noise/rattle
4) check the chain guide rubber on top of swingarm
5) check swing arm bushes

One more suggestion is in bad patches like the clip try standing up on pegs(saddling), take the bumps through your legs that will make you more comfortable . I am no expert in offroading, but thats what I do in bad patches, people with more experience please pitch in if wrong.
Tried out points 1, 2 and 3 early on. They don't do anything for the root cause. Will get 4 and 5 checked out when I have the chance.

You're right. It's usually good practice to stand up over bad patches depending on the bike, the surface, and the speeds.

But this bike should not get so bent out of shape over such mild bumps and shallow ditches at such tame speeds as captured in the clips to warrant standing up. I've put my old roadbike through the same kind of stuff while sitting down without issues.

You can clearly see in the slow motion clips that the suspension on both ends are not even close to bottoming out and there's plenty of ground clearance for those kinds of surfaces. Yet, there's a thudding and sharp feedback from the rear, which is abnormal.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- I was lucky in this regard as the workshop manager(Mr. Murali) at Bharath TVS Bengaluru took ownership despite being swamped with work and asked me to leave the bike for 3 days.... Unless someone rides the same bike regularly it will be difficult for them to even identify the issue and that's the most difficult part even in your case.
But your videos should help a lot in diagnosis.
Wish I had a Mr. Murali around here to look into my troubles. Hopefully, I can get something done about this soon though.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Change mechanical parts, mainly the rear suspension I'm guessing, with your own money and genuinely enjoy the motorcycle. @Sebring's comment on AOM upgrading to the Himalayan's suspension sounds like something to seriously look into. Might just be the game changer for you.
How I wish the fix was that easy. If the issue was easy to identify, I would've done that. But it's been a painfully slow trial and error approach so far.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 21st March 2023 at 19:02.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:53   #19
BHPian

I really feel for your troubles. Getting a new motorcycle always comes with an expectation of a long trouble-free ownership and happy times and when it's not fulfilled, it is truly painful. Must admit at the outset that I am no expert in the mechanical workings of a bike, however from my experience I would like to know a few things and give some suggestions.

1. Does the ride harshness remain while riding with a pillion, or is it drastically better?

2. Is there any chance you can swap the tyres? From the issues it seems that a faulty hard tyre can cause all the above issues and if it is so, it is one of the easiest fixes. It is even more of a possibility, since you said that rear grip is inconsistent.

3. It seems the issue of pulling left is due to a bent T of the handle, resulting from the fall. Would advise you to get it replaced ASAP before it starts wearing out the front tyre unvenly, making your troubled ownership even more unplesant. Get it replaced and under no circumstance try to repair it.

4. Regarding the starter issue, just get a can of WD40 and give a good spray, as close as possible inside and around the switch. Should be an easy fix.

5. Regarding the scratchiness, which may be from the engine, get the injector cleaned, change the air and oil filter and use full-synthetic engine oil of recommended grade from Motul or Liqui Moly, and get your bike tuned at the ASC. This may also resolve the jerky/ low speed throttle cut-offs you mentioned.

My humble advice would be, be patient, try out everything possible and consider selling it only and only is all else fails.

However, I do hope that some suggestions of this forum irons out all your issues and you and Limca have a long pleasant friendship going forward.
Ritkon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
But this bike should not get so bent out of shape over such mild bumps and shallow ditches at such tame speeds as captured in the clips to warrant standing up. I've put my old roadbike through the same kind of stuff while sitting down without issues.
Off roaders have softer suspensions, leading to better rides in rough conditions, but suffer handling problems on road. This makes the V-strom 250 more a tourer.

The problems you encountered were already anticipated by myself, seen in my review where I put a rally kit, with softer suspension, on my wish list. This would make the bike more geared to off road usage, against the present configuration, which reflects an 80:20 one, with a bias towards on road.

I appreciate two features that make my bike suitable for my usage: the high ground clearance, and the big front wheel. There was an incident where traffic policemen diverted me on to the pavement(!), and getting down with a normal bike would have left it like a beached whale, with the frame resting on the pavement edge. The second incident was when I suddenly encountered a dug up road (very common nowadays!) and I sailed through, while scooters, and even other motorcycles, had to panic brake and turn back. The expressions on the face of the workers digging the road as I sailed past was priceless! While test riding the bike, with me on pillion, my friend had to get on to the soft shoulder at high speed. He said that it would have been hard, if not impossible, on his 150 commuter.

I agree the suspension is nowhere as good as the Xpulse, which has the even better rally kit as an option, but, that bike, as others have observed, is not too suited for touring. P'raps you were expecting to do a lot of mud plugging and throwing around, like the Impulse you have, with this bike. It's just horses for courses, I think, with this bike better geared for touring.Of course, YMMV.

My one gripe is not bike related: yet to receive my yellow jacket.

Last edited by proton : 22nd March 2023 at 14:09.
proton is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

You have summed up a regular day with VSTROM 250 very well. I wonder if Xpulse suspension can be fitted to this bike? Someone fixed those on his 390 Adv
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
I appreciate two features that make my bike suitable for my usage: the high ground clearance, and the big front wheel. There was an incident where traffic policemen diverted me on to the pavement(!), and getting down with a normal bike would have left it like a beached whale, with the frame resting on the pavement edge. The second incident was when I suddenly encountered a dug up road (very common nowadays!) and I sailed through, while scooters, and even other motorcycles, had to panic brake and turn back. The expressions on the face of the workers digging the road as I sailed past was priceless! While test riding the bike, with me on pillion, my friend had to get on to the soft shoulder at high speed. He said that it would have been hard, if not impossible, on his 150 commuter.
Old 22nd March 2023, 16:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritkon View Post
1. Does the ride harshness remain while riding with a pillion, or is it drastically better?
Yes, it seems a bit better, but it is not related to the problem at hand because even the pillions complained of harsh ride quality.

2. Is there any chance you can swap the tyres? From the issues it seems that a faulty hard tyre can cause all the above issues and if it is so, it is one of the easiest fixes. It is even more of a possibility, since you said that rear grip is inconsistent.
The bike sometimes briefly works well like there's no issues. If it were the tyres, the issue would be consistent wouldn't it?

3. It seems the issue of pulling left is due to a bent T of the handle, resulting from the fall. Would advise you to get it replaced ASAP before it starts wearing out the front tyre unvenly, making your troubled ownership even more unplesant. Get it replaced and under no circumstance try to repair it.

I hope that's not the case. The bike fell at standstill. I'd be horrified if Suzuki made an adventure bike T-stem with materials soft enough to not withstand a simple fall. The technician also diagnosed it as just a case of a suspension leg twisted in position. Will get it checked out once again when I have the chance, and also for the possibility you mentioned just in case.

4. Regarding the starter issue, just get a can of WD40 and give a good spray, as close as possible inside and around the switch. Should be an easy fix.
Will try.

5. Regarding the scratchiness, which may be from the engine, get the injector cleaned, change the air and oil filter and use full-synthetic engine oil of recommended grade from Motul or Liqui Moly, and get your bike tuned at the ASC. This may also resolve the jerky/ low speed throttle cut-offs you mentioned.
I can hopefully get this looked into by as well.

My humble advice would be, be patient, try out everything possible and consider selling it only and only is all else fails.
Yes, my plate is full at the moment, but whenever I've had the time, I've been troubleshooting this thing. Hopefully I can get it fixed so that, at the very least, even if I may not end up keeping it, whoever may buy it from me doesn't get put through the wringer like me.
Responses in bold.

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Off roaders have softer suspensions, leading to better rides in rough conditions, but suffer handling problems on road. This makes the V-strom 250 more a tourer.

The problems you encountered were already anticipated by myself..

I agree the suspension is nowhere as good as the Xpulse, which has the even better rally kit as an option, but, that bike, as others have observed, is not too suited for touring. P'raps you were expecting to do a lot of mud plugging and throwing around, like the Impulse you have, with this bike. It's just horses for courses, I think, with this bike better geared for touring.Of course, YMMV.
Unfortunately not a case of bloated expectations. I went in knowing full well this would only be a roadbike+. I've mentioned this already in one of the earlier posts on this thread. I've also noted the same in the general vstrom thread prior to purchase. The ride quality I'm having with this is not even on par with my old roadbike.

Quote:
I appreciate two features that make my bike suitable for my usage: the high ground clearance, and the big front wheel. There was an incident where traffic policemen diverted me on to the pavement(!) ... suddenly encountered a dug up road (very common nowadays!) and I sailed through, while scooters, and even other motorcycles, had to panic brake and turn back.
You may observe in one of the clips I've captured that what I rode on was indeed a dug up road and the bike kept making strange noises and throwing me up.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 22nd March 2023 at 16:28.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 16:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

drt_rdr, your review and feedback comes as a genuine stunner. Definitely can help future V-Strom owners get the other side of the face perspective. But I wish you good luck in getting your issues rectified and enjoying the motorcycle for what it is.

Prologue..

Matter of fact, when I wanted to upgrade to a cross-ADV, being an ex-Himalayan owner, lo and behold after selling the bike at less than 9k on the odo, nothing in the current Indian pseudo-ADV market satiated me as much as the V-Strom 250 did. The ADV 250 didn't cut it for me, the 390 was a glorified ADV 250. I was looking for something long term, something that would be there for every moment, every time, play a pop with the keys, swing a leg over and forget about everything.

Sadly, the best of the so called ADVs, neither the xPulse nor the Himalayan flattered me much. The ADV 250 was an excellent contender, but again leaves a lot in terms of quality, yet again, just didn't excite my senses be it ownership nor the long term viability.

A few months of soliloquy, realizing my actual requirements rather than glorified needs, a couple brain storming sessions later... this..

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-20230227_153005.jpg

Quote:
It is just that the expectations have to be right. The bike is not DR250, it is VStrom SX 250, a brand known for being an allround-tourer than an off-roader. But many including moto journos got this wrong and were expecting an all out offroader.

I ride my VStrom 15-20 kms everyday in bangalore. The comfort and ride quality are outstanding, for both rider and pillion.

It is so comfortable that we stopped using our car, Ritz and are using the VStrom almost 90% of the time. This was not the case with my previous bikes, Gixxer and Pulsar.

If you want to thrash your motorcycle over potholes at high speeds, without even standing up on foot pegs, this is not the motorcycle for you. This is an ADV Tourer and not an enduro. If you can ride at a decent speed or stand up on the footpegs on pot hole ridden roads then this bike can work wonders for you as it is a more complete motorcycle for the money with excellent performance, comfort, touring readiness, tractability and decent soft roading capabilities which 95% of people will be doing. And I am plenty happy with mine.
tarmacnut's say on this one. This definitely isn't the superomoto-ish DR250/DRZ250 that can take all the thrashing like you're expecting it to, which in any case this wouldn't be happy to, but that doesn't meant the SX wouldn't oblige. The rear suspension is hard yes, but definitely not jarring, settles to its own rhythm with a pillion, unlike the Himalayan's noodle of a chassis where the rear always wants to step out.

Where I live, the V-Strom is doing its job exceptionally well and for now pretty much happy with everything the Strom has to offer.

It's an exceptional jack of all trades and master of none pseudo ADV and it definitely excels in that, and personally I'd love a bike that does it all, rather than being a master in one and screwing up rest of the crucial aspects, like the Himalayan and xPulse.

One has to feel the quality the V-Strom offers vis-a-vis the Himalayan, xPulse and the Yezdi Adventure. The Himalayan's rubbish chassis and overall quality, the xPulse's garbage of an engine, the Yezdi Adventure's crude fit, finish and snatchy engine. When you ponder over all these things for the dough they demand, you pay a wee higher for the V-Strom, but in my opinion it definitely warrants the command it deserves.

As Schumi clearly said, V-Strom is what motorcyclists prefer, bikers prefer the rest. IMHO

I do have a detailed write-up of my ownership of the V-Strom brewing, will log that as and when I get the time.

Outro..

For now, here's a few..

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-1.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-2.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-3.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-4.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-5.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX | Horrible riding and ownership experience | Weathering the Strom-6.jpg

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 22nd March 2023 at 16:59.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 17:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
drt_rdr, your review and feedback comes as a genuine stunner. Definitely can help future V-Strom owners get the other side of the face perspective. But I wish you good luck in getting your issues rectified and enjoying the motorcycle for what it is.
I certainly do not mean to discourage people from buying a vstrom, and my case is probably an outlier as far as manufacturing quality is concerned.

I suppose the main take-away from my thread should be the lacking nature of the service with Suzuki - be prepared to do your homework if you're unlucky enough to run into any major issues, which was also accented by user PreethamNag's account of him and his friends' unfortunate experiences with the SvCs.

I myself was anticipating middling to sub-par service experience, but was counting on Suzuki's bikes being put together well enough at the factory that I wouldn't have to depend on their service for anything other than the basic warranty upkeep. Unfortunate turn of events for me however.

----

Anyway, thank you all for the responses, feedback, and wishes. I wish you all a happy Ugadi and good times with your own vstroms.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 22nd March 2023 at 17:59.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, all. I bought a new Suzuki V-Strom SX 250 a bit over 5 months ago.

First, the major issue... HORRIBLE RIDE QUALITY
Hi drt_rdr. Went through your posts. What I gather from it are three issues
  1. Stiff Ride Quality especially from rear suspension
  2. PDI issue of loose fork clamp
  3. Unenthusiastic dealer support

Before I say anything, I want to share my experience of riding Vstorm 250.
First at it's launch event in Valley Of Wheels Jaipur where a track was prepared. In that while coming down from a mud hill the rear suspension slapped me back and I was literally shocked at the tuning. Please note it was at slow speed
Second one when I took a test ride on an open road and a bit of loose sand patches where road was dug up. During this time, I didn't find the ride quality as stiff, because I was at higher speed and I was saddling.

Now coming to your first problem. I see from your videos that you are sitting on bike and you mention that rear suspension is working lesser in comparison to front.
* This is normal as front suspension usually has longer travel than rear and is more supple than rear. Reason being less weight and stress on front.
* Have you done the same test on a higher speed and saddling on the same patch? Do you find improvement in ride quality / behaviour?

PDI issue - You found the issue and you have fixed it to a certain extent. If you are not happy go to a FNG, explain your problem and get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Unenthusiastic dealer support - Since you have mentioned that you have ridden other bikes and you find the issue in your bike that too inconsistently, then there is only one way of solving this. Try to get another Vstorm 250 from friend circle. Ride them back to back and try to pinpoint the issue with the help of service center mechanic, your riding buddy or FNG guy.
Sometimes we are not able to explain or pinpoint the problem, but a side by side comparison helps a lot. But you will have to be patient on this. Like I said if your are not happy with the dealer, go to another dealer, FNG who are willing to work with you to solve the problem.

Since we can't ride your bike, these are the best approaches IMO, however please do understand that this bike is stiffly sprung and even at softest setting of rear suspension you will find it stiffer than other bikes.
However, the behaviour of two Vstorm 250s should be same, on the same rough patch, same speed, same rider.

Good luck and enjoy your bike, don't be heartbroken

Last edited by PraNeel : 22nd March 2023 at 18:46.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:56   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post

One has to feel the quality the V-Strom offers vis-a-vis the Himalayan, xPulse and the Yezdi Adventure. The Himalayan's rubbish chassis and overall quality, the xPulse's garbage of an engine, the Yezdi Adventure's crude fit, finish and snatchy engine. When you ponder over all these things for the dough they demand, you pay a wee higher for the V-Strom, but in my opinion it definitely warrants the command it deserves.
Hi Vijay
Don't you think the above statement is little too harsh? Each bike has it's weak points and one buys what he / she thinks is best according to their criteria and circumstances.
If Vstrom is the holy grail of 250ADV segment, then it would have been flying off the shelves and why Suzuki is forced to give discount and freebies on it?
Product, Service and Price combination makes a product click. How good the combo is left to manufacturer.
Glad you are enjoying your bike. Waiting for your review. Cheers
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Hi Vijay
Don't you think the above statement is little too harsh? Each bike has it's weak points and one buys what he / she thinks is best according to their criteria and circumstances. If Vstrom is the holy grail of 250ADV segment, then it would have been flying off the shelves and why Suzuki is forced to give discount and freebies on it? Product, Service and Price combination makes a product click.
Agreed, each bike may or may not suit every person or even a certain type of people and is honestly down to personal choice. It is, in the end what resonates with you. Shumi also says throw the spec sheet in the garbage and go ride the motorcycle you wish to purchase, and if it connects with your heart, its the one. I recently rode a dominar UG and in all honesty, as fast and exciting the domi was, I still would have picked the Himalayan (These were the two primary contenders when I was making that decision).

Plus its also a very dealer oriented issue, Hero and RE and a truckload of dealers across the country wherein you can pick and choose when it comes to finding the right dealer for you. In addition, as these bikes have been around for a while, most issues are known and sorted (Incl the chassis issuse AFAIK, because RE changed a lot of stuff in the BS6 bikes, which also made the weight shoot up unfortunately). Small niggles do arise, but even local mechanics can take care of it and parts are available by the dozen across sources. This is probably why the Vstrom is taking time to catch up, but in terms of a solid product, most reviews do advocate the same and it does look the part as well.

@drt_rdr, have you tried reaching out to other dealers in the area or good workshops? Maybe you will find some sort of heed there
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:10   #28
BHPian

I agree the suspension is stuff and not meant to take rough, potholed roads at all, slow or fast. I would say this is a Gixxer 250 on stilts with an ability to go on some trails if any. My test ride had me smiling all the way as I accelerated to 10500 rpm on that slick 6 speed gearbox, same thing that I enjoyed on the Gixxer 250SF. In comparison the gixxer felt better sprung than the V250 on city roads. If you are extremely unhappy then time to move on probably.
The 390 Adventure is probably an underrated motorcycle with what I felt were rather harsh comments on the suspension stiffness. It's certainly not an overglorified 250. It's there, yes. But can you improve it? Definitely! The test ride bike had the rear shock adjusted a couple of units down and it was just right. I test rode it for 20 km on all conditions and myself being a Himalayan owner was grinning end to end after the test ride. The instant acceleration, the ability to take potholes well and yet not bounce around at 80+ while taking a corner blew me away, apart from the electronics. The light clutch and smooth gearbox are excellent, the quickshifter being a little gimmicky, worked well at 4000 rpm apart from 1st to 2nd. Downshifts, 6-5-4-3 is the best to use. Braking wise too It's good. The front brakes provide excellent bite while the rear had an issue, probably due to previous riders using too much of rear brakes. The seat too, felt great! I do not have touring seats on my Himalayan and these felt like a softened bench. The mirrors though were the same story. They are very small, get buzzy post 80 kmph. The gear shifter though was very near to the engine and kept fouling with my shoes, had to get adjusted to it. The tyres (Metzeler Tourance) are great and provide ample grip.
This might be the upgrade I'm looking for over my underpowered dirt bike Himmy!
100Kmphormore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I just ran into this video and from what is mentioned I can see that your experience matches to a great extent but what I can also see is a mismatch of expectations between what you wanted and what the bike is capable of. I suggest a calm and dispassionate watch of this video with a cup of tea/coffee :
Credits to Providers :
YouTube : MotorInc
Well, In 50-odd years I've never learned to like avocados, and have generally preferred vehicles that just felt "right" even when I was inexperienced with them. Furthermore a pricey-enough V-Strom without a V-engine is rather curious and should be considered highly suspect to begin with. A pity.

That said I can sympathize just a bit with the ASC staff, as intermittent and not-clearly-defined issues are indeed the toughest to resolve, if possible to at all. It's a fair point that if you took other 'Stroms over the same patches you've managed to observe the issue(s), you might find similar. The suspension is not considered this model's strong point.

If you want to stick it out a bit I'd think a lighter rear tyre might help considerably. Just his noting that the MRF's are heavy and affect ride quality, also watching your slo-mo's, it looks as though the swingarm "overshoots" considerably. Reducing unsprung weight is generally a good thing to do when suspensions start feeling skittish.

BTW I too have a slightly modded Impulse, it's pretty sick with the alloy 21" front wheel... Not by any means the best offroad/dual-sport bike I've ever ridden (that would go to a modded XR200R), but it holds its own over the rough stuff, feels fairly flickable and unstressed, though even there I'd call the rear suspension stiffer (and seat narrower/ far less comfy) than I'd like.

Oh, and it's slow.

Compromises everywhere.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 22nd March 2023 at 20:29.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Hi Vijay
Don't you think the above statement is little too harsh? Each bike has it's weak points and one buys what he / she thinks is best according to their criteria and circumstances.
If Vstrom is the holy grail of 250ADV segment, then it would have been flying off the shelves and why Suzuki is forced to give discount and freebies on it?
Product, Service and Price combination makes a product click. How good the combo is left to manufacturer.
Glad you are enjoying your bike. Waiting for your review. Cheers
Hey Praneel! What if the entire bike is a weak point. Sarcasm apart I would humbly digress with your statement considering it's harsh. It isn't Praneel, here's why..

To your point

Quote:
Each bike has it's weak points and one buys what he / she thinks is best according to their criteria and circumstances.
This I wholeheartedly agree. Everyone's preference and ulterior decision is unique to his/her needs. Would like to add that, I've never mentioned the V-Strom as the Holy Grail, never will I attest to that nor was it my intention. If you've missed it, I've clearly said it's a bike that's a jack of all trades, yet a master of none. It doesn't pretend to be what it's not. Unfortunately, it's being starkly silhouetted by the other pseudo ADVs that's marginally cheaper and therein lies the conundrum.

Another aspect of me choosing this over others is owing to the discount offered by Suzuki, it's definitely a compelling one, but that doesn't mean it's a product that's designed to fail or designed to be mediocre. Being a Himalayan and having had enough saddle time on the xPulse, the term "garbage" might be tall and I might attract some scoff and I don't mind, but having owned, ridden, felt them for what they are, I can humbly say, I am at least aware of the shortcomings of each of these motorcycles, especially when compared on an apples to apples basis be it short term and long term. Add to it my peculiar OCD for attention to detail.

Yes, the V Strom has its flaws i.e. chinks in its armor, cost cutting visible, but nothing that would make me lose my night's sleep. As an overall package, quality, fit, finish, it's an exceptionally balanced motorcycle.. or for a lack of a better term, adequately nutritious.

The reason it didn't fly off the shelf is primarily due to its messed up VFM perspective. Was it overpriced? Heck yes. Is it over-priced after the discount? Heck no! Why is it still not selling? Most aren't consciously aware of their immediate needs versus glorified choices, only to regret it later or better perhaps common sense might have prevailed.

Quote:
I certainly do not mean to discourage people from buying a vstrom, and my case is probably an outlier as far as manufacturing quality is concerned...................Unfortunate turn of events for me however.

Anyway, thank you all for the responses, feedback, and wishes. I wish you all a happy Ugadi and good times with your own vstroms.
I totally hear you drt_rdr, I sincerely wish all goes smooth and your Strom helps iron out the rough patch you're currently traversing in. Don't worry, I have a feeling everything will settle in place.

Once again, good luck to you and a very happy Ugadi to you and the Strom family.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed