Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 09:52   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 220

Hi Guys,

I just brought a brand new Pulsar 220 pn 11/7/2007. Its still not registered and hence I have not driven it much. I have a small query for the bike. I wanted to know how whether it is possible to get K&N Filter for this bike. ALso I wanted to change the rubber from the stock MRF to Michelin tyres. Can any one suggest me anything.
Old 16th July 2007, 10:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

First things first. Give us the preview & pics. Then, we'll talk about alterations.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:24   #3
BHPian

i agree with veyron, post the pics mate...
Old 16th July 2007, 12:33   #4
BHPian

same here pics buddy.
changing rubber would be fine but K&N on a new engine...... advise is to wait for the first service then do the ungli chali.
Old 16th July 2007, 12:39   #5
BHPian

i agree with veyron, post the pics mate...
Old 16th July 2007, 12:59   #6
BHPian

Do we get Tubeless Michelins here? I know that we do get Michelins and Pirellis in the Karizma tyre sizes, but are these tubeless? I believe the stock/OE MRFs are tubeless.

Superavi
Old 16th July 2007, 13:31   #7
BANNED

Mich M-45 is available in both tube and tubless, K&N sucks for bikes try Uni you wont regreat with proper jetting.
Wait till 2000k then do airfilter n all.
Old 16th July 2007, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz
try Uni you wont regreat with proper jetting.
"Jetting"..? Hain? Bhai, this is FI, remember? Fuel injected. No carb. No jetting.

K&N is not advisable, as the engine is new, & we don't know the Bajaj FI system (number of sensors, injector/ignition control), or how the CDI/ mapping works. Therefore, we cannot predict what the performance gains would be.

I'd suggest you to wait for a couple of months for the actual reports/specs to come out, & then gun for mods. Keep one thing in mind. This is a 220cc single cylinder, FI, oil-cooled powerplant. Bajaj has already squeezed out as much as possible & reliability is an issue, even in new bikes...
Old 16th July 2007, 14:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
ALso I wanted to change the rubber from the stock MRF to Michelin tyres.
Michelin's aren't available in 17" tyre size, best bet for you would be tubeless duro's. However they are strictly city tyres, so don't get them if you are planning to do any off road riding.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:33   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
"Jetting"..? Hain? Bhai, this is FI, remember? Fuel injected. No carb. No jetting.

K&N is not advisable, as the engine is new, & we don't know the Bajaj FI system (number of sensors, injector/ignition control), or how the CDI/ mapping works. Therefore, we cannot predict what the performance gains would be.

I'd suggest you to wait for a couple of months for the actual reports/specs to come out, & then gun for mods. Keep one thing in mind. This is a 220cc single cylinder, FI, oil-cooled powerplant. Bajaj has already squeezed out as much as possible & reliability is an issue, even in new bikes...
Also, you dont want them to dishonour any warranty claims cause of the k&n. MY suggestion is to wait for a while before doing any mods. P220 is still a new bike.

However, you have yourself the best out there, and we are all waiting for the pics!
Old 16th July 2007, 15:10   #11
BHPian

what is the craze with the pics when the bike is the same we have seen in mags/tv!
anyways, there is a p220 owner in pune who is using a k&n on his bike. the prob is that (as per him), the warnin light on the console comes up sometimes when he accelerates hard. i think the sensor does sense the extra amt of air being sucked in.
there shdnt be any harm as the sensors will adjust to the extra flow themselves.
When FI bikes/cars go to hills, the air becomes thin but the vehicles doesnt face any issues while operating coz the sensor adjust. Likewise, even with a k&n on, the sensors shall adjust.

as for tyres, you may have only one option : duros
Old 17th July 2007, 00:07   #12
BHPian

if you have patience Pirelli tire is setting up its office here in India... in other words it will be easily aviable by end of the year.

@bunny :- is the F.I system working well on p220? if you are aware of it...

Last edited by nosfreak : 17th July 2007 at 00:08.
Old 17th July 2007, 03:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

@bunny; We all have seen the bike, but that's besides the point. As a forum, we encourage our members to be enthusiastic & forthcoming with respect to their wheels. Whether it be an M80 or a Fireblade.

Also, if, as you say, a warning light pops up when the 220 with K&N is being revved hard, it means that the mixture is running lean at WOT. Now that's something that you don't want to happen.

Bajaj must have caliberated the AFR to run as efficient as possible in the DTS-FI. Therefore, tweaks aren't advisable. Not unless you fiddle with the electricals as well. And all for what? 0.5-1 bhp? The 220 cannot crank out 25 bhp. Not with a 2 valve head or a single cylinder anyway.

Kailash, wait for the first couple of services, and enjoy your bike. Do not tinker around, except for the tyres. Fiddling with carbs are easier. Don't risk the FI.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:59   #14
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys. I will upload some pictures of the bike by today evening when I return from the RTO for registration. I have purchased the Titanium Silver Pulsar.

I had a talk with the service personal over the K & N filter and they have suggested against it. They idea that they give is that ECU of the bike is connected to the Air filter element so as to provide information when it is clogged with dust. Hence on changing the air filter to K&N will have adverse effect on the bike's electricals. As far as the Michelins concerned, I am planning to upsize the tyres to probably 160/70 17 available at Dream Sporting Gear shops in Pune. I am not so sure whether it will fit directly or will there be any modification that have to be done. If there are any mods required then I am living with these MRF Zappers.

I am looking for Prakash Kunthe's Number from Pune, the same person who mods bikes into replicas. Can any one help me.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 17th July 2007, 12:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I had a talk with the service personal over the K & N filter and they have suggested against it. They idea that they give is that ECU of the bike is connected to the Air filter element so as to provide information when it is clogged with dust. Hence on changing the air filter to K&N will have adverse effect on the bike's electricals. As far as the Michelins concerned, I am planning to upsize the tyres to probably 160/70 17 available at Dream Sporting Gear shops in Pune. I am not so sure whether it will fit directly or will there be any modification that have to be done. If there are any mods required then I am living with these MRF Zappers.

160/70 17??? Dont you think thats a bit oversized?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks