Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:41   #1
BHPian

RC book lost, original owner passed away

My wife has a 2016 TVS Wego. Bike is registered under her mom's name. Her mom passed away in 2019. Unfortunately, my wife has lost her wallet last week. Wallet has RC in it. I've enquired a broker on getting the duplicate RC and ownership change from my MIL to my wife. He told me a very lengthy procedure that we need to give a paper ad that the mother has passed away. Pay some fine for the delay. Make an affidavit etc.

1. Any simpler procedure to get a duplicate RC ?
2. Is the ownership change correct or is the broker taking me for a ride for extra bucks ?

TIA.
TorqueSteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:55   #2
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: RC book lost, original owner passed away

Yes. The legal procedure is long. Your wife has to be your mother-in-law"s successor by will. If will is not there, you need to get a succession certificate via court Or legal heir certificate via taluk office. The succession certificate involves placing an ad in the paper which the court does. This is the legal way.
rajeevsulu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 09:02   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: RC book lost, original owner passed away

While you get your duplicate RC, download the mParivahan app & add your vehicle out there. You'll see a digital RC which every traffic constable has to accept as the original.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 11:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSteer View Post
He told me a very lengthy procedure that we need to give a paper ad that the mother has passed away. Pay some fine for the delay. Make an affidavit etc.
2. Is the ownership change correct or is the broker taking me for a ride for extra bucks ?
That's the correct procedure. Ownership transfer to the nominee or legal heir should be done within few months (couldn't recall the exact numbers) immediately after the owner passed away. Be informed, it can only be transferred to the nominee or legal heir.

Quote:
Possible, but illegal. Let's not encourage the same.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Faceless duplicate RC can be applied via the parivahan portal.
Name:  faceless.png
Views: 926
Size:  23.2 KB

However, it will ask you for FIR details.

Detailed procedure can be found in this YouTube video:
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
My wife has a 2016 TVS Wego. Bike is registered under her mom's name. Her mom passed away in 2019. Unfortunately, my wife has lost her wallet last week. Wallet has RC in it. I've enquired a broker on getting the duplicate RC and ownership change from my MIL to my wife. He told me a very lengthy procedure that we need to give a paper ad that the mother has passed away. Pay some fine for the delay. Make an affidavit etc.

TIA.
My sister lost her DL when someone stole her purse on the Metro. It was a simple procedure to get a duplicate DL
1. Karnataka police allows to file complaint online ,so I just filled in the details and took a copy of it.
2. Went to Parivahan portal, keyed in the details required for duplicate license and paid the necessary fee of Rs. 100 (Forgot the amount).
3. I got the DL delivered home in about a months time.

So I guess the process will be very similar for RC book as well.Please give it a go.
puntra800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 15:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The following documents are necessary for mutation of ownership and thereafter issue of duplicate RC for a deceased person.

(1) death certificate of owner. It is preferable to have at least 10 original copies of death certificate for the many mutations/closure of bank accounts/FD's / movable or immovable property transactions and so on. These certificates are issued by the local corporation/municipality at a nominal charge.

(2) an notarised affidavit jointly signed by all legal heirs of the deceased person asserting they are the only legal heirs of the deceased person. Also that no other surviving legal heir who are all signatories has any interest and claim of any kind whatsoever for the scooter owned by......... (name), son /daughter of......aged....... resident of........... owning scooter bearing registration number........... ( give full description about the scooter as in RC card) . The owner is whose name the scooter is registered has passed away on........... at.........(city).
We the surviving legal heirs of the deceased......... (name of deceased) hence have no objection of any kind if the scooter under reference is transferred hereinafter in the name of......... who is related to us and is also a legal heir of the deceased.

(3) many RTO's also require a local newspaper advertisement inviting objections if any by anyone concerned for such mutation of ownership of the scooter (with details) in the name of.......... (name).

(4) I think this should suffice and an application in the prescribed format to the RTO where it is registered with these documents will have to be submitted.

As regards the lost RC a police complaint has to be filed in the police station in whose jurisdiction the RC was lost. The original police complaint with signature and rubber stamp of the concerned police station has also to be filed with your application for mutation of ownership and issue of new RC card.

These look tedious but are essential as procedures. These are however not so tedious as one senses or feels, but once a person gets started it is all done in a day or two.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th March 2023 at 16:03.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:52   #8

Quote:
My wife has a 2016 TVS Wego. Bike is registered under her mom's name. Her mom passed away in 2019. Unfortunately, my wife has lost her wallet last week.

TIA.
As several veterans mentioned, the procedure is a long one for ownership change in this scenario. And what I understand is that there can be minor variations from state to state. In my place, I needed the following for ownership change in case of the original owner passed away:

1. Get the original death certificate from the local body like the corporation office /municipality
2. Get legal heirship certificate from the village office (this itself is a long procedure here if there is no will, first get it notified in the gazette and then two well-known people/noblemen/councilor to certify in front of the village officer claiming they will be responsible if there is a dispute in future)
3. Original AADHAR and PAN (they will cross-check if there is a relation mentioned, common address etc) of both parties
4. Ensure all documents are current (insurance, PUC etc) of the vehicle
5. Give a request letter and the filled form at the RTO office, and they will do the changes with a nominal fee

a. All documents in original were required for verification
b. Copies of all the above docs are to be attached to the request form and they get uploaded in the portal
c. All the potential legal heirs are to be physically present at RTO office and agree to change ownership to one person and give it in writing and sign in front of them
In our case, the step #5 took only 2 weeks, but the step #2 took months!

/Govind
Old 26th March 2023, 14:04   #9
BHPian

Vehicle Ownership transfer should happen within 3 months of the death of the vehicle owner. It can only be transferred to legal heir. Death Certificate, Legal Heir Certificate and few other documents are required to make this transfer.
RaviKBobba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 16:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Her mom passed away in 2019.
I was going to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
Vehicle Ownership transfer should happen within 3 months of the death of the vehicle owner...
Ravi beat me to this.

This process will be costlier than the value of a 8 year TVS Wego. Weigh the pros/cons.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
Vehicle Ownership transfer should happen within 3 months of the death of the vehicle owner. It can only be transferred to legal heir. Death Certificate, Legal Heir Certificate and few other documents are required to make this transfer.
So does it make sense to prepare a Legal Heir Certificate for one in the name of spouse or child? Or is it prepared only after one's death? How is it different from Succession certificate?

Last edited by Romins : 15th June 2023 at 21:37.
Old 15th June 2023, 23:00   #12
BHPian

You can get duplicate license easily from parivahan app that GTO mentioned. Answers to your questions
1. Money. Gandhi rules over all rules. There many chances of being duped. Illegal as well.
2. Unfortunately your agent is correct. Procedure is a pain. Transfer needs to be done within 60-90 days with late fees otherwise 30 days. Now you need to pay penalty with interest.
Old 15th June 2023, 23:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
So does it make sense to prepare a Legal Heir Certificate for one in the name of spouse or child? Or is it prepared only after one's death? How is it different from Succession certificate?
Legal heir certificate is prepared after death. Before death you can only to make a will.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 09:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Legal heir certificate is prepared after death. Before death you can only to make a will.
I see that Samurai has already answered that .

Legal heir is always prepared after someone's death and in case where there is no written will. ie Legal heir certificate is required when a person dies intestate, i.e., without leaving a will or naming a legal successor.

Also, it is given in the name of next head of the family ie spouse. If spouse is also not alive, then it will be given in the name of elder child (but this requires confirmation + agreement from other children).
RaviKBobba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed