Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 22:18   #46

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Exactly what most of my ride friends have been telling me.
And I totally agree to this.

Another reason though, for my switch, is that I am getting a really good price for my ADV, hence not feeling the pinch. And leaning towards a change.
I landed on this thread trying to find someone who gave up their Interceptor for a ADV 390 and ended up going through your confusion of doing the opposite. I'd say - dont do it.

I own an Interceptor 2019 model (1st lot). I test rode the bike and was blown away by the performance. For just 2.8 lacs, you were getting 53Nm of torque and 47Bhp and parallel twin. It was a no-brainer. I took it. Also, this was my first bike (before this I had a Honda Dio - and never brought a bike as I was not satisfied with any bike on the market). This was the 1st bike and it had all the capabilties of touring, and boy, touring I did.

It is a great 1st bike. I started touring on this bike and learnt the discipline of riding on highways, riding alongside HD and Kawasaki's (I was the only RE in the group). I have done about 22,000 Kms till date and have had no issues. I am so comfortable with the bike that - I don't even bother to do a service before I go for a 1500 Km ride (as long as you keep your bike niggle free, you can just pick up and ride, it will never leave you stranded). I know guys who have completed 75,000 kms and 53,000 kms in their INT650 and they have had absolutely no issues and still riding on stock clutch.

I really want to move to ADV 390 for the following reasons -
  • The seating posture in the bike is not comfortable for long rides. You don't sit straight nor do you crowch like in a super-sport. This can become very frustrating after a long time. You can try handle bar risers, newer handle-bars but everything comes at the cost of ride quality and precision.
  • It has really poor seat. You can put after-market seats but no type of seat can fix the issue as the breadth of the seat is very narrow. For long rides, this becomes an issue, no matter what type of adjustments you make to the seat. You will never be happy.
  • The bike is never precise. You tighten the chain too much - your back wheel will wobble. You have uneven wear in your front tyre? - the handle-bar will wobble at 80 to 100 kmph. (do some research on infamous interceptor wobbling issues, you will find loads of videos). For people who aren't bothered about precision, this will not matter. But if you come from an ADV 390, this is bound to irritate you a lot.
  • You cannot take it to trails - because it is inconvenient. The weight of the bike can be spoiler in many instances. You cannot skid the bike, you cannot let the rear wheel slip a bit, you cannot trail ride while having luggage. (You can, but the experience won't be anywhere close to what the Adv 390 can offer you). On the flip side, this is a pleasure in the twisties with good tar roads. Pick any destination on the western ghats, the uphill/downhill rides will be soulful. (you will be thinking to yourself - I will never sell this bike, ever!)
  • Weight: Bike is too heavy and not practical in the city. I hear a lot of people say, this is a great bike for riding in the city. NO! NO! I am using this bike for the last 4 years and I can tell you - city is the place i hate driving it the most. Sure, it can turn heads, get you that occasional smiles, but all that comes at a cost. You cannot take it out easily out of tight parking spots. In Stop-GO traffic, the weight of the bike will start to get irritating after a point. In moderate traffic (Post 10 PM) this will be a pleasure to ride. But I can tell you, this is not something you will want to "daily-it" to office and back, during peak hours. I do it even today and if I am honest, it is nothing less than frustrating.
  • The spoke wheels bothered me - So i got the outex conversion done. I could not find a single person who will do the outex conversion in chennai. I finally sent it to RPC customs in Bangalore and they did the outex conversion for me (with a 6 month warranty). It's been 3 years now and I am riding a tubeless spoked wheel. Only RPC customs knew how to do Truing to a spoked alloy wheel. RE showrooms didn't have a clue how to do it - 9 months after releasing the bike. Now, all showrooms who service are trained to do truing and alignment on the spoke wheels for the INT/GT, so shouldn't be an issue but this frustration for the 1st 18 months has made me dread spoked alloy wheels forever.
  • The power/torque is beautiful - It is not too much, it is not too less. Just perfect for Indian roads and Highways. You will never find yourself in situation where you have miscalcuated an overtake or unleashed too much power in a corner. It can cruise at 140 KMPH for hours together. I have did 265 Kms non-stop, cruising between 120 - 140 kmph. The bike did not weep at all. Infact, I could have done more but the weird seating posture and the discomfort made me stop. Another thing, you will find really irritating coming from the Adv 390 to interceptor is the wind blast. Nothing can help reduce the windblast in the interceptor to the extent of an ADV. The windblast willl tire you a lot.
The more time I spend with this bike - the more I realise, this is more of a lifestyle product than a functional machine.

When you mature as a rider - function will matter more than form. When you reach that maturity, you can no longer enjoy the Interceptor but you will love the KTM ADV.
Sure, you can push the Interceptor and it will deliver but the flaws will start to bother you a lot because you will want a functional machine - that can take you wherever you want without you feeling the strain. Interceptor will take you wherever you want - but you will feel the strain in 100 different ways - if it is off the tarmac or more than 400 kms.

So yeah, don't let go of that Adv for the INT. Rather, exchange it with someone for a month maybe, get through the infatuation with the INT and stick to the lovely machine you have. You surely wouldn't regret it.
Fred The Head is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 10:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
From what I heard from the dealer, the alloys as an option for existing owners or for new bikes in different colours is still some time away.
Alloy wheels are here already & made way to my Interceptor
Just checking if I should congratulate or welcome you. Congratulate if you've bought KTM 390 & Welcome if you've bought Interceptor or worst case is the cat still on the wall
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

I had almost sold my motorcycle.
Deal was locked at INR 2.6 lakh, and was also credited to my account.

But I guess, then sense prevailed and there was plenty of FOMO to give up on the ADVs overall abilities. Reversed the payment and now still holding on to my motorcycle. This is the longest that I have kept a motorcycle in my garage / possession.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 15:42   #49
BHPian

I currently own a 2019 INT650 (first batch) and have booked a ADV 390 SW. I wanted to explore trails and a little soft-roading, so I tried to mod the Inty into an ADV, as much as I could. But I failed at that.

The mods that I have on my bike are:
1. Way2Speed tubeless conversion(Luckily, never had a single puncture till date)
2. DNA free flow air filter
3. AOM handlebar
4. Himalayan windshield
5. Custom seat
6. Pro-spec cruise control

Rest of the motorcycle is stock and has done around ~16k on the odo.

A few common issues:
1. Fuel lid gasket getting torn(they have now changed the design)
2. Handlebar wobble(luckily, never had it)
3. Relay issue
4. Stock seat is pathetic, both for pillion and rider
5. Weight

If you are coming from a ADV 390 and are comfortable with the ergonomics, you might be disappointed with the Inty for sure. You are lusting over its looks, etc. at the moment, but in the long run you might start hating it due to the seating posture.

The only thing thats not allowing me to sell it off is the engine, the only thing that is reliable in the machine. The way it goes and sound post 4k RPM, no words can describe it. Pure love!

So, if you want to get the Inty for the engine, I would suggest you wait for the 650 ADV, which, hopefully sees the ligt of day.

I know I will sell it off eventually, but for now, I might hold on to it for a few more months.

All the best brother.
rahulbhosle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 09:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulbhosle View Post
But I failed at that
There's a way to succeed & like every journey, its a rough & tough road ahead.

Most people say heart of any motorcycle is the engine; but for me, it's the frame. You could get the basics of most engine specification from internet, but not so with a frame aka chassis, because to me, it's a single piece of engineering that holds all other parts together from the suspension that connects to the wheels to the engine that powers the motorcycle & to an extent the rear wheel as well and most importantly accommodates the passengers. Hence it plays a pivotal role in the dynamics of handling. If this piece of engineering goes awry, then the whole system {motorcycle} goes haywire, even if its by a mm.

Coming back to our story, Interceptor & GT650 have a simple double cradle that is more suitable for road usage, just like our good old Rx, AX100, KB or even CD100. So unless that frame is changed to suit offroads or perhaps improved for handling, its a struggle on trails. Otherwise on a good tarmac, its a good value for money proposition.

Here's a post to review when you can spare sometime on how things can get messy, despite the gentleman who built has deep knowledge about what he built.

Last edited by aargee : 26th July 2023 at 09:21.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 09:56   #51
BHPian

Ergonomics on the interceptor can be sorted to some extent. It is no off-roader but can do saddling.

1. I run the GT footpegs on my interceptor
No longer have discomfort when standing still.
Also it lets me grab the tank better or crouch at higher speeds
2. To compensate on the footpegs by a tad bit, I run 1 inch handlebar risers from carbon racing ( only 1 inch and not 2 inch )
3. Running Vredestein rubber with OEM alloys which changed the handling by quite a bit. Leans a lot more smoother
Attached Thumbnails
Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_2619.jpeg  

vamsi2390 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 11:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred The Head View Post
[*]Weight: Bike is too heavy and not practical in the city. I hear a lot of people say, this is a great bike for riding in the city. NO! NO! I am using this bike for the last 4 years and I can tell you - city is the place i hate driving it the most. Sure, it can turn heads, get you that occasional smiles, but all that comes at a cost. You cannot take it out easily out of tight parking spots. In Stop-GO traffic, the weight of the bike will start to get irritating after a point. In moderate traffic (Post 10 PM) this will be a pleasure to ride. But I can tell you, this is not something you will want to "daily-it" to office and back, during peak hours. I do it even today and if I am honest, it is nothing less than frustrating.
I guess this depends from rider to rider, especially if the rider is new to heavy bikes.

I have been riding a Interceptor since a year and a half now. I was riding Bullets since 2002, so the weight of the bike didn't affect or bother me. I ride with a pillion twice/thrice a week in peak hours and I have no issues in using it in the process. Adding the FuelX fuel optimizer has made things much better in the sense that I can crawl in low speeds and accelerate when I need to. I find it way more easier than my 20+ year old Bullet to balance in slow moving traffic. Just light inputs and I don't have to put my legs down to paddle.
The engine heating up in crawling speeds is something I only experienced in a traffic jam in the middle of summer in Chennai. I haven't experienced it in Bangalore, neither before the FuelX addition.

Edit:
Agree with most of your other points.
On the off-roading. This is not a bike meant for it, then why bother using it on trails. And yes, touring will tire one out, but that is only if you do consistent 100+ speeds. I am happy doing a 100 on my Interceptor and it does it perfectly and moreover, that is a safe and comfortable speed for our roads.

Last edited by tharian : 26th July 2023 at 11:45.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 18:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

A quick update for this thread.

My KTM 390 ADV, sold and delivered today.

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-9321a54f7a894cc6a14b74244f29ae09.jpg
parrys is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 21:36   #54
BHPian

Nice to see an update.

When you started the thread, I too was considering swapping my INT650 for a 390Adv or even more expensive alternative in the adv segment.

But tbh, I have fallen back in love with my bike. It's a great long term option. It's special but does not grab too much attention, and it has character but remains practical.

Last edited by ostrish : 24th February 2024 at 21:36. Reason: grammar
ostrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 21:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrish View Post
Nice to see an update.

When you started the thread, I too was considering swapping my INT650 for a 390Adv or even more expensive alternative in the adv segment.

But tbh, I have fallen back in love with my bike. It's a great long term option. It's special but does not grab too much attention, and it has character but remains practical.
Now the dilemma is, to wait for the Scram 650 with the google maps integrated speedometer from the Himalayan? But then that will again come with tube-type spoked rims.

Life is hard
Old 24th February 2024, 22:49   #56
BHPian

Well, just get yourself an Interceptor. I am not sure if you will enjoy the "suspension" coming from ADV390 but the charm of a retro bike will make up for it. I have a KTM RC390 and Interceptor both, and every-time I ride an Interceptor after the KTM, I fall in love with parallel twin. The sweet rumble, the laid back nature with relaxed ergo, the personalized customizations all play a part in enhancing the riding experience. Few simple things like a clock, a gear position indicator, a fancier tail light would have been perfect, I think RE might add those in the next iteration.
Mach_1590 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 02:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Almost a year since I started this thread.
About time for a happy post.

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-screenshot-20240307-2.54.168239am.jpeg

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-int-650-booking.png

Now the most important question: Does Royal Enfield stick to these promised & tentative dates? As of date, the dealer has no confirmation if the bike has been billed to the outlet. I booked the motorcycle on 28/02/2024.

Pricing details below:

Name:  Screenshot 20240307 at 3.01.508239AM.png
Views: 146
Size:  94.1 KB

Here's a list of optional add-ons I have purchased via RE M-I-Y:

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-screenshot-20240307-2.58.468239am.jpeg

Additionally, will buy the official RE bar end mirrors, which should cost me ~ INR 7,200 including the mounting kit and the AEW TE 102 exhaust in brushed / matte finish. Will be wrapping the header pipes in brown / bronze heat wrap during the exhaust install. Will probably get the exhaust after the first service.

Does anyone know if there is a way to install the Tripper pod on the INT 650, anywhere else but between the twin-pot retro console?

Last edited by parrys : 7th March 2024 at 03:05.
parrys is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 03:30   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost a year since I started this thread.
About time for a happy post.
Congratulations on your booking!!

What colour did you go for? Is it the one shown in the picture?

Hope to see a delivery and initial ownership thread on here soon.

PS: Regarding the tripper navigation, there is this guy named 'Rider Akhtar786' who sells the necessary bracket and harness to mount a Meteor 350 Tripper pod in the middle of the two instrument pods in the Twins. Just search for him on any of the social media platforms. He charges around 1500/- for the kit which I believe is worth it. You will have to source the Tripper on your own though.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 03:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Congratulations on your booking!!

What colour did you go for? Is it the one shown in the picture?

Hope to see a delivery and initial ownership thread on here soon.

PS: Regarding the tripper navigation, there is this guy named 'Rider Akhtar786' who sells the necessary bracket and harness to mount a Meteor 350 Tripper pod in the middle of the two instrument pods in the Twins. Just search for him on any of the social media platforms. He charges around 1500/- for the kit which I believe is worth it. You will have to source the Tripper on your own though.
Yes, the same. Black Ray, full stealth.

That position for the tripper, is exactly what I want to avoid. It takes away the retro charm.

But a fitment like the image below, this I like. (This is not fit on any RE, but on a Kawasaki)

Fast Single to a Smooth Twin | KTM Adventure 390 to Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-sddefault.jpg
Old 7th March 2024, 03:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the same. Black Ray, full stealth.
Nice.

Don't you think the silver crash guard and sump guard will take away from the stealth look though? You do get the heel guard and intake covers in black which should complete the stealth look, in my humble opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks