Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2023, 14:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

First images of the made-in-India Harley-Davidson bike out!

Mod Note: Our Harley-Davidson 440X review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The first images of the made-in-India Harley-Davidson bike have surfaced online, revealing several details of the upcoming model.

Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-screenshot-20230405-142802.jpg

The design of the new Harley-Davidson model appears to be inspired by the XR1200. The bike has a circular LED headlamp and a single-pod digital instrument console. It features a stepped seat and wide handlebars offering an upright riding stance.

Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-screenshot-20230405-142735.jpg

The grainy images also reveal the bike's upside-down front fork. It is equipped with dual shock absorbers at the rear and a single exhaust. Braking duties are handled by discs equipped with Bybre calipers. Also, note the Ceat Zoom Cruz tyres wrapped around dual-tone alloy wheels.

Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-screenshot-20230405-142850.jpg

The number plate has the text 'Hd 4xx', which perhaps hints at an engine capacity of around 400cc. Looking at the images, it seems the bike will get an air/oil-cooled single-cylinder engine.

Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-screenshot-20230405-142903.jpg

The upcoming Harley-Davidson motorcycle appears to be a worthy rival for the Royal Enfield Hunter 350 and the Honda CB350. It could be launched in the near future.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2023 at 10:10. Reason: Link to review added
TusharK is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 16:56   #2
BHPian

Re: First images of the made-in-India Harley-Davidson bike out!

Am I missing something? I thought Harley quit locally manufactured products, and was only focusing on CBU's. I even read somewhere about their manufacturing plant being sold or shutdown. So how did this pop up out of nowhere? And I also assume, there's nothing Harley about these bikes except for the badge. This attempt somehow reminds me of the erstwhile UM brand motorcycles.
saikishor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 17:43   #3
BHPian

Hate saying it, because I am not a Harley Davidson fan, but this is one good looking motorcycle. If it has none of the Harley Davidson character (excessive vibrations and comparatively low performance/ over heating) then I can actually see myself owning one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Am I missing something? I thought Harley quit locally manufactured products, and was only focusing on CBU's. I even read somewhere about their manufacturing plant being sold or shutdown. So how did this pop up out of nowhere? And I also assume, there's nothing Harley about these bikes except for the badge. This attempt somehow reminds me of the erstwhile UM brand motorcycles.
You assume correctly, there was some news of a JV between Hero and Harley to build lower cc bikes in India for India and maybe even the world at a later stage. Some engine tech might be part of the technology transfer to help Hero make the leap to larger capacity engines above the 200 cc mark.

A seemingly unrelated news from Hero was the imminent launch of the Hero Karizma with an updated engine. Could be fruits of the same JV. Though this is just my conjecture at this point.

Exciting times...
kosjam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 20:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. Similar to the very handsome Honda Rebel.
The USDs are a welcome
The fuel tank looks like it can do anywhere between 350 km - 400 km between fuel stops which is a necessity.
The exhaust though looks meh.

Will have to wait for more info.

Finally HD is taking India as a serious market.
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 21:41   #5
BHPian

For some odd reason most auto news sites are only carrying a subset of the pictures released. Rushlane seems to have 9 of them together.

Anyway the bike has an oil cooler
Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-hd-3.jpg

and chain driven (no belt drive for small bikes it appears)
Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-hd-4.jpg

Bonus front/rear pic:
Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-hero350ccharleydavidsonlaunchpriceroyalenfield.jpg

Edit: One rather clear rear shot. Tank does not seem to be very large:
Harley-Davidson X440 launched in India at Rs 2.29 lakh-2023heroharleydavidsonindialaunchroyalenfieldrival1.jpg

Last edited by tanayr : 5th April 2023 at 21:46.
tanayr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:25   #6
BHPian

Looks like a Baby Iron 883. I'm liking what I'm looking at!

My guesses :

30-40 BHP, dual ABS, bluetooth connectivity (if provided is a plus). Rider modes are bonus. More power is welcomed. Heavy options of accessories from H-D itself. That campaign will come sooner or later. Performance parts obviously will be Screamin' Eagle branded ones. Expect to pay more just because of the branding.

3-3.5 L on road and its a steal. Anything else above that is jussshhtttt puuuree Honda and Kawasaki level greed.
saitvsk23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:26   #7
BHPian

On first glance, the design language looks like a mix of the Yamaha FZ-X, Husky twins and the Hunter
krankstter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 22:59   #8
BHPian

At first i thought these must have been taken during the photoshoot but the 2nd pic has some sort of jig to allow stationary running of engine.

OT: What is with the 60s era KGB B&W grainy pictures?
These manufacturers really need to put more effort into how they "leak" their pictures.
stewie is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:43   #9
BHPian

Just price it right. I hope its not a Benelli under the skin.
Old 6th April 2023, 12:26   #10
BHPian

From Hero point of progression, this design seems to be next generation or step from xPulse. And the xPulse seems to be having a good market in south by the numbers seen on road.
An ADV type styling and HD engine, does make it a killer combination, depending on the engine tune.
Comparison to UMs and Benelli's may not be fair as Hero does have a good market standing unlike the out of the blue Chinese companies launching foreign brands in India. In fact it will be the brand(HD) who quit the market that needs to re-establish credibility.
No wonder RE is full steam on 400 and then maybe 650 Himalayan. Game on! Good times for Indian bikers!
Freespirit27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 12:55   #11
BHPian

The bike looks good but nowhere close to a real HD.
But even then if specs are good enough and the product being backed up by sales / service network of Hero (i.e. Maruti of two wheeler segment) has serious potential.
This is too early to say anything now.

Btw, these pictures nowhere looks like a spy shots rather looks like a purposefully leaked image by a PR team. But I think a good PR push is what HD needs in India.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 15:02   #12

Why does it remind me of Husqvarna? Hope it is big looking enough for tall riders unlike Husqvarna!
Old 6th April 2023, 17:22   #13
BHPian

As per Sirish Chandran from Evo India:
  1. This will be a 30 BHP Oil cooled bike
  2. The engine platform is 400cc which designed, developed and validated in India
  3. The engine has already been tested in Xpulse in rally, plus it has been a long time in testing, so seems Hero wants to get the engine right first time
  4. The same engine in liquid cooled form will generate 40 BHP and will be introduced in bigger Xpulse
  5. The bike has been made specifically for India and export markets and hence different from one unveiled in China
  6. Will be priced around 2.5 lacs and will slot between Classic and BMW 310 twins
  7. Digital instrument cluster with Bluetooth connectivity
  8. June - August 2023 launch (expected) time frame

I also have some insider news from a birdie. Hero motocorp is ready to onslaught with a slew of new offerings:
  1. Xtreme160r 4v (Four Valve)
  2. Karizma 200 cc, 25 bhp liqiuid cooled
  3. Xpulse 400cc
  4. One more bike 300cc

Only thing that makes me a little sad no manufacturer is developing or ready to bring 500cc dual cylinder platform to India.
So lot of choices in single cylinder bikes upto 500cc but not much in dual cylinder above 500cc
Honda please localize the 500cc dual cylinder engine platform, PLEASE
PraNeel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 17:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Who is the manufacturer? Hero? Highly unlikely that these will be priced under BMW 310's. They would probably be happier with lesser sales, than diluting the brand value. My guesstimate is that they may price it slightly in the range of or above the RE 650's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
I also have some insider news from a birdie. Hero motocorp is ready to onslaught with a slew of new offerings:
Any insider info if the Karizma is a rebranded Xtreme 200R or an all new platform and engine?
Old 6th April 2023, 17:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Who is the manufacturer? Hero? Highly unlikely that these will be priced under BMW 310's. They would probably be happier with lesser sales, than diluting the brand value. My guesstimate is that they may price it slightly in the range of or above the RE 650's.
Yes Hero is the manufacturer with design inputs from HD.
If they price as you say, it will not gather sales and hence defeating the purpose of a low cost platform.

Quote:
Any insider info if the Karizma is a rebranded Xtreme 200R or an all new platform and engine?
New Platform and liquid cooled engine with styling cues from erstwhile Karizma. Hero has also trademarked the name "Karizma XMR"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed