Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2007, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Need help regarding new tires and air filter for P-150 UG-3

Hello all,

I own a P-150 UG-3 purchased in Nov '06. Recently i changed my engine oil to Valvoline Champ 4T and experienced a sea of difference. Plus i have managed to scrimp and save a few bucks from my lousy job. So i have decided to upgrade my bike bit by bit.

So i was thinking of changing the tires first( I have been doing pretty bad burnout's so the rear treads are pretty much gone, and i had an accident in january, after which the workshop people gave me CEAT - SECURA's in front , they s*** totally)

So please suggest the sections. How much of a difference will it make if i get 110's in the rear? I was thinking of getting 110's. 120's are a bit too wide for my choice. Also, for front tires, i guess Zappers shall do the job? If not then what do you suggest? What brand should i get? Does getting new MRF's make some sense? or should i go for some other brand like pirelli or michelins or dunlop? Do give your valuable suggestions.

Next i was thinking of getting a new air filter. K & N is the current obvious choice i guess. So is there a particular type of filter i should go for? And how much of a difference in performance will it make? And after getting the filter how should the jetting be done? Please do leave your suggestions.

And if there are some people from Chennai here, then can they please suggest some places from where the above mentioned things can be purchased?

Waiting for your suggestions.

Thanks for checking this thread of mine
Sourav.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2007 at 22:21. Reason: avoid all BOLD posts. limit smiley usage to 2/post. thanks
Old 25th July 2007, 20:04   #2
BHPian

Go for Michelin on front and rear if you can source them. Michelin M45 does a very good job for the rear. Michelin tyres wont last as long as Zappers.

If you cant source them then Zapper FS is good for the front. Rear you can go for Dunlop GeoCruiser are Zapper again.
Old 26th July 2007, 01:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

dude since its p150 i think u should stick to either 100/90 tyre spec or max 110/90 tyre specas for the brand i suggest michelins for the best grips i think its better over the pirelli for it is not tubeless and hence less heavier, if you want tyre life too then stick to MRF Zapper-Y its got the best cornering grip from the mrf!

as for the front tyre go in for a 90/90 Mrf zapper-y man this i can with confidence that you will love it!, instead of the 2.75 that comes as stock!

i would not suggest the K&N filters of any performance ones for the bike for the bike's engine is already a very OVER STRESSED ONE! and will get heated up pretty fast while boosting the bike's acceleration, although this can be lessened a bit with a higher grade engine oil.
if u want the k&n then you will not have results unless you get the crab jetted!
Old 26th July 2007, 02:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i would not suggest the K&N filters of any performance ones for the bike for the bike's engine is already a very OVER STRESSED ONE!
Calling a motorcycle engine thats not even doing 100 bhp/liter over-stressed is stretching things a bit.
Old 26th July 2007, 04:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've always wanted to ask, why the hell are they called UG1 UG2 etc? Someone told me it means UnderGround1, 2 etc... please tell me that's not true!

Sourav, put up an intro in the intro thread. If you're on a budget, as indicated by the fact that you're saving up, treat your bike with respect and stop doing burnouts. They don't do much for you bike, or your pocket. A filter will help to some extent, since Indian bikes are generally dialled in to be very lean, but please remember that some versions of the Pulsar come with a sealed filter. So if you put in a conical, expect it to sound like a diesel auto. And best of luck with dialling the jets in, because you're going to need it. Try Tectrac in Chennai, they're supposed to be good with bikes. Dunno if they do Pulsars though.

rider60, the bike you've been riding is heating up because it's not jetted properly. The clueless person probably runs a new filter with stock jets, leading to leaning out, esp on the higher revs. In a few months, it'll be bye-bye engine.

Ananth, you should see the other biker forum. It's a real hoot.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I've always wanted to ask, why the hell are they called UG1 UG2 etc? Someone told me it means UnderGround1, 2 etc... please tell me that's not true!
I though it meant UpGrade 1 , UpGrade 2.
Old 30th July 2007, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all who responded

@V1p3r - Sorry mate. Will do an intro just now And regarding my bike sounding like a diesel auto, i dont think i will get a filter if it sounds that bad :( Though i have checked out a few rides with filters, they dont sound that bad actually. Its more of a throaty roar. or is it just my ears?
Old 30th July 2007, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Oh, btw i forgot to add, i got a Michelin 110/80 in the rear and stock MRF Zappers up front. The grip on the Michelin's are just awesome Thanks to all who chipped in with their suggestions.
Old 1st August 2007, 19:37   #9
BHPian

Congrats... Which Zapper upfront ?
Hows the top end , mileage ?

Also please mention the cost of the Michelin 110/80.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

v1p3r my engine never got over heated, its just that, i liked riding hard and the engine would heatup my feet too.

i called it a over stressed engine because i have seen alot of pulsars end their life at 40000kms mark infact mine was about to die in about 5k kms and i sold it at 18k kms mark, i assure you i did proper run in and always used higher grade engine oil castrol20w50 in my bike!
Old 3rd August 2007, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

then its probably more accurate to call it a poorly-built engine rather than a highly stressed engine.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:25   #12
BHPian

@Josh - Thanks. I got the Michelin's for Rs 2400/- . I have not found any difference in mileage/top end till now. She still tops out at ~110kmph and i don't think mileage has gone down (not to my notice till now). Zappers in front are the stock 17" Zappers normally provided with pulsar's.

@rider60 - you say that a lot of pulsars end their life around 40k km's? Is it really something like that? Why is that so?
Old 10th August 2007, 12:03   #13
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a query. I want to improve the headlamp on my bike. I have been reading about H.I.D lamps and was wondering if i can get them installed on my bike. Can anyone suggest something regarding this?

Thanks.
Sourav
Old 28th August 2007, 20:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hi all,

I have a query. I want to improve the headlamp on my bike. I have been reading about H.I.D lamps and was wondering if i can get them installed on my bike. Can anyone suggest something regarding this?

Thanks.
Sourav
I don't know if there are any HID lamps available for Bikes, as HID lamps need a constant power source(read Battery) and the bike gives inconsistant power(More throttle More current).

Also Hid lamps will cost you quite a bomb, If i am correct they are going to cost you around 10k.

A cheaper option is to use a 55/60 w H4 halogen. But remember it will not glow properly when the throttle is low. I have done this MOD and overcame this problem by replacing the 2 pilot lamps of my pulsar with leds, which consume much less power.

@rider60 I dunno, why that happened with your bike, but my bike has crossed the 10k mark and still running in mint condition. Maybe I got one of the better built engins, since Bajaj is not very good about product quality consistancy.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 28th August 2007 at 20:10.

Most Viewed