Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 00:18   #1

Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

Hi Guys,

I am writing this post with a high hope of finding the solution of a problem which has been a constant cause of annoyance for last many weeks now and [b]nobody from the Royal Enfield service centre has been able to get completely rid of this issue.

I bought this beautiful machine in orange crush on 1st of December 2022. The odometer was already past 11,000 KM, the day I purchased it but the condition and ride quality seemed top notch.

I took her for a test drive to Kasauli from Chandigarh and boy did I cry a little out of happiness that day. The way she moved and slithered on those curvy roads seemed so effortless. The sound of the exhaust was nothing less than music to my ears. I had been dreaming of owning this motorcycle since the day it launched.

Alas! my happiness lasted only few days. While travelling to my hometown from Chandigarh which is a solid 300 KM ride, I started facing a serious lag in power, so much so that by the end of the trip, she won't go past 4000 RPM. My initial thought was that the problem must be with the fuel pump or the filter.

Got it checked as soon as I came back to Panchkula and yes the fuel filter was clogged. The problem went away with fuel filter being replaced.

Second trip was a sheer pleasure. Me and my couple of friends went to Wagah border and i didn't face any problem whatsoever. Cruising at the speed of 100 + KMPH is a no brainer with this machine in your possession.
But weird things have again started show up. The instrument cluster light would go on and off at random times. The Engine light will turn off and on and so would the ABS light. There is again a power loss/lag at lower RPMs.

I went back to the service station, we checked the fuel tank for debris and cleaned it, we cleaned the throttle body, fuel injectors, fuel filter was replaced, fuel pump also seemed fine. I went for a full fledged service basically.

Replaced mobil oil, air filter. The battery mind you is also brand new. They checked spark plugs which also seemed fine. All the fuses were also checked. Thinking all should be fine now, I took her home.
But no, the problem is still persisting.

I have dropped her at the service station and they are telling me they will raise a ticket to RE engineers.

Any idea what's going on here? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I just want this ordeal to be over and ride her to Himalayas :/

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd May 2023 at 09:15. Reason: Do not mention illegal speeds and avoid unnecessary bold.
iabhimanyu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 07:40   #2

re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

A similar issue happened in my interceptor, and the culprit was the charging module. Please get that checked
sanchit223 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 08:29   #3
BHPian

re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

Seems like an electrical issue since multiple warning lights and meter console lights are switching on and off at random. I had a somewhat similar issue on my old FZ. Culprit was a conked out RR Unit. Shouldn't RE be able to find the problem when they connect an OBD scanner?
windrider is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 19:19   #4
BHPian

Re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Seems like an electrical issue since multiple warning lights and meter console lights are switching on and off at random. I had a somewhat similar issue on my old FZ. Culprit was a conked out RR Unit. Shouldn't RE be able to find the problem when they connect an OBD scanner?
The trouble is, even if the error shows up on the OBD tool, directly figuring out the component is a tricky process and even people in production units need time to figure out the cause and effect part.

Seconding your thought on the RR and electricals in general, REs are not so great with electricals and engines with higher displacement. I had to replace 4 batteries in 5 years (3 within warranty) and change a couple of fuses. I was so fed up that I got the entire wire harness and RR (regulator rectifier) unit changed. Since then, I have been trouble free with battery related issues (to be fair, I also got a MF battery installed a year later, just to be sure).

@OG post owner - do check if the previous owner had any electrical accessories installed but are not present currently. Any modification during that time may have resulted in shorting of a wire with the frame (may be a rouge unpainted section or a fastener).

Last edited by ReventonLover : 22nd May 2023 at 19:20.
ReventonLover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 19:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful

Facing the same issue, it is the RR unit, get it replaced. I am waiting for my service center to get it.
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 10:34   #6
BHPian

I have seen similar gremlins due to a faulty earthing with the chassis and once with a loose battery clamp. The battery clamp issue occurred again after two years, when I had forgotten about it and I thought the battery has given up after 4 yrs. But while opening up to replace the battery, found that the clamp was loose, worked fine after tightening it up.
Random and non persistent engine check light and abs points to electrics not being consistent and being let down. As @reventonlover pointed out, it's a bad electric signal either due to a short occurring randomly, due to accessories that existed before, or the RR unit.

I have a pre-owned 2019 Ravishing Red too, that I got in 2021 and it's working great. It's not a bad design, just that the various vendors are not quality conscious, and let down once in a while.

Last edited by gharika : 23rd May 2023 at 10:34. Reason: Spelling
gharika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:14   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Facing the same issue, it is the RR unit, get it replaced. I am waiting for my service center to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhimanyu View Post
The instrument cluster light would go on and off at random times. The Engine light will turn off and on and so would the ABS light. There is again a power loss/lag at lower RPMs.
The instrument cluster light going off has happened once to me; and it came back after a few mins of riding. The Engine light & the ABS light staying on for long periods happen quite regularly but I haven't experienced any power loss so far; so never really got around to getting it resolved.

I was planning on raising this query - thanks for putting this up. @AtheK - are you getting the RR unit replaced under warranty? Any idea what's the expected cost for it?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 11:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The instrument cluster light going off has happened once to me; and it came back after a few mins of riding. The Engine light & the ABS light staying on for long periods happen quite regularly but I haven't experienced any power loss so far; so never really got around to getting it resolved.

I was planning on raising this query - thanks for putting this up. @AtheK - are you getting the RR unit replaced under warranty? Any idea what's the expected cost for it?
I still don't know if it will be covered under warranty, or will need to be paid for, I am presuming it has to be covered under warranty.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:49   #9

Thankyou for the suggestion. I am at the service center to pick her up. They have changed the RR unit as suggested. Let’s see if this will resolve the issue. I’ll update once I am confirmed.

Thanks again guys!
iabhimanyu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou for the suggestion. I am at the service center to pick her up. They have changed the RR unit as suggested. Let’s see if this will resolve the issue. I’ll update once I am confirmed.

Thanks again guys!
Great, how much was the RR unit. I just checked with my Service Center Manager and the part has arrived. Will drop the bike tomorrow as I will get second servicing also done.

The instrument cluster light goes off after battery hits more then 16V and comes back once it drops below that, which is when you let go off throttle. Even I did not experience any power loss, but this will definitely impact the life of the battery.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:36   #11

It’s costing me INR 2400 here in Chandigarh.
I have taken a solid 10km test ride, the issues with meter light, abs and engine lights have seem to be resolved.
Didn’t feel any lag in power as well.
I think she’s finally back to her usual self for real.
Will ride her for a day or two, perhaps a small ride to solan, i will update here again after couple of days.

Last edited by iabhimanyu : 23rd May 2023 at 13:58. Reason: Typing mistakes
iabhimanyu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 12:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It’s costing me INR 2400 here in Chandigarh.
I have taken a solid 10km test ride, the issues with meter light, abs and engine lights have seem to be resolved.
Didn’t feel any lag in power as well.
I think she’s finally back to her usual self for real.
Will ride her for a day or two, perhaps a small ride to solan, i will update here again after couple of days.
Glad to hear your problem getting resolved. My advice to you is to leave the electricals as it is or get a few tried and tested mods only, such as fog lights, USB chargers etc. When installing the accessories, get a multimeter and check their impact on the voltage and current drawn in the circuit. Anything above the amperage of the fuses means you are bound to get some error in today's world of fiddly electronics.

Happy riding buddy.
ReventonLover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 13:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Left the bike at service center, was told the unit replacement will be covered under warranty.

In discussion with another friend it seems the culprits are possibly the LED lights that we are installing on Interceptor, where in they draw much lesser current as compared to if they were halogen. Now since factory tested and fitted are Halogen lights, our bike are producing probaly more current then the need and is not able to handle the excess. Just a thought but sounds relevant since my bike is running all LED setup. I am hoping they install the new RR unit on my bike which comes on current interceptor, as the new bike now comes with LED headlights.

@iabhimanyu Do you have stock lights or is your bike running LED headlights?

Last edited by AtheK : 24th May 2023 at 13:17.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 13:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReventonLover View Post
Glad to hear your problem getting resolved. My advice to you is to leave the electricals as it is or get a few tried and tested mods only, such as fog lights, USB chargers etc. When installing the accessories, get a multimeter and check their impact on the voltage and current drawn in the circuit. Anything above the amperage of the fuses means you are bound to get some error in today's world of fiddly electronics.

Happy riding buddy.
Noted!
As of now everything is stock apart from few additions which I have made. Replaced the stock seats with bench seats which I found aesthetically more pleasing than touring seats and are more firmer and comfortable than the stock ones. I have replaced the stock exhausts with Powerage ones and they are working as expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Problems with my pre-owned Royal Enfield Interceptor | Any insights will be helpful-c7baafc23930455e841460b0bc72d492.jpeg  

iabhimanyu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 14:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Left the bike at service center, was told the unit replacement will be covered under warranty.
=======
@iabhimanyu Do you have stock lights or is your bike running LED headlights?
Bro, I don’t know about the previous owner but I have had the stock halogen bulbs since the beginning. I asked the people at RE for why the RR unit failed at the first place. They are saying it’s because of its placement, they get a lot of complaints about RR unit failures/malfunction.
The way it is placed makes it susceptible to getting hot, since not a lot of air passes around it.
Though I still can’t wrap my head around the power lag/loss I experienced at lower RPMs.
How is that related to RR unit malfunction if you or anyone else can explain a little to me.
iabhimanyu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks