Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 08:33   #16

Re: Replacement for my RE Himalayan | Hero Xpulse 4V Pro or KTM 390 Adventure-X?

I have a 390 Adventure which I am thinking of selling now that I have got BMW 850 GSA. Mine is 2022 model with new colour scheme and better low end torque than initial models and I have hardly stalled it. Let me know if @cataclysm are interested. It is Chandigarh Registered.
harry_1732 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 10:12   #17
BHPian

Re: Replacement for my RE Himalayan | Hero Xpulse 4V Pro or KTM 390 Adventure-X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
You can check out my thread if it interests you to see how I finally picked up the Xpulse Pro.
It was your thread that made me consider the Xpulse Pro. Before that I had finalised the 390 ADV-X. So thanks for the confusion But on a serious note, thanks for the detailed reply. Your thread has been pretty valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_1732 View Post
I have a 390 Adventure which I am thinking of selling now
Please PM me your number as I am unable to send you a PM.
cataclysm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 19:22   #18
BHPian

I would suggest to upgrade your front suspension in Int 650 and swap to rally tyres, which will give you enough power and traction to drive in the hills.
Offourse with Rally tyres, top speed is limited to 120km .
If possible, upgrade to latest Interceptor alloy wheels.

Note: I had upgraded to Rally tyres and waiting for the alloy wheels for my Inty.
Dine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 02:12   #19
BHPian

Rent for this trip and wait it out until the Himalayan 450/Xpulse 400 comes out. The 390 adventure is not meant for the Himalayas especially if you have got accustomed to the low end torque and comfy suspension. It is a great bike no doubt but it is a Duke 390 on stilts and the suspension is stiff, period, not to forget the single cylinder vibes. I certainly loved it for being an excellent expressway tourer though and the safety net of the electronics. You will be voiding warranty by doing the suspension jobs, certainly not an option on the KTM if you intend to keep it for long. Your Himalayan is the best companion for the Himalayas as an all rounder even though it's slow and heavy considering you stay closer to the hills.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 22nd July 2023 at 02:13.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
I would suggest to upgrade your front suspension in Int 650 and swap to rally tyres, which will give you enough power and traction to drive in the hills.
Offourse with Rally tyres, top speed is limited to 120km .
If possible, upgrade to latest Interceptor alloy wheels.

Note: I had upgraded to Rally tyres and waiting for the alloy wheels for my Inty.
I already have the alloys on my Interceptor. Rest everything seems like too much work to convert a road motorcycle to an ADV. Even then the Interceptor will weigh too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Rent for this trip and wait it out until the Himalayan 450/Xpulse 400 comes out. The 390 adventure is not meant for the Himalayas especially if you have got accustomed to the low end torque and comfy suspension. It is a great bike no doubt but it is a Duke 390 on stilts and the suspension is stiff, period, not to forget the single cylinder vibes. I certainly loved it for being an excellent expressway tourer though and the safety net of the electronics. You will be voiding warranty by doing the suspension jobs, certainly not an option on the KTM if you intend to keep it for long. Your Himalayan is the best companion for the Himalayas as an all rounder even though it's slow and heavy considering you stay closer to the hills.
Mind says wait but heart says buy it now

You are right that I am very used to the low end torque and the comfy suspension that the Himalayan offers. The only thing that is drawing me to the 390 ADV is the power and tubeless tyres. Everything else tilts towards the Xpulse Pro.
Old 22nd July 2023, 12:30   #21
BHPian

Personally I think a great option which, is the best of all worlds, would be the new Triumph Scrambler 400 X. The Speed 400 has oodles of mid range torque already and apparently the Scrambler 400x gets different to give it more torque lower down. It’s great looking, suspension has reasonably decent travel (albeit not quite in the class of the KTM 390 Adv), excellent gearing and apparently very good fuelling. Won’t be here in time for your ride but should be here in a few months. In general I’m not an early adopter kind of guy for anything and if it were any model of Royal Enfield, one is a glutton for punishment if you’re buying in the first year (or two). BUT, Bajaj has generally been pretty good with new launches over the years and I have zero doubts that they will be doubly focused given that it’s a new partnership with a premium global brand. Plus the pricing is insanely good given that this will be ballpark 2.6 and the top end 390 Adv is 3.6 ex showroom. It’s the perfect do-it-all bike in my opinion.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:35   #22
BHPian

Having ridden the 390 Adventure, I would affirm the fact that it's not an adventure motorcycle in true sense or rather a soft adventure motorcycle. Looking at the situation your placed in, I would recommend you to purchase an used Benelli TRK 502x or the base variant. The power figures although appear faint on paper, I never felt it is an underpowered motorcycle to any stretch of imagination atleast in Indian touring context. Its GSA challenging dimensions, comfortable seat, luggage mounting akin to that of any big ADV and a motor that can hold on to triple digits for days that apart decent off-road ability at a decent price.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 10:09   #23
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

I ended up buying the KTM 390 ADV-X. Got it delivered yesterday. Feels great to ride and is definitely less vibey than the test ride 390A that I rode. The suspension definitely feels stiff but it isn't that bad. Around the first service I will decide whether to swap the existing suspension with the one on the SW variant.

I had made up my mind to get the Xpulse Pro (had even booked one), but Hero's service quality and some minor (and major) irritants in the Xpulse made me choose the 390 ADV-X.
cataclysm is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed