Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2023, 21:23   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield genuine accessory defective | Is there no warranty on it?

Royal Enfield claims to provide a 3 year warranty on the genuine motorcycle accessories purchased from them.
Royal Enfield genuine accessory defective | Is there no warranty on it?-re.png

I got a wind visor along with my newly purchased Interceptor 650. But in a weeks time the visor developed cracks near one of the screws holding the visor to the mounting frame.
Royal Enfield genuine accessory defective | Is there no warranty on it?-crack.jpeg

I wrote to their customer care but they directed me to contact the dealership itself. When escalated through the dealership, the SA informed that he has pursued the matter with RE internally through their system. Weeks pass but no response. So I wrote back to the customer care regarding the issue and this time they referred the issue to their sales team. A day later I got a call which looked like it was from dealer team explaining to me that since the visor was crack free (Which I agree too, as even if the cracks were there or beginning to form they were in perceptible) during delivery any cracks later on even self developed cannot be covered under warranty. So I simply replied that if a issue was developed with the engine which was not there during delivery would you deny the warranty there too? then the caller had no answer.

My question to fellow BHPians is two fold. First, I am right in expecting warranty for the above case?. Second has anybody claimed warranty on Genuine motorcycle accessories of RE and if yes, what was the process?

Do note that on the website the terms and conditions of warranty were not obvious and I coudnt locate them.
rascalangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield genuine accessory defective | Is there no warranty on it?

Only reason they could deny warranty is claiming this 'could' be a result of external impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
the caller had no answer.
Poor fella. Majority of this crowd (tele-callers) will non-technical and trained to repeat what their 'standard response' says.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ah I feel for you, nothing sad in spending on a genuine accessory and then soon having issue. I have bought a few genuine accessories and now trying to procure a visor as well.
  • Correct me if I am wrong - Isn't that a number plate attached also to the visor mounting? I don't think its supposed to be mounted there. And that also looks like someone overtightened the bolt.
  • If yes, was the installation done by the dealership with the number plate?

Last edited by Gordon : 8th November 2023 at 09:59.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Isn't that a number plate attached also to the visor mounting? I don't think its supposed to be mounted there. And that also looks like someone overtightened the bolt.

Was the installation done by the dealership with the number plate?
I agree. That looks like the crack from an over torqued bolt. That was my first reaction too.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
My question to fellow BHPians is two fold. First, I am right in expecting warranty for the above case?.
You are right in expecting warranty, however some obstacles as mentioned below.

Quote:
Second has anybody claimed warranty on Genuine motorcycle accessories of RE and if yes, what was the process?
Don't recollect on Accessories although there was someone (hopefully neil.jericho) who persisted with replacement for RE apparel.

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong - Isn't that a number plate attached also to the visor mounting? I don't think its supposed to be mounted there.
Don't think metallic element is the number plate, it's bottom metallic part of flyscreen.

Quote:
And that also looks like someone overtightened the bolt.
Exactly, dealer person would have overtightened the bolt pinching the plastic spacer too much to cause the crack.

On the warranty issue, RE would insist that dealer should bear the cost as part damage has been caused by extra force of a dealer individual which dealer may deduct from individual's salary. Dealer can and will pass on the blame stating warranty claim got rejected by RE.
rascalangel, you should persist with RE Regional Sales and Service manager to get flyscreen/windscreen replaced.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Only reason they could deny warranty is claiming this 'could' be a result of external impact.
My guess is this will be their last resort.

Quote:
Ah I feel for you, nothing sad in spending on a genuine accessory and then soon having issue. I have bought a few genuine accessories and now trying to procure a visor as well.
I would advice you to thoroughly check every aspect before you leave the showroom after fitment.

Quote:
  • Correct me if I am wrong - Isn't that a number plate attached also to the visor mounting?
  • If yes, was the installation done by the dealership with the number plate?
Its the metallic plate with "Royal Enfield" embossing. The installation was done by the dealership as part of the "Accessories" package during purchase.

Quote:
  • I don't think its supposed to be mounted there. And that also looks like someone overtightened the bolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Exactly, dealer person would have overtightened the bolt pinching the plastic spacer too much to cause the crack.
This was my analysis too. I shared a video with the SA in which it can be clearly seen that the broken side has the gromet pinched on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

On the warranty issue, RE would insist that dealer should bear the cost as part damage has been caused by extra force of a dealer individual which dealer may deduct from individual's salary. Dealer can and will pass on the blame stating warranty claim got rejected by RE.
rascalangel, you should persist with RE Regional Sales and Service manager to get flyscreen/windscreen replaced.
So far I have been duly following up with the RE customer service through mail. Following is the recent response I got:

"As per the latest update from the service team, we regret to inform you that windshield is a wear and tear items and damage happens to such parts in ordinary use during a period. The wear and tear parts are not covered under warranty and this information is already mentioned in the owner's manual provided to you at the time of motorcycle delivery. Please refer to the owner's manual for the warranty terms and conditions.

You can also download the owner's manual by visiting the following link. https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/s...owners-manual/"

Funnily though no where in the owners manual is the visor a "wear and tear" item. Are they going to claim tomorrow that a crack in the frame or footrest is regular wear and tear?
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 20:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

This isn't right. What's the point of the peace of mind 3 year warranty period, if it's not going to be honoured for a week? And worse if they are fitted at the dealer itself.

It'll do good to others if you publish the dealer name and service request number from Enfield Support here as a record. Also it may help if you drop a Google Map Review on the dealer with details of your experience.

I've always been of the opinion to buy the accessories seperately and try to fix them by yourself or a trusted mechanic using the instructions manual.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Update:
Been following up with both RE customer care and the showroom. Got the following email from the showroom executive:
Quote:
We are sorry for the inconvenience . as discussed with you that the damage part is not covered under warranty.as the damage was not at the time of delivery it has occurred after six to seven days after delivery. So for that reason I will have to close the complain.

Thanking you
I don't understand if there is not warranty after delivery what is the point of 3 year warranty on genuine accessories.

Had asked the RE customer care also to share the terms and conditions on GMA warranty. Haven't heard back from them yet. I have a feeling RE wants to wash their hands off this. I mean I paid 4 lakh+ for the bike and RE is dilly dallying over 200Rs acrylic sheet!!

Quote:

It'll do good to others if you publish the dealer name and service request number from Enfield Support here as a record. Also it may help if you drop a Google Map Review on the dealer with details of your experience.
I was holding off publishing the name of the dealer to give them a chance but its too long now. Its Saini Motors, Goa. Being the only RE dealer in South Goa probably has gone to their head. The peculiar thing is when I first bought the bike they didn't even bother to give me invoices for the down payment, extended warranty or the accessories. They said they don't give invoices and everything is recorded in their "system". I need not worry etc etc. Only after me complaining to RE CC did they provide me with invoices. People in finances may shed some light on this, but do dealerships save money by not providing invoices?
Old 4th December 2023, 11:23   #9
BHPian

Update:

Even after repeated follow up with RE CC and the Dealer nothing has changed. The dealer keeps insisting that the fly screen/visor does not have warranty and Royal Enfield is not willing to share the terms and conditions on genuine accessories. I raised a complaint on consumer helpline portal and there too RE only updates that they tried calling me and I didnt answer (I have DND activated). What I dont get is I just want the terms and conditions of the genuine accesories warranty. I dont know why RE wants to hide this?

Anyways I came to the realization that the dealer is running some kind of scam. I was looking at some of the mails when i came across the booking email from RE. In that only under my customization only the engine guard and sump guard is mentioned. No fly screen. But all three were part of the "accessories package" at the time of booking. So RE is probably not able to find the sale of fly screen in their database, while the dealer procured a cheap flyscreen and sold it to me as a genuine one while making fat profit. Now RE wants the dealer to take the responsibility and the dealer is up to denying there is no warranty on accessories. SHM!

Although when I see such posts :(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-seltos-2.html (Won a consumer court case against Kia India | Poor quality chrome on my Seltos)) I feel thats the route I should take now, but the question is of few thousands rupees only!. Is it worth it? In the end the consumer is always short changed.

Most Viewed