Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 00:16   #61
BHPian

Re: Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
My front Tyre looks fine, I mean the tread isn't worn out yet and haven't had a single puncture till date. Do you still want me to replace it ?
Same case as that of mine. but i recently had nasty fall in drive-way of society and that made my lazy AS* move!

The old tyre does lose grip - specially sideways. and if u happen to use extensive front braking, than you are definitely inviting trouble.
chetans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 02:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

The MRF Zapper Y must be the worst and most dangerous tyre ever made. I'v had several narrow escapes on it. Honda and Hero Honda and MRF should be sued for this hazardous tyre.

That said, the main thing that has kept me from changing it is that I have been unable to find any shop that does tyre balancing (the wheels are factory balanced and I'm afraid to do anything that will mess up the balancing)... or even change the tyre using a tyre changing machine. I absolutely do not trust the tyre guys to do it manually without creating scratches or other damage.

Does anybody know of any place in Pune that does tyre balancing and changing using the changing machine?

As someone mentioned above, Tuff-up tubes are available with Honda dealers. Unfortunately they were not available with Hero Honda dealers that I asked. People who have used them say they make a significant difference in handling too.... besides the hedge against punctures. They would also most likely be safer than ordinary tubes. If not available, you can ask the dealer to place an order.

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th July 2012 at 02:34.
Old 13th July 2012, 15:37   #63
BHPian

In Hyderabad, you can locate michelins in a lot of places. Sirac Streets are available in abundance with Sai Ram wheels in Chandanagar and Hi tech wheels in Gachibowli. Both these guys don't do the changing part sadly. So you have to depend on the Shop neat Jubilee Hills Checkpost mentioned earlier. Tuff up tube is available in Hyderabad only through Honda and for that you have to do a lot of follow up and nag them with calls. They usually dont stock it very regularly. From my usage, Sirac Streets are doing a fine job. Grip levels are better than MRFs and slush doesnt make my knees shiver any more.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 12:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

If I am correct its 18 inch and you should look for M45 3.00 X 18 . 2.75 is not wide for rear tyre .
Old 15th July 2012, 19:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The MRF Zapper Y must be the worst and most dangerous tyre ever made. I'v had several narrow escapes on it. Honda and Hero Honda and MRF should be sued for this hazardous tyre.

As someone mentioned above, Tuff-up tubes are available with Honda dealers. Unfortunately they were not available with Hero Honda dealers that I asked. People who have used them say they make a significant difference in handling too.... besides the hedge against punctures. They would also most likely be safer than ordinary tubes. If not available, you can ask the dealer to place an order.
Totally agree with your Raccoon ! this is the worst and dangerous Tyre from the MRF stable. As it is it has a poor grip and on top of that some dust, gravel or slush will make your way an easy path to hell. I thanked my lucky stars many times whenever I came out of those situations.

Please go with the Tuff-up tube, it's worth the wait and followups with the dealers. I haven't had a single puncture till 3 years. My first puncture was due to a deep cut on my tyre otherwise the tube would have kept on going. Hero Honda dealers might start selling them since the latest CBZ extreme comes up with the tuff up tube IMO.

Cheers !
Old 16th July 2012, 02:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

^^^CBZ-xtreme is factory fitted with tuff ups since as long as I can recall... probably since launch of the model. Its more than possible that several other HH models are factory fitted with these tubes. But it seems the Tuff-up tubes are still not being stocked by the dealers. The reason given to me is that there is next to zero demand for it. The MRF dealer told me the same thing. The reason is that they are significantly more expensive. But its worth noting that these are actually two tubes with fluid between the two tubes. So obviously it would cost more to manufacture. But isn't the extra worth it when you see the benefits of handling and puncture insurance? I also find that they retain air more than any other tube. The fact that they are good quality and last a long time are even more reasons to take the extra effort to source them.

You can demand that the dealer place an order for them. Take up the matter with Hero Honda if they don't oblige.

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th July 2012 at 02:01.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:32   #67
BHPian

Anyone knows a place where I can get 2012 manufactured Michelin sirac (front) tyres for Unicorn? I tried 3 dealers in B'lore but they all have a stock of almost 1 yr old tyres.. 2012 manufactured rear tyres are avialable
Else what is the alternate choice?
thx
-R

Last edited by raihan : 18th July 2012 at 19:37.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:54   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Totally agree with your Raccoon ! this is the worst and dangerous Tyre from the MRF stable. As it is it has a poor grip and on top of that some dust, gravel or slush will make your way an easy path to hell. I thanked my lucky stars many times whenever I came out of those situations.

Please go with the Tuff-up tube, it's worth the wait and followups with the dealers. I haven't had a single puncture till 3 years. My first puncture was due to a deep cut on my tyre otherwise the tube would have kept on going. Hero Honda dealers might start selling them since the latest CBZ extreme comes up with the tuff up tube IMO.

Cheers !
Let me agree with both of you-Abhi and Racoon. I've had 2 major accidents astride the MRF zappers and then I moved on to CEAT Secura Sport. Not only did it increase the grip,it also lasted longer by another 7K kms. The Zappers went bust at 16K Kms whereas the Secure Sport lasted 23K Kms through some of the toughest rides possible and touchwood, I've had no skid/falls in SECURA Sport tyres from Ceat
Old 18th July 2012, 19:59   #69
Senior - BHPian

^^^Strange. MRFs are generally known to be long lasting. And expectedly so, since most of them are harder compounds. So its durability over safety. If what you say about Ceat is true, then they have both parameters covered.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:38   #70
BHPian

Is tuff-up tube recommended for front wheel?

The tyre size for back tyre of Shine and Front tyre of unicorn are matching

Thinking about putting tuff up tube in front and back for my unicorn!

Last edited by Sedate : 24th July 2012 at 10:41.
Old 24th July 2012, 16:48   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
You can very well go with the tuff-up tube for the front as well. Almost all Honda scooters have tuff-up tubes at both ends.
Old 25th July 2012, 02:34   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The tyre size for back tyre of Shine and Front tyre of unicorn are matching

Thinking about putting tuff up tube in front and back for my unicorn!
If you do that, do let us know how it handles.
Old 9th August 2012, 16:35   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
If you do that, do let us know how it handles.
Honda Service Center selling it for 675 per tube

Just changed the back tyre to sirac street. Front tyres of only 2010/2011 mfg date available. Trying other outlets.
Old 10th August 2012, 00:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:

Just changed the back tyre to sirac street. Front tyres of only 2010/2011 mfg date available. Trying other outlets.
Same case in Bangalore, I tried 3 dealers here & had to settle for a '11 manufactured front & '12 manufactured rear.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thats ridiculous. Anyway what does an ordinary tube cost? Can't recall... the last time I changed tubes was like 3 or more years ago.

Most Viewed