Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 21:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats ridiculous. Anyway what does an ordinary tube cost? Can't recall... the last time I changed tubes was like 3 or more years ago.
Rs. 1700/- for Front tyre + tube - Michelin Sirac Street(Feb 2012 mfg)
Rs 2150/- for Back tyre +tube - Michelin Sirac Street(Jan 2012 mfg)

I think they come as a "combo pack - tyre + tube"
Old 14th August 2012, 00:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

^^^Pricy! But doesn't really help to know the cost of the tube alone.
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:17   #78
BHPian

Guys, I have a 2nd Gen Unicorn and the my rear tyre is completely worn out. In another thread got a suggestion to go for Sirac Street. Now my query is, what should be the tyre size I should go for. Mine is not an alloy wheel.
Old 22nd February 2015, 12:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

My gen 1 Unicorn badly needs a tyre change as they have never been changed in the last 10 years. Got a quote of 4400/- INR from LAL tyres Chennai for Michelin Sirac tyres for 100/90-18 and 2.75-18. I see quite a few members going in for these tyres for their Unicorn and hence would like to hear some feedback. I have Michelin on my cars but the only apprehension I have with the same for the bike is that they are manufactured at Madurai in the erstwhile TVS tyre factory which has been bought over by Michelin now.

My other option would be CEAT tyres since I have used them in my bikes in the past and have had a positive experience. Strictly no to MRF.

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback in advance.
Old 22nd February 2015, 16:56   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My gen 1 Unicorn badly needs a tyre change as they have never been changed in the last 10 years. Got a quote of 4400/- INR from LAL tyres Chennai for Michelin Sirac tyres for 100/90-18 and 2.75-18. I see quite a few members going in for these tyres for their Unicorn and hence would like to hear some feedback. I have Michelin on my cars but the only apprehension I have with the same for the bike is that they are manufactured at Madurai in the erstwhile TVS tyre factory which has been bought over by Michelin now.

My other option would be CEAT tyres since I have used them in my bikes in the past and have had a positive experience. Strictly no to MRF.

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback in advance.

Firstly, shocked to read that you using the stock tyres from past 10 years !!

Regarding Michelin sirac, i have the Michelin Sirac Street on my unicorn since past two years. No issues with the tyres, till date. Only 2-3 punctures till date.

PS: I havent tested the tyres cornering ability. No issues upto the speed of 90kmph.
Good tyres for minor off roads too.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:18   #81
BANNED

Quote:
My gen 1 Unicorn badly needs a tyre change as they have never been changed in the last 10 years. Got a quote of 4400/- INR from LAL tyres Chennai for Michelin Sirac tyres for 100/90-18 and 2.75-18.
10 years on one OEM set of tyres is IMO to much. What does the odometer read?

Go with the Michelin Sirac Street for the Unicorn. You'll love it.

I have them on my Karizma R too.

Front = 2.75 x 18
Rear = 100/90 x 18.

Good grip in both wet and dry conditions with ample feedback + confidence on turns. No fish tailing under emergency braking.

Check for the manufacturing date of the tyres and decide.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 19:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Firstly, shocked to read that you using the stock tyres from past 10 years !!

Regarding Michelin sirac, i have the Michelin Sirac Street on my unicorn since past two years. No issues with the tyres, till date. Only 2-3 punctures till date.

PS: I havent tested the tyres cornering ability. No issues upto the speed of 90kmph.
Good tyres for minor off roads too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
10 years on one OEM set of tyres is IMO to much. What does the odometer read?

Go with the Michelin Sirac Street for the Unicorn. You'll love it.

I have them on my Karizma R too.

Front = 2.75 x 18
Rear = 100/90 x 18.

Good grip in both wet and dry conditions with ample feedback + confidence on turns. No fish tailing under emergency braking.

Check for the manufacturing date of the tyres and decide.
Thanks for the feedback on Michelin. My bike has completed 13.7k kms as on date. The bike is a 2005 model and the usage has been relatively less as you can see.

The tyres I saw yesterday were from Oct 2014 and Dec 2014. I suppose they can be considered as new.
Old 22nd February 2015, 20:42   #83
BANNED

Quote:
The tyres I saw yesterday were from Oct 2014 and Dec 2014. I suppose they can be considered as new.
Go ahead for the December'14 set of tyres.

Do look for overall finish off the tyres before purchasing. IIRC, your Unicorn is the steel wheel variant. Do any plans of adding alloys to it?
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:15   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go ahead for the December'14 set of tyres.

Do look for overall finish off the tyres before purchasing. IIRC, your Unicorn is the steel wheel variant. Do any plans of adding alloys to it?
The rear one was a Dec14 make and the front Oct or Nov 14 make. The dealer also told me that these tyres come with a 5 year unconditional warranty(not sure if I should take this at face value)

Yes you are correct. Mine was the non-alloy model. Would love to have alloys but thinking twice for two reasons:

1. The OE alloys are black in color and my personal preference would be sliver/grey.

2. Not sure if the OE alloys are a direct fit on my bike lest it warrants tweaking/changing few other parts which I am wary of. Will change the tyres for now and then look at them later

Last edited by rr_zen : 23rd February 2015 at 09:17.
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:26   #85
BANNED

Quote:

The rear one was a Dec14 make and the front Oct or Nov 14 make. The dealer also told me that these tyres come with a 5 year unconditional warranty(not sure if I should take this at face value)

Yes you are correct. Mine was the non-alloy model. Would love to have alloys but thinking twice for two reasons:

1. The OE alloys are black in color and my personal preference would be sliver/grey.

2. Not sure if the OE alloys are a direct fit on my bike lest it warrants tweaking/changing few other parts which I am wary of. Will change the tyres for now and then look at them later.
I had the 2006 model with me after which i sold it and bought a Karizma R in 2009.

My first and the sole modification on the Unicorn was the Alloys - only deficient thing. Got the set from Hero Honda CBZ Xtreme in 2007 and for it to my Unicorn.

It is a direct fit, everything perfect. Look at the picture below:

Unicorn Tyre Change: Suggestions?-forumrunner_20150223_092206.jpg

The looks were even more eye catching for me.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 07:08   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I had the 2006 model with me after which i sold it and bought a Karizma R in 2009.

My first and the sole modification on the Unicorn was the Alloys - only deficient thing. Got the set from Hero Honda CBZ Xtreme in 2007 and for it to my Unicorn.

I was always loving to have this. But now in 2015, which alloy would be a direct fit. How much did you shell out? Any dip/increase in mileage?
Old 24th February 2015, 07:45   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I was always loving to have this. But now in 2015, which alloy would be a direct fit. How much did you shell out? Any dip/increase in mileage?
I loved the looks post the makeover of my Unicorn, specially the red and black combo.

Alloys were from a CBZ Xtreme and I paid 3500 for the pair.

No difference in performance or FE figures. Just a boost in looks department.
AFAIK, CBZ Xtreme/Unicorn with rear drums will be a fit.
Old 24th February 2015, 11:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1342600

The looks were even more eye catching for me.
The pic looks impressive. I have the same color as well but the first gen Unicorn without the stripes sticker on the fuel tank and with a golden color Honda wing logo. 3500 INR for a pair of alloys is actually reasonable IMO. I suppose you bought them new. Now, you are making my mind wander a little

Finally took a leap of faith and went in for the Michelin Sirac Street. Have done about 40km since installation yesterday. Bike feels good. Have not been able to really focus on the difference as the guy at the tyre center seemed to have messed with my chain. Got that adjusted from a roadside mechanic but it still makes a juddering noise at low speeds. Opened the chain guard this morning and chain seemed to be fine and not loose. Lubricated the chain a bit and it seems better but still the noise does not seem to have subsided. Not sure what the issue is. I had no problems with the chain until the tyre replacement. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? Thanks.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:15   #89
BANNED

Quote:
The pic looks impressive. I have the same color as well but the first gen Unicorn without the stripes sticker on the fuel tank and with a golden color Honda wing logo. 3500 INR for a pair of alloys is actually reasonable IMO. I suppose you bought them new. Now, you are making my mind wander a little.
I bought the alloys from Hero Honda Spares dealer.

Quote:
Finally took a leap of faith and went in for the Michelin Sirac Street. Have done about 40km since installation yesterday. Bike feels good. Have not been able to really focus on the difference as the guy at the tyre center seemed to have messed with my chain. Got that adjusted from a roadside mechanic but it still makes a juddering noise at low speeds. Any suggestions on what could be the issue? Thanks.
Hope the alignment is correct as it could be rubbing against the chain guard or swingarm during movement.

Get the rear axle bolt re-aligned.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:30   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought the alloys from Hero Honda Spares dealer.
Are the alloys from the current gen Unicorn a direct fit or is it only the CBZ's ?

Quote:
Hope the alignment is correct as it could be rubbing against the chain guard or swingarm during movement.

Get the rear axle bolt re-aligned.
The chain does not rub against the chain guard or the swing arm and the wheel as such rotates freely. My gut feel is that the chain tightening has not been done the right way. Rode it to office on the highway. Bike feels more stable and planted now. Think of taking it to the HASS if the chain juddering issue persists for an expert opinion.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by getting the rear axle bolt realigned? Is it something I can do myself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks