Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2024, 13:26   #31
BHPian

Re: My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
It's normal and mentioned in the manual. The immobilizer light switching off after a certain timeframe is mentioned in instruction manual from what I remember reading it. Please check once
Yup found it, thanks. It does explicitly say that the light will blink only for 24 hours. And i just confirmed it by walking over to my motorcycle which is standing still for the 2nd day now. No lights.

Screenshot from the Manual
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-immo.jpg
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 20:12   #32
BHPian

Update: Accessories, DIY Customizations and pre monsoon ride.

My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-church.jpg
It has been 2 months since the last update. March and first half April the bike did not see much running owing to a personal injury. Also due to heatwave at the time, I did not venture onto any rides. However I have not been idle during this time, looking at potential modifications/DIY stuff for the Bike.
Here are the updates till date.
  • RC Card -This was delayed multiple times owing to Keerthi triumph not uploading my HSRP pics onto the Vaahan portal. Originally I had shared the pictures on 10th Jan to the Keerthi Backoffice folks who had called me for the same. However after a month there was no update and the portal did not show any dispatch update as well for my application. Late March I get another call from the Keerthi backoffice, again asking for the same pictures of the HSRP and the VIN. No point in getting frustrated, I shared the pictures again. This time they seem to have actually uploaded the pictures, got the SMS confirmation within a week followed by RC dispatch in early April. Got the RC card via post on April 10th finally. So if anybody’s RC card dispatch is still pending make sure to check the status in the Vaahan portal and followup with the dealer.
  • Accessories - Got a last of the missing accessories that I needed.
    The lower engine guard and the quilted seats. The bike feels complete now and my pockets empty.
    Quilted seats are much more flat than the stock seats and is especially comfortable to shift around on those long hours of touring.
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-accessories.jpg

DIY mods – Brakes, Mirrors, Adjustable Levers, Grips & Easy clutch

Brakes
The organic brake pads were not to my liking. They do the job in city rides but for our highways it felt underwhelming and I had a couple close calls with livestock during one of the rides. So decided to get the Speed 400 sintered pads. However the service center had no stock at the time, and no tentative date as well. I think they were not willing to sell the brake pads over the counter imo and just made up some reason.
After this some time passed and saw a couple of videos on YT on Galfar offering sintered brake pads for the 400X. Price were a bit cheaper than the Brembo brake pads being offered for the speed 400 hence I said “why not?”
Confirmed the actual brake pads and part numbers from the seller baycitypowerparts and placed an order.

Part numbers for anyone wanting to check them out.
  • Front - FD450G1370
  • Rear - FD165G1371

Total cost - 5998
Since I was still nursing an injury could not swap the pads myself, took it to a local mechanic and did the swap. Takes a few kms to bed in properly but the braking is spot on and perfect for shedding speed quickly. No unnecessary lockups so far with either the front or rear. What stands out for me is on the open roads this feels way better than the stick pads in everyway. Much more confidence inspiring to carry more speed when needed without needing to worry much on the stopping prowess of the bike.
Money well spent.

Closer look at the stock brake pads, the one on the left was from the front at 3k+ kms only. Almost half worn.
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-stock-brake-pads.jpg

Mirrors
I've been experiencing issues with the stock mirrors on the bike and had been looking for some advice on replacements. The current mirrors are not meeting my needs for a few reasons:
  • Poor Visibility: The visibility offered by the stock mirrors is quite lackluster. They don't provide a wide enough field of view, making it challenging to see vehicles approaching from behind, especially in blind spots.
  • Vibration Issues: After 4500 RPM and above, the mirrors start to vibrate. This vibration blurs the reflection, making it almost impossible to get a clear view of what's behind me, which is quite dangerous when riding at higher speeds.
  • Loose Mirrors: Despite applying Loctite, the mirrors tend to come loose frequently. This constant need for readjustment was getting annoying.
Given these issues, I went in search of recommendations for aftermarket mirrors that offer better visibility, remain stable at higher RPMs, and stay securely in place without constant adjustments.
Took a look at two of them KTM Adv 390 mirrors and the Dominar 400 mirrors. Unfortunately KTM refused to sell theirs over the counter, could not find any reliable source online to procure them as well. Dominar 400 mirrors were easily available, local service center did not have all the parts readily available and said it would take about a week to procure them. When I say parts there is a difference in size between the mirror holders. The Triumph ones being M10x1.25 and for the Dominar it is M8x1.25.
So the mirror holder would need to be swapped on the right and on the left hand side it was the mirror holder along with the clutch yoke.
Since I had the part numbers from the service center I searched for them online and got an order going on 99RPM, which seem to be a genuine source for procuring bajaj spares for all vehicles.
Order was delivered in a couple of days and quick DIY on the right hand side to fit the mirrors, which was the easiest part.
However when I moved to the left hand side, I had to remove the grips, light switch assembly, clutch yoke and then slide in the new mirror holder. Which was easier said than done.
I made a mistake while removing the gripper and damaged it irreversibly, for those wanting to try I would suggest 2 flathead screw drivers and a heat gun. Me being a moron used a sharp blade to cut through the glue. Could have just procured a replacement grip but I thought better of it and got the barkbuster grips from bigbadbikes during their sale along with a few other gear. These are pricey but are proper rubber with none of that plasticky feeling, this inturn had a positive effect in managing vibes from the handlebar imo.
Anyways with a goof up, I gained something else in return. Learn from your mistakes.
Since I was not riding the bike, there was no issue in waiting to procure additional parts, so while i was waiting for the grips removed the switch assembly and the clutch yoke to replace it with the ones procured which had no issue with fitment either with the Triumph levers or even the adjustable KTM levers. Once that was done slid the switch assembly back in and then got the barkbuster grips, used some cpvc glue to keep em in place. Again no issues installing them. They are about 2-4 mm smaller than the stock grips on the left hand side. Job well done. Had to get on a few rides to office and the highways to get the proper alignment.
The mirrors are great, very stable, can’t fiddle with them easily. They offer a wider vision, useful especially when filtering through traffic or for overtakes on highways.
Vibes are better contained. And it does not look out of place to me.
Part numbers if anybody is interested.
  • 1 x Mirror Rh| JF231609
  • 2 x Washer Conical-Id8.2Xod15Xt2Xblk| LDH00016
  • 2 x Washer-Kda-Od/Id/Thk-16/8.5/1.2| KDAA0816
  • 2 x Bolt Socket-M8X1.25Xl 25Xblack| LAC00141
  • 1 x Mirror Lh| JF231608
  • 1 x Fr Clamp Kit| 36JF0185
  • 1 x Holder Lever Lh| JF161014

I like that it doesn't ruin the looks of the bike, not sure if KTM mirrors would have had the same impression.
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-mirror-front.jpgMy Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-mirror-back.jpg

Super soft grips
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-barkbuster-grip-l.jpgMy Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-barkbuster-grip-r.jpg

Adjustable Levers
With the grip puppies installed already my finger reach was kinda hampered slightly, the lever adjustment is a luxury that i prefer to have.
Got some KTM adjustable levers for brake and clutch. This is an easy DIY. After the failed attempt at procuring the KTM Adv mirrors I had one of my friends pick these up during his routine service as spares from a KTM service center. Again this is a direct fit and no issues at all till date.
I did not note down the part numbers for this one but I think its available to buy online as well so should be easy to procure.

My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-adjustable-brake-lever.jpgMy Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-adjustable-clutch-lever.jpg

Finally the Pro Spec Easy clutch
I had the prototype for a few days and received word from them earlier this month that the cables have arrived. Went in for the installation, tried a couple of different routing options. The OEM clutch cable routing was good but the easy clutch unit which sits at the engine fins on the left hand side would graze it everytime I turned right. So we routed it outside in a small gap between where the engine guards bolt on to the frame which seemed perfect. The OEM cable guide was too thin for the new cable hence we used a zip tie to keep it in place.
Also not sure if this was just me, but the OEM cable was damaged due to the cable guide being too tight and the cable sleeve kinda ripped off. The service center loosened the guide a bit to allow some play and rolled over a bit of electrical tape around the cable where the sleeve was damaged stating it was not much damage even after me giving them the go ahead to replace it since it barely costs anything. I was aware that i would get another cable anyhow for the easy clutch so it was just a stop gap for me and i did not make a fuss about it.

My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-prospec-closeup-1.jpg

Pre Monsoon Ride – Shettihalli, Hemavati backwaters

Since I was out of action for almost 2 months, I was itching to go on a ride. Pre monsoon showers had begun about couple of weeks ago and the temperatures finally dropped.
Meanwhile I had procured some gear from Europe while my brother was travelling. Was looking forward to testing them as well.
Route taken onwards: Bengaluru – Nelamangala – Yediyur- Channarayapatna – Devihalli - Hosahalli – Kabbatti – Madihalli – Shettihalli church
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tHJDuWPPJLKeW1Si8

A snap of the deviation taken from the highway, highly recommend it.
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-route-snap.jpg

The weather was just perfect, left home at 5.45AM. It had been raining the last night and by sunrise it was all cloudy and not a ray of direct sunlight which made it perfect riding conditions. Tarmac was not too wet.
Riding on the highway until yadiyur was pleasant, but boring. Took a deviation just before shantigrama, I was a little skeptical to take the B roads post the rains. But it was well worth it. These are single lane and sometimes half a lane. Early morning village is the best, people out and about lot of livestock and the roads were a mixed bag. It was great for a few kms, the non existent for a few and then half broken for a few more. The Scramblers suspension came into play here, never been more comfortable on the ride. Since it was a unconventional route, there were no other riders for company, I was all by myself and at my own pace just having a fun and relaxed morning. At the halfway mark there is a very small offroad trail leading to an even smaller temple at the top. It was closed but B road explorations sometimes lead you to unknown places. For those interested I’ve marked the route taken.
At the destination things were a bit busy couple of cars parked already and another group of BMW riders were just wrapping up. Fast forward 15 mins and I was all alone, spent some time at the church and then moved along to some trails around the area, the bridge for the view and the gorur dam. Spent the better part of the morning there.
Started the journey back home at 11:30 AM. Stopped at Swati delicacy for lunch, the ride was fun in the morning so did not stop for breakfast. Was back at the Gorguntepalya People tree hosp signal by 2:30, however there was a massive jam and was stuck there for almost 25 mins. Well something had to give on a perfect day I guess. I was home in another 15 mins and it was a day well spent and ready for a longer ride next month.

Some parting shots
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-church-1.jpg
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-church-2.jpg

ODO: 4900
Mileage on the ride: 28 Kmpl
aston_martyr is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 07:59   #33
BHPian

Are the adjustable KTM levers a direct swap for the OEM Speed 400/400X ones? And did you consider using the Avenger mirrors, black, for these? I thought mirror stem (stalk) size is standard across most bikes. Have seen it been used as replacement for the stock ADV390 mirror for example without need for this effort.

I've been planning for a 400X handlebar swap for my S400. The handlebar position of 400X is perfect wrt relaxed riding for me.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 19:51. Reason: Spacing.
Old 27th May 2024, 08:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Are the adjustable KTM levers a direct swap for the OEM Speed 400/400X ones? And did you consider using the Avenger mirrors, black, for these? I thought mirror stem(stalk) size is standard across most bikes. Have seen it been used as replacement for the stock ADV390 mirror for example without need for this effort.
Yes the KTM levers were a direct swap for my 400X. I assume it should work on the speed 400 as well.
Yes I did consider the Avenger mirrors, however I thought the boxy rectangular shape would not have been a good look on the bike.
Old 27th May 2024, 09:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Yes the KTM levers were a direct swap for my 400X. I assume it should work on the speed 400 as well.
Yes I did consider the Avenger mirrors, however I thought the boxy rectangular shape would not have been a good look on the bike.
Oh good. So they should fit easily with a swap at the ASC. How much was the levers each? 1.3k MRP in total? It's an old figure I remember.
Old 27th May 2024, 10:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Oh good. So they should fit easily with a swap at the ASC. How much was the levers each? 1.3k MRP in total? It's an old figure I remember.
2k I think for both the levers. No need to go the ASC, you can do it yourself. Also not sure if the Triumph ASC would entertain such requests, atleast here in Bangalore I know they do not.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 19:50. Reason: Caps.
Old 10th June 2024, 22:01   #37
BHPian

Quick Update:

The bike has crossed 5400 kms as of today and close to 6 months now.
Couple of maintenance activities were taken care of.

Before that Triumph service center is running a monsoon camp, they do basic checks all round.
  • Washing
  • Chain clean and Lube
  • Brake inspection and clean
  • Coolant and engine oil level check and top up if required
  • Key joints check all round
  • Air filter inspection - clean/replace if necessary
  • Battery health check

Visited the service center on Saturday 8th of June, got everything checked, bike health is optimal no issues or top up required.
Air Filter was very filthy at just 5000kms, hence asked them to replace it anyways.
Air filter cost - 286
Total cost -1300

I had already ordered the BMC air filter and was yet to receive it, hence took the vehicle to the monsoon camp, otherwise i would have given it a miss.

Couple of things i performed this week.
  • Engine Oil Change
  • Air Filter Installation

Parts procured for Engine oil change
-Oil Filter
-O Ring
-Mesh strainer x 2

All of the above parts were procured from 99rpm for the bajaj Dominar 400.
Parts were a direct fit.

Engine oil used this time

My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-engine-oil.jpg

Drain Bolts to be loosened
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-drain-bolts.jpg

Mesh Strainer comparison, forgot to take a pic of the smaller strainer
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-mesh-strainer.jpg

Oil Filter Housing
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-oil-filter-housing.jpg

Oil Filter Comparison - Exact match
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-oil-filter.jpgMy Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-oil-filter-1.jpg

Air Filter Comparison - I fell the BMC one fits more snugly than stock. No gaps anywhere.
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-air-filter.jpg
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-air-filter-1.jpg
My Carnival Red Triumph Scrambler 400X | Ownership Review-airbox-housing.jpg

Will have to observe how the vehicle behaves carefully for the next few days, hoping i did not goof up anywhere. Pretty happy with how easy the entire procedure was.

Next update will be after a longer trip which is planned for later this month.
aston_martyr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 17:33   #38

Parts procured for Engine oil change
-Oil Filter
-O Ring
-Mesh strainer x 2

All of the above parts were procured from 99rpm for the bajaj Dominar 400.
Parts were a direct fit.

It would be great If you shared part numbers for mesh strainer and O ring .

By the way I am thinking to upgrade to 15T front sprocket from Dominar/ Duke 390 to increase gear ratio .
Have seen this mod done in American buyer. Fingers crossed...

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th June 2024 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks