Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2024, 13:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda NX500 launched at 5.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
I checked out the NX500 yesterday. It definitely looks substantial and sounds great. One thing that I didn't find solid and confidence inspiring was the thin and short side stand. when climbing aboard ADV style and getting off, the bike feels like it's going to tip over. This was in stark contrast to the H450, which has a indestructible looking solid hunk of a side stand. My Speed400 too has a very efficient side stand which I believe all bikes must have, especially those that don't come with a center stand.
Personally, I believe the ADV style of climbing on board a bike is unnecessary and not very safe nor very good for the side stand of your bike or the chassis element it is bolted to.

Take an example of Itchy Boots. Shes a girl, and not a very big beefy one at that either. Perfect credentials for ADV style mounting on to her fully laden adventure bikes (Alaska, Himalayan, etc.).

Yet she never mounts in that way. The bike is always on the side stand, and she kicks her right leg up and over the saddle. In between her rear and tank luggage.

Some bikes like the KTMs and Bullets are in fact prone to side stand damage as it is. Base plate damage. Stand switch damage. Bolts loosening or shearing off. Bolt holes getting ovaled over time. If you start mounting the bike on the side stand, that is only going to get worse.

I know there are a million videos on You Tube from riders that tell you that's the cool way to get on. But these are my own thoughts on that.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th February 2024 at 13:50.
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 13:43   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Personally, I believe the ADV style of climbing on board a bike is unnecessary and not very safe nor very good for the side stand of your bike or the chassis element it is bolted to.

I know there are a million videos on You Tube from riders that tell you that's the cool way to get on. But these are my own thoughts on that.

Cheers, Doc
Finally someone said it.

I thought I was the only one that thought that mounting a motorcycle on the side stand is not the way to do it.

I've never mounted my motorcycles on the side stand for the exact reasons you mention. However, almost everyone in my riding groups mount it on the side stand.
Proxima is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 13:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Finally someone said it.

I thought I was the only one that thought that mounting a motorcycle on the side stand is not the way to do it.

I've never mounted my motorcycles on the side stand for the exact reasons you mention. However, almost everyone in my riding groups mount it on the side stand.
The medical name of the disease is "influenza".

On social media and ADV Rider, otherwise called Influencers.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:28   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_eagle View Post
You are absolutely right. I asked the SA for the detailed quotation and the EMI amounts correspond to an effective interest rate of ~10.5% p.a.

Attachment 2571056
I spoke with the IDFC First bank rep at the BigWing Delhi South and he quoted a ROI of 5.25% flat and also promised to waive off the processing fee. However, he wanted me to fly from Bangalore to Delhi for biometric. So, I decided to apply for a personal loan and got it at 5.7% from HDFC. Now, it is slightly higher than the former and I also had to pay the processing fee, but I can now get the bike registered in my name, and not the bank.
on2wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:35   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheels View Post
I live in Bangalore and since the RTO is still not issue BH registration to private sector employees, decided to get the bike from Pune, where I lived for a couple of years. Called the Bigwing Pune East (Pashankar) and booked the bike with 25k on 19th January ( although the official booking amount is Rs. 10,000). I asked for the on-road price the next day and they sent me a quotation of Rs. 7.45L. Apparently, Maharashtra levies a road tax of 20% on CBU bikes.
Update: I cancelled my booking from Pune as Maharashtra RTO levies a higher tax on CBU (read imported) bikes and the rep at Honda couldn't give me a straight answer to whether this high road tax also applies on BH registration. I now have to buy it from Delhi. Booked it at the Honda BigWing Delhi South (Lajpat Nagar). I've also changed the color from Red to Black. On road price quoted is Rs. 6.35L with BH registration.

I also got a chance to test ride the bike at BigWing Topline, Lavelle Road, Bangalore. Though it was a very short spin, it gave me enough confidence to go ahead with the buying decision.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th February 2024 at 09:37. Reason: Please don’t quote entire long posts and limit quoted text to the relevant part. It inconveniences readers on mobile devices.
on2wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 14:43   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Update: I cancelled my booking from Pune as Maharashtra RTO levies a higher tax on CBU (read imported) bikes and the rep at Honda couldn't give me a straight answer to whether this high road tax also applies on BH registration. I now have to buy it from Delhi. Booked it at the Honda BigWing Delhi South (Lajpat Nagar). I've also changed the color from Red to Black. On road price quoted is Rs. 6.35L with BH registration.

Interesting. Did the BigWing dealer from Delhi agree to do BH registration for private sector employees? I'm assuming your employer has a presence in multiple states.
Old 12th February 2024, 15:23   #157

Quote:
So, I decided to apply for a personal loan and got it at 5.7% from HDFC. Now, it is slightly higher than the former and I also had to pay the processing fee, but I can now get the bike registered in my name, and not the bank.
That's great! Just make sure to check the effective interest rate based on the quoted EMI amounts.

Quote:
I now have to buy it from Delhi. Booked it at the Honda BigWing Delhi South (Lajpat Nagar). .
So you plan to ride your new bike from Delhi to Bengaluru? I did it when I took delivery of my car in Solan, HP and then drove down to Bengaluru over the next four days. The difference in on-road prices was substantial and justified the effort.
Old 12th February 2024, 15:29   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyntor View Post
Interesting. Did the BigWing dealer from Delhi agree to do BH registration for private sector employees? I'm assuming your employer has a presence in multiple states.
Yes, Delhi is one the few states/UTs providing BH registrations to eligible private sector employees without any fuss.
on2wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 15:53   #159
BHPian

6.35 lakh on-road Delhi for a 5.9 lakh ex showroom price CBU seems superb in the current scenario. Eligible individuals can buy from Delhi and send via rail to their home.
Old 12th February 2024, 16:03   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_eagle View Post
That's great! Just make sure to check the effective interest rate based on the quoted EMI amounts.

I did; that's how I reached at this number.

So you plan to ride your new bike from Delhi to Bengaluru? I did it when I took delivery of my car in Solan, HP and then drove down to Bengaluru over the next four days. The difference in on-road prices was substantial and justified the effort.
Can't tell you how excited I am at the thought of this. My bike has already reached the showroom. However, I plan to visit home with my family in April. So, my brother is going to take the delivery, ride it for 1000 km and get the first service done.
Old 12th February 2024, 19:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Booked it at the Honda BigWing Delhi South (Lajpat Nagar). I've also changed the color from Red to Black. On road price quoted is Rs. 6.35L with BH registration.
With BH registration, the initial ownership cost appears enticing. However, I'm eager to understand the resale value of BH series vehicles. Are there sufficient buyers willing to purchase them, given the additional registration costs for the remaining tenure? Additionally, do new buyers need to meet the prerequisites for acquiring a BH series vehicle?
Sachin_Nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 09:06   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair View Post
With BH registration, the initial ownership cost appears enticing. However, I'm eager to understand the resale value of BH series vehicles. Are there sufficient buyers willing to purchase them, given the additional registration costs for the remaining tenure? Additionally, do new buyers need to meet the prerequisites for acquiring a BH series vehicle?
Here. This should explain the different scenarios for resale of BH registered vehicles. Refer the DRAFT RULES on page 4 & 5.
https://morth.nic.in/sites/default/f...rk%20Rules.pdf
on2wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 09:15   #163
BHPian

My 2 cents.

Resale is an issue for BH Series - finding a buyer who meets BH norms who WANTS to buy second hand is not going to be easy.

Also if a buyer wants to convert to state registration, the additional cost will always be factored in resulting in a lower amount to the seller.
Old 14th February 2024, 01:55   #164
BHPian

Okay, so I have a question born of rather wishful thinking and am not sure if this would be the right thread. I am looking forward to upgrade from a FZ25 to a middleweight ADV motorcycle.

As much as I was in awe with the ADV 390, after riding it a few times, I started noticing its vibrations and buzzes, lacklustre low end and front-lightness in high speeds (The front end feels like its floating at 130+ speeds). And the buzzy nature became more evident when I test rode the Himalayan 450 which had comparably lesser vibrations. I am not considering the Himalayan because it has 21 inch spoke wheels (I would like to tour more than go offroad) and also I dont quite connect with the design language of the Himalayan. Its too circular for me.

And now the NX500 is launched. And then an upcoming ADV 390 is in the works. That might launch this year? So getting the current gen 390 ADV right now and calling it a day will be a little foolish I guess as its in the end of its product lifecycle. (I got the FZ25 in 2022 and it got discontinued recently, not going the same route again).

I have test rode the Duke 390 3rd gen, and felt quite some improvements in the low end of the revband, the topend is still ballistic and also the electronics is a joy to have. The screen looks super upmarket. It does still have some buzz and vibes and the owner confirmed too. He used to own a 2nd gen and now got the 3rd gen and says the buzz is comparable.

So, that brings me to the question of whether to wait for the new ADV or save in more money for the NX? I have no doubts on how phenomenal and bullet proof the NX will be. Have ridden a CB300R and came out mighty impressed. And thats only a single cyl Honda. But the price gap, and then accessories which cost a bomb, is it all really worth it? Or something like an ADV 390 is enough for the Indian touring scenario with light offroad trails at times? All the money saved can go into better gear, fuel and trips. But will the NX be a good long term investment (since its CBU and Honda being Honda, can discontinue it?) Also, any chances of this being discounted later? And right now, there are no timelines for the new ADV too. What are your thoughts?
SiLxNcE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 09:21   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
...But the price gap, and then accessories which cost a bomb, is it all really worth it? Or something like an ADV 390 is enough for the Indian touring scenario with light offroad trails at times? All the money saved can go into better gear, fuel and trips. But will the NX be a good long term investment (since its CBU and Honda being Honda, can discontinue it?) Also, any chances of this being discounted later? And right now, there are no timelines for the new ADV too. What are your thoughts?
I think you are asking the right questions

I'm currently watching and rewatching Season 01 of MotorInc's ThisConnect series. There's one episode on "How to pay for your dream car/motorcycle". I particularly resonated with what Karthikeya said - if you have 10 lakhs, spend 8.

That leaves you with enough buffer for various things, such as what you have listed yourself. And that's peace of mind unparalleled. Imagine having a vehicle which you really stretched for, but are anxious every time it goes into service or has repairs or needs new tyres etc. It's a huge dampener on what should otherwise be a great ownership experience.

shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed