Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 06:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Upgrade advice: Moving on from a Honda H'ness CB350

It is going to be tough to find a light weight bike as an upgrade. Do test ride the bikes and share your thoughts. I had similar requirements like you with an additional requirement of refinement. I went for CB300R.
dkar228 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 18:35   #17

Upgrade advice: Moving on from a Honda H'ness CB350-img_0436.jpeg

I’ve just test ridden the mavrick. It is just one of those bikes that is off the list straight away.

The dealership experience itself was a bit exhausting, with emails, printouts, forms, aadhar and finally a photograph of me on the bike all being involved (TVS on the other hand just threw me the keys and told me to take a spin)

First impressions, the looks are not something it’s going to score high on and Mavrick > HD x440. The seat was comfortable even if it looked a bit narrow, footpegs fine. The handlebars are something I feel will be a sore point for many owners, it is too wide and may cause discomfort for many people.

The weight distribution is ok, doesn’t feel too heavy for a 187 kg bike. The fit and finish is not its strength either, too many wires sticking out.

The bike itself honestly feels a bit lethargic compared to the CB 350. In 40-70 kmph it just felt like it was tugging along. It just didn’t pull like the CB does, but obviously didn’t get to test the higher gears in chennai traffic and that’s where it’s supposed to beat the CB, so perhaps a concession here is due.

I honestly didn’t feel how vibey it was until I got on CB right after and rode it home, it’s far away from butter smooth Honda, no argument. Night and day.

It seems like a good proposition for the price but just not something I’d consider.

I’m also thinking of skipping the Triumphs, 90% of the reason being I don’t want to slog through 15 km of traffic to the showroom
Maybe will visit the RE showroom and look at the Himi 450

At this point I’m down to 3 options, all things considered
1. RTR 310
2. Duke 250
3. CB 300R (some things, you get only from honda)

Will be looking for a side grade, as I just need an all rounder workhorse bike that is also a bit fun at this point rather than a track toy.

I’m leaning heavily towards the RTR 310, it just felt good, you just know, right?
Old 5th April 2024, 22:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonic View Post
1. RTR 310
2. Duke 250
3. CB 300R (some things, you get only from honda)

Will be looking for a side grade, as I just need an all rounder workhorse bike that is also a bit fun at this point rather than a track toy.

I’m leaning heavily towards the RTR 310, it just felt good, you just know, right?

One thing to note about the CB 300R, having gotten used to the 15 litre tank in the CB 350 H'hness, the 300R will be akin to having a scooter with a usable 8 litre tank. Having had one for a year and about 3500kms, the biggest grouse with the 300R is the meagre tank range and frequent visits to petrol pumps. When on highways, I prefer to not fill up in unknown pumps en-route and rather prefer to fill it at the destination based on recommendation of locals. But with the 300R, that is an impossibility on a 400kms ride. You will need at least 2 if not 3 refills. If you ride spiritedly it will drink more!! Barring this one negative, it is a wonderful, light chuckable bike in the city and stable at unmentionable speeds on highways as well. Consider that if you are really looking at 300R for your quarterly tours.

Duke 250 is an underated bike and in the current avatar is the most sane and easily recommendable of the lot of dukes currently on sale. Do take a test ride and decide.

PS: Sold the 300R and got a CB 350 RS. Somehow though the RS is lower on power, it feels more solid than the 300R on the road and at the speeds at which I tour, the RS seems better suited to me. Of course, I have hardly used the 5th gear since I got the bike 1500kms ago The best part is these 1500kms have come about in just 20 days of purchase comparing to the overall 3500kms on the 300R for entire year under similar circumstances. Comfort on the RS is higher for a 6'0 ft tall rider compared to the 300R too!
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:46   #19

You should take a look at the Suzuki Vstrom 250.
crazybiker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks