Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2007, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Unicorn Results: Coil Re-wounded!!

Got the coil of my Unicorn rewounded last week, could not find a good 60/55W bulb, the search ended today after getting a Osram Silverlite 60/55W. Here are the pics.

Light Throw:

Head on

Head on w/o Flash

Head on with Flash

Old 28th August 2007, 20:29   #2
BHPian

Can you post a bit more information about the whole process? I mean whats the gauge of coil you are using as oppose to what was there as stock?
Old 28th August 2007, 20:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

do u have a pic of the headlight before the work was done...could give us an idea of the change.
Old 28th August 2007, 20:39   #4
BHPian

hmm,I think I'd be extremely interested as the twin 35watt headlamps on my GF Laser hardly give any output...shall re-winding the coil help increase the glow from the headlights
Old 28th August 2007, 20:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

My stock unicorn gives a great spread,,even on highways..what are you guys trying to do..blind the opponents..??
Old 28th August 2007, 21:43   #6
BHPian

Try philips vision plus +50 and see the difference...
Old 28th August 2007, 22:00   #7
BHPian

Are the unicorn lights that bad. My cbZ lights are pretty bad, but do not trust any rewinding guy to do the job light. So have to pretty much grope in the dark.
Old 29th August 2007, 08:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nice work. I am looking at doing something similar. Please post details:

1) What equipment do I need to buy?
2) What is the cost of the whole thing?
3) Any other details you might have?

Thanks buddy!
Old 29th August 2007, 11:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
Can you post a bit more information about the whole process? I mean whats the gauge of coil you are using as oppose to what was there as stock?
I am not sure about the guage used but yes the cooper wire used is thicker than the stock one. I was not able to take any pics as well coz I was away frm the bike when it was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
do u have a pic of the headlight before the work was done...could give us an idea of the change.
Well i will have to check for a pic or if any of the other Unicorn users can post the headlight beam pic would be gr8.....btw all the pics were taken with the bike in idle except for the 1st one. Idling was at 1.4-1.5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
hmm,I think I'd be extremely interested as the twin 35watt headlamps on my GF Laser hardly give any output...shall re-winding the coil help increase the glow from the headlights
Yup certainly it will coz the power output increases
Old 29th August 2007, 11:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
My stock unicorn gives a great spread,,even on highways..what are you guys trying to do..blind the opponents..??
The spread will be great but the brightness will be comparitively very less I am sure of that and thats the reason i changed from stock. This mod is not to blind others but make sure I am not blinded by other ppl. If I use the low beam for any oncoming vehicle its perfectily fine, yup ofcourse if the opposite fellow is using high beam which is the case with majority of drivers here in bangalore then i just put my high beeam and voila!!! they lower their beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Try philips vision plus +50 and see the difference...
hmmm yeah this weekend I will do a search for philips bulbs, could not find any in JC Road.........Any1 knows a dealer for Philips Automative lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Are the unicorn lights that bad. My cbZ lights are pretty bad, but do not trust any rewinding guy to do the job light. So have to pretty much grope in the dark.
Yeah Unicorn lights are bad but not pathetic. Like you said I have groped in the dark for the past 1.5 years but no more
Old 29th August 2007, 11:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
hey

where exactly you rewinded the coil ( which place ) any info brother. i have a philips 60/55w crystal vision bulb it costed me 450 bucks. this is for my my cbz ex. i want to fix it up. please give me some details.
Hey where didya find that bulb for 450 bucks? Let me know the shop please. I got it done at Ruby Electricals, Krumbigal Road, Lalbagh Main Gate.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:37   #12
BANNED

What about mods to rectifire?as according to the load it should get changed, i am riding few old stuff and these changes also cant help coz of old headlight reflecters and holders.Tried fixing halogens but all waste.
Old 29th August 2007, 16:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
hey
i got it from mahalaxmi automobiles raj kumar road
rajajinagar( near dcb bank). didnt tell me can this bulb be fitted without any mods ( not re winding the coil). checkout and let me know lol. i am waiting.
Ok i will check them out. If the base of the bulb is P43T (3 pin ones) then it definately should do. Otherwise if theres a gr8 bulb but a diff base then the connector can always be changed ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
What about mods to rectifire?as according to the load it should get changed, i am riding few old stuff and these changes also cant help coz of old headlight reflecters and holders.Tried fixing halogens but all waste.
Yes the rectifier or some call it regulator needs to be changed to take the increase in load. THe place where the re-wouding was done they only changed it. ;-)

You are right we need a clear lens reflector to really capitalize on the mod. In this respect I feel Unicorn reflector is pretty good, its just that Honda has drastically reduced the power of the OEM bulb. With a higher capacity bulb and power the reflector works like charm on dishing out light. SPread is real good.
Old 29th August 2007, 17:44   #14
BHPian

A few months ago, I had got this done for my splendor. Its worth it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-splendor.html
Old 29th August 2007, 18:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
A few months ago, I had got this done for my splendor. Its worth it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-splendor.html
Any pics of before and after

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks