Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 13:56   #1
BHPian

Engine oil issue.

Hi,

I have a Pulsar 150, the digital speedo one.
Run 12k already. I don't know many things about two wheelers, so i need al your help.

Till date my bike has been behaving perfectly, apart from a single issue. It works normally under all circumstances except when i take her for a long ride and keep my speeds at the range of 80kmpl and above constantly for a quite long distance, the engine oil level drops significantly.

I need your help to sort this out. The terrain I ride on is hilly terrain. So you can understand she does around 7k~8k rpms during theese time.

Hope for some pointers to resolve the issue soon.
Old 8th September 2007, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Drops significantly meaning you need to top up again or does it return to normal after being stationary for a while?
Old 8th September 2007, 15:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

and do you see smoke when you rip?
Old 8th September 2007, 17:09   #4
BHPian

Well I need to top it up. And no smoke. I have checked it using a follow behind me. Anotherthing I noticed is Black deposites, on the side of the big nut on the front part of the engine near Top. Most probably dirt attracted by engine oil vapour escaping from its side. Is this possible explaination of loss of engine oil in a Pulsar.?
Old 8th September 2007, 17:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

check for minor leakages!
Old 8th September 2007, 18:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post

when i take her for a long ride and keep my speeds at the range of 80kmpl and above constantly for a quite long distance, the engine oil level drops significantly.

I need your help to sort this out. The terrain I ride on is hilly terrain. So you can understand she does around 7k~8k rpms during theese time.

Hope for some pointers to resolve the issue soon.
I guess you mean speeds of 80 KPH and above.. A few pointers:

I'm just confirming the method you use to check the engine oil. Because, when the engine is running, the oil is circulated within it. In order to check the level of engine oil, you need to park the bike on the main stand; over a gradient free surface for at least 30 minutes, so all the engine oil flows back and collects at the bottom (known as sump). Then pull out the dipstick, wipe it, and put it back in without screwing the top. The engine oil level should be between the two marks/shaded portion on the dipstick. As long as you can see oil on the indicated marker; there shouldn't be a problem.

A 4-Stroke engine consumes engine oil only when the piston rings are fried; which allow oil to leak into the combustion chamber. Since you have done just 12K on the odo, and your exhaust is smoke-free- the chances of the piston rings being fried are highly unlikely (unless it is a manufacturing defect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
Anotherthing I noticed is Black deposites, on the side of the big nut on the front part of the engine near Top. Most probably dirt attracted by engine oil vapour escaping from its side. Is this possible explaination of loss of engine oil in a Pulsar.
An ideal 4-stroke engine should be leakage-free. The dirt will only be attracted even when there is a slight oil leak. Check all the rubber-washers and crankcase gaskets to ensure that there is no leak. Also ensure that the oil draining bolt at the bottom is secured and also check the oil seals.
Old 8th September 2007, 21:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Excessive engine oil consumption may be due to loss of compression in the engine. Get your engine compression checked.
Old 10th September 2007, 20:25   #8
BHPian

Hey guys, Thanks for your inputs, I finally found the problem with the Bike. I always check the oil in the morning before I start the bike. So the engine has rested the whole night. @doomsday, you are right the gradient of the place where i park my bike is not perfect so in the watchglass the level shown is less. Last night I parked it in a perfectly plain area and today I had to drain out some engine oil as its level was tooo high. And for the gasket will be changed day after tomorrow when the bike goes for its 5th service. Thanks guys again for your advice.

So after all a car's engine and a bike's engine are not very different at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks