Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 14:36   #481
Team-BHP Support

Nice bike, exorbitant price will keep more of these at the showrooms
Old 8th October 2009, 14:40   #482
BHPian

I think Techno summed it up , expensive 'yes' , overpriced 'no'

People would have cribbed even if it was 2L ex showroom. Good things don't come cheap.And why did people even think that this would be the poor man's superbike?
Old 8th October 2009, 14:46   #483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
People would have cribbed even if it was 2L ex showroom.
Why do you say so?

Regards
Spitfire
Old 8th October 2009, 14:56   #484
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't have cribbed.

I would have booked it.

Now I can't.
Old 8th October 2009, 14:58   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Why do you say so?

Regards
Spitfire
Because people expect it to be much cheaper , they will always compare it with the comet 1.69ex shoroom price.

Even if it was 1.7L ex shorrom , people would have cribbed about the US price and getting the carbed version to make it cheaper along with the BAL's repute to bring in low cost bikes.

In the end , one who has the money will buy it. An enthusiast with enuf money in pocket will not bother about 40-50 thousand.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:06   #486
Senior - BHPian

Why does everyone presume that every enthusiast is filthy rich?

I agree there is no upper limit to rides and no one can afford everything, but this is the only real sportsbike in the market right now.

I read somewhere back in the thread that the Euro spec is priced at US $ 4500.

Lets suppose that it actually costs the company US $ 3000.
This translates into Rs. 1,44,000

Now lets apply the duty at 11%.
Now the cost is Rs 1,59,840

Now positioning it as BAL has right now, its earning them 1 lac per bike.

Are you really sure that BAL is doing its best to price it competitively and people hoping it'd be 1.8-2 are just plain stupid?

Even if you consider the actual cost to be higher at US $3500, the cost price in India translates to 1.86 lacs.

The ball is in your court.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:10   #487
BANNED

Quote:
Because people expect it to be much cheaper , they will always compare it with the comet 1.69ex shoroom price.
People are comparing it to the F650 too. Does the comparison count?

Like EssYouWe above said i was ready too for a 2 lakh ex-showroom price too.

Neither do i get the comparison with US and european markets.

This is a bike which a lot like me thought we could go out there and buy for a higher but reasonable cost. Yes and the thinking was a lot due to the fact that Bajaj was getting it here - low cost.

Now the same sentiments won't be echoed for a Harley Davidson. We know it won't be affordable to the majority of us even if we want to have one.

Who here compares a R1 costing 12 lakhs to a Harley costing almost double of it.

Get the point?

Last edited by Spitfire : 8th October 2009 at 15:12.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:26   #488
Senior - BHPian

Bad VFM. :(

Cheers,

Jay
Old 8th October 2009, 15:29   #489
BHPian

@spitfire
Dont get me wrong here but I dont think BAL will make a mistake on the Pricing front, I think this is the best they could do. If it was really possible to get it within 2L then R15 was history and BAL would love it. But the whole process must be costly setting up service centers, Assembly lines and trained mechanics and assemblers. Hence the cost.
Though as you said (what you said was not cribbing, i am saying it too), had they priced it within 2L ex showroom. It would have been a major hit.

Infact techno summed it beautifully.
And dont forget the bike is totally japanese I have driven a japanese import RX and the difference is there to see.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:30   #490
Senior - BHPian

Man 3 Lakh for this Ninja. come on its really sad. I mean just look at the speedo, it looks as if it has been copied from Rajdoot bikes which we used to have millions years ago. I had high hopes but it all crashed after seeing the pics.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:41   #491
BHPian

I had a recent visit to god's place, and I found my green demon sitting there. Booking starts in 2 days, im the first.. pictures dont make any justice to the bike you need to see it in person.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:48   #492
BHPian

I don't understand this pricing debate going on here. People, this is not any ordinary 250cc we are talking about here, its Ninja, and that too its full blown 2010 EU spec model. Its the highest selling 250cc in the world. Please keep this in mind.

Bajaj could have brought in an older generation model with minimal specs and still sold it for 2.2L. And it would have sold equal numbers if not more. I appreciate the fact that they didn't and brought us the latest model.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:48   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Why does everyone presume that every enthusiast is filthy rich?

I agree there is no upper limit to rides and no one can afford everything, but this is the only real sportsbike in the market right now.

I read somewhere back in the thread that the Euro spec is priced at US $ 4500.

Lets suppose that it actually costs the company US $ 3000.
This translates into Rs. 1,44,000

Now lets apply the duty at 11%.
Now the cost is Rs 1,59,840

Now positioning it as BAL has right now, its earning them 1 lac per bike.

Are you really sure that BAL is doing its best to price it competitively and people hoping it'd be 1.8-2 are just plain stupid?

Even if you consider the actual cost to be higher at US $3500, the cost price in India translates to 1.86 lacs.

The ball is in your court.
Who said following a hobby is cheap?

If you are a photography enthusiast and have 5k in your pocket, what will you do? crib that DSLR's don't come cheap ? oh and the L series lenses should cost 1000 bucks each.

BTW , this cost thing that you have mentioned , I think BAL knows how to do business more than we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
People are comparing it to the F650 too. Does the comparison count?

Like EssYouWe above said i was ready too for a 2 lakh ex-showroom price too.

Neither do i get the comparison with US and european markets.

This is a bike which a lot like me thought we could go out there and buy for a higher but reasonable cost. Yes and the thinking was a lot due to the fact that Bajaj was getting it here - low cost.

Now the same sentiments won't be echoed for a Harley Davidson. We know it won't be affordable to the majority of us even if we want to have one.

Who here compares a R1 costing 12 lakhs to a Harley costing almost double of it.

Get the point?
Maybe you and essyouwe were ready to buy the bike @2L , what about other enthusiasts who can't even stretch the budget to buy an R15.

another eg- How many bulleteers buy the electra or std 350 coz they can't afford the 500LB ?
Old 8th October 2009, 15:58   #494
BANNED

Quote:
BTW , this cost thing that you have mentioned , I think BAL knows how to do business more than we do.
I believe a customer is a better judge of a price then the seller. Believe me.

Quote:
Maybe you and essyouwe were ready to buy the bike @2L , what about other enthusiasts who can't even stretch the budget to buy an R15.
So invariably nothings justified.

Quote:
another eg- How many bulleteers buy the electra or std 350 coz they can't afford the 500LB ?
A lot a huge bloody lot. Trust me
Old 8th October 2009, 16:02   #495
Senior - BHPian

If BAL knows how to do business better than us, then so do all the other firms in this whole world.

Anytime we decide to criticise a firm for incorrect pricing, we should just shut up as we do not know as much as they do.

Right?

And if something is supposed to be expensive, does that mean we should be okay with spending a lot more than it is worth because we covet something that is expensive?

That seems flawed logic to me.

I don't get your point. You make compromises wherever you are forced. Simple as that. If someone does not have that kind of money they do not buy it. Just like me and spitfire won't buy the Ninja now.

What I contested was your opinion that all enthusiasts who have 2 lacs would not mind spending another 50-60k. Either you wish to imply we are not enthusiasts or you think all enthusiasts are rolling in greenbacks.
The 2 lacs was already after stretching ourselves...The 50-60k extra was just one pull too many.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks