Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 14:44   #1
BHPian

2003 Caliber 115 - Refurbish or Upgrade?

Friends,

I have a March 2003 Kawasaki Caliber 115. Read more about it here...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hoodibaba.html

Bike now has 62000 on the odo. I am now planning to refurb this bike after Diwali or buy another higher cc bike in March 2008

If I refurb, here is all that is required:
1. Upgrade to Platina Alloys - Should I change tyres as well? These tyres have done only 18k and have a lot of tread left.
2. Upgrade to SnS Shocks at the back.
3. Get the T-bearings changed
4. Get a paint job - I will prefer shades of blue so that I do not have to get the RC book changed.
5. Change the front assembly since my headlamp glass has a small crack
6. Engine powder coating if possible
7. Seat is coming of at the seams. Need to fix that.
8. Engine flush and decarb

All of the above will set me back by about 20000 rupees. I also need to know a good place in or around South Mumbai to get these done.

The other option is to upgrade in 6 months time. I am a tall person, and very few bikes actually measure up. I am also not a pulsar fan and find it very common. Ride quality and mileage is very important since bike is my primary mode of transport. I only take out my car when it has more than 3 occupants.
What do you think would be an ideal upgrade?

So what do you guys say, refurb or upgrade later?

Let your thoughts pour in.

Thanks & Happy Riding!
Old 7th October 2007, 14:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess you should upgrade, and since you dont like Pulsars, buy a Unicorn in that respol attire
Old 7th October 2007, 15:02   #3
BHPian

To be very honest, the Caliber seating is the most comfortable one can have. Unicorn loses out in the comfort zone.

Besides, i will have to tinker with the handlebar so that it can allow a 6.1 ft biker to sit comfortably.
Old 7th October 2007, 15:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

instead of SNS shocks its better that you go in for gas filled shocks from pulsar and platina alloys are 17 inches, so u also need to change the tyres and the rear sprocket
Old 7th October 2007, 15:29   #5
BHPian

Dont we get 18 inch alloys? I have just changed both the sprockets and chain few weeks ago.
Will the gas shocks fit on the Caliber?
Old 7th October 2007, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

then u have to buy alloys of some other brand.. these days malaysian alloys are also avaialble with same looks
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:21   #7
BHPian

How time flies!!!

This thread is about 9 months old, and I still haven't refurbed my bike yet.
The only changes to my list above are as follows:
1. Dropping the alloys plan for now. Instead I will go for plating the rims once again.
2. The seam of the seat is now ripped by about 6 inches. Will have to replace the entire outer layer of the seat.

I am planning to do these changes post monsoon. The bike would have covered 72K by then.

Can someone from South Mumbai suggest a good place to get these things done?

My trusted mechanic for 5 years had quoted a figure of 3.5k for everything except the alloys. The only problem is that the painter operates on a very busy street and obviously the paint job will suffer in that environment.

I have dropped my plans for a new bike at the moment since I feel the bike should easily reach 1L kms without any issues. Thats another 2 yrs or 30kms from now.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO, avoid opening the engine in any case.
Drop alloys plan.
Go for Sns and they work perfectly. I was involved for one friend for doing this.
Avoid paint job. You wont be able to get a good paint job done mostly.
Get entire new seat.
Also replace the light coil along with headlamp assembly. In case of 115, the bulb came with coil and wiring as costed 690 in 2007 i.e April 2007. I was actually planning to refurbish my Feb 1999 Caliber bcak in April 2007.
Old 24th June 2008, 01:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I have dropped my plans for a new bike at the moment since I feel the bike should easily reach 1L kms without any issues. Thats another 2 yrs or 30kms from now.

First of all congrats for this decision. I can imagine how much emotional attachment is there between you and the motorcycle now (as a m/cyclist in heart I know). Since it is a bike, no big money deal as in case of a car, and you will get a very less amount in second hand market (may be some Ks to pay the down payment for a new bike) keeping a well maintained trustworthy bike is not a bad decision at all. And by doing necessary maintenance, she will clock 1L or more easly. I would really advice you to keep this baby forever .

Apart from others suggested, I would check following things if it is a major refurb
(As aaggoswami suggested, avoid full dismantling of engine. From your description the bike has no major problem to do that. But if you have a good trustworthy mech, I would advice for a piston rings change as it will help a lot. By this time there would be some piston slap and loss of compression for sure)

1.Change rear shocks
2.Change front shock springs (stumps too if they are outta shape) and oil
3.Change spark plug
4.Change wheel bearings
5.Change chain and sprocket set
6.Check valves and seating
7.Decarb
8.A carb cleaning and change air filter
9.Change all cables (throttle + clutch)
10.Check timing chain
11.Repaint (both body and chassis)
12.Change tyres if needed
13.Check wheels and chrome it, changing defective spokes
14.Change all oils
15.Check electricals and change battery if needed
16.Clutch plates
17.Seat and cosmetics

Consider the above things and do the needful for each part if required. The bike will run for years.

Last edited by redfire : 24th June 2008 at 01:26.
Old 24th June 2008, 16:14   #10
BHPian

Thanks Redfire! Thats a pretty exhaustive list. That too without looking at the bike. Bikers wavelength

1.Change rear shocks - Got the rubbers changed 18 months back. Will go for SNS this time.
2.Change front shock springs (stumps too if they are outta shape) and oil - Oil has been changed twice earlier. Will change stumps since they have small rust spots which crack the oil seals
3.Change spark plug - Yes, its due
4.Change wheel bearings - Front bearings were changed at 60k
5.Change chain and sprocket set - Changed at 55k
6.Check valves and seating - Need more info on that
7.Decarb - Yes, that is planned. Need more info.
8.A carb cleaning and change air filter - Done every 5k
9.Change all cables (throttle + clutch) - Yes, its due. Throttle and clutch cables have been changed earlier at 45k. Will change brake cable also. Odo cable has been replaced 6 times.
10.Check timing chain - Need more info
11.Repaint (both body and chassis) - Yes
12.Change tyres if needed - Changed tyres at 43k. Current tyres have a 20k of life remaining
13.Check wheels and chrome it, changing defective spokes - Planned
14.Change all oils - Engine oil changed every 2.5k
15.Check electricals and change battery if needed. Battery changed at 55k. Electricals are in top shape. Not even a bulb has fused in 63 months. The wiring is a bit hard. I will get that changed.
16.Clutch plates - Do you change them even if the clutch is not slipping at all?
17.Seat and cosmetics - planned.
Old 24th June 2008, 16:21   #11
BHPian

Thanks Aagoswami for your reply. I have been following your caliber threads too.

In my case, paint job is unavoidable since the tank has developed a few rust spots. I will have to get those repaired at the welder and then it will need to be painted.

The other option is getting a new tank which is 2900 bucks, plus the color will not match perfectly with the 5yr old body. For that price, I can get a paint job, which makes more sense.
Old 24th June 2008, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Where are all the South Mumbai bikers?

I need to know some good places to get this done
Old 24th June 2008, 22:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my case, paint job is unavoidable since the tank has developed a few rust spots. I will have to get those repaired at the welder and then it will need to be painted.
Go for a new tank. Repairing wont be that good. I have seen various cases. But if you are sure about the welder, then its no problem.

Quote:
The other option is getting a new tank which is 2900 bucks, plus the color will not match perfectly with the 5yr old body. For that price, I can get a paint job, which makes more sense.
This might look bad, but new paint job will erase some resale value. New Tank is a safer bet.

Quote:

Thanks Aagoswami for your reply. I have been following your caliber threads too.

Thanks. I am really happy to find Caliber fans here. .
They are very, very rare.
Old 25th June 2008, 00:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Dont spend so much money on the bike. I suggest a 5k expenditure to keep her in good condition, or else upgrade to another bike.

Just my honest 2 cents
Old 25th June 2008, 14:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont spend so much money on the bike. I suggest a 5k expenditure to keep her in good condition, or else upgrade to another bike.

Just my honest 2 cents
well yes i agree completely, go ahead and spend all that money on the bike only if you have a strong attachment to the bike like say GTO and his jeep or EDMUND and his M800, otherwise no.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks