Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2004, 01:02   #1

I want to buy a new bike. My budget is upto 60000/-. I have narrowed my choices to CBZ and Pulsar 180 DTSi. My daily usage is about 25 to 30km and an occasional long drive on week-ends. I have test driven both the bikes and feel that CBZ is definitely more sporty than pulsar although Pulsar has more power. But then issues like efficiency, technology come up and Pulsar clearly wins in that. Both the bikes look good, but the CBZ looks more balanced. I also found CBZ to be more comfortable for long rides.
So I am in real confusion now. My head says Pulsar but my heart says CBZ.
Also the local Hero Honda Dealer said that Hero Honda is going to launch a new bike with specs similar to CBZ sometime soon. Is it true? Are there any other options available for a sporty bike which are worth considering? I tried GF170 and new Fiero but am not satisfied with either of them.
Suggestions awaited.
Old 9th April 2004, 12:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Apart from looks and probably handling, the Pulsar 180 DTSi is a clear winner against the CBZ. I therefore recommend the Pulsar.
Old 9th April 2004, 12:38   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The new CBZ just has a diff carb and some sick graphics. I guess the best option will be a 180 DTSi. Its got good looks and performance. And also an xtra spark plug. Agreed CBZ looks much more balanced and sportier than the Pulsar. But oevrall , the Pulsar is the winner. GF170 is a good bike. But i wudnt trust Kinetics build quality. And Fiero has only 4 gears. Otherwise its a god bike.
SO i suggest u go for a 180 DTSi.
Old 9th April 2004, 12:41   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Check this link for new CBZ pics : XBhp.com : PICS : New Cbz Launched
Pics Courtesy : Rash_rp
Old 9th April 2004, 13:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

As a pulsar owner myself (the original 180), there's not a lot of good I can say about the ownership experience. The build qulaity of the Pulsar is bad, switches etc are shabby and even my '82 GS450 had better and more modern looking switches. The service...well, forget about it! I have tried all the dealers in South bombay, and they are TERRIBLE. They treat you like sh*t...treat your bike worse and charge you for things they have not done. I got my bike back with my fork chipped once, and the dealer said that it was MY fault!! After a lot of arguing and threatening, they finally admitted and changed the fork at their cost, but to get their revenge, they scratched up my speedo/tacho bad.

They advertise a 2 year warrenty, but try getting anything out of that and I'd say you were lucky. My bike is 1.5 yrs old, and its got a leak from the block...which the dealers say is not covered under warranty as the gassket is "not metal"!! ***!!! The valve cover was leaking from day 1...1 horn has gone on the blink, the starter clutch is terrible, the gearshift tries its best to throw you off the bike in fast corners by jumping out of gear...

I've not owned a CBZ, but i've heard good things about their build. Although the pulsar is a faster and more modern bike, to me, its shortcomings in all other areas far outnumber the positives.

conclusion: go for the CBZ...it is a Honda afterall.
Old 9th April 2004, 16:06   #6

i just bought a 180 dtsi 18 days back. Since then have done 528 kms. It seems to be a good bike but i guess its too early to tell. The handling is great. Good pick up, rock stady at 100 (havent taken it more than that as wasnt supposed to take it above 65 in the first place) and got an average of 38 kmpl on my first 500 kms. Never driven a cbz so cant really give a comparative opinion.
Old 9th April 2004, 16:33   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

ya ur right abt build quality and ownership experience. In that case the CBZ is the best.
The Pulsar is a modern bike compared to the CBZ. Thanks to DTSi. The only disadvantage are the dealers. I too had lotsa problems while claimin warranty.
Old 11th June 2004, 17:07   #8

well.... pulsar 180 dtsi is a gud bike but for it's dealers n the quality..... i have had both the bikes n i m more happy f with the CBZ.. it's a balanced bike... mine's done abt 40,000km n it still rocks.. beaten the pulsars in the drag...!! amazin bike the CBZ is..... gone in for the HONDA dude... u wonn regret it..!!
Old 12th June 2004, 15:07   #9
BHPian

the new cbz really is not upto the expectation bcoz of the sick graphix pulsar 180 dts-i is a very refined bike. i think pulsar shud be the best buy.
Old 14th June 2004, 09:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had a CBZ for a few years. I still regret why I sold that bike.

Man I love that. May be Pulsar 180 is better but never got on it. . CBZ thrills. Wish I did not sell my CBZ.

Old 14th June 2004, 12:10   #11
Tom
BHPian

Too many opinions will only confuse you further.
Follow your heart!
Old 15th June 2004, 13:44   #12

Right said by tom!!
follow ur heart dude 'n go for the CBZ!!
i am an owner of one and would like to tell u that i had no problem with warranty as NOTHING went wrong till warranty period. and yes, no trouble after that too!! bike still rokin'!!
GO FOR IT !!!!
Old 26th October 2004, 16:55   #13
BHPian

i own a pulsar 180 , it really rocks man!!!once in a month i used to have a long trip. i dint find any difficulty in the long rides. i've ridden cbz too.. gear box for cbz is better than pulsar i guess.. it's the best sporty bike for a 150 cc ..In overall performance ofcourse pulsar beats cbz...
Old 26th October 2004, 18:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rtech's post says it all. If u want peace of mind and value for money, then definitely go for the CBZ. I suggest that u wait a bit 'cos i'd read somewhere what HH is launching 2 new models by early next year. Another option is to increase ur budget by Rs10000 and go for the Karizma (if u can't wait). Don't know where u are but the Karizma is now priced at Rs69000 in the metros.
Old 26th October 2004, 19:49   #15

PULSAR RULEZ...
yeah CBZ 's got gud looks.. but the DTSi is definitely better when compared with the latest cbz.. and so better performance any day !! ....
so also macha.. go for the TAG LINE >> PULSAR - " DEFINITELY MALE " heh heh !!

>_rG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks