Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Will Honda Unicorn takeover the Pulsar? - 150cc King.....
Yes 73 46.50%
No 70 44.59%
Can't say 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2004, 22:33   #16
BHPian

Sai , I am sure that the Monoshocker"UNICORN" will take over the Pulsar but dont forget BAJAJ is an Old Jack in the Trade, and has had an impact on the people ever since it started.It is sure to do something to get back at Honda.
Old 23rd October 2004, 01:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

today, i saw the very first unicorn on the road. it was a black one. i spoke to the owner who didn't know much about bikes except that it was a honda with a promised mileage of 60kmpl. the paint quality, finish, instrument panel were amazing... just looked like new honda city.
Old 26th November 2004, 21:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

now that the pulsar has been upgraded with alloys,fatter rear 17" tyre,gas shocks
i wonder if unicorn will still have an advantage apart from the honda tag?
Old 23rd February 2005, 14:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have test ridden the Unicorn n i must say it was an underwhelming exp. Firstly the seat on pants feeling is nothing compared with the pulsar, the sitting position is too much commuter like, but the engine is unbelievebly smooth and quality is quite good and i quite like the styling but then u dont even get a leg guard as a standard fitment! I dont think it will be able to overtake Pulsar, but will eat the CBZ market!
I think the new pulsar with engine mods, alloy rims, dual horns, fat rear tyre is now unbeatable! KUDOS BAJAJ! HONDA u got real fight ahead!
Old 23rd February 2005, 17:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

saw the cnbc autoshow yesterday they had a pulsar150 vs unicorn on the show....and the verdict was tat unicorn is a commuter bike with a biggish engine and pulsar aims to be a enthusiast's bike....for the engine both got 4 stars out of 5...for handling pulsar got a 4.5 and unicorn got a 3.5....pulsar handles better according to the show.
Old 23rd February 2005, 20:12   #21
BHPian

pulsar...rules...

dudes overall....
the unicorn is to small....
the pulsar is power hungry...
with a good rider.....
the pulsar will rip anything(bike) indian in sight..
Old 23rd February 2005, 20:24   #22
BHPian

Given both the bikes, a no knowledge person would definetly pich the Pulsar, given the 17" alloys. Now the Honda on the other hand, looks like a plain Jane is comparsion.
But, somebody who's got even the slightest know how about bikes and especially knows what a great bike maker Bajaj is will never give the Pulsar even a look.
Old 24th February 2005, 00:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben
Given both the bikes, a no knowledge person would definetly pich the Pulsar, given the 17" alloys. Now the Honda on the other hand, looks like a plain Jane is comparsion.
But, somebody who's got even the slightest know how about bikes and especially knows what a great bike maker Bajaj is will never give the Pulsar even a look.
disgusting.it is the other way around dude.that is why TBHP is full of fiat fans.a person with knowledge looks at the specs,performance,VFM,economy and the company.A person with no knowlege looks at the milege and brand image.

Pulsar is noway a poor bike compared to the Unicorn.fact is the engine is a little harsh because of the twin sparks and its rev happy nature.it is also a more performance oriented machine wheras the unicorn is tuned to give refinement and milege.Pulsar definately rides and handles better than the Unicorn.it is also more VFM.Unicorn does have a very good engine and build but hte pulsar is not farbehind in terms of quality either.see the new bikes.

so u see it is all name game here.a person with some knowledge will surely give the pulsar a look.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 24th February 2005 at 00:40.
Old 24th February 2005, 01:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
disgusting.it is the other way around dude.that is why TBHP is full of fiat fans.a person with knowledge looks at the specs,performance,VFM,economy and the company.A person with no knowlege looks at the milege and brand image.

Pulsar is noway a poor bike compared to the Unicorn.fact is the engine is a little harsh because of the twin sparks and its rev happy nature.it is also a more performance oriented machine wheras the unicorn is tuned to give refinement and milege.Pulsar definately rides and handles better than the Unicorn.it is also more VFM.Unicorn does have a very good engine and build but hte pulsar is not farbehind in terms of quality either.see the new bikes.

so u see it is all name game here.a person with some knowledge will surely give the pulsar a look.
Dude, I have driven the P150 DTSI, (without mag wheels and the small dia handle bar) Engine refinement is horrible and so is the throttle response but, then again the P150 is not meant to be a performance bike, its more of a commuter, only the new P150 apperars sporty due to the mag wheels, smaller dia handle(which has improved high speed manuveurs) and the new shocks which to an extent has taken care of the bouncing and bottoming of the bike.
Other than that there's not much to talk about the bike. Consider the horrible reliability issues and the downgrade service they offer.
Technological tibits like DTSI and ExhauteC have been provided to keep it pulling in the crowds.
Now, I'm no big fan of either bikes but, given the choice the Unicorn seems a better buy in the long run.
I have'nt even mentioned about the rattling noice that the clutch mount on the Pulsar makes, others would definetly pitch in their experiences with the bike. I have'nt paid a close attention to the problems associated with the Pulsars.
Old 24th February 2005, 19:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have a pulsar 180dtsi(mags) dude.new one.there is nothing i have found that suggests that it is low quality or unrefined.First go and ride one new model and then talk.Unicorn has no street presence.when i said p150 is sporty it is when compared to the Unicorn not the Karizma.DTSi ,exaust tech are not tech gimics.they are very much present and do what they are supposed to do.Fact is that u know nothing about what thay do.
Old 24th February 2005, 22:49   #26
BHPian

[quote=merve_extreme]Ithere is nothing i have found that suggests that it is low quality

Now where did I talk about low quality???? I never did and where did the P180 come into the picture????? we're talking about the P150 and the Unicorn here. P180 is a good bike, no doubts.
But, the bike in question is the P150. right????

Exhaust tec improves the low end torque, better evacuation of exhaust gases and has aided in a bit more power and so is the the DTSI, BUT no way have these titbits done anything about the engine refinement or the clutch rattle.
Old 24th February 2005, 22:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
DTSi ,exaust tech are not tech gimics.they are very much present and do what they are supposed to do.Fact is that u know nothing about what thay do.
Alright Mr.Genius, please shed some light on what the break thru' technological marvels DTSI and ExhausTec do!!!!

Last edited by Akkiben : 24th February 2005 at 22:57.
Old 25th February 2005, 03:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben
Alright Mr.Genius, please shed some light on what the break thru' technological marvels DTSI and ExhausTec do!!!!
about the P180.i said i own one(have test riden the p150).i did not mention anything about it.i am still talking of the p150.

DTSi and exaust tec were never said to be marvels.they just improve the overall effeciency of the engine.u want to know what they do.

DTSi-Digital Twin Spark ignition.2 sparkplugs instead of conventional one sparkplug.both fire at same time resulting in complete combution of fuel in the cylinder.It increases fuel effecieny and power and reduces emission.hence p150 has 148cc engine and 13.5 bhp.average about 48-52kmpl and p180 has 178cc engine 16.5 bhp.43-45kmpl avg.Mercs also have 2 sparkplugs per cylinder(if u want to know).

Exaust tec-It is not a technological marvel.It is just a back pressure box fitted near the start of the silencer(have u seen it?).What it does is it uses the pressure of the Exaust gases to improve the low end torque(torque at lower RPM).it in turn helps drivability at low speeds and prevent knocking of the engine when accelerating(from lower speed) in higher gears.

so is it ok now.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 25th February 2005 at 03:21.
Old 25th February 2005, 17:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

hey nice info about the exhaut tec dude...didnt know abut that.
cheers
Old 25th February 2005, 20:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

actuall fullform of exaust tec is.Exaust Torque expansion chamber.

Most Viewed