Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will Honda Unicorn takeover the Pulsar? - 150cc King.....
Yes 73 46.50%
No 70 44.59%
Can't say 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2005, 23:17   #31

Quote:
quote:
by pscholyn:

dudes overall....
the unicorn is to small....
the pulsar is power hungry...
with a good rider.....
the pulsar will rip anything(bike) indian in sight..

dude hav eaten up many a pulsar 150s on my fiero (2000 model)!!!
don think ur claims upto it..!
Old 28th February 2005, 20:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
about the P180.i said i own one(have test riden the p150).i did not mention anything about it.i am still talking of the p150.

DTSi and exaust tec were never said to be marvels.they just improve the overall effeciency of the engine.u want to know what they do.

DTSi-Digital Twin Spark ignition.2 sparkplugs instead of conventional one sparkplug.both fire at same time resulting in complete combution of fuel in the cylinder.It increases fuel effecieny and power and reduces emission.hence p150 has 148cc engine and 13.5 bhp.average about 48-52kmpl and p180 has 178cc engine 16.5 bhp.43-45kmpl avg.Mercs also have 2 sparkplugs per cylinder(if u want to know).

Exaust tec-It is not a technological marvel.It is just a back pressure box fitted near the start of the silencer(have u seen it?).What it does is it uses the pressure of the Exaust gases to improve the low end torque(torque at lower RPM).it in turn helps drivability at low speeds and prevent knocking of the engine when accelerating(from lower speed) in higher gears.

so is it ok now.
Yes, it is ok now, though I knew as to what the DTSI did, was not quite sure of the exhaust tec!!!
Old 1st March 2005, 12:38   #33
BHPian

Unicorn - Honda brand name and monoshock..

Pulsar - everything else that u look for..

Deifnetly a sensible guy would go for the pulsie.. Atleast I would.. Ya, i'm sensible..

_Unicorn wont overtake the pulsar_
Old 10th March 2005, 19:03   #34
BHPian

people! i've heard that the spares for the unicorn are way costlier than the pulsie...how far is this true???
Old 12th March 2005, 00:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

100 % true
U will be surprised to know that a few countable Splendour spares cost more thans the Pulsar. The oil crank is one example.
Old 12th March 2005, 01:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

i have heard(from a bajaj dealer) that the 2005 pulsar(both 150 and 180) is in short supply due to heavy demand.
Old 20th October 2005, 16:38   #37

Hey ppl...me new to this place actually. i got something to say about the Unicorn Vs Pulsar thing going on here. i think unicorn is a performance bike as opposed to any pulsar which are good for looks.
performance is the thing that u want from a bike and unicorn has loads of it...be it acceleration, handling, fuel eff etc. so one would have to give a 9/10 for unicorn in performance and 7/10 in styling...whereas for the pulsar twins with mag wheels u could give 9/10 for styling and 7/10 for performance.
Old 20th October 2005, 17:02   #38
BHPian

surely man any day honda rulz man
Old 20th October 2005, 19:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastnFurious
performance is the thing that u want from a bike and unicorn has loads of it...be it acceleration, handling, fuel eff etc. so one would have to give a 9/10 for unicorn in performance and 7/10 in styling...whereas for the pulsar twins with mag wheels u could give 9/10 for styling and 7/10 for performance.
In performance i would rate both Pulsar and Unicorn equally and didn't find much of difference. Only advantage with honda is the smoothness of the engine and reliability.
Old 20th October 2005, 19:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachometer
dude hav eaten up many a pulsar 150s on my fiero (2000 model)!!!
don think ur claims upto it..!
i second you my friend....
Infact I've lost count of how many p150's I've smoked wid the fiero and also my friends fiero...
infact after my 200cc conversion, i've started eating the p180 and the zma too.....
there are many xbhpians from bangalore who will vouch for this....
Old 20th October 2005, 19:46   #41
BHPian

Frankly, I will pick a unicorn over a pulsar coz its more rider friendly, but the pulsar wins in sheer looks.....i'll give the pulsar 9/10 for looks.....
however, the only thing that bugs me on a unicorn despite the sweet engine is the short gearing....sure it does a quicker 0-60 and 100, but then it spoils the party......
i recently carried jetting on my friends uni and the bike moved really well, but the brick-wall rev limiter came too soon for the power it made....infact spoiling the whole fun...
infact i wish Honda could get the rev liliter past 10k and it would have been a better bike to rip, gear-t0-gear!
I'm used to the 10k + rev limiter on my fiero and hence this feels a tad too short!
Old 20th October 2005, 20:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Unicorn might not have made a real big impact when it was laucnhed, but it sure is making way for itself now. And somehow it looks really nice, and i'm kinda getting to like it more than the Pulsar. It would be great only if it had a fatter rear tyre
Old 20th October 2005, 21:14   #43

Yea about the rev limiter in unicorn its a bit of a shame that it wont go higher...donno y. i had a chance to ride my friends unicorn on the highway and boy it goes to that 100kph mark in no time...faster than any bike the company claims. well i think dats a true say. not even a karizma can beat a unicorn in a 0-100 race but after that the karizma takes over of course thnx to its 225cc power. Another thing i noticed big time in the unicorn during my ride on the highway with my friend is the speed limit...its kinda weird...at one point we were going 118kph and there was more throttle to go....then i slowed down thinkin that 120 is enuff with a pillion rider. after like 5mins i gave throttle like crazy and to my surprise the speed was stuck at 105kph not wanting to go any further. so i tried and gave FULL throttle...ie maximum the throttle was locked at max...and the speedo read 110kph! i found that really weird...and had no idea what was goin on in the engine. Is that a fault in the design or what or maybe cuz the enigne was already heated up....not sure.
Old 20th October 2005, 21:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastnFurious
Yea about the rev limiter in unicorn its a bit of a shame that it wont go higher...donno y. i had a chance to ride my friends unicorn on the highway and boy it goes to that 100kph mark in no time...faster than any bike the company claims. well i think dats a true say. not even a karizma can beat a unicorn in a 0-100 race but after that the karizma takes over of course thnx to its 225cc power. Another thing i noticed big time in the unicorn during my ride on the highway with my friend is the speed limit...its kinda weird...at one point we were going 118kph and there was more throttle to go....then i slowed down thinkin that 120 is enuff with a pillion rider. after like 5mins i gave throttle like crazy and to my surprise the speed was stuck at 105kph not wanting to go any further. so i tried and gave FULL throttle...ie maximum the throttle was locked at max...and the speedo read 110kph! i found that really weird...and had no idea what was goin on in the engine. Is that a fault in the design or what or maybe cuz the enigne was already heated up....not sure.

The reason why it hits the rev limiter so soon as i explained earlier is coz the gearing is short....a shorter gearing will always give better acceleration figues, but will not be a curse in city riding and for tourers like me!
Do u know what the acceleration figures for the unicorn is?
it does a 0-60 dash in about 5.4 secs, wiz a karizma that does the same a whole 1.2 sec earlier and also the 0-100 dash is completed in 21 secs and the zma is still arnd 5 secs faster....so how can u say that the unicorn can beat a zma is faster?

also the reason why u feel that the bike shows weird speeds is coz the engine cannot peak all the time...and hence u see the diff in topspeed..also for ur kind info, the max top-speed that can be obtained in the uni is 118, and thats on a dyno...so on road u can expect a max of 115 or 116 but the speedo will show 120+...so dont get excited when ur speedo shows real high and dont expect the uni to rocket past 120.....coz it cant go..
however, the uni can def beat the p150v2 both in acceleration and top-end and mileage figures as well.
I would suggest sproketting the uni to get mroe gear-to-gear fun and beef the engine bit, like how I'm planning on my friends uni!
Old 21st October 2005, 15:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I have heard from a handful of Pulsar owners and they dont seem to be too happy with the product quality or the after sales received.
GTO
Well that won't be me then....
Fantastic bike is the 150cc DTSi that I own and reliable too

Yes the Unicorn has better mileage and is a great bike too but I dont see Honda beating Bajaj in this one anytime sooon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks