Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Will Honda Unicorn takeover the Pulsar? - 150cc King.....
Yes 73 46.50%
No 70 44.59%
Can't say 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2005, 17:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastnFurious
not even a karizma can beat a unicorn in a 0-100 race
Are u serious?The Karizma and P180 will smoke the unicorn to 100,dont know about the P150.
Old 21st October 2005, 20:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

Unicorn beating a zma or p180 to 100 kph is just impossible and a P180 is the quickest bike of the lot. Also Unicorn doesn't beat the Pulsar 150 to 100 or even in gear acceleration, both are very close in that. I would pick a Pulsar over Unicorn for its looks alone and the the bits borrowed from HH used on the Unicorn makes the bike feel cheap whereas the Pulsar has high quality parts, great job by Bajaj.
Old 21st October 2005, 22:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24
Unicorn beating a zma or p180 to 100 kph is just impossible and a P180 is the quickest bike of the lot. Also Unicorn doesn't beat the Pulsar 150 to 100 or even in gear acceleration, both are very close in that. I would pick a Pulsar over Unicorn for its looks alone and the the bits borrowed from HH used on the Unicorn makes the bike feel cheap whereas the Pulsar has high quality parts, great job by Bajaj.
yo mate, ur saying that bajaj has better quality nd levels than honda????? think twice!
anyways, dont wanna argue about the performance coz its just ur own perception....however as per the actual test figures, its the uni which wins.....
Old 21st October 2005, 22:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

I wont agree that a honda product is than the bajaj's.
Just look at the recent pulsar units and you will know what I am talking about.

Its almost the same. Yes a tid bit here and there still lacks that excellent honda quality but the price and performance more than makes up for it.

about 1 bike winning over another it all depends on the driving styles and the conditioning of the bike.

but a unicorn can certainly not ever beat a karizma or 180dtsi.
Old 21st October 2005, 23:32   #50

yep some people got that right.....trus me a unicorn can kill a pulsar 150 netime...neday...but im not sure about zma or pul180....they got the cc advantage still...but the company claims that it is indeed the fastest accelerating bike on road rite now. it all depends on the rider mostly. well unicorn has conquered the 150 segment and whats left to do is to put it against a zma or pul180 and see how it fares...na i mean..put 2 good riders on ona uni n zma n watch em go.
And yo bout da person who was talkin bout uni not reaching 120Kph....talk to me....like i said b4 i touched 118 with a pillion rider!! and alone i touched 120 easily...and there was more to go...the bike didnt seem like it was chokin up.....donno how far i wud've gone 125, 130...it still remains to seen. so yea man dun even think about puttin a 150cc bike against unicorn...u'd end up losing a lot on bets!
Old 22nd October 2005, 00:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastnFurious
yep some people got that right.....trus me a unicorn can kill a pulsar 150 netime...neday...but im not sure about zma or pul180....they got the cc advantage still...but the company claims that it is indeed the fastest accelerating bike on road rite now. it all depends on the rider mostly. well unicorn has conquered the 150 segment and whats left to do is to put it against a zma or pul180 and see how it fares...na i mean..put 2 good riders on ona uni n zma n watch em go.
And yo bout da person who was talkin bout uni not reaching 120Kph....talk to me....like i said b4 i touched 118 with a pillion rider!! and alone i touched 120 easily...and there was more to go...the bike didnt seem like it was chokin up.....donno how far i wud've gone 125, 130...it still remains to seen. so yea man dun even think about puttin a 150cc bike against unicorn...u'd end up losing a lot on bets!
my dear friend, there is something called as a rev limiter on a bike...the uni hits the brick limter at approx 9300rpm...and since the uni has a short gearing, it gets to the rev limiter very soon..
BTW, the company claimed 0-60 figure for the uni is 5 secs and HH claims 3.8 scs for the karizma and also its the same horizontal engine wid a higher displacemenmt like the uni...the zma makes 16.8ps and the uni makes 13.3ps...so how can u say that the uni can beat a zma?
Honda says that " ITS THE FASTEST IN ITS CLASS" and not across all segments....the zma is unicorn's bap wid a 223cc engine!
so ur uni can never nudge past 118 kmph true speed coz it has a rev limiter.....the rest of the figures that u see on the speedo is just an illusion!
Now, both the bikes i.e. uni and zma has diff power figures, so how can a good rider make the uni win against a zma? even if a jerk rode the zma, he will win hands down!
Lets be realistic guys, and dont make biased comments here!
I have even seen the dyno test of the uni and hence know what it can do, so is the pulsars...

Last edited by fieroid : 22nd October 2005 at 00:21.
Old 22nd October 2005, 00:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

I voted for yes because this is India. Here anything with a H logo will sell like hot cakes and people will assume it's the best in quality over every other product. Facts be damned, when indians see the H logo they become like giggly school girls.
Old 22nd October 2005, 05:58   #53
BHPian

I would go for a Pulsar 150.
Honda Unicorn is no doubt a good vehicle. But the product has not changed from its launch.

Bajaj on the other hand is make refinements which is making a difference with ride quality.
The GAS shocks makes a different in handling on Indian roads ......that come bundled with bumps and pot holes

Exhaustec gives u a maked improvement on the low end torque.
Old 29th October 2005, 14:18   #54
BHPian

Well I relly don't think that Unicorn can ever beat Pulsar, because in recent years if you just see the growth level of Pulsar it is simply awesome, I mean the kind of changes it has undergone is simply amazing, and Unicorn on th other hand has only managed to make few graphic changes in the bike......

Wake up Honda guys this is not what the people are looking out here some stupid graphics on the bike what ultimately matters is the performance under actual conditions!
Old 29th October 2005, 17:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

seems like all of us here who went with Honda Unicorn were way of the mark ! The Pulsar is still the undisputed champ !!

Attaboy Bajaj !
Old 29th October 2005, 17:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
seems like all of us here who went with Honda Unicorn were way of the mark ! The Pulsar is still the undisputed champ !!

Attaboy Bajaj !

yea we were off the mark...i still can recollect those false neutrals on the pulsar
Old 29th October 2005, 20:07   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
yea we were off the mark...i still can recollect those false neutrals on the pulsar

Well if you have a look at the earlier bikes (Pulsar's) have (I am sure you will agree with me) undergone a tremendous change in the past few years, the good looking fairing, Nitrox shcockups, Exaust tech silencers, Alloys, etc.

Now the engine has been tuned which gives a better response and less falsey neutrals!
Old 12th November 2005, 04:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmourOfGod
Well if you have a look at the earlier bikes (Pulsar's) have (I am sure you will agree with me) undergone a tremendous change in the past few years, the good looking fairing, Nitrox shcockups, Exaust tech silencers, Alloys, etc.

Now the engine has been tuned which gives a better response and less falsey neutrals!
well all those function such as dtsi, exausttec, nitrox shocks are just Techie jargons to boost brand. with honda its diff, it has already provided all the refinement in engine, smooth clutch n gear and also monoshock. since the pulsar was missing all these you see upgraded version every 6 months. m sure we will see more upgrades to the unicorn besides just the graphics (which i myself will say are useless).

I own a uni and have to vote for the handling of the bike specially evident while breaking at high speeds. The inertia of the bike makes it stoop towards the front without side ways movement but the pulsar sways to the sides. This my guess is due to the monoshock.

in the end I feel the uni is for the longer run and with further upgrades on the anvil for sure. I vote for it.
Old 12th November 2005, 21:32   #59

See, it is difficult for Unicorn to beat the Pulsar, be it 150 or 180.
Honda had almost given out the news in Nov 2003 that they will
be launching a 150 cc as their first vehicle. That bike finally named
as Unicorn was released in Oct 2004, almost a year after it's news.

It was the most anticipated bike, as Honda had a reputation of
launching a CBZ with Hero Motors just about five years back in
1999. Almost everbody was expecting a CBZ++ (more stylish and
powerful, but what finally was lauched was an Ambition++. It may
make business sense to make a good commuter, but the people in
the 150cc bracket were expecting a highly improved CBZ.

Honda did deliver on giving an CBZ++ (finally Unicron) in engine
terms, but as far as making it a stylish product like CBZ, they
played safe and dissapointed the majority of buyers who held their
purchases for almost about a year.

Even I held my purchase of a bike from Nov 2003 to Sep 2004. After
seeing the Unicorn I was disspointed and finally bought a P180. The
shock of dissapointment was more than getting convinced to buy a
dull Honda with may be a better engine only.

In the mean time Bajaj worked hard and improved the Pulsars in
those two years and their hard work was visble in the way they
upgraded the products.

If Unicorn could overtake Pulsars, it would have done by now, as
Unicorn was the most awaited bike (one year passed since the
news of launch from Nov 2003-Oct 2004, and one year after the
launch from Oct 2004 to Nov 2005), because Honda as enough
brand power to do that.

But people have seen that if we leave the brand out, given a
product to product comparision, Pulsar is a more convincing buy as a
complete package and not just a good engine with a very very dull
body.

That was the first and biggest dissapointment and Unicorn as a
procduct will find it very difficult to overcome that. Simply adding
flashy stickers may work in the 100-125 cc segment. It won't
work everywhere, as proved by CBZ to CBZ* and Ambition to
Ambition 135.

Last edited by prateekkaul : 12th November 2005 at 21:41. Reason: Spelling change
Old 13th November 2005, 13:50   #60
Max
BHPian

I voted for can't say because pulsor looks great but I like ride quality of Honda engine. its smooth and silent and I think have little bit better mileage?. Also, I am 5' 10" and I find it more comfortable while sitting on Honda then pulsar. I feel pulsar's leg room is little bit cramp and is not suitable for heighten persons!.

Most Viewed