Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will Honda Unicorn takeover the Pulsar? - 150cc King.....
Yes 73 46.50%
No 70 44.59%
Can't say 14 8.92%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2005, 11:52   #76
Max
BHPian

in my city 2 out of 5 people seems to be driving pulsor! specially young category guys, all are driving pulsor these days. so its kind of comon bike now :-/
Old 2nd January 2006, 10:38   #77
BANNED

Time have passed since the Unicorn's launch and still it was unable to capture even about 15% of the market share which shows the overall quality of the bike. If someone wants to see the sales performance of Uni just open your eyes far wide and look at the road.It just created some fuss in the beginning and faded into oblivion.

The Uni also had it's share of engine problems. It's not a picture perfect bike like some assume.

The brand label alone is not enough to judge a vehicle's quality since every maufacturer had it's share of good & bad vehicles.

Actually the Uni's exhaust note is smooth which most of the guys mistaken it for engine smoothness.

Uni had nothing revolutionary in it. Time had proven that the MonoShock in Uni is a very basic one and it is very stiffy and it is not suitable for Indian conditions. Infact the MonoShock is an perfect ingredient for foreign superbikes which are driven on ultra-smooth roads.

The problematic gear-shifts found on older Pulsars were mainly associated with 180's and not with Pulsar 150.
Use Castrol Power 1 in your Pulsar 150 and you will find that the gear shifts are butter-smooth. And the gear shift problem was actually rectified in the DTS-i models itself.

And when it comes to mileage, the new Pulsar 150 v2 wins the race with a mileage in the range of 60-65 KMPL.

Pulsar 150 is still the numero uno among the 150cc with more than 90% of the market share since it has got great Value For Money (VFM).

And with Pulsars, Bajaj has shown the world that it can compete with MNC's and win hands down.
Old 2nd January 2006, 15:19   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
Time have passed since the Unicorn's launch and still it was unable to capture even about 15% of the market share which shows the overall quality of the bike. If someone wants to see the sales performance of Uni just open your eyes far wide and look at the road.It just created some fuss in the beginning and faded into oblivion.

The Uni also had it's share of engine problems. It's not a picture perfect bike like some assume.

The brand label alone is not enough to judge a vehicle's quality since every maufacturer had it's share of good & bad vehicles.

Actually the Uni's exhaust note is smooth which most of the guys mistaken it for engine smoothness.

Uni had nothing revolutionary in it. Time had proven that the MonoShock in Uni is a very basic one and it is very stiffy and it is not suitable for Indian conditions. Infact the MonoShock is an perfect ingredient for foreign superbikes which are driven on ultra-smooth roads.

The problematic gear-shifts found on older Pulsars were mainly associated with 180's and not with Pulsar 150. Use Castrol Power 1 in your Pulsar 150 and you will find that the gear shifts are butter-smooth. And the gear shift problem was actually rectified in the DTS-i models itself.

And when it comes to mileage, the new Pulsar 150 v2 wins the race with a mileage in the range of 60-65 KMPL.

Pulsar 150 is still the numero uno among the 150cc with more than 90% of the market share since it has got great Value For Money (VFM).

And with Pulsars, Bajaj has shown the world that it can compete with MNC's and win hands down.
Dude, you seem to be pro pulsar which is fine. Ur point of unicorn's quality is uncalled for as i feel its one of the best interms of quality. Check the survey on quality, mileage, comfort, fuel effe etc of all the bikes in one of the previous issues of overdrive and you will know where unicorn stands. Its the no 1 bike interms of quality. It only loses out in the styling department.

The pulsars are amazing value for money and theres no denying that fact. Only that the false neutrals and the not so refined engine did not go well in my books. I definitely think that the Uni's engine is more refined than the pulsar and feels more torquey and assuring.

Honda guys have got it wrong when they went for the cosmetic graphics styling and instead should have looked at giving Alloys and fatter tyres and maybe a half fairing with a slightly souped up engine..Things dont happen that soon out here does it..
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:46   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Dude, you seem to be pro pulsar which is fine. Ur point of unicorn's quality is uncalled for as i feel its one of the best interms of quality. Check the survey on quality, mileage, comfort, fuel effe etc of all the bikes in one of the previous issues of overdrive and you will know where unicorn stands. Its the no 1 bike interms of quality. It only loses out in the styling department.

The pulsars are amazing value for money and theres no denying that fact. Only that the false neutrals and the not so refined engine did not go well in my books. I definitely think that the Uni's engine is more refined than the pulsar and feels more torquey and assuring.

Honda guys have got it wrong when they went for the cosmetic graphics styling and instead should have looked at giving Alloys and fatter tyres and maybe a half fairing with a slightly souped up engine..Things dont happen that soon out here does it..
while many would rate unicorn better than pulsars i will rate them equal. Bajaj has taken strides in the motorcycle market in build quality and reliability department.
Old 13th February 2006, 23:37   #80
BANNED

honda unicorn

hey guyz..........this is nike here i"ve owned a unicorn from past 8 months and trust me its heaven i"ve ridden pulsar 150 n 180 and fiero f2 and cbz but unicorn is simply special i mean the best thing abt this bike is its as gentle as a family bike like activa and as powerfull as a racing bike in short it gives you power and smooth ness at the same time the mono shock is a real treat to all the indian riders as its too superior than any bike and no matter how many ever spark plugs pulsar fits in the unicorn steals the show with the single mono suspension and there was a issue abt the top spped of unicorn trust me guys i"ve touched 125 without any hassle this is after a minute alteration in the carburretor!!!!!!!!!!!!!so go in for an unicorn tofday n ENJOY be a wing rider.....................
Old 14th February 2006, 01:53   #81
Senior - BHPian

i remember reading this some where but i cant find it.can any one giveme the fuel effiecincy of
1)unicorn
2)150 dtsi
3)180 dtsi

i dont want the FE printed in the brouchers or websites or whatever.i want to know the actuall Fe that peoplle get.thanx a lot.

Rev
Old 14th February 2006, 04:58   #82
BHPian

Guys, Guys Chill for a sec. First, the question asked if the unicorn will overhaul the pulsar is a completely wrong question to ask. We know that the pulsar comes in the 150 cc and the 180 cc variants. The unicorn is only 150cc.

Lets compare oranges to oranges shall we!

Pulsar = Pulsar 150 unless stated otherwise

The Honda Unicorn, one of the most anticipated bikes to be launced in the Indian market was met with a declining smile when realeased. We think of Honda and we think of this magnificient company making some of the most powerful, reliable and attarctive bikes in the world and our expectations from this manufacturer though sub conciously was well beyond reality. Thus ended the hype behind the launch of the unicorn. But did they really put a dud of a bike in our market, ofcourse not. It was and is still up there with the best of them in the segment.

The bajaj pulsar, expectations for this company to come out with a blockbuster bike that would blow people away was limited. Then the pulsar happened and people were more than happy to go for the pulsar which everyone believed rightfully so, to be the best bike. Remember ads are a hamstring to customer sovernity. and hey! that was the only bike available that was not your standard commuter styled bike.

Lets break it down shall we :-

The monoshock : The first of its kind in India. Is it better than the dual shocks? Yes, if not why would they use it on all crotch rockets? With dual shock absorbers you are likely to have different damping ratios for the shocks. In the case of a monoshock the damping is even. Difference between the dual and the monoshock = Marginal, when it comes to a bike lesser than 150 kilos.

Mileage : Honda had to break with a realistic understanding that mileage is dependent on the way the bikes is ridden and mention an estimated fuel efficiency figure for our public. They stated 60kmpl. Does the unicorn return that much? Ofcourse not. Which bike does gives mileage stated by the company?

Pulsar, They first started out with an estimated 77kmpl. which was far far lesser than the actual figures.

Torque : The unicorn makes its maximum torque and maximum power at a much lower rpm than the pulsar and the unicorn engine does come up trumps with more torque. Low end torque is much better than the pulsar 150's
Looks : The pulsar comes up with max point in this category. With its muscular looks it won over a lot of people. The unicorn with its commuter styling and lame a** stickering could not keep up with the pulsar.

Rider comfort : The pulsar almost has a sports bike rider stance on the bike. The unicorn is more straight forward and stuck with the comfortable upright seating position. It is upto the consumer to make a decision in this category. The Unicorn with its smoothness and almost silent engine make for a more pleasant ride, but the pulsar does give the rider a feel that he is riding a "powerful" bike. Again, customer preference.

In Traffic : The unicorn with its 1340 mm wheelbase is not as flickable in traffic as the pulsar with the 1330 mm wheelbase. The turning radius in both bikes have not impressed much.

Service : Dudes, please what do you expect? go down to the nearest village and ask for a service centre? You've got plenty in the city, let the guys who reside in remote locations worry about the amount of service centres. It does not take long to befriend a guy in the service centre and have him service your bike. Its these little things that you do that helps. Don't expect to just hand it over to a bloke at the service centre and expect him to give personal attention to your bike. Make him.
All in all I weighed the options and went in for a unicorn 'cos I like more go than show. Show can be helped with the least effort.
Why do pulsars still run then you ask!

When you state a compelling argument to a friend who is in the market for a bike and show him that the Unicorn is better and he still turns around and books a Pulsar, you will know why pulsars are still rampant in the market.

Besides, there is little choice when it comes to the 180 pulsar. the only other upgrades are the karizma and comet or the bullet (Expensive)

My opinion will always side the CBF 150 that I own and ride. I am a forgiving person and can forgive bajaj to put out a bike in the market and then add "enhancement" to it to correct the mistakes or tie up to loose ends that were left when the bike was first released but I do get ticked with the Jimmicks that they put out with the so called DTSI and EXHAUSTEC and SNS.

Hey! Revvtec, the mileage figures stated by the consumers were published in overdrive the anniversary edition. Will post the figures when I find it. It should be lying at home somewhere.

Peace
DNR --- TCR

Last edited by TheCockroach : 14th February 2006 at 05:00.
Old 15th February 2006, 00:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

waiting for the mileage figures.....if any one can help me out with that would be great.

rev
Old 15th February 2006, 03:00   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
waiting for the mileage figures.....if any one can help me out with that would be great.

rev

buddy forget pulsar 150 and unicorn. The new king is Apache.

But if you want figures.

My 180 V1 gave me 38-45
My friends Dtsi-150 V2 gives him 45-50
An ex-colleague said he got 45-50 from his unicorn.
Old 15th February 2006, 03:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

your pulsar was the classic version right ?? so the dtsi should give you more na.
right now im trying to decide between the 150 dtsi and the 180 dtsi.whats the diff in performance is there a big diff or nothing much ??

a friends 150 dtsi gives him about 45 - 55 depending on the way he rides.was wondering how much the 180 would give.if its below 40 then i might not get it because im buy the bike basically for good mileage.if not i would have gone for a karizma or maybe something bigger.

Rev
Old 15th February 2006, 05:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
your pulsar was the classic version right ?? so the dtsi should give you more na.
right now im trying to decide between the 150 dtsi and the 180 dtsi.whats the diff in performance is there a big diff or nothing much ??

a friends 150 dtsi gives him about 45 - 55 depending on the way he rides.was wondering how much the 180 would give.if its below 40 then i might not get it because im buy the bike basically for good mileage.if not i would have gone for a karizma or maybe something bigger.

Rev

Yes mine was the classic non-dtsi version1. Dont really know if the DTSi really registers an increase in Fuel efficiency. I was pretty satisfied with my FE figures coz that was including the burnouts and wheelies and Traffic lights to traffic lights sprints.

180's power is more in contrast the the drop in FE compared to the pulsar150.

But I would suggest you look at Apache. Similar FE figures to P150 and more power. Looks better too.
Old 15th February 2006, 11:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Sad times for HMSI. The Unicorn isnt selling and there is excess stock lying around - production is 0 now !
Old 15th February 2006, 13:55   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Sad times for HMSI. The Unicorn isnt selling and there is excess stock lying around - production is 0 now !
Can't believe this. Some days back there so much waiting period for Unicorn.
Old 15th February 2006, 14:06   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_nike
hey guyz..........this is nike here i"ve owned a unicorn from past 8 months and trust me its heaven i"ve ridden pulsar 150 n 180 and fiero f2 and cbz but unicorn is simply special i mean the best thing abt this bike is its as gentle as a family bike like activa and as powerfull as a racing bike in short it gives you power and smooth ness at the same time the mono shock is a real treat to all the indian riders as its too superior than any bike and no matter how many ever spark plugs pulsar fits in the unicorn steals the show with the single mono suspension and there was a issue abt the top spped of unicorn trust me guys i"ve touched 125 without any hassle this is after a minute alteration in the carburretor!!!!!!!!!!!!!so go in for an unicorn tofday n ENJOY be a wing rider.....................
Go to xBHP and get your facts right and you will be forced to change your stand.

Even Honda is adopting Dual Spark Plugs in their newer models for India !!!
Old 15th February 2006, 14:21   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24
Can't believe this. Some days back there so much waiting period for Unicorn.
yeah man real sad ! we know coz we are OEM suppliers to them - sadly even the activa has taken a beating ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks