Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2005, 16:58   #1
BHPian

The Gearless Scooter Thread

Hi Guys,

Wifey had been asking for a scooter for long (she's a housewife, and apparently a scooter will be a great help in household chores, Gawd! plz help me understand women), bit I somehos managed to delay the inevitable. Now she had finally put her foot down, and I have no option but to get one.

I know as much abt scooters, as Saurav Ganguly knows abt playing hook shot. Thus, it's basically a distress call, help me out. Help me in choosing a scotter for her. The basic requirements are:

1. Easy driveability and maneuverability for both of us. Wifey is 5' whereas I am 5'10".
2. Decent power, good mileage, ok style and low maintenance.
3. Low initial damages.
4. Auto-transmission and self-start

I have considered the following -

Honda Activa/Dio
TVS Suzuki Pep
Kinetic Nova
Bajaj Wave

So guys, let the suggessions come pouring in ;-)

\N
Old 29th August 2005, 17:05   #2
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Wave and Pep are scooterettes i guess. So that leaves both of them out.

So we're left with the Nova / Activa. Among these two its the Honda that scored more in quality and refinement. But the Nova is more comfortable and is more fuel efficient. So i would suggest the Nova.
Old 29th August 2005, 17:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
TVS Suzuki Pep

Is it Suzuki pep or scooty pep?

I had driven Honda Activa & it's has got great driveability. Not sure about the mileage. This has got greater road grip compared to pep.
Old 29th August 2005, 17:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Pep is too heavy for the level of power and comfort it offers.

Activa is very very competent has great quality, but is ever so dull and its engine dosent as have as good a response as Dio.

Nova is the best bet I think. I havent driven the Wave yet so I cannot comment about it.
Old 29th August 2005, 17:38   #5
BHPian

Hi Tomer,
My Wife have driven both Nova as well as Activa. At Her Mom's house she drives Kenetic.

But she rates Activa in all aspects. I think it also has a decent milage and good pickup.
I own a Activa for last 3 years now and am very happy with it.
moreover I have not spent a penny on it yet apart from regular services. my wife have driven more than 12k without any puncture.

Activa really Value for money product from Honda.
Take a test ride and see it by yourself.

cheers
Old 29th August 2005, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since your wife is around 5' tall, I guess Activa or Nova will be a little too much for her. My sister is around the same height and she can not keep her legs down when she drives any of Kinetic Honda (which I have) or Activa (which my other sister has). She feels comfortable on her scooty.
Old 29th August 2005, 17:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon
Since your wife is around 5' tall, I guess Activa or Nova will be a little too much for her. My sister is around the same height and she can not keep her legs down when she drives any of Kinetic Honda (which I have) or Activa (which my other sister has). She feels comfortable on her scooty.
spot on deepak. wifey test rode Activa and wasn't very comfortable on it due to it's height. I know it's an excellent product, but it's seat was a bit too high for her.
btw, do you guys think lowering the seat height will be a good idea?
we will be going for test-rides of Nova and Wave this week-end. Any experiences with these two?

\N
Old 29th August 2005, 18:11   #8
Team-BHP Support

Why not try the Dio (if you haven't already)? The seat may be more to her liking.
Old 29th August 2005, 20:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

dio>activa>wave in that order
Old 29th August 2005, 20:22   #10
BHPian

Dio>activa>pep in that order. If she finds all this a bit heavy you can look at the old 2stroke scooty too if available. Both of you should test ride all the above before deciding.
Old 29th August 2005, 20:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dio,activa are good...but why dont you wait for kinectics new range...i'm sure they will have a model just for wifey!!!!what say??
Old 29th August 2005, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

id recomend the wave.it has good styling,decent milege and is pretty easy to handle and has class leading ride.the quality has been greatly improved(over the saffire) and the engine is pretty good.the most important point is VFM.it costs 36K on road compared to the activa's 41500 and novas 41 something.spares are also cheap.

the activa on the other hand has very refined engine but the suspension(especially front) is quite stiff and hence ride is not its forte.also average is known to drop over a period if not taken care of.avg is mostly in 38-42kmpl range.

dont wait for the italjets from kinetic as u wont find one for ur wife.the euro is what will come closest to ur requirment and will cost around 43K and is pretty tall and heavy and will be launched in nov 05.the one that is comming in sep 05 will cost around 47K,160cc,but its a big machine aimed at the young and sporty college going boys.
Old 30th August 2005, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

would suggest a bajaj spirit for you wife's height. had one for 3 years no probs at all.
easy to drive,maintain and light weight.

the bajaj wave is an 100 cc 4 stroke scooterette, check that out too.
Old 30th August 2005, 11:24   #14
BHPian

the dio is the best option for you and your wife it is the best among the non-gears and has better pickup than nova 115 and has a decent mileage too plus its a honda. Trust me you wont regret buying it
Old 30th August 2005, 11:53   #15
cnu
BHPian

It has to be Activa or Dio.

Both have the same engine and both give same mileage. Activa is lower and
has metal body while Dio is a bit higher, expensive by a couple of thousands
and has plastic body. I have an Activa and am pretty satisfied with it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed