Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:37   #1
BHPian

PULSAR150 UG III What tyres??

Hi freinds, I have a P150 III already covered 15k since 2nd march. Really a pleasure to ride, Minimum maintainance needed till now. The problem is The stock tyres, 2.75 x 17 front and 100/90 x 17 are good but sometimes makes me nervous in wet conditions and since they are tube type, punctures are pain in these hills terrains.

I want to use tubeless Tyres in my bike with Tyre Milk, so the issue of puncture is taken care of. Here is Shillong good tyres are very hard to come by, so the best option remains to go for stock Tubeless tyres that comes with P200/220. But again those are oversize tyres for P150.

So can experts advice, on the negatives, long term/Short Term of using bigger tyres on my bike? Please note that I tend to ride long distance and my avarage running daily is of around 60~70 km.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd November 2007, 22:19   #2
BHPian

After having searched for tubeless tyres for long.. i have reached to a conclusion that the P200/220 tyres are the ones to go for. I know the rear is oversized, and if you are too finicky, you will feel the loss in power, but like i said, there are no other options.
Please do not put that tyre milk (or any other puncture resistant material). Tubeless tyres usually dont lose air unless the nail punctures and get out of the tyre. I am myself riding with 2 big nails in my rear tyre for 2 weeks now :P The tyre milk only makes handling difficult and also corrodes the inner wall of rims.
Old 4th November 2007, 00:53   #3

hey there......the closest city for u to get a really good set of tubeless tires will be kolkota...i suggest u ask someone to look around and get u something from there.....sizes i am not too sure but u can specify the Pulsar 200's sizes. Should fit on the 150...bec my friends Pulsar 150 is running the 200's rear tire without any issues...good luck mate....
Old 4th November 2007, 11:25   #4
BHPian

@iamkapilb so how often do you have to fill up air in the tyre? I am tired of having punctures, already had 5 all due to nails. Thats why I am thinking of Tubeless. And I am not so much bothered about the pick up or Top speed, Cause I am a very sedate rider, I am looking for harms to the engine, Drive mechanism, Chain, on long term/ short term basis, As you can see, my bike is a very high milage bike, and is very reliable till date and I want it to remain like that only.

@evoVII what about the long term reliability, engine wear and tear if any, 'cause I am planing to change both the tires. (Depending on Budget)
Old 5th November 2007, 02:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

dude if puntures are your prime problems then there are various puncture kits that you can carry along, and also an eletronic pump to inflate, dont know exact details on this airpump, one of the xbhp guys has it, he says its primarily used by car guys, to inflate the tyre!

and if you just run out of the options for the rear tyre then my best next suggestion is that you purchase a honda unicorn's rear alloy wheel alone which is 18inch one and other rubbers and the rear brake set etc this will increase your options to choose more rear tyres that are tube less!

also get the nitrogen filled in the tyre if possible this will ensure the longest tyre life and the puntures wont bother you much either!
with normal air inflation one needs to check the air at least once a month but this nitrogen one needs to check the pressure at only once in three months intervals! this is much better option than the milk and normal air if its avaliable, it should cost around 15 bucks a tyre!
Old 6th November 2007, 10:10   #6
BHPian

@sumitkalindi I have been using 120/80 MRF TL rear for around 6K kms now and i dont think it does damage to the engine. maybe it does, but how do i know? atleast it doesnt show Logically speaking, it shouldnt.
I am not a mileage worrying guy. My 90% commute is on highways and the way i ride i get around 40-41kmpl from my P150 irrespective of tyre - I have tried the normal tubetype MRF, Low profile tubeless Duros and now this P200's MRF.
I fill air everytime i fill petrol. That ranges from 4 times to 1 time a month.
All i can say is, if you want to shift to tubeless, and unless you have the moolah to import tyres, go for MRF front and back. They are absolutely worth it!
Old 7th November 2007, 21:06   #7
BHPian

Thanks @kapil this was the info I was looking for. BTW are the rims for 200 and 150 same???

About my checking tire pressure it is same, only difference is I have to fill almost every week, so this should not be any problem.

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 7th November 2007 at 21:08.
Old 8th November 2007, 01:45   #8
BHPian

I have not checked if 200 and 150 rims are same, but i think they are. You can ofcourse confirm it yourself.
Anyways, the tyre fits perfectly in our rims, so no worries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks