Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2007, 11:20   #31
Team-BHP Support

As far as I can remember, last year in some magazine there was a description about a long distance endurance race (in most probably Latin America) where no bikes were allowed. But a mexican rider participated in a Pulsar 180 and finished the 3000 Km + race where only 1/3 of the participating cars could complete it. After the race he had mentioned that it was one of the best bikes that he had ever ridden. now that is some compliment and proves that pulsars are not bad at all. But I am not aware of the build qualities of the p200 and p220. Ideally they should have improved from the 180s..

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th November 2007 at 11:21.
Old 17th November 2007, 13:27   #32
BHPian

Under Hard Riding Conditions and for die hard honda fanatics the zma might rule...but if u look at the goodies being offered its hard to give the 220 a miss...i mean how can u overlook a digi speedo,oil cooling,rear discs,F.I over the UNDER EQUIPPED and now the long in teh tooth zma...i agree the zma's refinement & handling is def better(i own a 2005 zma) but the bajaj aint that bad either...same goes for reliability...maybe under HARD usage the bajaj product flounders but for NORMAL-SANE riding the 220 should be good enough...i love my zma to teh core and would never buy a bajaj..but thts just me...
i feel both are good in their own terms and it just boils down to which one wins the buyers heart!!
Old 17th November 2007, 18:32   #33
BHPian

abhi bilkul sahi bol rela hai buddy........
i would any day go for the ZMA...
Old 17th November 2007, 20:28   #34
BHPian

agree with abhishek totally on that, inspite of riding a p180dtsi v1,
would not buy a bajaj again myself too... though i love my bike....
220 for goodies, exclusivity and definately a good effort... for everything else KZMA...
Old 17th November 2007, 20:46   #35
BHPian

Yup buy the bike that you like after test driving both. It is definitely worth waiting for the ZMA FI.
I drove my uncles' P220 recently. It was brand new, so did not rev too much, but..
- It has a sporty riding position - may be a problem in city.
- Very much improved gearshift.
- Awesome console! Really lights up your ride at night.

Besides, I own a 2006 P150DTS-i with around 7000kms on the odo.

I have had one big accident in the first few months but no other serious troubles except for the speedo cable snapping off.
I do take care of her: running-in, not revving too much when engine is cold, always let the engine heat up before starting off in the morning.
The exhaust roar at high-rpms is to die for!!

Personally, I did not find anything wrong with the quality of the parts.
And I always try to park under a shelter, so no fading of the black instrument panel. You really should congratulate bajaj for starting the performance biking in India!
Old 19th November 2007, 15:19   #36
BHPian

Goodies and everything aside, Pulsars are known for their notorious silly niggles and problems every now and then. Peace of mind is something that'd extremely difficult to find in a Bajaj product. And when it comes to quality and reliability, HH wins. Hands down, no questions asked. So when you are investing in something which is quite expensive, wouldn't you want something which gives you a lot of peace of mind? Something, that will run free of silly stupid errors ? Just my 2 cents...
Old 19th November 2007, 17:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Goodies and everything aside, Pulsars are known for their notorious silly niggles and problems every now and then. Peace of mind is something that'd extremely difficult to find in a Bajaj product. And when it comes to quality and reliability, HH wins. Hands down, no questions asked. So when you are investing in something which is quite expensive, wouldn't you want something which gives you a lot of peace of mind? Something, that will run free of silly stupid errors ? Just my 2 cents...
Could you elaborate on the silly stupid errors on the pulsars?
Old 19th November 2007, 18:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Well I can list afew from the P220:

-- Console not coming alive at one go & needs to be restarted by switching the key off & then On. This happens atleast once a month & few have had it it weekly too

-- Clogged air filter false warning

-- Totally useless RVMs

-- Viberations on higher revs

-- Main stand scraping on curves

-- Problems with rear disks

I am sure people are aware of issues on other Pulsars
Old 19th November 2007, 18:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

-- Totally useless RVMs
I heard that Bajaj has come out with a redesigned rear-view mirror. Problem should be rectified after the change.
Old 20th November 2007, 11:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

-- Console not coming alive at one go & needs to be restarted by switching the key off & then On. This happens atleast once a month & few have had it it weekly too

-- Clogged air filter false warning

-- Totally useless RVMs

-- Viberations on higher revs

-- Main stand scraping on curves

-- Problems with rear disks

I am sure people are aware of issues on other Pulsars
Just as much, I'm aware of the cam tensioner. I know several ZMAs who've had problems with it. Arn's several times over. Including bunny's at 45k, if I recall right? As well as of several other guys (check xbhp). ZMA is good, but its not God. Except stand scraping, most P220 issues are getting sorted out. And its warranty is class-leading. As is the economy!

Plus check out the link of the 220 that went to Leh (posted by yogesh). Its not perfect, its pretty darn good.

And Scary - please. You are seriously mistaken. I know of ZMAs that are almost 15k more than you (in just over three years, mind you). and of classic pulsars that have done 1.5L. So please, cut out the euphoria. Your ZMA has not conquered the kingdom of Narnia!

And let's not even start on the spares - that's something P220 is now catching up on :( What can definitely be a deal-breaker can be the vibes - they are typically higher on BAL bikes.

Let's face it - most bikes in India are reasonably reliable, and in "casual weekend driving" as wanted by vv, both will pretty much make the cut. I suggest we end this drama here.

@Mods: Why not close this thread till v&v makes a reappearance - the gent has disappeared - no posts in this thread for two weeks. And the pulsar vs zma fan fracas is never ending.
Old 20th November 2007, 12:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Yes they are rectifying most of their problems that too FOC & for old customers & thats what I like about them.

I agree ZMA is not perfect heck I can list down its -ves as well but has much less issues than a Pulsar. Luckily my ZMA never faced cam problem but yes I am aware that its a very common problem.

To put it simply with Pulsars you will face problem but a solution will be available sooner than later & overall maintainance is quite cheap. With HH you will face less problems but even a small problem will be costly & really annoying.

After owning a 180 DTSi V1 & ZMA for little over two years all I can say is ZMA is pure bliss for highways & if you are not an Highway guy then P220 is the way to go.

Quote:
Let's face it - most bikes in India are reasonably reliable, and in "casual weekend driving" as wanted by vv, both will pretty much make the cut. I suggest we end this drama here.

@Mods: Why not close this thread till v&v makes a reappearance - the gent has disappeared - no posts in this thread for two weeks. And the pulsar vs zma fan fracas is never ending.
I agree

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th November 2007 at 12:05.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And Scary - please. You are seriously mistaken. I know of ZMAs that are almost 15k more than you (in just over three years, mind you). and of classic pulsars that have done 1.5L. So please, cut out the euphoria. Your ZMA has not conquered the kingdom of Narnia!
Amen to all the guys you mention. I'm amazed their guardian angels do so good.
And for the record, that isn't my ZMA. It's a Odo pic of Doc Arnob Gupta's ZMA after he completed his run from Ludhiana.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 21st November 2007 at 11:33.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:32   #43
v&v
Senior - BHPian

hi guys,
thax for all opinions.
i have brought the p220 finally. got delivery last sunday. rode around 150 k in three days.

My first observation -

1. Good Torque - No frequent gear change required.
2. Gives a Big Bike Feeling and gets road respect.
3. Fantastic Balance while riding
4. Power Full Breaks
5. Good Headlights

I think they can still improve the build quality further.
will keep posted the develoments
Old 21st November 2007, 16:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

I too am in the market to buy either one, i was going to put my money on the P220, but it has many many issues which are yet to be sorted.

Zma is a fantastic machine, only HH should give it FI and some goodies.
Old 22nd November 2007, 07:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Amen to all the guys you mention. I'm amazed their guardian angels do so good.
And for the record, that isn't my ZMA. It's a Odo pic of Doc Arnob Gupta's ZMA after he completed his run from Ludhiana.
heh, so we have common friends.

In which case, you would be aware of the kinda issues he has himself faced with tensioner, and varying life of clutch, disk pads.

On another note, I'm myself a fan of zma's almost silent uber quick pickup. But i think the difference has pretty much narrowed down between zma/p220 and ultimately, bikes are pretty much decisions of the heart, than just our kinda extremities!

are you overcharged from xbhp? If on BN, you can check out capt chitnis' p220 reports!
anywys, how's your alto FE doing? any improvements?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks