Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2007, 09:53   #1
BHPian

Bajaj Chetak care when not running for 6 months

Hi fellow TBHPians

My dad owns a 1991 Two stroke bajaj Chetak, which he has been faithfully using since the last 16 years. excellent peice of machinery.
start in half-a-kick after the customary side-bow,still return a decent 32kmpl (ofcourse with dad's 40km/hr-is-too-fast-in-the-city riding style)
but he is extremely passoniate about his scooter.
which is why doesnt even touch my bike and the car (wow i m so lucky)

unfortunalty recently he has to undergo a heart surgery and has been advised not to rise any two wheelers for atleast 6 month - 1 year.

Can some one please advise me as to how can i take care of this scooter if its not going to be running sucha long period. need specific pointers for protecting everything right from engine,tyres, body etc.

this baby may not be worth even a basic blakc and white mobile phone these days but still is a prized possession for my dad.

I have the following plan for the engine.

Remove the spark plug and pour a pouch of 2T engine oil directlty into the piston cavity and just give a few slow kicks to spread the oil around. (not starting the scooter.) hope this should lubricate the engine enuf.

Please help.

~leadf00t
Old 10th November 2007, 12:39   #2
BHPian

I still have my dad's Bajaj super (1985) and he has not driven it for 2 years now!

These machines can withstand a lot of abuse or neglect. If you can, just start it once in a fortnight, or slow kick it a couple of times every alternate day.

It will be just a half day job for your friendly neighborhood mechanic to get it into running mode even if you don't touch it for 6 months.

Ensure that you dry it when you wash it and don't do it more than once a week.
Old 10th November 2007, 17:10   #3
BHPian

My dad' Bajaj Super (1985) was left unattended for a year or so. when we realised that i was unattended we found that it was not in same place as we left it. It faced rains, summer and winner.

Cuz of rains engine interiors got rusted and i had to get it fixed at a cost of 4K. After getting it fixed it was back to normal and gave us a healthy 40KMPL.

As abdriver said
Quote:
Ensure that you dry it when you wash it and don't do it more than once a week.
keep it dry and make sure you start it once in a while so that in case if somthing went wrong you wud get to know it then and there, so that matters dont get worse.
Old 8th July 2008, 01:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

well dads chetak 2stroke 2001 model is still parked and he uses a activa now,

i havent started it nor have we taken special care, i just start it once in 3 or 6 months take it for a joy ride give a bath and dry it up and park it!

this way the tyres get their exercise and the engine too, i just clean the plug and ensure the plug wire is not loose as mine has a problem there, start it with a extra pouch of 2t oil which is 40ml (from castrol) idle it for like 10 minutes wait for the smoke to end and take it to a ride.

you can do the same, remember these are 2stroke engines they just need the gentle tap and they are back to life unlike the other 4strokes!

the other thing that can be done is at the end of each year you can change the engine oil, this surely helps a lot. also check the front brake cable and clutch cable they are usually the weak links!
Old 8th July 2008, 10:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

slightly OT:
i guess in few years(may be 10/15) from now, these 2-stroke scooters might become a rear thing to own!!! So save them. (may be then we will be having dedicated threads for restoration process!!)
Old 8th July 2008, 11:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
slightly OT:
i guess in few years(may be 10/15) from now, these 2-stroke scooters might become a rear thing to own!!! So save them. (may be then we will be having dedicated threads for restoration process!!)

kkr2k2 dont worry people like my dad and his would not sell a scooter like chetak, its too nostalgic to even part it!

and i forgot to add just check the electricals once in three months chetak has a good appetite for eating them away the sudden surges at times when accelerated so just give them a check!
Old 8th July 2008, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Apart from spark plug, carburettor has tendency to accumulate waste.
Unless you clean carburettor periodically, starting troubles will happen. At that time, you need to clean carburettor, spark plug, and give some start. Just note that it might some extra engine oil mix in petrol for some extra lubrication for some time.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

See this thread for some more tips : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-car-okay.html

cya
R
Old 8th July 2008, 12:40   #9
BHPian

hey rider60,

thanks for bringing this almost 6 month old thread back.
my dad's chetak had been lying for quite a while.
Since i too was in amsterdam for 3 months no one really looked at it. but dad took it a month ago to a mech spent 300 bucks the chetak stood true to its name. no troubles at all.
I did ride it last weekend and didnt feel a hint of trouble.

Someone had asked my dad if he wanted to sell it. but dad refused after all the nostalgic times he has had with it and obviously i too would let him to.

I though have a plan to upgrade the most sore thing in this machine which is the braking.
Can anyone give suggestion if I could install a small disc brake to the front?? that would give loads of confidence to rip the 150cc 2 stroke mill .
I dont mind spending some extra bucks coz i anyways will retain it and its invaluable .for me.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:55   #10
BHPian

1.drain out petrol from carb by staring engine at idle with fuel cock in off position.
2.cover scooter from rain cos there is possibility of water seepage in petrol tank.
3.lift scooter's rear tyre in air by brick support under engine side(if unused for 6/12 months).
4.after washing give underbody a mobile oil or rubber seal coating painting treatment if scooter is left unused in open area,cos under body of scooter is very sensitive to catch rusting.

these points are helpful for restoring my late father's 1989 model bajaj super in mint condition.scooter is not used since 2005,there is no sine of any rust or chipping off paint.
Old 8th July 2008, 13:20   #11
BHPian

fornt disk attachment is not possible because........

1.double side fork needed fork disk unit.
2.scooter's front nose section didn't accommodate disk transmission oil pipe.
3. front shockers diving area is too limited for disk bite.
4.parts are needed for disk unit,front new mudguard,double sided fork,new rim new handle bar/case for disk lever,pump/booster.
after changing hole front parts scooters character is gone in my opinion.
Old 8th July 2008, 23:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
hey rider60,

thanks for bringing this almost 6 month old thread back.
my dad's chetak had been lying for quite a while.
Since i too was in amsterdam for 3 months no one really looked at it. but dad took it a month ago to a mech spent 300 bucks the chetak stood true to its name. no troubles at all.
I did ride it last weekend and didnt feel a hint of trouble.

Someone had asked my dad if he wanted to sell it. but dad refused after all the nostalgic times he has had with it and obviously i too would let him to.

I though have a plan to upgrade the most sore thing in this machine which is the braking.
Can anyone give suggestion if I could install a small disc brake to the front?? that would give loads of confidence to rip the 150cc 2 stroke mill .
I dont mind spending some extra bucks coz i anyways will retain it and its invaluable .for me.
well i some how missed this thread back then and just revived it!

well the disk conversion is not recommended its a little complicated, so leave that part alone.
for better braking you get a brand new drum, shoes and cables. and apart from this you can definitely add the year2000 upwards model's ANTI DIVE suspension at front for much better braking!

do the same at rear the scooter will just feel too good after that!

and if you still want to revive the power may i suggest the clutch plate chance just for the nostalgic acceleration?

Last edited by rider60 : 8th July 2008 at 23:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks