Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2007, 16:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you want to buy the best bike in the cruiser segment buy the Avenger 200 without any doubts. And you dont have a choice either.

My replies are in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Hi,
(1) I rode this bike for a short distance (they wouldn't allow me test ride outside showroom campus) and found it stable, however it's pretty heavy and I am skeptical how convenient it would be to drive in chaotic city conditions (I stay in Pune, crowded as hell with poor traffic conditions). How easy it is to maneuver this bike in City?

Handling it might be different compared to other bikes when you start riding it but you'll get the hang of it soon and will not pose a problem in the city. I & JKdas can vouch for that.

(2) I am also skeptical about quality of Bajaj bikes in general - are there any serious issues with this bike especially regarding gears & other operational parts (clutch, accelerator etc) after couple of years?

Jkdas' Avenger 180 has been pretty reliable till not. No major problems except the starter motor conking off and this happened with a friend's P180 too and i think it's a generic Bajaj problem.

(3) I have heard that spares used by Bajaj are really of cheap quality - do you find those chrome parts rusted easily?

It's not that bad as you think. SInce youre in Pune and not in coastal Kerala you don't hae to worry much.

(4) Any other issues - like discharged battery unable to start the bike (since there is no kick start) or something similar?

Bajaj's have a generic starter motor problem, i don't know if they have rectified it. If not it could cause a problem.

(5) Lastly, I am short - close to 5'6" with medium build - do you really need well-built guys to carry off these heavy bikes. A friend of similar build who is 5'4" drives Thunderbird and says - it's not a problem.

It's all in the mind

(6) Lastly, a friend forwarded this review and wondering if it's really that bad or it was just one off experience.
Review on Bajaj Avenger by doclaw - MouthShut.com

Mouthshut is crap. I didn't bother to check.

(7) So all in all, would you recommend buying this bike (for someone who is already looking for something different and more than bowled over by Avenger looks) to me or better to stay away?

I would recommend buying this bike. I would say go for it.

TIA,
- Manish
Old 29th December 2007, 15:06   #17
BHPian

Guys,

My Avenger 180 is exactly 406 days old and done 8759 Kms as of today - 29/12/2007.

Here is my take - No Rust, No gear shifting issues, no extra maintenance - except regular servicing.

I have done Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore, Bangalore-Hampi-Bangalore, Bangalore-Trichy-Bangalore on my Avy.

Crashed once - Major replacement - front mudguard - Cost Rs.410.

I dont know if I am pure lucky, or does regular claening,polishing,lubricating play a part, or isit because I have access to the best probiking service centre in India - but my Avy is the best.

Just go for it...

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 30th December 2007, 23:10   #18
BHPian

Well the rusting is a definite problem. Besides me 2 of my friends own avenger 180s. All three bikes have rusted silencers. One of them had to get his silencer welded after it developed a hole due to rusting.

Besides that, I've had quality issues with some spares. As crazy mentioned, somehow the spare rear view mirrors rust really fast. The first time i got it replaced it rusted within a coupe of weeks. I insisted on a replacement and got it. But still the spare rear view has rusted more than the original fit. But this happened more than 2 years ago and mine is one of the earlier avengers. Things might have improved since then.
Old 30th December 2007, 23:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

The rusting problem is also partially due to the high humidity and salt content in the air. My Bullet when it was in Bangalore it didn't had any rusted part on it. But after i brought it here some chrome plated parts have started rusting. And it's not even a month since i brought her down.

Our weather affects parts and affects low quality parts much quicker. Better quality parts should be able to weather more nicely. I do know that Bajaj's plating is not very good.

But since our thread starter intends to use the bike in Pune which is miles away from any shore he wouldn't have much rusting problem like we do here.
Old 1st January 2008, 23:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The rusting problem is also partially due to the high humidity and salt content in the air. My Bullet when it was in Bangalore it didn't had any rusted part on it. But after i brought it here some chrome plated parts have started rusting. And it's not even a month since i brought her down.

Our weather affects parts and affects low quality parts much quicker. Better quality parts should be able to weather more nicely. I do know that Bajaj's plating is not very good.

But since our thread starter intends to use the bike in Pune which is miles away from any shore he wouldn't have much rusting problem like we do here.

Yes it is true that the weather has a role to play. But comparing my 2 year old avenger with my cousins 4 year old Enticer, the Enticer has only a quarter of the rust that my bike has. So, clearly there is a problem with the quality of some of the parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks