Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Considering buying new Avenger 200

Hi,

I Just joined the group and though I don't own Avenger now, I am considering buying one soon. I just love the way it looks and stature it has! I have done homework and also took test ride of the vehicle. However, before I decide - I just wanted to do do some research and ask members who own this bike for a longer period (say 2+ years).

I will enumerate my doubts here -

(1) I rode this bike for a short distance (they wouldn't allow me test ride outside showroom campus) and found it stable, however it's pretty heavy and I am skeptical how convenient it would be to drive in chaotic city conditions (I stay in Pune, crowded as hell with poor traffic conditions). How easy it is to maneuver this bike in City?

(2) I am also skeptical about quality of Bajaj bikes in general - are there any serious issues with this bike especially regarding gears & other operational parts (clutch, accelerator etc) after couple of years?

(3) I have heard that spares used by Bajaj are really of cheap quality - do you find those chrome parts rusted easily?

(4) Any other issues - like discharged battery unable to start the bike (since there is no kick start) or something similar?

(5) Lastly, I am short - close to 5'6" with medium build - do you really need well-built guys to carry off these heavy bikes. A friend of similar build who is 5'4" drives Thunderbird and says - it's not a problem.

(6) Lastly, a friend forwarded this review and wondering if it's really that bad or it was just one off experience.
Review on Bajaj Avenger by doclaw - MouthShut.com

(7) So all in all, would you recommend buying this bike (for someone who is already looking for something different and more than bowled over by Avenger looks) to me or better to stay away?

TIA,
- Manish
Old 26th November 2007, 20:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

One of my close friends, and a team-bhp member has an avenger 180 for 2 years. Will answer based on that experience.

(1)How easy it is to maneuver this bike in City?
Its not too easy. However, after one week of riding you should get the hang of it.
(2) I am also skeptical about quality of Bajaj bikes in general.
No (AFAIK). However, the shift still doesn't have a good feel compared to the Hondas/Suzukis. Not a problem as such, but Bajaj could improve this one.

(3) I have heard that spares used by Bajaj are really of cheap quality - do you find those chrome parts rusted easily?
Havent heard of other spares (i own a pulsar too), but the chrome mirror my friend got as spare rusted real fast (compared to the original one that came with the bike.
(4) Any other issues - like discharged battery unable to start the bike (since there is no kick start) or something similar?
No idea.

(5)do you really need well-built guys to carry off these heavy bikes.
Unless the tires go flat and you have to push. Should not be a problem!
(7) So all in all, would you recommend buying this bike (for someone who is already looking for something different and more than bowled over by Avenger looks) to me or better to stay away?
If you want a cruiser for the price, what other option do you have?

ALSO-
1. The shocks are real comfortable for rider.
2. But pillion gets thrown around.
3. Tank chrome reflects sunlight at noon. This could irritate. However, bike is real good looking, IMO!
4. A big negative of the Avenger was the absence of fuel guage . Thank god, its part of the design now.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th November 2007 at 20:48.
Old 26th November 2007, 20:49   #3
BHPian

Hmmm...useful inputs. I love the looks as well - but I don't have to have a cruiser, other options I might consider are Unicorn or Apache RTR 160.

One think I should mention is that I am looking for this bike for real long term (10 years maybe), so asking inputs from that point of view - I used Suzuki Shaloin for last 9+ years now and still don't have any major issues with this. So I am looking for that sort of long life & reliability.
Old 26th November 2007, 21:13   #4
BHPian

" (5)do you really need well-built guys to carry off these heavy bikes.
Unless the tires go flat and you have to push. Should not be a problem!"

Same problem i had....Thanks for info.
Old 27th November 2007, 15:04   #5
BHPian

I took a small test ride...in the probiking campus itself. Didn't help me much....trying to see if I can borrow friend's Avenger and feel the real one.
Old 28th November 2007, 10:27   #6
BHPian

I rode around on an Avenger when I went to Goa, this summer.. first time I ever rode a bike, truth be told. But it was really easy. It has decent low end torque, so no matter how much you slow down, the bike keeps going.. the grea shifts, I agree, could be slicker, but its a well biult bike in general. Its very comfortable (I ended up doing over 400km in 3 days), and you can ride it for long periods of time.. only down side is the mileage - 32-35km/l. Its probably worse with the new 200..
Old 28th November 2007, 10:58   #7
BHPian

I don't know about the 200, but my cousin had an Avenger 180 which i used to ride very often.
1) It's not difficult to handle it in traffic. Even in Pune. Infact the good low-end torque makes it easy sometimes!
2) It does have quality issues. Half of his silencer rusted and fell off. He knows three other people with the same problem. My friend has an avenger which has an everlasting front fork oil-seal problem... These are just examples. So 10 years is expecting too much out of it!
3)The clutch and gear-shift feel are poor (atleast on the 180)

If you want a real long term bike, nothing beats Honda. So maybe I think Unicorn is better! Other people's opinion might differ!
Old 28th November 2007, 11:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey hi!

i used to have en eliminator for quite a few years.. was in love with it.. i found it ideal for city use due to it's low stance and comfortable seating.. it didnt give me any probs for the four years i had it.. currently my cousin uses it and expect a battery change he hasnt faced any probs till now

am pretty sure the avenger 200 will be upto the eliminator standards in terms of refinment and usage.

i found it very easy to push the bike.. i once pushed the bike for about 2 kms to the petrol bunk when the fuel got over..

for 72k on-road no other bike will give you what the elim based avenger offers.

ps: expect on the rims.. i didnt have any rusting problem what so ever.. but that could be cos i was following the cleaning and care tips/instructions posted by v12 on his elim yahoo groups during those days.. his was one of the best elims i had ever seen.

as far as i remeber the silencer gets rusted if there is a constant accumilation of water in it.. the silencer has 2/3 small holes below and needs to be unblocked with a pin if it gets blocked.
Old 28th November 2007, 11:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

If your battery runs out then simply run along with the bike.

bike in gear, pref second.
jump on bike as it gets some momentum and get it started, by releasing clutch.

be careful when doing this.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:48   #10
BHPian

avy overall !

Hey manish ,

well , i dont know much about the 200 but i go my avy 180 on sept 29th 05 , and thats what i sill ride so i might as well share with you what i know about

LOOKS :
show me 1 cruiser in INDIA that looks better .
show me 1 another cruiser for that matter .

ENGINE :
Nice grunt , lovely low-end and pulling through the gears .

GEARBOX :
I guess false neutrals and bad boxes have been synonimous with bajaj forever !

RIDING COMORT :
pretty good actually , city riding can be a pain ( i live in banagalore ) . pillion rider comfort is almost NIL .

QUALIY :
1) well , my chrome parts have rusted too . . its not rust really , it turns kinda sluggish green . . You get really good cleaning solutions to make it shine but you have to do it every 2 days .

2) My brake lever broke within 5 months during transportation ( my mistake ) . . . the replacement part has worn out much worse than the clutch lever that came with the bike . . so i guess theres a quality issue with spares !

3) Exactly after around 2 yrs ( warranty over ) , strange sounds from starting motor and kicker . finally got it checked and i get a bill of materials for rs 5000 + 1000 labour . . . ( starter motor screwed , 2 flywheels inside partially broken , inside of magneto case broken ) . . and all his with having carefully ridden the bike for less than 10000km . .. hmmm . . quality issues ?? do i have to spell it out now ??

So . . how do i sum it up ??
It is definitely a great ride and i positively love it . . but like i said , quality is a problem . . forget 10 yrs , with good riding , you will be lucky if the bike runs well ater 4-5 years .

just my 2 cents
jake
Old 28th December 2007, 11:53   #11
BHPian

Hey manish ,

well , i dont know much about the 200 but i go my avy 180 on sept 29th 05 , and thats what i sill ride so i might as well share with you what i know about

LOOKS :
show me 1 cruiser in INDIA that looks better .
show me 1 another cruiser for that matter .

ENGINE :
Nice grunt , lovely low-end and pulling through the gears .

GEARBOX :
I guess false neutrals and bad boxes have been synonimous with bajaj forever !

RIDING COMORT :
pretty good actually , city riding can be a pain ( i live in banagalore ) . pillion rider comfort is almost NIL .

QUALIY :
1) well , my chrome parts have rusted too . . its not rust really , it turns kinda sluggish green . . You get really good cleaning solutions to make it shine but you have to do it every 2 days .

2) My brake lever broke within 5 months during transportation ( my mistake ) . . . the replacement part has worn out much worse than the clutch lever that came with the bike . . so i guess theres a quality issue with spares !

3) Exactly after around 2 yrs ( warranty over ) , strange sounds from starting motor and kicker . finally got it checked and i get a bill of materials for rs 5000 + 1000 labour . . . ( starter motor screwed , 2 flywheels inside partially broken , inside of magneto case broken ) . . and all his with having carefully ridden the bike for less than 10000km . .. hmmm . . quality issues ?? do i have to spell it out now ??

So . . how do i sum it up ??
It is definitely a great ride and i positively love it . . but like i said , quality is a problem . . forget 10 yrs , with good riding , you will be lucky if the bike runs well ater 4-5 years .

just my 2 cents
jake
Old 28th December 2007, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Hey Manish,

The Avenger is a good buy, but I sincerely doubt you can compare it with the longevity of a Shaolin or a RX100/135. I've owned bajaj bikes for the last 10 yrs, so by experience I say that you will need to spend substantially on spares and service post 50,000-70,000kms. Then will arise the urge to sell and replace the bike.......10 yrs with an Avenger.....I seriously doubt it.
Old 28th December 2007, 14:54   #13
BANNED

If you are not particuler about new bike then why not look for some used Eliminator, still i feels its having better built quality and better engine then Avengers, fule economy is bit less compared to these 180 and 200 but still its the best bat for indian crusers.
Old 28th December 2007, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

If you don't mind used bikes then look out for older Aquilas they go for around 75k or so But its difficult to source them & also parts might be difficult to get But an absolute monster at this price & stunning looks
Old 28th December 2007, 15:47   #15
BHPian

If your looking at long rides the avenger 200 is even better than the 180 cc avenger with more power and better ridability..however it being a cruiser it will be difficult to maneouver it in traffic...
You have to get your priorities right..ur lookin at bikes in different segments..stick to one..cruiser/commuter/sporty
The apache RTR and pulsar 200 have a wayyy too sporty riding stance and take a toll on wrists on long rides...but they're a blast in the city and short trips.
Whchever ways u cant go wrong all the bikes mentioned are good enough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks