Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Price for 1979 Bobby motorcycle

All,

A friend of mine owns a 1979 Bobby motorcycle which he plans to sell. It has been restored recently back to good health.

Any idea on the price he can expect for this piece of machine?

Also under which category (classic, vintage etc) can this motorcycle be classified? Please let me know.

Image Link:-

Nikhil

Last edited by nsbhagwat : 26th November 2007 at 16:43. Reason: Image added.
Old 28th November 2007, 02:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Check out this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...gts-bobby.html

cya
R
Old 28th November 2007, 12:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
A friend of mine owns a 1979 Bobby motorcycle which he plans to sell. It has been restored recently back to good health.

Any idea on the price he can expect for this piece of machine?

Also under which category (classic, vintage etc) can this motorcycle be classified? Please let me know.
Thats a nice looking bike. If recently restored by him, why is it for sale? Check if documents are clear, one time tax paid, registration renewed etc. They arent worth much, but its difficult to put a figure on it. 8k for a decent runner?

Im afraid it wouldnt come under any vintage or classic kind of catogory, not even a modern classic, though it should in my opinion!

If things dont work out let me know, I might be interested as well.

Cheers
karl
Old 28th November 2007, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im afraid it wouldnt come under any vintage or classic kind of catogory, not even a modern classic, though it should in my opinion!
Why is that Karl? Please enlighten us as to how the classifying works. I thought it was based on how old the vehicle is
Old 28th November 2007, 13:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
karl
Karl i would beg to differ. the bobby would come as a modern classic. if you have a 99/2000 Harley as a modern classic in the VCCCI rally then why not the bobby. it would have a slot in the vintage car rallies. the classifications are no longer followed, its only the owner of the vehicle that is seen, and a new category is formed. it happens only in india.
Old 28th November 2007, 17:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Karl i would beg to differ. the bobby would come as a modern classic. if you have a 99/2000 Harley as a modern classic in the VCCCI rally then why not the bobby. it would have a slot in the vintage car rallies. the classifications are no longer followed, its only the owner of the vehicle that is seen, and a new category is formed. it happens only in india.
Precisely, which is why I stand by my statement. Im not Vijay Mallya, so my 1960 Fiat isnt allowed as well. Unless the owner of the Bobby has some pull, I doubt it stands a chance.

While a broad classification based on year of manufacture does exist, there is a disclaimer that clearly states that final descicion is with the judges.
Old 28th November 2007, 17:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Quote:
Precisely, which is why I stand by my statement. Im not Vijay Mallya, so my 1960 Fiat isnt allowed as well. Unless the owner of the Bobby has some pull, I doubt it stands a chance.

While a broad classification based on year of manufacture does exist, there is a disclaimer that clearly states that final descicion is with the judges.
Well you could always allow such cars and bikes as they are unique and rare and do not run regularly on the road, at the exibition in Thane we had allowed the bobby and a 1980 250 honda super dream. if its unique,let it be on display, what harm in displaying it.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:32   #8
naj
BHPian

Hi!
Good day to all T-BHP members.
The Bobby in question belongs to my father.I had told Mr nsbhagwat to put up a post as my network was down/erratic for the last 3days.
The bike was always in working condition .Only that it has been painted /chromed up /engine o/hauled etc .Brought back to original condition.We have spent close to 15 k.
Frankly, I am abroad for 8 months in a year and my father who is retired has other commitments now keeping the machine in good health is becoming troublesome .He insists that as he has enjoyed the GTS all along,he would like to give others a chance to enjoy it.The GTS has been a prized possession in our family.We are not desperate to sell it but may if someone gives a good price and most important -takes good care of it.

naj
Old 29th November 2007, 01:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i am sure you can hold the previous records of the entries to your advantage while entering your fiat Karl. i am sure there would be many others who would support. a car belonging to the year cannot be refused an entry. the problem is everyone just remains a silent spectator and lets the governing body have its way. at the most what your car does not win a prize or get judged, what difference you can bring your car none the less. if you want i shall submit the forms and the car and the bike both would be in the rally. i had objected for the harley even though i know the owner, but since no one else raised their voice and the bike was alllowed to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Well you could always allow such cars and bikes as they are unique and rare and do not run regularly on the road, at the exibition in Thane we had allowed the bobby and a 1980 250 honda super dream. if its unique,let it be on display, what harm in displaying it.
for an exhibition everything is allowed as they have to fill the space but for a rally they have their own rules egangsta. you had the exhibition on your own and not with VCCCI so it is a different story. have one with them then you shall find out first hand.
Old 29th November 2007, 09:37   #10
BHPian

Question

Just a bit OT. Dont want to start a new thread on this.

What exactly is the classification for Vintage and Classics ?
Not in terms of any competition but generally accepted standards.

Know that Pre war and Post war are two good categories to classify.

cheers
Bullfrog
Old 29th November 2007, 09:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You can find the classification here, FIVA is the authority.

FIVA: Fédération Internationale des Véhicules Anciens
Old 29th November 2007, 09:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is no price really for a Bobby.The latest Autocar Mag puts its as a Classic of Yesteryear along with RD 350 and Yezdi.But my Bobby was allowed as classic in Hyderabad for DHAA Rally.Check out my Bobby pics in my Gallery
Old 29th November 2007, 09:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

now is the thread a discussion of classification of vintages or is the bobby under question which is the discussion topic.i have a lot of regards for naj and family to have kept it so loong and have been maintaining it well.

ram
Old 29th November 2007, 10:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
There is no price really for a Bobby.The latest Autocar Mag puts its as a Classic of Yesteryear along with RD 350 and Yezdi.
That Bobby belongs to a fellow Tbhpian.
Old 29th November 2007, 11:03   #15
BHPian

Sorry for going OT but given below is the link of VCCCI wherein they have clearly mentioned the classifications for Vintage, Classics and Recent classics:

Vintage and Classic Car Club of India - Membership & Privileges

Most Viewed