Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 21:18   #46
BHPian

At long last

At last, an Indian bike finally gets ABS, years after it has become a standard option in bikes being sold abroad. Many, if not most, major motorcycle accidents involve skidding and falling (see bblost's recent travelogue, describing one such fatal accident). ABS is the best protection against this.

Bravo, TVS!

I am not so sure about the RPL, it won't allow you to do stoppies
(Just kidding! )

Now I would like to see ABS on RE bikes... I hope it doesn't happen after I am too old to ride a bike

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th February 2010 at 21:23. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read our board rules before proceedding further, thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 21:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

About time!Given the numerous situations where one needs to come to a quick stop, this would be a handy thing to maintain a straight line and not skid/slide off the road.
Old 8th February 2010, 22:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Since Indian bikes are used so much for commuting, its a good idea to have combined braking system.
Old 9th February 2010, 00:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

This is really good news.

Absolutely agree with Rollin here... The REs ought to get ABS asap!
Old 9th February 2010, 09:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

AFA the info I got from my friends, the bike costs 80k odd.If it is white color then the price is little bit higher itseems(facts not proven).
Old 9th February 2010, 09:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice technology there. TVS should not outprice themselves on this.

The next they need to work upon is bettering the FI system and then launch it in the 180 avatar with ABS as standard. Also put a balancer shaft in the engine to ensure the vibs are eliminated.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post

RLP: In addition to the standard ABS functionality, TVS also has couples it with RLP which stands for Rear Wheel lift-off Protection. As the name is suggesting this system doesn’t let the rear wheel getting lifted in air in case of an emergency braking. As soon as the unit senses the rear wheel lifting off the turf, the front brake pressure is released for an instant which ensures that the bike is safely grounded at all times.
Cool stuff, but might disappoint stunt riders who stop their bikes with stoopies !

Kudos to TVS for bringing in technolgies like ABS into Indian bikes.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Now I would like to see ABS on RE bikes... I hope it doesn't happen after I am too old to ride a bike
Don't worry you can get your ABS here:
Saferide ABS
Old 9th February 2010, 21:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Don't worry you can get your ABS here:
Saferide ABS
Already have it. But it is not a true ABS. While it modulates the disc brake somewhat, it does not prevent it from locking. Therefore, you can skid and crash with it. [I have! ]
Old 9th February 2010, 21:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Already have it. But it is not a true ABS. While it modulates the disc brake somewhat, it does not prevent it from locking. Therefore, you can skid and crash with it. [I have! ]

Me too & the scratches were really painful
Old 9th February 2010, 21:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is old news, we will have to wait to see the benefits & downsides till we see these on our roads.

Quote:
At last, an Indian bike finally gets ABS, years after it has become a standard option in bikes being sold abroad.
Really? when did ABS become a standard option in bikes sold abroad?
Old 9th February 2010, 22:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is old news, we will have to wait to see the benefits & downsides till we see these on our roads.

Really? when did ABS become a standard option in bikes sold abroad?
How many bikes do you want listed? "Option" means you have a choice to have it or not.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:59   #58
BHPian

The possible benefits of ABS on 2 wheelers:
1. While braking on wet roads (majorly depends on wheel grip)
2. While braking when the vehicle is tilted (I am assuming steering while braking - say while negotiating a curve on a road -again partly dependent on wheel grip)
3. Braking when vehicle is in straight line on a straight road but at high speeds (this is where I see many vehicles hold for the initial stage of braking and then they wobble)

I think ABS will be mainly helpful (and potentially life saving) in point 3 above. In the other 2 cases (generally non life threatening) wheel grip also matters a lot. Just the ABS won't solve anything.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

@Rollin' Thunda- How many can you list? anyways I thought you meant that bikes with ABS as standard fitment, my bad, I didnt realize you meant it as a standard 'option'. Still its not a norm yet
Old 10th February 2010, 18:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@Rollin' Thunda- How many can you list? anyways I thought you meant that bikes with ABS as standard fitment, my bad, I didnt realize you meant it as a standard 'option'. Still its not a norm yet
I think all the majors Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Harley Davidson have an option of ABS on their street bikes. Even Ducati is now going to give one. However, persons who ride dirt bikes and some who ride dual-sports don't like it. [ABS performs very poorly on dirt, but very well on everything else]. Anyway, most bikes with ABS have a switch to put off the ABS, if required. I was complaining that not a single bike till date in India has had ABS. I think RE should have gone for an ABS (instead of EFI!) on its Classic 500. It would have cost around RS 20,000 extra, same as the EFI.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 10th February 2010 at 18:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks